All member reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Book-based drama for mature teens tackles tough subjects.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byStuFrogDogg October 9, 2012

Right on Time for my 7th grader!

I have not read the book, but just took my mature 12 (13 next month) year old to see this tonight hoping to generate some conversation about what to expect in the next few years ...And, of course, how to manage those situations. I'm happy to say that it worked like a charm! The movie introduced teen interpersonal relationships (both hetero and homosexual), the power of friendship, the effect of drugs (for the average teen, we're not talking Go Ask Alice here) and alcohol on your judgement. It also showed how lonely all teeneagers are when they're alone with their thoughts. We've already had a great conversation on the drive home from the theater, and I'm hoping to have a couple more of the coming days. Lots of these topics are RIGHT ON TIME for my 7th grade kid. So glad I took him to see it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byheylookitsgrace September 29, 2012

Fantastic Film with Mature Subject Matters

I thought that this movie was fantastic! They left some stuff out from the book, but it was really well done and well acted, especially Ezra Miller :) there was a lot of heavy topics in this movie, including abuse and child molestation (several cases). There is a fight between Patrick and Brad after they get caught together, and there drugs and alcohol are used often at their parties. Sex and sexual content is another thing to worry about. Overall, I think that it's OK for some 12 or 13 aged kids, but it really depends on there maturity. I think that at age 14 though, you should be able to handle it and really quite enjoy it! Hope this helps.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshadowgirl1234 October 5, 2012

Inspiring

This was probably the most inspiring movie I have ever seen. It had such a good massage about being who you are and really made ne think. Loved it.
Parent Written byFlynn Rider September 3, 2013

Please read my review; NOT a family movie- this is a vulgar one; beware young children

When I was about to watch this movie, I expected an inspirational, upbeat, touching, somewhat racy picture of high school as seen in the trailer. I thought this would be a good movie for my family to enjoy. Instead, I was greeted with vulgar sexuality, salty language, underage drinking and drugs, violence, and more. I won't get into the basics- CommonSense covers that- but you must understand that this is a horrible, negative, inaccurate portrayal of high school, and overall, a definitely horrible film. This is not a family movie. DO NOT WATCH THIS if you have kids under the age of 17. I'm not exaggerating about this poisonous garbage.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byPA CA Mom January 30, 2013

The Perks of Alcohol and Drugs

The main characters are positive role models in that there is comfort with homosexuality, valuing of literature and intelligence, and overcoming adversity. A main positive message is the importance of professional therapy. Amidst the sexual promiscuity, domestic abuse, and violence, the main concern for me with this movie is that drugs and alcohol play a prominent role in lubricating friendships, without any significant repercussions. Parents may say that this movie provides a good forum for discussion with their teens about the dangers of drugs, but much of that message could pale in comparison to the images and story line which actually make drugs compelling. While this movie may be appropriate for some mid-teens who are solidly grounded, it is not for young teens who are vulnerable.
Parent Written byJustin Collier May 19, 2014
Many adults who behave like 5 year old puritans watch this movie and think "ew, gross, gay people, three whole marijuanas!" but this movie contains nothing worse than what the average 9 year old with access to the internet, or books, or TV. has seen.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byBrock715 October 21, 2012

Trailer Misleads -- This is a Troubling, Sordid Tale

If you want to take your child to see a movie about child molestation, pot brownies, acid trips, suicide, mental illness, disconnected parents and gay stereotypes, then this would be a good film for you. Yeah, the relationship between the 3 main characters is a decent example of friendship, but overall this movie is full of forced, gratuitous and, ultimately valueless, drama. Was hoping for stuff to talk about with my middle school daughter, instead I just wanted to hit 'delete' on 2 hours of wasted time. A big letdown...
Parent of a 14 year old Written bycolten97 February 18, 2013

