All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Kid, 6 years old December 29, 2009

The Princess and the Frog Movie Review by APBF

(Spoiler Alert: this review gives away part of the movie.) I liked the movie The Princess and the Frog. My favorite part was when Tiana and Prince Naveen went to see Charlotte, and the part I felt sad was when Ray died. My favorite character was Ray. He was my favorite character because he was funny and I liked his accent.
Parent Written bytracipvy December 19, 2009

Read the reviews but take them lightly, my 4 year old loved it!

Saw this movie today with 3 girls, ages 3, 4, and 5. They loved it! We (the moms) loved it! GREAT music, GREAT story. I faithfully read the reviews on CommonSenseMedia.org, and was a little worried about the "scary parts" of this movie. My 4-year old daughter wasn't bothered by any of the scary parts. As we watched it I explained that Dr. Facilier was "mean" and using "bad magic" (black/voodoo magic). She accepted that as just what is was - the "bad guy" of the movie. Every (Disney) movie has the bad guy, and yes, I do believe Disney goes a little too far with the bad/evil characters....that's just Disney, and I knew to expect that. I do think Disney took it too far with Ray...was it necessary for Disney to allow such a cute character to be killed? As I watched the part when Louis brought Ray to Tiana and Naveen, I kept thinking, "Why? What's the point?" (Although I liked that he was finally able to join Evangeline.) The girls, at this point, somewhat lost interest and didn't even realize that he died. I really liked Tiana: her strong will and determination to work hard for what she wants. I loved her relationship with Charlotte - Disney could have made Charlotte mean, spiteful and jealous of Tiana, but made them close friends, who truly cared for each other!! True girlfriends, very refreshing!! The animation is beautiful, and the music WONDERFUL!! The setting of New Orleans adds so much richness and depth to the story. An awesome Disney Princess movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheFMan July 29, 2014

Not Evil!!!

EVERYONE WHO THINKS THIS MOVIE IS INAPPROPRIATE JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!!! I BET YOU'RE ALL JUST SOCCERMOMS WHO COMPLAIN TO THE MEDIA INSTEAD OF JUST TELLING YOUR KIDS NOT TO WATCH IT! PLUS, VOODOO IS NOT REAL SO IF YOUR KIDS GET SCARED JUST TELL THEM IT ISN'T REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEFMAN OUT
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommanderEclipse May 2, 2014

Loved it!

From what I've been seeing the two biggest complaints here are the voodoo and the death of Ray. I understand how the whole thing might have been frightening to youngins, but all that talk about satan? That's a bit of an overreaction. Ray's death was a pretty emotional thing, I started bawling whem I watched it, but its almost a bit more honest to early disney like Dumbo and Bambi. They give the firefly a nice ending, so that was sweet. I'm super surprised they didn't mention Lottie in the sex part of the review, considering I've seen mild flirting mentioned in these reviews before. She readjusts her cleavage in a pretty noticable way. Not a big deal, but I can imagine some parents puttin up a fuss about it.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Great Movie With An Evil Villain

Finally after 7 years since Brother Bear, Disney returns to the drawing board (pun intended) with a classic hand-drawn animation. The Princess and The Frog has some good messages to it. For example, Tiana is the first Disney princess to make it on her own without needing a man, illustrating to young girls that they don't need a man to be successful...just some hard work. She's also Disney's first African-American princess who wins the guy at the end of the movie as opposed to her Caucasian best friend, breaking down some racial barriers. The ONLY problem I have with this movie is the Shadow Man character. He's a pretty dark guy who's into Hoodoo (not to be confused with the pagan religion of Voodoo) magic. But the saving grace in having a villain like this is that it illustrates that magic does not reign over religion. Some of the concepts of the movie (like Hoodoo) will be over young children's heads, but Christian parents can use this opportunity to educate their children further as to why Jesus is the way and not magic. Having said all of that, the film is great, especially if you're watching it on Blu-Ray with surround sound.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHotaru Chan July 8, 2010

5 Stars

I liked this movie a lot. I actually thought it was a little creepy at some spots in the movie, especially at the end where the villain is dragged into darkness. My cousin was a little scared at some spots too, but other than that she was alright. The ending actually made me cry a little, since things like that don't usually happen in Disney movies. In all, It's a spectacular movie that is worth watching.
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2010

For 4 year olds and up kinda scary for 3 years and down.

I like this movie. A first African American princess. WOW! First An African America president, Now a black princess. This is a amazing! This movie teaches you to never give up on your hopes and dreams.
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2010

I bought the album!

