All member reviews for The Orphanage

Teen, 14 years old Written byMr. Fat Bubble June 8, 2014

A Beautiful Horror

The Orphanage is the type of movie that will leave you breathless. It has the tension and suspense, the subtle paranormal activity without much gore, and the mind blowing plot twists. These qualities are just a few of the many that make The Orphanage, an amazing, though provoking experience. There are few reasons that this movie should be rated R. One being the constant reminder of the many children that have died. Another being the grossly unhinged jaw of a character as a result of a road accident. The F-Word is used once. However, this no cause for the R rating. According to the Motion Picture Association of America, the F-Word may be used once and still be under the rating of PG-13. This movie should not be rated as an R, but rather a strong PG-13. There are many complex ideas and theme in El Orfanto, but this causes many thought provoking questions. The reading constant reading may prove tiring for some viewers, but I believe it made me think about and understand what the characters were saying better. In the last 15 minutes of the movie, several heart retching plot twist are made that, in my opinion, turn this movie from a creepy horror movie, to beautiful story of love and devotion. This movie also provides the tension and suspense that reminds us of a world where horror movies were not just mediocre scripts, large budgets, sex, and poor Computer Generated Images (CGI). The Orphanage is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen and it deserves more than a three star rating. If you're looking for a good scare, this movie's got it. If you're looking for a story of love and compassion, this movie's got it. I give The Orphanage a nine out of ten for it's smart directing and incredible story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightluver16 March 13, 2010

sooooo scarey

I watched this movie the other day and it was really scarey!!! The only thing that was not really scarey in the movie was the childs face i actually felt bad for the kid! But besides that it was super scarey!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byjfmp501 September 20, 2009

Great Thriller/Drama, might be a little disturbing to young kids

For an R-Rated movie, The Orphanage is surprising appropriate, and could have easily been PG-13. There is no sex or nudity at all, and there are only two swears (including one F-word) although they only appear in the subtitles since the audio is in Spanish. There is even very little gore or violence-although there is one scene where we get a 5-second glance at the mutilated face of a car crash victim; in another scene, we get a quick glance at the distorted face of a child born with facial deformities. Other than that, though, there are no disturbing or gory images. Young children may be disturbed by some elements in the plotline, though. Although there is little gore, The Orphanage is still meant to be a psychological horror film, so its overall tone is very dark and creepy. A theme of dead/dying children is present throughout, including some talk of murdered children and an instance of suicide. In the beginning of the film, a child is said to be HIV positive (nothing sexual is implied). The end of the film is very tragic but moving, young kids may find it upsetting though. Overall, this is an extremely poignant film about a mother's undying love as she searches for her missing son. It is beautifully written and has an excellent storyline. If your kids are uncomfortable about talk of death, or if you are not comfortable with your kids hearing talk of death, this may not be the movie for you. Other than that, though, there is no real inappropriate content. My 9-year-old sister watched this and was fine. In my opinion, this would be completely appropriate for anyone 13+; for younger kids, you should judge for yourself on a case-by-case basis. As long as your kids are not easily scared, The Orphanage is okay to watch as a family movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoïc July 12, 2015

Pretty terrifying movie, with characters and a rather ugly scary atmosphere. Open face with a lot of blood due to a car accident ... I do not recommend to under 12 years / Film assez terrifiant, avec des personnages laid et une ambiance assez angoissante. Visage ouvert avec beaucoup de sang pour cause d’un accident e voiture... Je le déconseille aux mois de 12 ans