High school can be very challenging. It is important to have good friends.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a heartfelt and sincere adaptation that's bolstered by strong lead performances. About 2 F-words, 4 sexual references, 6 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 6 mild obscenities, 4 derogatory terms for homosexuals, 1 derogatory racial remark, name-calling, exclamations, 5 religious profanities, 6 religious exclamations. A teen boy and a teen girl are see taking LSD and the teen boy is seen extremely intoxicated, a teen boy eats what is implied to be a brownie with marijuana in it and he acts intoxicated, a teen girl clarifies with a young man that he had given a teen boy a drugged brownie and then asks the teen boy if he had been "stoned" before, and a young man acts intoxicated throughout the movie. Throughout the movie we see teen boys and girls drinking alcohol at parties, a teen girl and a teen boy share a bottle of wine, a teen boy drinks from a thermos to the point of drunkenness as he drives a truck with another teen boy as a passenger, and a teen girl tells a teen boy that her father collects wine but does not drink. We see a teen girl holding a cigarette. During a teen boy's voiceover it is implied that he had been molested by his aunt: we see a flashback of a woman's hand touching a boy's upper thigh as she tells him not to wake up his sister. A teen boy and a teen girl share a lingering kiss as the teen girl grabs the teen boy's upper thigh and they recline on a bed; sex is implied when we see the teen boy leaving the house the following morning. A teen boy and a teen girl kiss and the girl puts the boy's hands on her breasts; they lie down on a sofa and continue to kiss passionately until they are interrupted by her parents coming home. We see a montage of a teen boy and a teen girl kissing and the teen boy is shown grabbing the girl's breasts as we hear the teen boy's voiceover explaining that he is "tired of grabbing" the teen girl's breasts. A teen boy sees a teen girl and a young man kissing passionately. A teen girl kisses a teen boy and then pulls away and hugs him. A teen boy kisses another teen boy and then pulls away and apologizes. We see a teen girl kiss a young man. A teen girl kisses a teen boy through the open window of a truck. A teen boy watches his teenage sister kiss a teen boy. A teen girl kisses a teen boy on the cheek. A teen girl wraps her arms around a teen boy, hugging him. A teen boy walks into a room and sees two other teen boys kissing. A teen boy dares another teen boy to kiss "the prettiest girl in the room"; he kisses a teen girl and another teen girl begins to cry and rushes out of the room. A teen boy makes teasing kissing faces at a teen girl. On multiple occasions we see teen boys and teen girls pantomiming along to a movie with both the boys and the girls wearing corsets and underwear; a teen boy wearing a corset dances suggestively in front of another teen boy sitting in the audience and during one reenactment we see the movie screen with a man on top of a woman, kissing passionately as a teen girl and a teen boy re-enact the scene in the background with the girl running her hands down the body of the teen boy. A teen boy asks another teen boy to not tell anyone that he had seen the boy and another teen boy kissing, explaining that his partner does not want people to know he is gay. A teen boy narrative explains that he had been told by a teen girl that another teen boy was engaging in a sexual relationship with another teen boy and that the teen boy would have to "get drunk" in order to have sex and then would lie about it the following morning. A teen boy's voiceover explains that he had learned that a teen girl was sexually promiscuous when she was younger, often going to parties and having sex with older high school students. A teen boy tells another teen boy a story of a teen girl and a teen boy who had been forced to use a sandwich bag as a condom when having sex at a park. A teen boy jokingly tells two teen girls to perform oral sex on a boy to welcome him to a party. We hear a teen girl describe nearly being caught with a teen boy by her parents to a group of other teens. A teen boy tells another teen boy about a girl who had developed breasts when she was younger and would let people touch them. A teen girl asks a teen boy if he had ever kissed a girl; he says no, then asks a teen girl if "she has" and she laughs and says that she had never kissed a girl. A teen girl tells a teen boy that she wants the teen boy's first kiss to be from someone special. A teen girl tells a teen boy that her first kiss was at age 11, from an older man. A teen girl tells a teen boy that a young man is unsuccessfully trying to have a relationship with a waitress and the teen girl then makes a crude joke. A teen boy teases two other teen boys, pushing them together and saying, "Get a room." A teen boy's voiceover explains that he is writing the letter because the reader had chosen not to "sleep with" a person even though they were able and willing. A teen boy's voiceover explains that a teen girl had found out that her older boyfriend had revealed that he was cheating on her previously. A teen girl makes a crude remark to two other teen girls and calls them virgins.
Parent Written byMindfulParent247 June 7, 2013

Inappropriate

My 14 yr old son was shown this by his older sister. I consider this film complete trash. The drugs, premartial sex, homosexuality and other content I deem inappropriate for under 16. The negative aspects of this movie outweigh any positive.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytylerkippert November 24, 2012

One of the Best Book-to-Movie Adaptions There Is

Coming from someone who is picky with movies, and read this book, this is one of the best adaptions I've seen. Unfortunately, to maintain a PG-13 rating, they had to tone down on language and content. Besides that, they did a great job. The acting, writing, and directing was so well done. The movie revolves around a boy with the pseudonym, Charlie. His friend recently took his own life, and he is trying to experience life more. He befriends a girl named Sam (whom he quickly crushes on), and a gay boy named Patrick. They couldn't do everything they did in the book, so they had to tone down on sexual content. There is kissing (between straight and gay couples), and in one scene, the most that happens is the girl rubbing her hand on the boy's leg. They also perform in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, so boys and girls are seen in sexy clothing. The language isn't that strong. Words include "h--l", "s--t", "p--s", "a--", one use of "f--k", and the word "fa--ot" (which is used as a slur). The teenagers also occasionally do drugs. They drink, smoke pot, and also do LSD. The only violence there is is a fight between high schoolers. This is an amazing movie. It is so close to the book, and I highly suggest watching it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byb mell February 13, 2013

good for 12 and up

I think this is for kids 12 and up because it is important for our youth th learn how high school especially private school kids so they can be aware of the real world.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2013

Perks of being a good parent

I think it's a good movie for 12and up year olds it shows you don't have to be popular to have fun. This is a great movie for Tweens and teens who want to start watching more mature movies and not kid movies.
Kid, 9 years old October 30, 2012

