All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byfeirin December 18, 2009

Strong & Admirable Main Character Paired With Bland Music & A Slow Moving Story

I have two boys ages 8 and 13 and we are big Disney buffs.Unfortunately this movie fell short of what we were hoping.The music was not too catchy nothing that would be considered classic and stick in your head to have you singing when leaving the theater. I love the fact that the main Character Tiana not only is African American but is also strong willed, hard working, and does not give up on her dreams.Mainly a classic happily ever after fairy tale. Could have been more thought or action put into this movie to keep this film entertaining and moving quicker. As far as the vodoo in this movie..please people the movie is taking place in New Orleans,LA. they incorporated the culture, food,language, & history into this movie. It was not meant to be offensive. The villian / scarey scenes are no different than Sleeping beauty pricking her finger and snow white and the poison apple.There has to be a villian and something or someone bad to make the good characters defined and triumph over evil or wrong doing with their strong will and beliefs.Final say is a good movie but not great.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMsKatyJ December 18, 2009

It's Ok

My 5 year old loved it.
Adult Written bymsred2325 December 17, 2009

I understand that the movie is about New Orleans but how is this a G rating?? There is entirely too much about vodoo and spirits for any little one under middle school age to understand. The music overall stunk except for 1 in which the "nice" vodoo priest sung (Dig a little deeper). This is not for young children. Next time I will wait a couple of days before watching any new Disney movie to read other parents views on it.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byShreddly December 17, 2009

Great fun for all the family with disappointing music

It's a great, fun story with very little real peril or violence, though there is quite a bit of creepy voodoo stuff. We all really enjoyed it, but I was rather disappointed by the songs - Disney and Randy Newman have rather lost their touch on this one. The songs are bland an unmemorable and rather too plentiful given their quality.Nothing like the songs on (say) Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast or Toy Story
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykjmommy December 17, 2009

Not for a toddler! Don't waste your money!!!!

I walked out of the theater and got my money back. Extremely disappointing...taught me to PREVIEW everything my three year old watches and to not trust a G rating my Disney. Since when is Voodoo and friends "on the other side" appropriate for a G rating????? Princess Tiana's dreams and story are a nice touch, but other than that, two thumbs down...so disappointing!!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytriplets05 December 16, 2009

Not for Preschool age

Thought the music was not up to par compared to past Disney movies. Don't understand why Disney feels the need to kill off characters...think it is much too harsh for the young children who want to see the movie. Overall very dark...not what I was expecting.
Adult Written byMovieLover217 December 16, 2009

Good for middle aged kids and older.

I love this movie! Lessons are learned because Tiana didn't quit when she tries to get the restaurant. I mean like if you see a part you don't like just close your childs eyes. It's not even a big deal.
Kid, 11 years old December 14, 2009

good movie

I love it!
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written bySonoraSchmidt December 13, 2009

I hadn't read these reviews before going to see this movie today. I had a friend who had taken her child (3.5 and 1.5) to see it and thought it was great. I took my 3.5 year old and didn't think it was very good for her. It was pretty scary for her. A couple of characters die, and we've been fielding those questions several times this evening. The older kids were laughing and loved it. I thought it was cute, for me.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBackroads December 13, 2009

This was a great family movie for... most of the family. Honestly, this is going to have to depend on the family and the children. The story line is fun, creative, and well-thought out, despite a few rushed moments. The songs are a lot of fun, though sometimes take away from character and plot development. But it still remains upbeat with a wonderful message and plenty of humor. Concerns? It is is scary. The villain is the classic voodoo priest who summons demons, consorts with voodoo dolls, and casts a spell involving blood. I don't think it's especially graphic, nor does it dwell on these, but it is a clear part of the plot. There is also a character death. Now Disney is no stranger to killing off a good guy here and there, but I it still can be upsetting. The death is handled very well and actually ends up, to me, as positive and beautiful. But that does not change the fact that someone dies. Sex... it is Disney, there is no sex. But... a girl in an effort to get herself all dolled up adjusts her breasts in her bodice. Again, nothing graphic and I actually thought it hilarious and suited the character's personality. Also, there is another humorous scene where the frogs, whilst catching flies, get a little tongue -tangled. It's very funny and quite the predicament and I don't think it means to be suggestive... but some might see it that way. Overall, this was a delight, with plenty of music and slapstick humor and romance. Great for the family. Just make sure you know what might bother you and your kids.
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2009

