All member reviews for The Patriot

Many graphic battle scenes, not for all teens.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion September 13, 2009

Graphic Violence, but Uplifting Messages...

When I came on this page and saw that parents rated this movies as "iffy ages 12+", I was very surprised. While not as bad as other R-rated films, this movie shouldn't be shown to anyone under the age of 14. That said, though it is violent, it is filled with positive messages of bravery, acceptance, and loyalty. This is a very violent film. Countless people are shot throughout the entire film, most with accompanying blood that sprays or spurts. One man has his leg taken off by a cannon ball (brief shot of the bloody knee), and another is decapitated by a cannon ball (it's in slow-mo; the cannon takes the head off, and you see the rest of the body for a brief moment before it cuts away). A man gets a tomahawk in the head, and another is bayoneted through the throat at close range. However, random soldiers being shot isn't the violence parents need to be most concerned with. Many major characters are killed, one of which is a child. Children are repeatedly threatened through the movie, with guns, torches, and the like. In one heartwrenching scene, a whole town is brought together in a church that is later burned. You see the screaming, crying people trying to break loose, and flames consuming the outside of the church. While no burning is actually seen, I think that it is this intense, emotional scene that given the movie its R-rating. No sex or language to speak of. Highly recommended.
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2013

the violence shows it like it is

there are scenes like when a guy chops up a guy so bad you can see the blood splattering and some scenes with language so thats what i think
Teen, 13 years old Written byLuna Evergreen June 7, 2011

I love this movie!

Very entertaining but things can get VERY intense! But since the movie is trying to be realistic then it needs to be intense like saving private ryan! By the way- we are learning about the war in school and are going to watch this movie tomorrow!! I think some people will be scarred for life!! Lol
Teen, 13 years old Written byColey13 March 30, 2011

Iffy for 14+

I like this movie but I don't believe it is entirely appropriate for even 13+
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

good story-very violent

extremely graphic and intese violence, not as bad as Braveheart. not for anyone 14 or under
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2010

an evil creation that is too violent to like

probably one of the most violent movies ever. people are shot (including a little boy), stabbed by bayonets, or hit by a pickaxe that was thrown at them.
Kid, 9 years old January 17, 2010

extremley violent movie for adults only

i think it was a good movie, but the movie botherd me so much i cant really like it anymore violence-there is bloody violence and lots of scenes that could easily scare kids, like a boy getting shot
Adult Written byBigK75 September 15, 2009

Although a bit violent, a must see for all Americans.

A must see for all Americans. The Patriot shows what was sacrificed by the men who fought in the American Revolution in order to secure our independence and our freedom. It is quite violent. There is a good bit of blood and gore(obviously not for the squeemish), but if you can handle that, you can handle this movie. The message this movie puts across is 100% good.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Great Movie

This movie should be seen by every teenager. Very violent and graphic but brings home what the revolution was all about.
Adult Written byboone county April 9, 2008

I Cheered!

This film should have been rated PG-13. Sure, the war scenes are graphic, but there is no "senseless" violence; but a rather enlightening depiction of the extreme difficulty & sacrifices that our forefathers were willing to endure in order to ensure freedom for their children & future generations. It is also quite accurate, as evidenced by the historical book: "The Life of Patrick Henry". We consider this film a "MUST SEE" for parents who desire that their children learn about REAL US HISTORY, & the morality & faith behind the decisions that shaped our great nation.
Adult Written bykkp50662 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2015

Great Role models

This is my absolute favorite movie, but is not for the faint heart. The role modeling is great. It shows the true bravery of American Patriots. This is a very sad movie, however. A man witnesses his 15 year olds death and it may shock some. A man discovers his family dead, and shoots himself in the head. The main protagonists sons new wife is in a church as the British come and set it on fire. The people inside are shown crying and screaming, trying to batter down the locked doors. The son goes out for revenge and kills the main British leader (apart from general cornwallis who isn't shown nearly as much), but as he goes to assure the kill, he suddenly turns around alive and stabs the son with his sword. When his father comes, it is very emotional and sad. The violence is bearable for a mature 12-13 year old. The goriest part of the movie is when the protagonist hacks at a British corpse as his youngest sons watch. The impacts aren't shown but you see blood all over his shirt. In my opinion, thats not the most violent part of the movie. During a battle, a cannon ball soars through the air and takes the head off a man shown up close; blood sprays. Also at the end, a cannon ball rolls a wrenches the legs off american soldiers. It happens in a very gory manor. Blood sprays almost every gunshot, but it is bearable.But in the end, you will be on the edge of your seat screaming YES! and smiling. This movie makes you feel very good at the end. I would definitely recommend this.
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written byljcc March 25, 2015

terrifying bloody revenge hate

inapropiate for any kids 17 and under
Teen, 16 years old Written byEmarievo December 1, 2014

Great movie

Although violent, this film has good messages and a fantastic story line. Nothing a mature 12 or 13 year old couldn't handle.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar lord September 5, 2014

the patriot

the only problem with the patriot is gore nothing else
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz June 25, 2014

Revolution!

Great history film. I know everything can't be real in this video but it wasn't that inaccurate. You should show this to your kid on the 4th of July to show them what was lost for freedom. The sacrifices that were made was unbelievable. It is pretty bloody though. Maybe for a mature kid, 11 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGavin Tully May 5, 2014

The Patriot

Great film. Has some violence though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJasonMovie May 3, 2014

Good but one of the most violent movies i have every seen

I saw this movie and it is very violent but if you played Assasin's Creed 4 you get the idea. The main character's 2 eldest sons die and his family is in grave danger from this british officer who is a big dick the entire movie. A little bit of language but not to serious
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2014

This is definitly in my top 5 list!

It's really hard for Me to give this a bad age score, because my Dad let me watch this when I was 10. I really like this movie. If someone asked me what Me what My favorite movie is, this would certainly be in contention. The first time I watched this the violence bothered me a lot, so if Your really squeamish about blood and gore(there is a slight amount of gore in this movie), just don't watch this movie.