The orphanage is a terrifying horror movie. With ghosts of children , a child with a deformed face, a ghost with a scary mask , serious injury with much blood. A medium comes in manor and we hear terrible noises and moans and so on ... This film really is not suitable for children under 14, who may be shocked by this film . And it 's still very good is pretty original story. Horror fans will be satisfied by this frightening spectacle Rating: 7/10 Pretty good movie overall. But sometimes a little farfetched . Horror fans will be very Satisfied by this film éopuvante . FRANCAIS L’orphelinat est un film d’horreur terrifiant. Avec des fantômes d’enfants, un enfant au visage difforme, un fantôme avec un masque effrayant, une blessure grave avec beaucoup de sang. Un medium vient dans manoir et on entend des bruits et gémissements effroyable et j’en passe… Ce film est vraiment pas adaptée aux enfants de moins de 14 ans, qui risquent d’être choquée par ce film. Il et tout de même très bien est l’histoire assez original. Les fans d’horreur seront satisfaits par ce spectacle effrayant Note: 7/10 Assez bon film dans l'ensemble. Mais quelque fois un peu tirée par les cheveux. Les fan d'horreur seront très satifait par ce film d'éopuvante .
Teen, 14 years old Written byTie dye Clark June 21, 2013

A film of substance beyond what the word "horror" would suggest.

A strong and simple story sets The Orphanage apart. This movie seamlessly combines a morose story of child loss with subdued scares and the occasional bit of gore. The mother's character is a strong role model, who will go to the greatest lengths to find her child. She is played by the fantastic Belen Rueda, who brings to life the emotional struggle that is caused by her missing child greatly. The language is used realistically, only to emote true anger or frustration. The same pretty much goes for any gore, in the small extent it's used, gore is only shown in realistic scenarios. The only two scenes with gore that come to mind are a finger being crushed in a door and a car accident. The fantastic ending is the highlight of this movie. I won't spoil it, but it's the perfectly emotional final act. It's final twist is a great one; a tight, unforgiving one that emits a sense of hopelessness. A strong, moody horror film that truly bends the genre into something much more dramatic and tender.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhockeyguy August 18, 2012

The Masked Ghost

I had just finished watching The Orphanage. It is about 4:30 in the morning so I started it at about 2:45 and I won't sleep tonight. The Orphanage starts of in an orphanage. One of the orphans, Laura now owns the orphanage with her husband, Carlos and her ill son, Simon. Simon has an illness that makes him see people the no one can see exept him. He makes a new friend named, Thomas. An old child from the orphanage. He had been deformed and wore a mask everywhere. He was kept away from other orphans. The haunting gets very serious after Thomas pushes Laura in the bathroom then locks the door. Simon goes missing and Laura hires a group of people to help her look for her lost son. There is more to the story, but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymilkandhoney August 2, 2011

LOVED IT

i loved it it wasn't really scary but it had a great story and was very much effective in the horror genre i loved tomas and his head bag thing i loved loved loved the costume i know he was meant to be scary and all but he's soo cute i just wanna adopt him :P
Teen, 14 years old Written bydanielellarby July 9, 2011

Sanish horror movie

Very entertaining, sweet and well acted out movie. With a great performance by Belén Rueda and a captivating and absorbing plot that will transfix you till the end. Even though there may be a scene of a little gore this movie is more like a drama since not all of the movie is horror and it focusses quite a bit on the characters relationships and the grief of the loss of a loved one.
Kid, 10 years old December 17, 2010

LOVE IT

it was such a great film, i wouldnt say it was quite the horror genre id put it in the sad genres i nearly cried at the end when she killed her self just to be with her old friends and son
Kid, 12 years old October 30, 2010

This is one of the best horror movies ever made

This movie was really, really scary. But it was also unlike any horror movie of the decade. It wasn't cliche like every horror movie seems to be and it was good. This is up there with Drag Me to Hell. An amazing movie.
Kid, 10 years old January 29, 2010

I watch the trailer - spooky, intruiging - AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I SAW THE TRAILER! IT LOOKS HORRYFYING, BUT GREAT! I THINK I'LL GET way TOO SCARED
Teen, 14 years old Written byHippieguh June 23, 2009

An all around incredible movie!!!

This movie is a good old fashioned scary movie. It makes you think. No stupid hollywood bloody, gory, stupid stuff in it. its just an all around great movie! i would recommend to anyone who likes scary movies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byastist7 May 10, 2009

I loved this movie passionately.

Have you ever noticed that horror movies nowadays are just become hack 'n' slash, sexed up, gored out movies without any real emotion or feeling?

Really sweet and sad!

This is a really good horror movie. Its suspenseful but it's not very bloody or anything. Its a really good story and its really sad!