All member reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Teen, 14 years old Written byheylookitsgrace September 29, 2012

Fantastic Film with Mature Subject Matters

I thought that this movie was fantastic! They left some stuff out from the book, but it was really well done and well acted, especially Ezra Miller :) there was a lot of heavy topics in this movie, including abuse and child molestation (several cases). There is a fight between Patrick and Brad after they get caught together, and there drugs and alcohol are used often at their parties. Sex and sexual content is another thing to worry about. Overall, I think that it's OK for some 12 or 13 aged kids, but it really depends on there maturity. I think that at age 14 though, you should be able to handle it and really quite enjoy it! Hope this helps.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshadowgirl1234 October 5, 2012

Inspiring

This was probably the most inspiring movie I have ever seen. It had such a good massage about being who you are and really made ne think. Loved it.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2013

Perks of being a good parent

I think it's a good movie for 12and up year olds it shows you don't have to be popular to have fun. This is a great movie for Tweens and teens who want to start watching more mature movies and not kid movies.
Kid, 9 years old October 30, 2012

Not for kids under 16

I am an nine year old and I thought this movie was pretty edgy. Half the time I spent my eyes closed. There was making out about each 5 minutes. I also noticed how there was marijuana brownies, liquor, and beer use. They also went to a rocky horror film picture show. I think there might've been a positive message in it but I had to use my reflexes so much I couldn't think about if there was one. I believe there was probably even more inappropriate things, but I was to busy closing my eyes.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytylerkippert November 24, 2012

One of the Best Book-to-Movie Adaptions There Is

Coming from someone who is picky with movies, and read this book, this is one of the best adaptions I've seen. Unfortunately, to maintain a PG-13 rating, they had to tone down on language and content. Besides that, they did a great job. The acting, writing, and directing was so well done. The movie revolves around a boy with the pseudonym, Charlie. His friend recently took his own life, and he is trying to experience life more. He befriends a girl named Sam (whom he quickly crushes on), and a gay boy named Patrick. They couldn't do everything they did in the book, so they had to tone down on sexual content. There is kissing (between straight and gay couples), and in one scene, the most that happens is the girl rubbing her hand on the boy's leg. They also perform in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, so boys and girls are seen in sexy clothing. The language isn't that strong. Words include "h--l", "s--t", "p--s", "a--", one use of "f--k", and the word "fa--ot" (which is used as a slur). The teenagers also occasionally do drugs. They drink, smoke pot, and also do LSD. The only violence there is is a fight between high schoolers. This is an amazing movie. It is so close to the book, and I highly suggest watching it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAR16 October 28, 2012

Perfection

This movie was amazing! I was surprise of how close the movie was to the book. I went with my family to watch the movie. After seeing the movie we've became closer then ever. We brought up topics that we never talked about until the trip home from the theater. Open-minded people who never read the book or have would enjoy this movie as well.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjgcfritz August 7, 2013

Left feeling uncomfortable

Overall message is good, and I was glad not all adults were portrayed as predators or out-of-touch. The protagonist's parents are portrayed as caring but irrelevant, but the English teacher seems like a genuine good guy who cares about the main character.. I was super disturbed that my teenaged girls now have seen ecstasy actually being used and have seen kids who are high. I would have preferred that the movie would have shown some negative effects of drugs and drinking; it made me pretty uncomfortable to see drug use being so accepted and glorified. I feel like this movie is this generation's Breakfast Club, and I'm not sorry I watched it with my kids. We will use it to discuss some issues. However, I am disappointed that this movie is being marketed to teens and I think is pretty irresponsible in its portrayal of drug use.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 29, 2013

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Great movie who exposes the real challenges most teens have to overcome from most points of view, it delivers all the good things a teenager could take advantage of when it seems to be the "worse days." I'd highly recommend parents to watch this movie with their teenager(s) son(s) (if any). It mostly deals with guys who have suffered from an important family member lost. Parents will notice that this movie has loads of bad things, such as: language, people drinking, violence, and same sex couples situations (homosexuals); but it's all the things a "common" teenager goes through, isn't it? In conclusion, it's quite good.
Kid, 9 years old February 17, 2013

About The Perks Of Being A WallFlower Ok For Children Answear

It is very good but not for children under 13 because there's bad stuff like sex,language and worse drinking,drugs and smoking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks rule November 10, 2012

A great movie

The perks of being a wallflower makes you laugh, it makes you happy, it makes you sad. It's just one of those movies that hits everyone of your emotions. Overall, this was a good movie with good actors/actresses, good story, but some iffy content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoemily November 10, 2012

I don't know how to explain it. JUST WATCH IT.

This movie was amazing and heartfelt. You laugh, you want to cry, and I feel like everyone can relate to it in their own way.
Teen, 15 years old Written by100annabella November 2, 2012

Amazing, but tackles difficult issues

Teen, 14 years old Written bySumBO October 23, 2012

And in this moment I swear we are infinite.

The perks of being a wallflower is honestly the best movie I've seen all year. It stuck very closely to the book, all the characters fit their roles very well. It's a perfect movie for anyone starting High School. 5 Stars for Steven Chbosky's The Perks of being a Wallflower.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywafflelover1227 October 20, 2012

WOW!

This was an incredible movie. It was very moving and emotional. It might not be good for younger kids because some of the topics are a little overwhelming and mature but other than that it was great. You know what your child can and can't handle.It shows that everyone wants to be special and fit in. I loved it! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 October 19, 2012

Phenomenal, heart warming movie truly impresses

Teen, 14 years old Written byDanish Lover1 October 7, 2012

Finally a Good Adaptation

This movie was so well done. It was never too inappropriate or too cheesy. It makes you laugh it makes you wanna cry it makes you realize how great life is. Watch it!
Teen, 17 years old Written bysarahlayhay March 20, 2015

Deals with sexual abuse(although they don't directly mention it "what aunt helen did to me" ) also has a lot of mentions of weed, and charlie takes lsd. really good movie though and it has a lot of positive messages regarding friendships and highschool and life overall.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan March 1, 2015

The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie review

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thinks this movie is overrated. Many film critics have praised this movie as one of the best films of 2012 and many put it on their top 10 lists. Going into this film, I was expecting a comedy that would be extremely funny. That is not what I got. The movie is very serious and I only had two or three laughs. One thing I don't love about movies is the tone inconsistency. The movie was very serious then funny then serious, etc....The movie is sometimes hard to watch. I also didn't like the pacing and I thought towards the end they used too much narration. To me narration is a very weak way to tell a story. The only director who uses narration well is Martin Scorsese. That being said, this film is very well acted. Also, the messages about growing up are handled very well. The cinematography is swift and very good. I recommend this movie to teenagers and older people. This film is certainly not for children under 12.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2015

Great!

This movie has a great message about friends. There is sex and cussing, beating up someone, and the characters drink, and do drugs unsupervised at parties. Besides that it's a sad story! Good though,
Teen, 16 years old Written byFilmguy15 February 4, 2015

One of the best movies

This movie really makes you think about life, and how we take for granted our lives... Very sad and hard subject matters, but so well made. with that being said this movie has some iffy parts I had to skip two scenes but other then that I enjoyed it. There is one F word and it is very clear not missing it and there is a few S words as well. Charlie is always getting high or on some kind of drug, not because he's a drug addict but just because of the people he hangs out with.... For sure a movie you shouldn't miss but it is iffy.