All member reviews for The Pirates! Band of Misfits

Pirate adventure blends Victorian history, high-seas fun.

Parent Written bypelicangirl April 29, 2012

Could be a bit scary for younger kids

The feel of the film may be a bit dark and creepy for some younger kids. My 5 year old needed to leave the theater several times when he felt it was getting too scary, but he was also interested enough that I was able to coax him back in to finish out the story. He did talk about the movie quite a bit afterward, and I realized there was a lot that he didn't understand. We ended up discussing endangered species and even colonialism, so for us it was a good catalyst for broadening his understanding of the world. As an adult, I preferred some of my son's other recent favorites like Puss in Boots and Tin Tin.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRenita Eidenschink May 5, 2012

Meh-save your money.

I may be weird with this, but I am so sick of women characters whose clothing covers little more than their breasts. The female pirate is always either gawked at or all over the male pirates. It would just be nice if male and female characters could relate platonically like so many of us do in every day life. (My kids are just old enough to pick up on the 'sexy' part of the movies. I think the young ones won't necessarily pick up on it.)
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 28, 2012

CHARLES DARWIN is in this movie!

As a fan of Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit, I thought this movie was pretty good! The claymation was absolutely the best out of all the other Aardman movies! As a pirate movie, there's some violence, not to mention that two people get stabbed by swords and die, but this is all British humor! Also, one female pirate may look a little bit inappropriate for little kids, but the movie doesn't show her a lot. At the beginning, there is a scene where the pirates drink beer, but they don't get drunk. Other than that, I like this movie and you will too if you like claymation!
Adult Written bywesfarr3 May 5, 2012

Not For Andrew

Andrew was very scared during the ghost scene and when the big fish ate the boat he cried it is not good for andrew but ok for 17 and up.
Adult Written byPhilbo August 29, 2012

Short'ish

I'll keep this short, I took a 12 year old almost 13 with me, he goes to my church and youth group, I'm a youth group leader... Over the entire movie I couldn't help but feel this movie has allot of references a little old for it's own good, now yes 6 year old's will possibly miss allot of what us adults would get, which makes it an entertaining watch for both young and old, but if I had to pick to watch this or something like Wallace and Gromit I think it's called, I wouldn't pick this, animation was superb.. but I can't help but say if you're gonna yet a youngster watch it, if you can watch it first or the first 15 minutes or so just in case, then do so... don't want to put hopes up only to decide half way through it's a little to old for your liking for them to be watching it at 6 or 8 and take it away, cause that's a real bummer for them.
Parent Written bySeattle Parent June 26, 2012

Too scary

This was way too scary for my 5 year old, and she isn't easily scared. My 7 year old was scared in part of it too. The premise of the movie is pretty dark and it wasn't even particularly funny. The previews we'd seen were hilarious, but the actual movie was not. Too scary and dark--I don't recommend it.
Educator and Parent of a 5 year old Written byKendra0202 May 20, 2012

Not for my 6-year-old

We're fans of W&G and Shaun the Sheep, so we looked forward to this. Unfortunately, it was intense for our 6-year-old. She was comfortable with the hand-to-hand fighting and the minor swordfighting, but there were two scenes of near-executions, in which a character's neck is on the block with the bad guy wielding a big shiny cleaver. Both times the character is rescued, of course, but it's a disturbing image that gave her nightmares. She also struggled to understand the scenes in which Queen Victoria led the exotic-animal eating club. I wonder why they used a real historical figure for this? That took some explaining; my daughter asked me if the real Queen of England eats pandas. She loved that the pirates fought for "booty," of course, and has talked about "booty" ever since. And she wants to be Cutlass Liz for Halloween, which has more to do with her sword than with her sexy outfit (I think). All in all, Aardman studios made some choices I wish they'd avoided, because otherwise it was a clever movie with a good ending -- the primary character, who has been a jerk to everyone (in ways even a kid can grasp), turns it around and apologizes.
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2012

You should read this!!!

