All member reviews for The Patriot

Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2013

the violence shows it like it is

there are scenes like when a guy chops up a guy so bad you can see the blood splattering and some scenes with language so thats what i think
Teen, 13 years old Written byLuna Evergreen June 7, 2011

I love this movie!

Very entertaining but things can get VERY intense! But since the movie is trying to be realistic then it needs to be intense like saving private ryan! By the way- we are learning about the war in school and are going to watch this movie tomorrow!! I think some people will be scarred for life!! Lol
Teen, 13 years old Written byColey13 March 30, 2011

Iffy for 14+

I like this movie but I don't believe it is entirely appropriate for even 13+
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2010

an evil creation that is too violent to like

probably one of the most violent movies ever. people are shot (including a little boy), stabbed by bayonets, or hit by a pickaxe that was thrown at them.
Kid, 9 years old January 17, 2010

extremley violent movie for adults only

i think it was a good movie, but the movie botherd me so much i cant really like it anymore violence-there is bloody violence and lots of scenes that could easily scare kids, like a boy getting shot
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2015

Great Role models

This is my absolute favorite movie, but is not for the faint heart. The role modeling is great. It shows the true bravery of American Patriots. This is a very sad movie, however. A man witnesses his 15 year olds death and it may shock some. A man discovers his family dead, and shoots himself in the head. The main protagonists sons new wife is in a church as the British come and set it on fire. The people inside are shown crying and screaming, trying to batter down the locked doors. The son goes out for revenge and kills the main British leader (apart from general cornwallis who isn't shown nearly as much), but as he goes to assure the kill, he suddenly turns around alive and stabs the son with his sword. When his father comes, it is very emotional and sad. The violence is bearable for a mature 12-13 year old. The goriest part of the movie is when the protagonist hacks at a British corpse as his youngest sons watch. The impacts aren't shown but you see blood all over his shirt. In my opinion, thats not the most violent part of the movie. During a battle, a cannon ball soars through the air and takes the head off a man shown up close; blood sprays. Also at the end, a cannon ball rolls a wrenches the legs off american soldiers. It happens in a very gory manor. Blood sprays almost every gunshot, but it is bearable.But in the end, you will be on the edge of your seat screaming YES! and smiling. This movie makes you feel very good at the end. I would definitely recommend this.
Teen, 16 years old Written byEmarievo December 1, 2014

Great movie

Although violent, this film has good messages and a fantastic story line. Nothing a mature 12 or 13 year old couldn't handle.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar lord September 5, 2014

the patriot

the only problem with the patriot is gore nothing else
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz June 25, 2014

Revolution!

Great history film. I know everything can't be real in this video but it wasn't that inaccurate. You should show this to your kid on the 4th of July to show them what was lost for freedom. The sacrifices that were made was unbelievable. It is pretty bloody though. Maybe for a mature kid, 11 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGavin Tully May 5, 2014

The Patriot

Great film. Has some violence though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJasonMovie May 3, 2014

Good but one of the most violent movies i have every seen

I saw this movie and it is very violent but if you played Assasin's Creed 4 you get the idea. The main character's 2 eldest sons die and his family is in grave danger from this british officer who is a big dick the entire movie. A little bit of language but not to serious
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2014

This is definitly in my top 5 list!

It's really hard for Me to give this a bad age score, because my Dad let me watch this when I was 10. I really like this movie. If someone asked me what Me what My favorite movie is, this would certainly be in contention. The first time I watched this the violence bothered me a lot, so if Your really squeamish about blood and gore(there is a slight amount of gore in this movie), just don't watch this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky12345 April 25, 2014

Not too bad

good movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 28, 2013

violent but awesome!

first of all i based this off of experience. i watched this movie when i was twelve. now this is the first rated r movie i have watched. my parents are usually very strict with what i watch and it was all my dads idea to watch this. it isnt all that bad. the only part to worry about is the violence. this movie takes place during a war so naturally there are guns, swords, axes, and cannons. there is a scene where a young boy gets shot and as a result his father Benjamin Martin (the main character) takes out his anger on a whole bunch of soldiers. he does this using a hatchet and a hand gun i believe. this scene is rather brutal. in it Ben kills people by throwing his hatchet into peoples heads and such the worst part was when he pinned a guy behind a bush and hacked and hacked at him. there were these to brief background scenes where a cannon ball is fire at a guys leg and it comes right off. in another scene the same happens but to a guys head. at one part a guy finds out that his family was killed and he commits suicide. a whole bunch of people died in a flaming chapel that that was done on purpose by some soldiers. there were many other things but the thing that i thought made it less gross was the fact that a lot of the really bad stuff didnt look all that real. personally, when i was twelve this movie didnt scare me. it excited me. it got me interested. for this movie i would just say "know your child". some are less sensitive than others while some are more sensitive. this movie was very close to five stars but it just seemed to long. it was interesting but it just seemed to drag. well, i hope this helped! ;)
Teen, 13 years old Written bynixman13 September 15, 2013

awesome

i loved it it was amazing kind of bloody but that is to be expected of a R rated movie it should have been PG-13
Teen, 13 years old Written byswaggyphantom June 29, 2013

Loved it!

Honestly, most kids by 13 have seen much worse violence wise and it really wasn't that bad apart from the leg and head being blown off and the stabbing fight between Mel Gibson and Jason Isaacs characters. I personally love the film and I'm 13, it wasn't too boring or anything at all.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma80slover June 26, 2013

FANASTIC MOVIE!!!

One of the greatest war movies of all time!!!!! Should have been PG-13. Language isn't a problem, neither is sex, but there is plenty of bloody war violence. Shootings, stabbings, decapitations, all with sound effects and lots of blood, but not near as bad as most rated R movies. Many major characters die though. Plenty of positive messages. Everyone needs to see this!! Very powerful and moving film! One of the best!!!
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2013

Not for kids.

Great movie! Violence: Gross. Definitly not for kids. Great movie but violence is way to much. Sex: The modern rich woman outfit for back then. Chests sort of pop out of dresses. One wedding. A girls mother sews a bag over one of the characters so to have nothing "happen". The father listens in on in the room where the girl and boy are as to be sure nothing is going on the mother says she sews better bags than her mom to her worried husband which presumes that, that is why they are married. Great movie though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySouthoftheBear April 13, 2013

Bad Violence, but Educational.

I watched this for school It is very education, depicting many of the actual battles in the Revolutionary War, but there are three main scenes that stand out as violent. Well, there are many violent scenes, but these are more about blood and gore. One is where the main character uses a tomahock and some guns to violently kill a British patrol. The other two are battle sequences where cannon balls are depicted taking off the heads and legs of soldiers. If you have your kid watch this, you may want to have them close their eyes. I would recommend this movie for anyone over 12, with out closing their eyes that is. There is some sexual content, but a younger kid wouldn't understand. The only language is the occasional d**n and a**. (Excuse my language) But over all, just know your child and what they can handle.
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2013

The patriot is good for older Tweens

No explicit sex or strong language. Benjamin is a great role motel teamwork and positive. But does has lots of violence and blood