All member reviews for The Nut Job

Disappointing animal comedy features insults, fart jokes.

Adult Written bydontwanttochange January 17, 2014

My review of Nut job

I think that Nut job is ok for a certain age group.There is some violence throughout the movie but it is still a great movie. Nut job might be frightening to little kids because at times some characters fall or hurt themselves and it looks like they might be dead. But they are not. It is a fun movie for kids who can handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 January 17, 2014

Mostly unfunny and boring animated comedy is just downright nuts...

Last year, the first animated film released was "Escape From Planet Earth". It wasn't bad, wasn't great either. It was just okay and had its moments. This year, our first animated film released is this film The Nut Job, which starts off fun but soon becomes a mostly annoying and unfunny comedy. This is coming from someone who loves most talking animal kids comedies, even ones that aren't reviewed well by most, and I was really looking forward to this movie! The film does start off fun and quite funny with Will Arnett's character and a pack of other squirrels competing to get the nuts for hibernation and a cool chase which makes a snack bar move (long story)! But literally when it gets to the point where Will Arnett's character finally discovers the nut store, that's where it goes downhill. The Nut Job, what could've been a really fun comedy, is turned into a really dull collection of endless poorly done burp and fart jokes and physical humor that isn't that funny, with a couple of funny and/or interesting jokes or things that happen. Honestly, I knew that they were trying to find the nuts and all but halfway through the movie, I forgot what was going on and it just felt like everybody was running around doing random, annoying things. If there are any highlights about this film, it does have a few funny and cool moments (including a random yet really fun "Gangnam Style" dance during the end credits), and the only three characters I generally liked were Scurly's best friend, Maya Rudolph as the dog and Katherine Heigl's character (there's something about Katherine Heigl's voice that I just love...I don't know what it is). Even some of my favorite actors including Will Arnett and Liam Neeson are just downright wasted. Based on a B Roll for this film that I watched on YouTube, the cast seemed to have a fun time working on the movie! It's just a shame that the final product is not very good. I guess this is how we start 2014. Hopefully there will be better animated films this year...
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014

Not bad... for a movie that looks like a rip-off of "Over The Hedge"

This movie- of all means- definitely did have a pretty basic humor style. The Nut Job would- for sure- appeal to very young kids, and even if this movie is a little nuts, It's not as nuts as it was thought to be. there are a lot of fart jokes, and the humor is a little bland, but once the credits started rolling, the cast did the "Gangnam Style" dance, along with Psy(That was the best part of the whole movie). There's better choices out there, but if you have a pre-schooler, it would not be a bad idea to see this one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBabbit January 20, 2014

To tell you the truth it's a bit squirrel-y

Once again this is a movie just for kids. It's clean (despite lots of farting...). It's not meant to impress adults; it will impress young kids (especially boys). The movie has a happy ending, it's not scary, the bad guys get caught and life goes on better than it had before... If you are looking to educate see a different movie. If you are looking to entertain kids on a rainy or snowy afternoon, book it! (I wouldn't take your gal tweens though.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byleakingrye January 19, 2014

thous movie suxs

Boo
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

Poor Movie

This was probably the worst quality movie of all of 2014. There are also a lot of fart jokes, burp jokes, and terrible cast for a couple main characters (the Pug specifically). For 7 year olds. And to add all the sex! Not cool.
Parent Written bytcumming November 7, 2014

Really Funny Movie

really funny movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 13, 2014

Below average animal comedy has potty humor mild action

My rating:PG for rude humor and mild action
Teen, 14 years old Written bybakeranimator August 15, 2014

Oh, Where Do I Begin?

This movie was TERRIBLE for various reasons. First of all, it's completely unoriginal, they steal story ideas from Over The Hedge, practically rips designs from Disney, Warner Brothers, and Pixar (doesn't Buddy look an awful lot like Remi?) Not to mention even the basis of the story is from a student film created by the film's director. Also, most of the characters are extremely unlikeable, including our main character, Surly. Don't get me wrong, an unlikeable protaganist in a kid's movie isn't alays bad, as long as the character is redeemed by the end (See "All Dogs Go To Heaven" and "A Christmas Carol") but Surly is merely "somewhat redeemed" at best. Also, there are many strange editing choices that don't make a lick of sense. Also, what's up with Gangnam Style being in this movie, there's really no reason fo it to be there, it's not part of a joke, it's just... there. It was like all of the songs they used in Chicken Little (2005) Then again, the film was produced in South Korea, where PSY is from, so I guess they were just mixing some of their culture in here? I guess? Also... fart jokes. Why? Some occurences of them weren't even needed, like in the scene where Surly, and Buddy wake up after a night of eating nuts, and for no reason, they just start farting. They could've completly removed that sound effect, and you wouldn't have missed a beat. So yeah, parents, there are MUCH better films to take your kids to watch. I'd reccomend Frozen, and The Lego Movie.
Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2014

Really good.

It's just like Over the Hedge, which I love. You guys will love it, especially your kids. I say buy it, two thumbs up and five stars. Yea, it's that good.
Parent Written bySJNBham August 8, 2014

Less than appropriate music during credits

When did Gangnam Style lyrics become appropriate for little kids?
Teen, 13 years old Written byfluffy gizmo July 7, 2014

Good family film

Parents should know this film teaches a lesson about working as a team.This adventure is filled with jokes,slapstick and other material to keep your kids enjoying it.
Kid, 8 years old June 14, 2014

okay

Too much yelling, lying,fart jokes,ect. It is okay but could be better.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 May 28, 2014

Surprisingly decent kid comedy

Decent kid friendly heist film with some decent jokes was entertaining. It wasn't great, but it was fine. Some shooting and animals in peril, should be okay for 7-8+
Parent Written bymomto1amazingirl May 17, 2014

Boring, violent, and crude

It's a boring movie and the writers tried to make it more interesting with fart jokes. Lots of "nuts" references, some of which are highly inappropriate outside of the context of this movie. If your child is one to pick up lines from a movie, you wouldn't want them saying "I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut" later on. This would only be funny to the really young kids, but I don't think the jokes are appropriate for them. There is also quite a bit of violence. Watch this one alone and then decide if your kids should watch!
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2014

It's good.

It's a good movie, but it is not as good as other 2014 movies such as Mr. Peabody and Sherman, The LEGO Movie, Rio 2, etc. It has some things that might scare little kids, but nothing major. The only reason this has consumerism is because they play the song, Gangnam Style in the credits, and it might wants kids to buy the song from iTunes, or buy a CD album with the song in it. The reason I marked it as sexy stuff was because in Gangnam Style they just say "sexy lady".
Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2014

Very bad

This movie was not funny, and everything was a failure. I could not wait until this movie was over. It was a big mistake to make this.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Only one good part.

Yeah, it's terrible, one of the worst a few of the characters die ( None of them being main.) And there is a heck lot of crude humour along with the terrible jokes. One of the squirrels hits on another one but she refuses. The only good part was the credits and those were halarlar. PSY comes in and dances with cast and PSY is animated ( Darn creepy too! ) Yeah, PSY may scare some children but oh well, it's funny. So, yeah,it's terrible.
Kid, 9 years old February 18, 2014

Bad movie for kids

Parent Written byMovieTracker3 February 12, 2014

This movie is "Nut" funny

There is a poor plot, terrible jokes, and too much death. There is a scene where the squirrel smokes a cigarette and the jokes are sexist. Don't waste your time, money, and thought about this movie.