All member reviews for The Omen (1976)

Gory original Satanism saga; popular but plodding.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRivern October 1, 2010

The Omen - A Classic (Horror?) Film

This is by far the absolute best movie I have ever seen in my life. Now, the violence isn't as graphic as CSM and some others say, and to be honest, it's quite cheesy. I don't fully understand why people believe that this is a horrible movie; it's just the opposite. It's basically about an American Ambassador who learns that his wife's baby son died and seeks to adopt another from a priest, pretending that the baby he used to replaced the other. Yet, the priest never told him that the babe was in fact born from that of a jackal, making it an important part of the movie. After a few years have gone by, he learns to his horror from the priest that his son is the literal anti-christ, and that he must destroy it before it can mature into adulthood. With the help of a photographer, he embarks on a bit of a quest to see if what the priest tells him is true. Now, yes, this movie is quite dark and has quite a few scenes of violence. The worst two are a nanny with a noose around her neck jumping off a multi-story building, snapping her neck halfway down and swinging/breaking through a glass window. The other is a man being decapitated by a glass pane on a truck, the reddish insides of his neck and head shown in a semi-graphic manner while you can see his head flying and blood spewing about. (to be honest, it looks like a mixture of ketchup and tomato juice) I would recommend this movie to older teens (15, 16) and older. Suggested MPAA Rating: Rated R for Disturbing Violent Content and Images.
Parent Written byPlague January 8, 2010

The Omen

Great movie! Not much scary as it is creepy. The killings are graphic, but the story itself is well made.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyoulouzer26 March 22, 2015

Not very good

Most of the gore is left to your mind, but people are skewered, and a head flies off. Its a bad movie as well, don't waste your time on this!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoony718 October 26, 2014

The Movie's Serious Worth: Two Stars Un-serious Worth: Three and a half

I was shocked to see that these movies are rated R. Honestly, the only reason I enjoyed this was that it was pretty funny, with the deaths redundant and the idea of a five-year-old boy in footie pajamas being the devil humourous. It's a classic--I would reccomend it. It's just for fun, not a serious horror movie. This is not gory and all very fake looking--it was made in the '70's. Most kids middle school age and older would be fine watching this. Even elementary students can watch this, like my eleven-year-old little sister, who was not fazed by even the "goriest" parts.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylimabeanzrule June 26, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter May 27, 2014

Didn't like it at first, but for some reason, I like it now

This movie isn't really scary. If you think your child is mature enough to watch it before 12, then I would. It's a classic!
Teen, 17 years old Written byJess17 March 31, 2013

Fine for the 21st century kid

Obviously a classic movie that for the time was scary but for nowadays there is hardly anything scary that this film has to offer. Several death scenes are no more gruesome than the likes of the Hunger Games and other equivalent 12 classified films. Very religious theme so strict religious families may disapprove. Also now very dated but I found it to be rather dull in comparison to other films of the era.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoemily December 3, 2012

Priest getting scewered. BAROWMAN!!!

This movie was not as scary as I expected it to be. It was very well made though. I adore Patrick Troughton and when I saw him in this movie, I was hooked. He played the priest very well!
Teen, 13 years old Written byconcernedteen123 July 4, 2012

One of the Classics-Isn't as Bad as you Might Think...

This isn't bad at all. It has creepy scenes scattered around the movie but nothing awful. It's more just physcological than a true horror movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 March 14, 2012

Fake and unrealistic.

I didn't like this no I didn't not at all boring and disappointing not scary dull plot cheap thrills poor acting cheesy blood what could be worse and raw dialogue.*sigh*
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn October 3, 2011

Clasic Evil Child flick is not for most teens.

The original Omen is a fairly disturbing, Gothic and of course, very offensive movie for hard-core Christians and firm believers in the religion, although I seriously doubt that you would actually want to see this movie if you were like that. Anyways, while it is fairly tame compared to most modern day horror movies, it is still very disturbing since the themes of Satan and a young boy being involved, and also because of some of the first inventively gruesome deaths in Hollywood. Still, I will always enjoy this horror classic, and if you can take a little bit of smarts with your horror movie, unlike most of the one's that we have today, you will probably enjoy it about as much as I do.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2011

On for 11 year olds and older

I totally love the movie it has some violent parts but it was very very clean no inappropriate kissing seance or anything that could and would relate to that. the new remake of the omen that was made in 2006 was horrible! very very inappropriate and you'd have to cover your eyes and your ears because it is so disgusting! i think this movie should of been rated PG- 13 but what do i know.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMarvin Martian February 18, 2011

Wait for double didgets

Excellent and interesting unsuitable for kids under 10, old movie, not much in it
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2011

Horrible Movie

It is by far the WORST MOVIE EVER! It's terrible. It's not even really scary! I watched it with my cousins and they were super scared.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2011

Not even that scary or bloody as it seems. The deaths are really badly performed and fake, but the movie overall is INTERESTING, but not scary at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 8, 2009

Some of the Greatest Death Scenes

A great movie. The death scenes are fantastic, with some great suspense scenes. Truly great horror thriller.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMiistukk19 January 2, 2009

... so... this is a horror movie?

I don't think so! it's just boring,a silly kid who crys when he goes to a church?! that's scary? ... And neither da 2nd... Damien: The Omen 2 ... another boring movie...even more boring that da first... dont waste ur time watching this...
Adult Written bydigitex30189 April 9, 2008

AMAZING!!!

Parents should note, that while this movie is celebrating its 31st anniversary this year, it's still pretty nasty. A priest gets stabbed by a falling lightening rod, a news reporter gets his head chopped off my a piece of glass that slides of off a flatbed truck (No blood, just inside view of neck) A nanny hangs hreself, and a boy's mother gets pushed out of a hospital window by the replacement nanny, and falls right through an ambulance (suprisingly, only a bloody nose, but still resulting in death). This movie should still be rated R and is not for anyone under 13, but if your child is scared easily, 16. Please note: IT IS STILL VERY VIOLENT BUT IT IS AN AMAING MOVIE!!! 5 STARS!!!

Very Good

This is a great movie with little blood at all, but the ways people get killed creep you out anyway. The soundtrack is great, the kid playing Damien is great, everything is great. Everyone should see this movie, but it is difficult to watch, despite the lack of blood and gore, at parts.
Adult Written bygitters April 9, 2008

devil child!

Couple adopt the son of satan. Received an "R" in the 70's, I'd give it about a PG or PG-13.