All member reviews for The Piano

Charged tale of a woman's awakening for older teens and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written byshadowexile6 February 3, 2011

Far to much sexuality

I have to say, i love Bright Star, the other movie Jane Campion had done that i have seen, so i decided to watch this movie, assuming it would be just as good. No. In my personal opinion i did not like this movie at all, i can see how other people think it is brilliant. But i thought that there was far to much sexuality in it. Frankly i found it to be nearly revolting. The main character Ada, is clearly a seriously deranged woman, and i felt truly sorry for her child. I think that if you like this movie or not depends on what kind of person you are. In my own perspective i found it to be very disturbing.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Beautiful story, too sexual for kids

I saw this movie several years ago and fell in love with it. I love period movies, and there were so many underlying complexities and symbols in the plot, it was perfect. However, there is quite a bit of sexual content and nudity present. There is also a bit of swearing, but nothing too major, depending on how strict you are on how much is too much. (only words like d**n and h**l are present, but when the Maori natives are speaking, their words are subtitled and there are swear words in there.) In one scene, George, the male protagonist is seen cleaning the piano in a full-frontal nude shot. He and Ada also have sex, and this scene is shown/uncensored. There is also a forced near-sex scene, where George rips Aeda's dress and kisses her neck as she pushes him away. There are also hints to Flora (the daughter) watching them do so, and teaching the other children to mimic the actions with trees. There is also an extremely violent scene of domestic violence/abuse between Ada and her husband Stewart. He threatens her with an ax, hits her, shoves her into walls, and finally uses the ax to chop off one of her fingers for seeing George, and the blood spurts out onto her daughter's face. This movie is lovely for mature/older teens and adults; I would say around 16 and older, just because some of the content in the film may be too intense or inappropriate for younger teens, and especially children. Beautiful story, intense situations, but a wonderfully enjoyable movie.
Adult Written bymoviemadness July 5, 2011

Mediocre -Mature Teens and up

The Piano is a deep, heavy, disturbing, and dimensional film. The main character is a tortured, manipulative, and obsessive woman whose deep attachment to her piano utterly consumes her. Her relationship with her husband is nonexistent and her young daughter is left on her own (or to serve as interpreter/errand girl for her mute mother). The film's heavy themes, shocking violence, gloomy desperation, sexual predation, and intense erotic character make it unsuitable for even most teens. Until they are ready to deal with complex, erotic, and violent themes maturely, they are not ready for the Piano.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylelexy2000 January 9, 2010

too sexual

there is too much sex in that movie. and i love anna paquin so i would like to really like to see that movie because it's anna paquin's oscar winning role.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byFraser67 April 6, 2014

Signing Communication and Society

The show from the society how they blend in their cultures with Maori in 19th Century. Interesting theory somehow. It was the shame how much they have learned in their education culture values. Number one sex are involved anywhere. They are very open minds. United States are very closed minds. I have been to other countries and I have aware with their sexuality tastes. I don't mind to see this but not for any kids who have no educations values. I have seen Maoir's cultures and church performances children involved in the shows. There are no differences. I want to add other thing, I am hard of hearing and know many sign language. They use New Zealand sign language I have aware. In New Zealand, the mute piano lady from Scottish came to their country and does not know New Zealand sign language? British and New Zealand are very similar but the only differences is lexicons. New Zealand sign language was invented by Maori deaf people in New Zealand. I have wondered how that mute lady have learned her signing so fluently when she came to the country married to that man (Neill). She could have taught him. Its a very unusual scenes. As for violence that can happen anywhere. The kids can learn their lessons if they see one. If they have not seen one they may harm themselves. If you travel in back-country like in New Zealand be prepared with the tribes. Good luck with them.
Adult Written byroxyiscool999 June 13, 2011

The Piano Review

The Piano is a Drama movie with some sex scenes that are not appropriate for under 16's it is a little bit violent and only a little bit of language in the movie