Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Perfect Date

Solid romcom fun with two charismatic leads; swearing.

Adult Written bypamthemam April 13, 2019

A true piece of cinematic art

Wow. Where do I begin? For starters, everything in this movie is 100% accurate to real life. It was almost scary, I felt like I was reliving my teenage years. I too was a poor male who struggled with my identity but also lived in a questionably large 3 bedroom home for a "poor" man along with enjoying steak night (BOOM!) often with my failure of a father. Celia, her spunkiness and angst, really expressed how hard people tried to be "different" in high school, not to mention her parents that constantly praised people's ability to spend with her yet often offered group hugs. Overall, amazing cast. Could not have cast it (or written) any better. As for the age rating, I would say this suitable for adults 18 years and over due to the complex metaphors and constant sexual innuendos related to the college acceptance process. In other words, if I had to change anything, I would add another formal scene just to seal the deal. After watching this film, I felt like Brooks at the end of the movie. Content with who I have become. :) -pamthemam

Adult Written bySammur678 April 14, 2019

Suitable for all ages

The movie is a very well made movie and is apropriate for all ages I was so suprised when I watched it because it was better then the adds would recommend

Adult Written byprincesscupcake683 April 12, 2019

Favorite Netflix movie so far!

Right off the bat, I was drawn to The Perfect Date because of the stars- Laura Marano, Noah Centineo and Camila Mendes. I am a diehard fan of these actors and the projects that they emanate from (i.e, Austin and Ally, The Fosters and Riverdale) and they all acted very well. The movie had a lot of very good messages about self-acceptance, independence, honesty, empathy and being yourself. The movie had very positive, non-stereotypical ethnic and sexuality-based diversity. The very popular To all the boys I've loved before was a good movie as well, and I didn't outright hate Sierra Burgess is a loser, but that movie was highly problematic for having the main character blame her sins on her imperfect appearance and getting off scot-free. The story was a tad on the predictable side, but the plot wasn't too bad apart from the predictable streak. I don't think that this movie should be for 12-year-olds because while the language is infrequent, it's stronger than what I think a middle schooler might be accustomed to. If you are at least an older middle schooler, this is a good movie to watch with your friends and your parents. I reiterate- The Perfect Date is so far my favorite Netflix movie.

Adult Written byWamel4Horan April 16, 2019
Adult Written byDope Ratings April 12, 2019

A good movie

Has a great message and good acting! Its funny, exciting, pretty interesting but fun! I think this is a great Netflix og for children 12 and up due to some language and a bit of kissing. Otherwise a well done film with some of our faveorite actors!

Adult Written byMadelyn843 April 26, 2019

Bland

Meh. It was an okay clean time killer but nothing I'd recommend to friends or want to rewatch. Noah and his costar had such great chemistry in To All the Boys I've Loved Before, but here there was no chemistry at all. The female lead felt particularly stereotypical and one dimensional. The messages are good aside from the girl using her father and his poker connections to get the guy an interview. That was never quite condemned, but most of the other dishonesty was. The movie centers around finding yourself and being a good person which is important.

Parent Written byIleneFar April 22, 2019

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The entire theme of the movie is sex and dating, which I do not want to expose my child to. No sexual acts are shown, but they are referenced and couples kiss. Swearing(Sh*t damn, hell), offencive/racist comments("Italian sub for the Italian guy"), and a character is an alcoholic.