All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent Written byJillianSK1 April 27, 2011

Very dark! Very scary!

I hated this movie. There is so much voodoo in it. I would hate for a child to think that voodoo was cool. I pre-watched it for my pre-schoolers. There's no way that I'll ever let me kids watch this one. Which is really too bad, because I love the heroine. She's strong and doesn't need anyone to rescue her, etc.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byjjohns79 December 16, 2010

OK for older kids

Some scary parts for younger kids. I would not recommend this movie for kids under 8. I really don't understand why Disney has to include death in every movie and make so many of them scary. Usually I would agree that despite this, most Disney movies are OK for younger kids to watch however NOT this one. It goes beyond the usual Disney scary and this movie feels evil to me.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byashlotte November 19, 2010

Too scary!

I did not care for this movie at all and can not understand how it got by with a G rating. I had friends go to the theater with their girls (4 & 6) who were crying in the theater because it was so scary. We waited for the DVD and I really think it is WAY too scary, with black magic, voodoo, and other things I don't really think are appropriate for young children (spirits coming out of graves, etc). If you want something princessy, I'd skip it and stick with Cinderella.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook August 4, 2010

Not a good Disney movie at all!!

I just did not like this movie. My kids had already seen it without me, so i rented it to see what it was like. My two year old said, i don't like this movie mommy' and we turned it off (about after Tiana got turned into a Frog). Later we finished the rest, but i skipped 3-4 scenes. I felt like the characters, except for Tiana maybe, were all pretty shallow and the storyline was convoluted. It was very dark, didn't have much of a happy setting/mood throughout. I found it one of the worst Disney movies. While Aladdin or The Little Mermaid might have some scary moments/characters, their wonderful characters/role models and amazing happy part of the animation and comedy more than make up for it. This was lacking the true Disney charisma for me. I wish Tiana had gotten a better movie :( I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2010

I bought the album!

Awesome movie with great songs
Kid, 11 years old April 8, 2010

good

I've seen it and it was great,but most people won't approve the witchcraft and magic shown in the flim.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAirconditioning December 30, 2009

Not Up To Standard

I did not like this movie because It was very very very very loosely based off the origional story and Disney is all about origional stories and when I heard that Princess Tiana was going to be a new official disney charactor I had some problems with it. First off I love the idea of having diversity in your cultures with the Disney Princesses, but if you are going to make the step of an African American Princess, which I am all for, then make the movie as the origianal story becuase thats something people want to remember and this movie did not cut it for me and I do not think I will remember this movie. Plus this movie is not something anyone from the ages 13+ because it does not hold intrest long and it is drug out. I also had issues with the messege. I do not understand the messege in this movie. I guess I do undertstand "find what your needs are before you can have what you want" but she did not need prince Navine and I felt she was giving up her dream to marry him though she did get her resteraunt what messege does that send. Kids now are going to go find a boyfriend and lack on important things in life such as school work and dreams because the movie says love before work or priorities. I thought that this was cute for kids but all in all was a waste of Disney's time.
Kid, 6 years old December 29, 2009

The Princess and the Frog Movie Review by APBF

(Spoiler Alert: this review gives away part of the movie.) I liked the movie The Princess and the Frog. My favorite part was when Tiana and Prince Naveen went to see Charlotte, and the part I felt sad was when Ray died. My favorite character was Ray. He was my favorite character because he was funny and I liked his accent.
Parent Written bytracipvy December 19, 2009

Read the reviews but take them lightly, my 4 year old loved it!

Saw this movie today with 3 girls, ages 3, 4, and 5. They loved it! We (the moms) loved it! GREAT music, GREAT story. I faithfully read the reviews on CommonSenseMedia.org, and was a little worried about the "scary parts" of this movie. My 4-year old daughter wasn't bothered by any of the scary parts. As we watched it I explained that Dr. Facilier was "mean" and using "bad magic" (black/voodoo magic). She accepted that as just what is was - the "bad guy" of the movie. Every (Disney) movie has the bad guy, and yes, I do believe Disney goes a little too far with the bad/evil characters....that's just Disney, and I knew to expect that. I do think Disney took it too far with Ray...was it necessary for Disney to allow such a cute character to be killed? As I watched the part when Louis brought Ray to Tiana and Naveen, I kept thinking, "Why? What's the point?" (Although I liked that he was finally able to join Evangeline.) The girls, at this point, somewhat lost interest and didn't even realize that he died. I really liked Tiana: her strong will and determination to work hard for what she wants. I loved her relationship with Charlotte - Disney could have made Charlotte mean, spiteful and jealous of Tiana, but made them close friends, who truly cared for each other!! True girlfriends, very refreshing!! The animation is beautiful, and the music WONDERFUL!! The setting of New Orleans adds so much richness and depth to the story. An awesome Disney Princess movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheFMan July 29, 2014

Not Evil!!!

