All member reviews for The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie

Like steamed veggies: Good for you, but bland.

Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2009

I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob!

When I saw the first Veggie Tales movie, I was five years old. Six years later, the second one comes out. This is the first Veggie Tales anything that isn't based off a religious tale, but does send out a quite Christian message. Violence is limited to slapstick and swordplay, consumerism is noticeable, no sexual content that occurred, and language is limited to name-calling such as "moron," "loser," and "crazy," but most parents wouldn't find the content disturbing. I think the animation could've been better, but overall it's a five-star movie! No doubt about it! This is a great movie to watch on a family night when you want a good kid's comedy with some brief adult humor with a good message!
Adult Written bylsdgls April 9, 2008

This was hilarious!

My 5 year old loved this movie! It was hilarious with no iffy content. A parent's dream!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMerryJ July 13, 2009

Some Frigtening Scenes

My kids are sensitive to scary things. They were a little frightened, but okay with the scary pirates. What got to them was the monster cheese doodles and the rock monsters. These things REALLY freaked them out during the movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySteven Matthews August 5, 2009

This was the first of the Veggie Tales movies I've seen, so I don't know how it compares to others but in this one there are no bible stories, no praying, no being "saved". Only the king, who appears at the end, has any obvious allegorical connection to religion. Generally, it's humorous and fun.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byeduc8r13 April 9, 2008

Finally a movie for a whole family!

With children under the age of 10, it is hard to find a movie that we can all go see and enjoy. Veggie Tales had something for all of us. The kids enjoyed all of the funny antics, especially the "evil cheese" (snack foods with teeth). The messages are great, looking at not giving up and doing the right thing. Veggie Tales are Christian based, but unless you know that and are looking for it, you won't find any overt religious references. Just good clean lessons about helping others and trying to do your best. For adults, you can't miss the end credits - the "Rock Monster" video will take you back to the good old days of the 80's, as well as a few of the evil cheese pop up throughout the end credits. This is light hearted entertainment for all!
Kid, 7 years old April 9, 2008

better for 6 years and up

Although this is one of very few movies that is appropriate for children. I felt strongly that it was too violent and too scary for children under 6. Most 4 and 5 year olds didn't even understand the story. The dialogue is rapid and a bit complicated. I think it's great for kids 6 and older.
Adult Written byhornersfire April 9, 2008

My daughter liked it, but I had a hard time staying awake.

This is probably best saved for rental. My daughter (4 1/2) enjoyed this movie, but I could barely stay interested in the story. The only complaint about the movie itself was that it was a little frightening to her to start, but I calmed her fears and she was fine after that.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylpattie October 10, 2009

the funnest movie

it is pretty good for 4 years old
Teen, 14 years old Written byjonnypants23 April 9, 2008

Good for all ages.

I didnt think it was that bad of a movie.It was actully kinda funny.This movie is great for all ages.You should wacht this movie if u like funny veggies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian_girl April 19, 2010

Nothing Better Than Veggies

I'm just going to let you know, I usually rate movies for a higher age than I really think can watch it in case of sensitive kids or strict parents. My one-year-old niece loves this movie as much as I do... and that's saying something. This movie has no violence in it. Sure, the movie starts with a swordfight but no one gets hurt. The prince knocks someone off of the ship with the flat end of his sword, but but you can take this as, maybe, that the point of this fight isn't to chop up some veggies, it's whoever gets knocked off the ship is out! It's also got a good Christian message. Now, now, don't you go telling me there's nothing Christian in this movie. This is just as Christian as Narnia, which can be found in all Christian bookstores. The King is God, the King of Kings. The King's children are God's children, Christians. The helpseeker, at times, represents prayer. And Robert the Terrible... guess who he is. Notice the Pirates don't really do much by themselves. They hit the button on the helpseeker and the King takes it from there. Everything the Pirates need, they are given by the King, who is God. Rock monsters? No problem. The King will send something to distract them. ***SPOILER*** Eaten by a mechanical dragon? Just pull the lever. Cornered by a villain? There's a chandelier right above you. **SPOILER OVER** More subtle, if you need a captain because your original cap'n was kidnapped, a hero will be sent to you who just happens to have read a few books on the subject. ***SPOILER*** The King himself hints that he sent the lever to save Elliot from the contraption, the crab to show Sedgewick the cave exit, and the chandelier, too. The King actually is God, so he can do stuff like that. **SPOILER OVER** Sorry that half of this review is a spoiler, I'm just trying to make a point here. This movie has more morals than you might notice. It says that God will take care of you, if you let Him, and he'll help you do the right thing, if you let Him. (The "if you let Him"s were my own addition, the movie didn't say that.) The path God chooses for you may not be easy but He will guide you safely through anything and everything you face. ***IN THE END,*** the heroes learn their lessons. George learns self-confidence. Sedgewick learns not to be lazy and to never give up. Elliot faces his fears to save his friends, even though he's scared of just about everything. Willory learns not to judge a book by its cover. I, myself, picked up a little something about "tests". When Elliot is on the beach and the helpseeker says he can go home if he wants, even though his friends still need his help, the King says that was a test, which he passed with flying colors. If this doesn't make sense now, it will when you see the movie. SPOILER OVER** Huh, the review's over too. Go figure.

A must see movie for all children

Adult Written bymkrob77375 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byFowlerFan July 4, 2011

My boys enjoyed it

It's exactly what you would expect from a veggie tales movie. Yes, there is some swordfighting, etc., but given the style, it's nothing remotely scary, or "realistic".
Adult Written bysweetbabyfeet January 11, 2010

Too violent

I'm surprised to see people rating this movie as "not violent." There is liberal use of swords and sword play as well as large-scale war-like fighting with cannons.
Adult Written byglamoursqueen April 9, 2008

fun

this is fun movie that is funnny and has a good message. If you a chirstian this is a good movie for because they talk about God's word plus this is a story related to stories in the Bible. If you like this video you should watch regular veggie tale movies because they are very age okay and silly. I would be a okay giving this to my kid.
Adult Written bycyber_mom4 April 9, 2008

Good movie for kids and adults who like Veggie Tales

Pretty typical Veggie Tales fare. Fun for kids and adults, though teens who feel Veggie Tales is for kids won't like it. Good message, some pretty funny scenes. Some of the scenes might be a little scary for very young children. At the prices they charge for movies these days, I could have waited for the video to come out. But since there are very few movies out these days appropriate for younger kids, I guess it was worth it.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2012

lazy mexican pirates that do nothing: a veggietales movie

I think this movie is supposed to make fun of mexicans.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylovzhisdad October 21, 2012

is CSM wrong again? (No offense to them, though).

while this movie has a great message for kids about what a hero REALLY is, there are some uses of "loser", and one character might be creepy to very young viewers.
Parent Written byJLFM May 11, 2012

Nothing objectionable, and decent fun, too