I don't like it even though I am 12 because the girl pirate was too sexy and the whole story to me did not make any sense... There was also drinking too, had some bad words.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 April 27, 2012

bhukl

Claymation is back in the Best way posible.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 June 13, 2014

Beautiful animation, edgy & snappy script!

This movie had a really tough sell, I'm surprised it got made at all! Pirates team up with Charles Darwin? What kind of an odd, history bending premise is that? It comes off, even though the premise is familiar, as fairly original. I've always been a sucker for stop motion animation, marveling at the patience of the animators and the directors, who deserve high praise for their work. I laughed out loud several times, this isn't your average kids flick. It's got some spice in there adults will enjoy, I especially enjoyed the John Merrick cameo, which will of course go over kids' heads. But, even if it does have a little violence and rude humor, older adolescents could appreciate it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byboychilds mama May 21, 2012

Not so great...

A bit disappointing. Animation is terrific, but story is only so-so. Lots of action, but just not as much fun as I'd expected. Also plenty of humor targeted at adults that either was not appropriate for my 8-year-old or just went right over his head. Only women in the story were sexy, evil or pretending to be men. 3D did nothing to improve our movie experience.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byDulcie May 21, 2012

British humor + claymation = PASS

I was trapped into seeing this last week when the drive-in we attended flipped the order of the movies. The Avengers was suppose to be first, then this movie. I intended to leave after The Avengers. There are too many adult-themed jokes to make this appropriate for most children and the gruesome fate of some animals at the end will disturb some children. The whole movie reminded me of Monty Python type humor, a lot of jokes at the expense of others and slapstick comedy. And did I mention I hate claymation movies. Save yourself the time and the money and skip this one. I wish I could have.
Educator and Parent Written byteachertechfred May 21, 2012

On the scary side for a young pirate loving 5 year old.

Overall a decent movie for an almost five year old. The villain scared my son out of his seat, who almost made an early exit due to her menacing demeanor. Aside from that, it was a good movie that I enjoyed. Although he laughed at a few things it was a little over my sons head. I still enjoy claymation!
Parent Written bymomof2plus April 28, 2012

Pirates! Band of Misfits

Overall has funny (but not hilareous) moments and good examples of loyalty and sticking together (for the most part), the monkey is cute and funny, (spoiler alert) there are a few disturbing things like references to eating rare animals including pandas:(,... tight clothes bare midriff shirt on girl pirate, brief kissing scene (those two things were not a big deal but just thought I would give a heads up),... one time use of the "a" word:( not exactly necessary but it isn't super obvious. Cartoony violence and danger. Overall not a bad movie if you go be sure to stay for the credits as there are some good moments in there. If you haven't seen The Lorax I would say go to that instead (we loved it) before it's gone and save this one for DVD if you want to see it.
Parent Written bymasaxo April 27, 2012

educational

I like it for kids its good and educational.
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2015

Just amazing

I must have been watching it 4 times a day at one point, so even though I've seen it 100-and-something times, I still love it.
Kid, 9 years old March 22, 2014

'The Pirates' are funny

'The Pirates' are very funny! It has panche because Queen Victoria,(God save her! No, I'm not British.) is so round, (No offense) that when she makes an entrance, she has to ride on a donkey! There is some language, but you barely hear it. Charles Darwin has an important role. Although, this movie is not historically factual. Get it as soon as you can!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmiles0325 November 29, 2013

Don't waste your money!

I don't think this a good movie at all. First of all, the movie was boring and was just dumb. My friends and I left halfway through the movie. Don't even bother wasting your money!
Kid, 9 years old November 10, 2013

Pirates Gone Funny

Really good movie. Me and my mom cracked up a second of the film. One just one think i hate about it is it's not made by Disney. That might sound stupid but it's true. Anyway 5\5 for funniess,(sorry can't spell :0),storylines, and cast and charaters. Bye!
Kid, 11 years old August 7, 2013

Mixed Messages

I honestly didn't like the movie and I got up multiple times during the movie. I don't think it was appropriate for my 5 year old brothers to see them battling ghosts, hear words like h--l and a-s, and hear them commenting on a women in a pub. A pub! They loved it though, I think. I don't like the movie.