Awesome movie with great songs
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

Scarey scenes, and voodoo emphasis, but a cute Disney movie nonetheless

I was surprised at the emphasis placed on voodoo, but it suites the area of the country focused on and reflects the culture of the cajun area. It was more than a bit scarey with the villian & the shadows and I wouldn't have let my 4 yr old watch it without me the first time if I'd known about the scarier parts. The movie was good as a whole and we enjoyed it as a family. Like always, Disney is plugging the merchandise all over and it's hard to avoid the fact that there's a new princess movie out.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTNmomof2 March 28, 2010
Adult Written byjpalin March 28, 2010

Tiana is wonderful role model who knows she will not be rescued by a prince. She knows she has to work for her dreams, and yet, in the end, to get them, she can't sacrafice love. I also loved seeing New Orleans spotlighted this way. The voodoo/shadow scenes were a bit scary, but no more so than other Disney bad guy scenes. The music and animation were wonderful. I love the return to the Disney movies I love - Little Mermaid, Lion King, etc.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykawilder March 22, 2010

Very good, non-traditional princess (or not) story!

I took 2 6 year old girls to this movie. They loved it. Great characters, great music, unique spin on the (if formulaic) story. Loved the fact that the heroine represented some of the diversity these girls see every day. The voodoo master was a little scary, but not so much that they wanted to leave. I do think it would be too much for younger children, though. All in all, a very good film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykittenmady March 19, 2010

Very Funny but scary voodoo scenes. that wrecked the entire movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolmonster December 30, 2009

8 year old movie

meh it was ok but a bit inapropriate (kinda) and scary 4 little 1s
Kid, 11 years old December 25, 2009

Bad movie for 2-4 year olds but boring for older ones

um why would kids 11+ want to see this movie? It's too kiddish! Even kids 7-10 woulden't like it! I mean come on, princess, frog that does not go very good together. Also the shadow guy freaks my sister, Taylor out { age 3} its too scary for the little ones and too childish for older kids! Must I also say the prince frog is too inopropiot for my sister too he says " come on we pucker"! Gosh, those people who say its rated G should say its rated PG instead!
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 27, 2011

Disney really raises the bar for themselves with this wonderful rendition of the fairytale!

Disney never ceases to make wonderful movies that keeps people of all ages entertained. Though the voodoo at times got a little sketchy for younger kids. I found some of the voodoo magic to be slightly creepy at times myself. I cry every time I watch one of the important characters die. Ray the Firefly was my all-time favorite character! I loved him and his entire firefly family! So cute!
Parent Written byjocelynaus February 16, 2014

Really close to being great but unnecessarily scary

Firstly I love Tiana, she is a great character, outside the Disney typecast, not just because of her skin colour but also because she has drive and ambition and works hard at her job to earn her own dream, which she does despite becoming a princess that was not her goal. However at the start of the film she has the weight of the world on her, with a depressing backstory and then chooses love over her family and dreams, deciding to live as a frog. Of course it works out being Disney but a over 1 hour 15 in I still was turning to my husband hoping it would work out for her as we were watching with a skittish child. Which brings me to the 2 star review: it's depressing and unnecessarily scary. Yes, almost all disney movies involve scary characters and magic, no issue with their inclusion, but I think the shadow man and his creepy shadows have as much if not More screen time than Tiana. The entire premise is a bit off course too, the extension of the 'frog kisses princess and becomes prince' story to be that if he 'but if he kisses a waitress she becomes a frog' is a bit weird, couldn't a simple nothing have happened? Tiana have taken care of him, found love and overcome it, beauty and the beast style? I was watching with my own (not phased by this or really any film) 5 and 3 year olds and a friends kids the same age who asked to stop about 3 times over ancillary scenes. This film desperately needed levity and about 1/2 as much screen time for the 'bad guy' even his death was drawn out and scary after the only light character was unceremoniously squashed in 20 seconds in the scene before. Urgh, awful film. So sad for Tiana who is a wonderful addition to the Disney princess line.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRosebud95 May 27, 2012

Watched most of it

It's okay. And my sister said that the villain was sent hell. (O_o) which is interesting for a Disney movie. It would've been better if we saw Tiana as human more, too. Overall, it's okay.
Adult Written byMom of 2boys December 25, 2011

Disappointed.

The voodoo images and content were very scary for my 2 boys, ages 4 and 6. I can not believe this movie is rated G! I kept thinking the movie would get better, but I was disappointed that so much of the movie highlighted darkness (Voodoo). Now I know most Disney movies have good and evil...but this one left me wanting a lot less evil and a lot more good.
Parent Written byJillianSK1 April 27, 2011

Very dark! Very scary!

I hated this movie. There is so much voodoo in it. I would hate for a child to think that voodoo was cool. I pre-watched it for my pre-schoolers. There's no way that I'll ever let me kids watch this one. Which is really too bad, because I love the heroine. She's strong and doesn't need anyone to rescue her, etc.