All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 27, 2011

Disney really raises the bar for themselves with this wonderful rendition of the fairytale!

Disney never ceases to make wonderful movies that keeps people of all ages entertained. Though the voodoo at times got a little sketchy for younger kids. I found some of the voodoo magic to be slightly creepy at times myself. I cry every time I watch one of the important characters die. Ray the Firefly was my all-time favorite character! I loved him and his entire firefly family! So cute!
Kid, 6 years old December 29, 2009

The Princess and the Frog Movie Review by APBF

(Spoiler Alert: this review gives away part of the movie.) I liked the movie The Princess and the Frog. My favorite part was when Tiana and Prince Naveen went to see Charlotte, and the part I felt sad was when Ray died. My favorite character was Ray. He was my favorite character because he was funny and I liked his accent.
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2011

Shut the heck up...

When I watched this with my 5 year old cousin, she wasn't scared at all! She was not disgusted by the kissing, the LITTLE TIP OF DANG BLOOD or the voodoo man. Oh my god, guys shut up. This is for 5+ up I think. Best disney film so far I have seen in my entire life.
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2010

For 4 year olds and up kinda scary for 3 years and down.

I like this movie. A first African American princess. WOW! First An African America president, Now a black princess. This is a amazing! This movie teaches you to never give up on your hopes and dreams.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 June 13, 2011

Lovely Movie

This movie is a great for kids. It's a cute adaptation of the book The Frog Princess, which I loved. The fact that this movie was set in New Orleans really made an impact on the movie itself. It was a beautiful movie, with beautiful songs that really helped move the story a long. The scene where Dr. Facilier sings about "the other side" could be considered creepy if you were a younger child. My favorite scene most definitely was the Dig A Little Deeper song. Then again, not everyone loves a musical soo... be aware that this movie has lots of theatrical numbers that could be a considered lame by older teens. I loved this movie and you will too:)
Teen, 13 years old Written byHotaru Chan July 8, 2010

5 Stars

I liked this movie a lot. I actually thought it was a little creepy at some spots in the movie, especially at the end where the villain is dragged into darkness. My cousin was a little scared at some spots too, but other than that she was alright. The ending actually made me cry a little, since things like that don't usually happen in Disney movies. In all, It's a spectacular movie that is worth watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykittenmady March 19, 2010

Very Funny but scary voodoo scenes. that wrecked the entire movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoverNumber101 November 4, 2011

Get It!!!

This is by far the best Disney Princess Movie ever. Why? 1- Tiana is a hardworking girl who doesn’t need a man to take care of her. She stands up for herself and is far more realistic than other princess. She is also an African American 2- Prince Naveen is just plain funny! He seems spoiled, a bratty but deep down he's a soft heart man who will do anything for Tiana. 3- The plot was amazing. I enjoyed the voo-doo (Honestly didn't see that coming) scene and the bayou songs. 4- It is REALISTIC!! At least a little bit. It takes place in New Orleans (Part of the reason I like it so much is cause I use to live near New Orleans) and they have Mardi Gras and all the jazz (*sigh*) 5- The music. I never was really a big fan of jazz even though my heritage is very Cajun but this movie just made me fall in love with. At least that type of jazz. 6- Its funny! "I suppose you wanna kiss," "Kissing would be nice, yes" That made me laugh my head off. "And we talk too!" I have nothing negative to say about the humor. I even to the "You from Street-port?" with ease. 7- Culture. There is so much culture in this. I grew up living with most of the culture and food they had in the movie so I was happy to have the culture be there. Things I didn't like to much... 1- They make Cajuns look dumb. My dad was like one of the frog hunters when he was younger and he is 100x smarter than them. 2- I know what I'm about to say (write?) really can't be in a Disney movie but at the time it took place (20s) African Americans would have been treated like trash, at least that's what I learned in school (I mean not to offend anyone in what I just said... typed). 3- There are some scene that can and probably will creep little kids out, like the voo-doo. I will admit when I first saw it the ending of "Friends On The Other Side" gave me chills. Overall... Let me just say this: I watched the movie Tuesday with my sister and I am currently listening to The Princess And The Frog soundtrack. It’s also just so sweet and cute!! When I watch it I can't help but smile. Oh and Lottie! She is awesome. She's spoiled, dreams of being a princess but will always (almost) be there for her Tiana. Go Lottie!! I'm finally through. You must be sleeping by now but oh well!! That's how good it is. I could talk about it for hours (just ask my family) ;) .... So.... What are you waiting for? Get it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAirconditioning December 30, 2009

Not Up To Standard

I did not like this movie because It was very very very very loosely based off the origional story and Disney is all about origional stories and when I heard that Princess Tiana was going to be a new official disney charactor I had some problems with it. First off I love the idea of having diversity in your cultures with the Disney Princesses, but if you are going to make the step of an African American Princess, which I am all for, then make the movie as the origianal story becuase thats something people want to remember and this movie did not cut it for me and I do not think I will remember this movie. Plus this movie is not something anyone from the ages 13+ because it does not hold intrest long and it is drug out. I also had issues with the messege. I do not understand the messege in this movie. I guess I do undertstand "find what your needs are before you can have what you want" but she did not need prince Navine and I felt she was giving up her dream to marry him though she did get her resteraunt what messege does that send. Kids now are going to go find a boyfriend and lack on important things in life such as school work and dreams because the movie says love before work or priorities. I thought that this was cute for kids but all in all was a waste of Disney's time.
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2009

Too scay!!!