Not for kids under 16

I am an nine year old and I thought this movie was pretty edgy. Half the time I spent my eyes closed. There was making out about each 5 minutes. I also noticed how there was marijuana brownies, liquor, and beer use. They also went to a rocky horror film picture show. I think there might've been a positive message in it but I had to use my reflexes so much I couldn't think about if there was one. I believe there was probably even more inappropriate things, but I was to busy closing my eyes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNeon_Fish October 4, 2015

Really good movie

This movie is really good and enjoyable for teens and even adults. The rating is pg-13 but in my view I think it should be a 12 because of the tough thematic Elements of 'rape' 'homosexuals' and other sexual references. There is scene where the main character is thinking of hurting himself with a knife because he cannot get over something he blames himself for. I watched this with my nan and she thought it should be a 15. It really depends on how mature your child is, most of the serious references are very subliminal such as the references to rape that a young child probably wouldn't understand or notice them anyway. The scenes of fighting and a character being beaten by his dad for being gay however would be upsetting for younger kids so it just depends on what your child has been exposed to before and what they can handle. Overall I think this is an amazing movie and anyone in their teens should watch this as it gives messages that being yourself is a good thing and not to take notice of the bullies. (There's also a lot of drugs and swearing)
Parent of a 16 year old Written byjenn1996 November 26, 2012

Talk to your child before, but GREAT MOVIE OVERALL.

As a 17 year old girl, I LOVED this movie! There were many mature themes, but they're all associated with high school-- Drinking, drugs, and sex are topics amongst the entire movie. (Sex is only talked about, nothing graphic). Language is a bit edgy but it's not annoyingly frequent, it usually goes along with a joke and it makes you laugh. The only thing I disagreed with is how the movie sent the message as "The way to make friends and have fun is to go to wild parties, drink, and do drugs" which I STRONGLY go against. Other than that, it was a great movie! If you're a parent, I would just talk to your child before and make sure that your child knows that drinking, drugs, and sex is not an essential part of a normal high schooler's life, and that they can have fun without it. I have to admit, the movie made those illegal activities tempting to try. 5/5 stars!
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

Perfection

Okay, first of all I know I'm 11 and I really shouldn't have been watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower... But I couldn't help myself. It has 2 of my favorite actors, Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. It has a great message, and the friendship that is built is beautiful. It does contain some swearing, but not that much. I wouldn't really call it sex, but there are some scenes... If you know what I mean. Overall, I think it was a really good story and an excellent movie. I hope that helped you decide! :)
Parent Written byKarine18 February 23, 2013

Hey!

Awesome movie! I liked it much § Really appropriate for 14-15 teenagers
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byMom and movie lover February 15, 2013

Good friendship movie, TOUGH topics may be too much, on the whole: sad

Tough movie. Watched this with my 13 year old daughter and some of the subject matter was too much for her. I believe any movie should stand on its own and not be compared to the original book (which I have not read). This is a good movie about friendship -- extraordinary young actors! Being a friend means accepting the whole person; that was the good message in the show. Some of the best laughs and warmest feelings come from this group of 'wallflowers' or misfits fitting in with each other. But, some of the other topics made this too much for my early teen to take. Me, too. Couldn't anyone in the show not have tragedy in their lives current or past? So glad the friends were there for the main character at the end, the uplift was good. But overall, too sad. I would only recommend this for very mature early teens or mid-teens. Be prepared for very troubled, deep, and dark themes, but the friendship made and saved this movie. It's not a happy movie. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS Some of the other subjects were hard to take, too many in fact. My daughter missed some of the references to Sam's promiscuous past, an adult in her past who acted inappropriately to her, the deleted scenes about the sister's preganacy situation missed out on seeing Charlie as someone who was there for his loved ones but still more sad, a friend with possible bulimia, a teen who can't face being gay and his father who beats the son for being gay, lots of drinking and some drug use, the aunt molesting the main character was not revealed until toward the end of the movie was just too much to take by then as you are weighted down by all the sadness surrounding and happening to Charlie. If you are questioning whether to have your child watch this movie, you should know about all the tough topics.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAR16 October 28, 2012

Perfection

This movie was amazing! I was surprise of how close the movie was to the book. I went with my family to watch the movie. After seeing the movie we've became closer then ever. We brought up topics that we never talked about until the trip home from the theater. Open-minded people who never read the book or have would enjoy this movie as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 29, 2013

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Great movie who exposes the real challenges most teens have to overcome from most points of view, it delivers all the good things a teenager could take advantage of when it seems to be the "worse days." I'd highly recommend parents to watch this movie with their teenager(s) son(s) (if any). It mostly deals with guys who have suffered from an important family member lost. Parents will notice that this movie has loads of bad things, such as: language, people drinking, violence, and same sex couples situations (homosexuals); but it's all the things a "common" teenager goes through, isn't it? In conclusion, it's quite good.