All member reviews for The Nutcracker in 3D

Big-screen remake of ballet is too dark for little kids.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byellimatu November 30, 2010

please stop the horrifying images for kids

please take your child to see the nutcracker at the ballet or at least watch it on PBS. It is so magical, beautiful, makes a child wonder and think and find beauty. This movie has so many horrifying images - kids get enough of the terrible images on TV these days. There are things in this movie that scared me!
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2011

gjc.gj.

ghkvjhjv
Parent of a 10 year old Written bylelik January 23, 2011

I love this movie, and my 10 year old son loves it too. We live in Europe. American mentality is just too shallow to understand that kind of movie. American parents don't understand that kids can think over difficult subjects. They can read meta messages. American mentality needs the movies with meaning chewed already. European movies differ in the way that they make you digest. They make you think. And Americans just don't like to think. As for violence in the movie, kids do have a lot of horrors (just read Freud about it). The director shows the typical children horror and proposes the solution to them (to overcome it). Americans don't understand that the main idea of the movie is to make kids understand that no magic things change life, but they themselves (that's why the fairy couldn't help). This understanding comes with thinking over characters' actions.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow December 8, 2012

A fairly decent dark fantasy

I have never seen any classic Nutcracker films or ballets, and I never read the story, and I never plan to. But then I came across this infamous box-office bomb. I was uninterested at first, but then I saw that John Turturro played the villain. Now that was very interesting. I love his flamboyancy and thick Boston accent, so any movie he's in will have me interested. So I checked out the trailer, and my god, did it look cool. There were giant helicopters with long robotic legs, motorcycles with gattling guns on them, and some badass looking rat-humans. And I got exited as heck. I thought it was going to be a groundbreaking epic. I got it on blu-ray and watched it on my flat-screen TV, and it looked awesome. But I must say, I don't think it quite achieved the epic status it strained for. I mean, not to say it isn't good, but it's very muddled. First off, it's not as fluffy and whimsical as the poster suggests, and it's not quite as epic and adventurous as the trailer suggests. It does have some elements of both, but they're handled very unevenly. Basically, the film just doesn't know what it wants to be or who it's aiming at. When they're in the human world, everything is all dumbed-down and kiddish, but when they enter Ratworld, things get creepy, dank, and darkly humorous. Plus, NC himself is VERY annoying, with his high-pitched, scratchy voice and strange hat, which is unfortunate, because his visual effects are pretty cool. The rest of the acting is average at best, but the best performances come from Turturro as the evil Rat King and Nathan Lane as Uncle Albert (who I guess is supposed to be Albert Einstein for some reason). They both appear to be having enormous fun in their roles, and I really think they hit the note. Elle Fanning and Charlie Rowe are not the best, but you can definitely see that they're trying, and plus, they're just kids (I didn't see Shirley Temple bringing home any Oscars). On top of that, the dialogue is rather cheesy, a bit too funny when it should be serious and a bit too strange when it should be funny. The songwriting is also fairly mediocre, especially the ones tied on to Tchaikovsky's instrumental songs. The only songs that I really enjoyed were the Rat King's songs, which were delightfully creepy and humorous. So the film is really rollar-coaster in terms of quality. The big thing about this movie that everybody seemed to hate was the fact that it showed very little resemblance of a balllet, and that it was far too dark for something as whimsical and sweet as The Nutcracker. For me, however, those are the film's two biggest selling points. I hate ballets more that life itself, and if there were much more than a few brief dance scenes in the movie, I'd probably hang myself. And it is indeed quite dark, with the Rat King's soldiers bearing striking similarities to Nazis, and all the pictures of crying children hanging up on his wall, and a particularly infamous scene where he electrocutes his pet shark just for the heck of it. But I thought this all added to the atmosphere of the film, which was very nice. The special effects, production design and makeup were just amazing to look at, and they really brought some life into the feel of the story. So in the end, this movie is not perfect, but at least it's beautifully filmed and has a decent story. It certainly wasn't the enormous turkey that the critics called it, but I can't say that it's for everyone. If you're looking for something sweet and enchanting, go see some stage versions of the story. But if you want something dark, action-packed, and visually stunning, then this film is right up your ally.
Teen, 15 years old Written byminnie95 September 11, 2013

AMAZING!

i don't care what people think it's a fantastic movie i would watch it every day and love the songs! it's amazing lovely christmas movie
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

The Nutcracker: The Untold Story

I'll admit that this movie is very adventurous and "magical", but I think it is too different from the ballet (which I REALLY like). It was too dark for little kids (why is the mouse king the rat king? It's just wierd!) But I think it had some very cool special effects, and the acting was okay. Also it is perfect for kids seeking adventure.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bygerberia December 15, 2012

Horrible Nazi-esque themed adaptation ruins Christmas

Horrible warped representation of a magical children's holiday classic. Full of holocaust imagery, rats in military garb, oppressed kids, and a "smoke factory" that burns toys and comes a little too close to comfort for me in resemblance to Auschwitz ovens.....eew.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byEricaP December 3, 2012

Mistitled Review

This review is for The Nutcracker: The Untold Story. The Nutcracker in 3D is a stage performance of the original ballet.
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 2, 2011

INAPPROPRO

MARY IS TOO FIESTY AND WILL RUIN THE ECONOMY!!