Ok this movie was creepy...and I know I'm 12 but still it had demons and voodoo. Then the Shadow Man gets dragged to hell by the shadows...what kind of mess is that! I went to go see it with my lil sister (she's 7) and she loved it because she didn't know what was going on meanwhile I'm next to her with my hands over my eyes thinking 'IT'S NOT TRUE...THAT CAN'T REALLY HAPPEN!' then people behind me are closeing the little kids eyes and taking them out of the theater because there crying about the Shadow Man getting dragged by demons. WOW!!! But on the good side I like that there's finally a Africian Americian princess, and how Tiona gets her restaurant by determination. I didn't like the fact that the firefly died though but I honestly felt better when he ended up with his girlfriend(I guess). Once again it creeped me out and I'm 12 so I wouldn't take ur child who's very young to go see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolmonster December 30, 2009

8 year old movie

meh it was ok but a bit inapropriate (kinda) and scary 4 little 1s
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2010

I bought the album!

Awesome movie with great songs
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byTomPo January 4, 2010

Needs a little explanation to child regarding scary stuff and magic..

Loved the movie for all of the music and fun Disney style entertainment. A little scary with the dark side shadows and voodoo stuff. Nothing more than Sleeping Beauty or The Little Mermaid
Kid, 11 years old December 25, 2009

Bad movie for 2-4 year olds but boring for older ones

um why would kids 11+ want to see this movie? It's too kiddish! Even kids 7-10 woulden't like it! I mean come on, princess, frog that does not go very good together. Also the shadow guy freaks my sister, Taylor out { age 3} its too scary for the little ones and too childish for older kids! Must I also say the prince frog is too inopropiot for my sister too he says " come on we pucker"! Gosh, those people who say its rated G should say its rated PG instead!
Parent Written bytracipvy December 19, 2009

Read the reviews but take them lightly, my 4 year old loved it!

Saw this movie today with 3 girls, ages 3, 4, and 5. They loved it! We (the moms) loved it! GREAT music, GREAT story. I faithfully read the reviews on CommonSenseMedia.org, and was a little worried about the "scary parts" of this movie. My 4-year old daughter wasn't bothered by any of the scary parts. As we watched it I explained that Dr. Facilier was "mean" and using "bad magic" (black/voodoo magic). She accepted that as just what is was - the "bad guy" of the movie. Every (Disney) movie has the bad guy, and yes, I do believe Disney goes a little too far with the bad/evil characters....that's just Disney, and I knew to expect that. I do think Disney took it too far with Ray...was it necessary for Disney to allow such a cute character to be killed? As I watched the part when Louis brought Ray to Tiana and Naveen, I kept thinking, "Why? What's the point?" (Although I liked that he was finally able to join Evangeline.) The girls, at this point, somewhat lost interest and didn't even realize that he died. I really liked Tiana: her strong will and determination to work hard for what she wants. I loved her relationship with Charlotte - Disney could have made Charlotte mean, spiteful and jealous of Tiana, but made them close friends, who truly cared for each other!! True girlfriends, very refreshing!! The animation is beautiful, and the music WONDERFUL!! The setting of New Orleans adds so much richness and depth to the story. An awesome Disney Princess movie!!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhiker1 December 11, 2009

My husband, 5 year old and I all loved this movie! I love the fact that the heroine doesn't need saving or rescuing and she is a very good role model. I didn't have to squelch my own values while watching this movie, which I do in some other Princess movies like Little Mermaid. A nice modern twist on the princess theme. The voodoo stuff was a bit scary for the 5 year old.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byashlotte November 19, 2010

Too scary!

I did not care for this movie at all and can not understand how it got by with a G rating. I had friends go to the theater with their girls (4 & 6) who were crying in the theater because it was so scary. We waited for the DVD and I really think it is WAY too scary, with black magic, voodoo, and other things I don't really think are appropriate for young children (spirits coming out of graves, etc). If you want something princessy, I'd skip it and stick with Cinderella.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byfeirin December 18, 2009

Strong & Admirable Main Character Paired With Bland Music & A Slow Moving Story

I have two boys ages 8 and 13 and we are big Disney buffs.Unfortunately this movie fell short of what we were hoping.The music was not too catchy nothing that would be considered classic and stick in your head to have you singing when leaving the theater. I love the fact that the main Character Tiana not only is African American but is also strong willed, hard working, and does not give up on her dreams.Mainly a classic happily ever after fairy tale. Could have been more thought or action put into this movie to keep this film entertaining and moving quicker. As far as the vodoo in this movie..please people the movie is taking place in New Orleans,LA. they incorporated the culture, food,language, & history into this movie. It was not meant to be offensive. The villian / scarey scenes are no different than Sleeping beauty pricking her finger and snow white and the poison apple.There has to be a villian and something or someone bad to make the good characters defined and triumph over evil or wrong doing with their strong will and beliefs.Final say is a good movie but not great.
Adult Written byHumdudgeon December 18, 2009

Very similar to level of scariness of Snow White

I had mixed feelings about this. The songs were wonderfully executed, some grand. The violence was an issue, HOWEVER, HAVE YOU SEEN SNOW WHITE???? That wicked stepmother scared the bejeesus out of me when I was a child and the scene of Snow White running, terrified and alone, through the dark forest with the tree branches coming to life and clutching at her, well that was just terrifying! I think people need to just relax and view this film through the ACTUAL Disney prism, the actual standard of Disney princess films. The originals WERE quite violent and scary, before that became un-PC. Yes, the voodoo premise was off-putting, but certainly not any more violent than Snow White.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjay.B October 24, 2010

jays thoughts

i loved the movie it was awesome