I don't like t
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCoraW December 13, 2009

too scary for our 6 year olds b-day party.. two kids left cause they were scared and the birthday girl was hiding in dad!
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bycjack December 12, 2009

Poor, disappointing, thumbs down movie!

I was very disappointed in this movie. I brought my six year old daughter to it. I was more disgusted with the fact that witchcraft and voodoo was even in this. I don't think that is appropriate for any audience but especially not children. Yes, some of the scenes are too scary and evil as well. If they could have left out the witchcraft and witch doctor, it would have been tolerable but not with it. I should have expected it from Disney though. They like New age themes and anything that appears to be anti-Christian. Major thumbs down. Looking back I wish I would have just left but kept thinking if would get better or change, it didn't; it only got worse. I'm already telling my Christian friends Not to see it.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysseguin December 12, 2009

This is a DVD keeper - can't wait for it to come out.

We loved this movie. Loved Tiana - great character, committed to her goals, and knows how to treat others in spite of them. Had some trouble with the scary minions of Dr. Facilier and the voodoo themes, but loved the plot overall. The 7 year old boys liked certain aspects - the cartoon violence and the music. The 9 and 10 year old girls, loved it although they did not laugh nearly as much as I did! Lots to talk about in this movie.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 December 12, 2009

Fun movie that the kids will love. It was not quite as enertaining as some of the other disney or pixar movies. There are some moment where it is a little scary, but nothing any worse than any other disney movie. Overall a good movie with good story and a happy ending.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPJH December 12, 2009

Awesome Movie!!

I am from New Orleans and I think that this movie gives a very good image of our great and wonderful city. Me and 7 other friends (all teenagers) went to see this movie yesterday. It was so funny because there were 8 teenagers in a theater full of kids 7 and younger with their parents. there are some things in the movie that were kind of iffy for little kids, but overall it was a great movie!
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

perfect for all ages

love it!!!!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byAPrincess December 12, 2009

Great Movie for Kids Over 7

My husband and I went to see this movie sans kiddos. We absolutely loved it, and will likely see it again in theaters. The messages in the movie were overwhelminging positive. The heroine, Tiana, is an extremely hardworking woman with a gift for cooking and her eyes on the prize. She dreams of one day owning a restaurant, and exhaust herself day after day to save towards that goal. The movie is about the sacrifices she makes, believing in dreams and in love, opening your heart and your mind, searching deeply within yourself to discover who you truly are, and maybe even having a bit of fun. The storyline follows the typical Disney fairytale template of boy meets girl. The Shadow Man is much too dark, in my opinion, for children under the age of 7. Other than that, the animation was beautiful, the songs were catchy, and the characters were memorable. Great job!
Adult Written bykatiechamplin December 11, 2009

Great music, great plotline, but...

I personally LOVED the movie, but my kids are 5 & 7 (boy & girl) and spent 50% of the movie with their hands over their eyes. The voodoo stuff was wayyy too creepy for them and I'm sure they'll be in my bed with nightmares tonight. Just be very careful if your kids don't like scary stuff.
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bybumpkin December 11, 2009

Disney does it again, but in a different color.

Typical Disney! Why didn't they break the mold and end the movie with the two protagonists staying as frogs? Why did they have to pull out one more magical spell and make them humans, sheesh. Little girls shouldn't be dreaming that one day a prince will come a sweep them away. Disney should not perpetuate these lazy fantasies and come up with something original. Simply using a darker skin color doesn't change their tired old formula.