All member reviews for The Patriot

Many graphic battle scenes, not for all teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLuna Evergreen June 7, 2011

I love this movie!

Very entertaining but things can get VERY intense! But since the movie is trying to be realistic then it needs to be intense like saving private ryan! By the way- we are learning about the war in school and are going to watch this movie tomorrow!! I think some people will be scarred for life!! Lol
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion September 13, 2009

Graphic Violence, but Uplifting Messages...

When I came on this page and saw that parents rated this movies as "iffy ages 12+", I was very surprised. While not as bad as other R-rated films, this movie shouldn't be shown to anyone under the age of 14. That said, though it is violent, it is filled with positive messages of bravery, acceptance, and loyalty. This is a very violent film. Countless people are shot throughout the entire film, most with accompanying blood that sprays or spurts. One man has his leg taken off by a cannon ball (brief shot of the bloody knee), and another is decapitated by a cannon ball (it's in slow-mo; the cannon takes the head off, and you see the rest of the body for a brief moment before it cuts away). A man gets a tomahawk in the head, and another is bayoneted through the throat at close range. However, random soldiers being shot isn't the violence parents need to be most concerned with. Many major characters are killed, one of which is a child. Children are repeatedly threatened through the movie, with guns, torches, and the like. In one heartwrenching scene, a whole town is brought together in a church that is later burned. You see the screaming, crying people trying to break loose, and flames consuming the outside of the church. While no burning is actually seen, I think that it is this intense, emotional scene that given the movie its R-rating. No sex or language to speak of. Highly recommended.
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2013

the violence shows it like it is

there are scenes like when a guy chops up a guy so bad you can see the blood splattering and some scenes with language so thats what i think
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

good story-very violent

extremely graphic and intese violence, not as bad as Braveheart. not for anyone 14 or under
Adult Written byBigK75 September 15, 2009

Although a bit violent, a must see for all Americans.

A must see for all Americans. The Patriot shows what was sacrificed by the men who fought in the American Revolution in order to secure our independence and our freedom. It is quite violent. There is a good bit of blood and gore(obviously not for the squeemish), but if you can handle that, you can handle this movie. The message this movie puts across is 100% good.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Great Movie

This movie should be seen by every teenager. Very violent and graphic but brings home what the revolution was all about.
Adult Written byboone county April 9, 2008

I Cheered!

This film should have been rated PG-13. Sure, the war scenes are graphic, but there is no "senseless" violence; but a rather enlightening depiction of the extreme difficulty & sacrifices that our forefathers were willing to endure in order to ensure freedom for their children & future generations. It is also quite accurate, as evidenced by the historical book: "The Life of Patrick Henry". We consider this film a "MUST SEE" for parents who desire that their children learn about REAL US HISTORY, & the morality & faith behind the decisions that shaped our great nation.
Adult Written bykkp50662 April 9, 2008
Kid, 9 years old January 17, 2010

extremley violent movie for adults only

i think it was a good movie, but the movie botherd me so much i cant really like it anymore violence-there is bloody violence and lots of scenes that could easily scare kids, like a boy getting shot
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2016

pretty graphic

a awesome movie but alot of head decapitations and blood. hardly any language and no sex
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2015

Violence seems a little bit on the fake side.

I was watching this movie with my mom, and one of the first things that came to my mind was how fake the blood looked at times. It looked as if a little kid had found some very fake looking blood splatter and just slapped it onto the person getting killed. If it was a comedy, it would be fine. But this is not a comedy at all.
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written byljcc March 25, 2015

terrifying bloody revenge hate

inapropiate for any kids 17 and under
Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 22, 2012

love this movie

Mel Gibson always gets the gory stuff lol
Teen, 13 years old Written byColey13 March 30, 2011

Iffy for 14+

I like this movie but I don't believe it is entirely appropriate for even 13+
Adult Written byRandomKindaGuy December 16, 2010

A movie that should be exclusively for teens and not earlier

This movie is a farce. Full stop. Well, okay, it has a great soundtrack, and decent effects, but that's about it. This movie is washing white America's early history during the revolutionary war. According to them, there was no slavery, the blacks worked voluntarily. The ones who fought on the American side would even receive a payment (yeah right). The American rebels are ruffy, but yet heart-true good samaritians, and the British are Nazis. Yes, Nazis, because it was originally the Nazis in WW2, who massacred whole towns, or locked the townsfolk into their church and ultimately burnt it down. Such things never happened in this war of indepedence (although the American militias themselves liked to torture loyalists to death, èn masse). This is called politically correct history, folks. Additionally, the protagonist (played by Mel Gibson, who is known for having extremely anglophobic roles) insists to be a pacifist throughout the entire beginning of the movie, but seemingly has no problem to hack a fleeing British soldier to Kötbullar. Throughout the entire movie, he acts in revenge, not for the actual revolution, whose causes are not once mentioned. This film is neither acceptable for history buffs, nor for younger audiences, or people who speak for the rules of war (don't kill POV's or surrendered soldiers, especially if you promised not to).
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2010

an evil creation that is too violent to like

probably one of the most violent movies ever. people are shot (including a little boy), stabbed by bayonets, or hit by a pickaxe that was thrown at them.
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byLors April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycrap April 9, 2008

i hated it

it was a horrible movie and i think it should be NC-17 because it is very bad in violence
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written byblueyes18 May 27, 2016

Amazing, but..

I absolutely loved this movie! It is a very good representation of that time period, and has a very good story behind it. The father, Benjamin, helps the Patriots fight against the red coats and helps them win the war. He refuses to fight at first, because of events that disturbed him in an earlier battle he fought in. But he later joins the fight because a British soldier killed Benjamins son, for no reason. It is bloody, more so than The Hunger Games, but it isn't too graphic. Definitely not for younger children, and some teens may not like seeing blood. The father and oldest son are very good role models as far as their characters go, not all of their actions are award worthy, but everyone makes mistakes.