EVERYONE WHO THINKS THIS MOVIE IS INAPPROPRIATE JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!!! I BET YOU'RE ALL JUST SOCCERMOMS WHO COMPLAIN TO THE MEDIA INSTEAD OF JUST TELLING YOUR KIDS NOT TO WATCH IT! PLUS, VOODOO IS NOT REAL SO IF YOUR KIDS GET SCARED JUST TELL THEM IT ISN'T REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEFMAN OUT
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommanderEclipse May 2, 2014

Loved it!

From what I've been seeing the two biggest complaints here are the voodoo and the death of Ray. I understand how the whole thing might have been frightening to youngins, but all that talk about satan? That's a bit of an overreaction. Ray's death was a pretty emotional thing, I started bawling whem I watched it, but its almost a bit more honest to early disney like Dumbo and Bambi. They give the firefly a nice ending, so that was sweet. I'm super surprised they didn't mention Lottie in the sex part of the review, considering I've seen mild flirting mentioned in these reviews before. She readjusts her cleavage in a pretty noticable way. Not a big deal, but I can imagine some parents puttin up a fuss about it.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Great Movie With An Evil Villain

Finally after 7 years since Brother Bear, Disney returns to the drawing board (pun intended) with a classic hand-drawn animation. The Princess and The Frog has some good messages to it. For example, Tiana is the first Disney princess to make it on her own without needing a man, illustrating to young girls that they don't need a man to be successful...just some hard work. She's also Disney's first African-American princess who wins the guy at the end of the movie as opposed to her Caucasian best friend, breaking down some racial barriers. The ONLY problem I have with this movie is the Shadow Man character. He's a pretty dark guy who's into Hoodoo (not to be confused with the pagan religion of Voodoo) magic. But the saving grace in having a villain like this is that it illustrates that magic does not reign over religion. Some of the concepts of the movie (like Hoodoo) will be over young children's heads, but Christian parents can use this opportunity to educate their children further as to why Jesus is the way and not magic. Having said all of that, the film is great, especially if you're watching it on Blu-Ray with surround sound.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHotaru Chan July 8, 2010

5 Stars

I liked this movie a lot. I actually thought it was a little creepy at some spots in the movie, especially at the end where the villain is dragged into darkness. My cousin was a little scared at some spots too, but other than that she was alright. The ending actually made me cry a little, since things like that don't usually happen in Disney movies. In all, It's a spectacular movie that is worth watching.
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2010

For 4 year olds and up kinda scary for 3 years and down.

I like this movie. A first African American princess. WOW! First An African America president, Now a black princess. This is a amazing! This movie teaches you to never give up on your hopes and dreams.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

Scarey scenes, and voodoo emphasis, but a cute Disney movie nonetheless

I was surprised at the emphasis placed on voodoo, but it suites the area of the country focused on and reflects the culture of the cajun area. It was more than a bit scarey with the villian & the shadows and I wouldn't have let my 4 yr old watch it without me the first time if I'd known about the scarier parts. The movie was good as a whole and we enjoyed it as a family. Like always, Disney is plugging the merchandise all over and it's hard to avoid the fact that there's a new princess movie out.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTNmomof2 March 28, 2010
Adult Written byjpalin March 28, 2010

Tiana is wonderful role model who knows she will not be rescued by a prince. She knows she has to work for her dreams, and yet, in the end, to get them, she can't sacrafice love. I also loved seeing New Orleans spotlighted this way. The voodoo/shadow scenes were a bit scary, but no more so than other Disney bad guy scenes. The music and animation were wonderful. I love the return to the Disney movies I love - Little Mermaid, Lion King, etc.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykawilder March 22, 2010

Very good, non-traditional princess (or not) story!

I took 2 6 year old girls to this movie. They loved it. Great characters, great music, unique spin on the (if formulaic) story. Loved the fact that the heroine represented some of the diversity these girls see every day. The voodoo master was a little scary, but not so much that they wanted to leave. I do think it would be too much for younger children, though. All in all, a very good film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykittenmady March 19, 2010

Very Funny but scary voodoo scenes. that wrecked the entire movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolmonster December 30, 2009