All member reviews for The Parent Trap (1961)

Charming classic has some dated gender roles.

Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2011

Nice!

It was an awesome film, though I did find some parts harsh for young children.
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008
Kid, 9 years old September 20, 2009

I'ts great!

You've got to see it ! ! ! ! ! ! ! However if there is a divorce going on this may not be the best choice.
Written byAnonymous October 13, 2014

Classic movie has mischief and mild violence

This movie is a classic but it has mischief (the girls play pranks on each other and Vicki) and mild violence (Vicki throws a can at the father, the mother punches the father in the eye) but all in all it's a classic movie that I'm sure the whole family will love.
Parent Written byjustamomof2 April 17, 2011

The original is the best!

We like this better than the remake! Very funny, cute and keeps everyone engaged!
Adult Written byLowe's man July 29, 2015

a terrific ride

For all you've said about this movie's dated notions of the roles of men and women, there's also one way in which this movie was ahead of its time in its view of the roles of men and women. That is, Susan camped with her father, which was rather unusual for girls at the time. Viewers get the idea that Susan was a tomboy while Sharon was a "traditional" girl. This movie was also brave to tackle the subject of divorce, as back then that was enough all by itself to cause controversy. While this movie definitely has exciting moments, it all builds gradually. Think of the pace as like a roller coaster that goes up gradually before the big dip, as opposed to one that goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds like so many modern movies do. That's what makes this movie so good. And let's not forget the happy ending, where Sharon and Susan's parents got remarried to each other. Ideal. While that rarely happens in real life, I once had a neighbor who did just that- remarry her ex-husband. (I wonder if they were influenced by "The Parent Trap".)
Teen, 17 years old Written byBroadwayFan7 July 24, 2013

One of the best Disney movies ever made

The Parent Trap is probably my all time favorite movie, and definitely my favorite Disney movie. It is absolutely clean, and is perfect for anyone of any age, but it might be a bit hard to understand for children under age 5 or 6. Almost the entire movie is funny, with prank wars and children switching places, but is also a very touching story about a family coming back together. Hayley Mills plays both the twins in her best-acted role ever, and all the acting is played to perfection. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good, clean, classic, family movie to watch. I have seen The Parent Trap at least 15 times, and plan on seeing it many more in the future.
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2012

Awsome Movie

I love it! It is super funny and awsome. I could see this tons of times and not get tired of it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byapple 101 January 12, 2012

A very enjoyable movie!

When I was very little my parents showed me this movie and I liked it a lot! But I saw it hmm a few weeks ago for the first time in like 8 years and found that I understood it much better now and enjoyed it better. Its still an awesome movie and might even be better then the remake!
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2012

consumerism

fig newton's are mentioned, but great movie
Teen, 15 years old Written by*i*love*snoppy April 9, 2008

a laughed & cried.

THAT MOVIE IS THE GREATEST IN THE WHOLE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bypurplecatroo April 9, 2008

Very touching!

I liked this movie a lot. For sentimental reasons, I like the Lindsay Lohan version, better but this classic film has better acting better singing and a more wholesome message. A rare treasure