All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bykjmommy December 17, 2009

Not for a toddler! Don't waste your money!!!!

I walked out of the theater and got my money back. Extremely disappointing...taught me to PREVIEW everything my three year old watches and to not trust a G rating my Disney. Since when is Voodoo and friends "on the other side" appropriate for a G rating????? Princess Tiana's dreams and story are a nice touch, but other than that, two thumbs down...so disappointing!!!
Adult Written byMovieLover217 December 16, 2009

Good for middle aged kids and older.

I love this movie! Lessons are learned because Tiana didn't quit when she tries to get the restaurant. I mean like if you see a part you don't like just close your childs eyes. It's not even a big deal.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byriso30 December 15, 2009

Scary, but most Disney movies have scary moments.

I thought it was a typical Disney film. Many people are hating it because it was too scary. Do any of you parents (age 25-35) remember the Disney movies that you watched when you were a kid? They ALL have a villain. They all have some scary moments. Having to talk to your kid about some scary scenes isn't that bad of a thing.
Kid, 11 years old December 14, 2009

good movie

I love it!
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written bySonoraSchmidt December 13, 2009

I hadn't read these reviews before going to see this movie today. I had a friend who had taken her child (3.5 and 1.5) to see it and thought it was great. I took my 3.5 year old and didn't think it was very good for her. It was pretty scary for her. A couple of characters die, and we've been fielding those questions several times this evening. The older kids were laughing and loved it. I thought it was cute, for me.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBackroads December 13, 2009

This was a great family movie for... most of the family. Honestly, this is going to have to depend on the family and the children. The story line is fun, creative, and well-thought out, despite a few rushed moments. The songs are a lot of fun, though sometimes take away from character and plot development. But it still remains upbeat with a wonderful message and plenty of humor. Concerns? It is is scary. The villain is the classic voodoo priest who summons demons, consorts with voodoo dolls, and casts a spell involving blood. I don't think it's especially graphic, nor does it dwell on these, but it is a clear part of the plot. There is also a character death. Now Disney is no stranger to killing off a good guy here and there, but I it still can be upsetting. The death is handled very well and actually ends up, to me, as positive and beautiful. But that does not change the fact that someone dies. Sex... it is Disney, there is no sex. But... a girl in an effort to get herself all dolled up adjusts her breasts in her bodice. Again, nothing graphic and I actually thought it hilarious and suited the character's personality. Also, there is another humorous scene where the frogs, whilst catching flies, get a little tongue -tangled. It's very funny and quite the predicament and I don't think it means to be suggestive... but some might see it that way. Overall, this was a delight, with plenty of music and slapstick humor and romance. Great for the family. Just make sure you know what might bother you and your kids.
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2009

I don't like t
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCoraW December 13, 2009

too scary for our 6 year olds b-day party.. two kids left cause they were scared and the birthday girl was hiding in dad!
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bycjack December 12, 2009

Poor, disappointing, thumbs down movie!

I was very disappointed in this movie. I brought my six year old daughter to it. I was more disgusted with the fact that witchcraft and voodoo was even in this. I don't think that is appropriate for any audience but especially not children. Yes, some of the scenes are too scary and evil as well. If they could have left out the witchcraft and witch doctor, it would have been tolerable but not with it. I should have expected it from Disney though. They like New age themes and anything that appears to be anti-Christian. Major thumbs down. Looking back I wish I would have just left but kept thinking if would get better or change, it didn't; it only got worse. I'm already telling my Christian friends Not to see it.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysseguin December 12, 2009

This is a DVD keeper - can't wait for it to come out.

We loved this movie. Loved Tiana - great character, committed to her goals, and knows how to treat others in spite of them. Had some trouble with the scary minions of Dr. Facilier and the voodoo themes, but loved the plot overall. The 7 year old boys liked certain aspects - the cartoon violence and the music. The 9 and 10 year old girls, loved it although they did not laugh nearly as much as I did! Lots to talk about in this movie.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 December 12, 2009

Fun movie that the kids will love. It was not quite as enertaining as some of the other disney or pixar movies. There are some moment where it is a little scary, but nothing any worse than any other disney movie. Overall a good movie with good story and a happy ending.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPJH December 12, 2009

Awesome Movie!!

I am from New Orleans and I think that this movie gives a very good image of our great and wonderful city. Me and 7 other friends (all teenagers) went to see this movie yesterday. It was so funny because there were 8 teenagers in a theater full of kids 7 and younger with their parents. there are some things in the movie that were kind of iffy for little kids, but overall it was a great movie!
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

perfect for all ages

love it!!!!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byAPrincess December 12, 2009

Great Movie for Kids Over 7

My husband and I went to see this movie sans kiddos. We absolutely loved it, and will likely see it again in theaters. The messages in the movie were overwhelminging positive. The heroine, Tiana, is an extremely hardworking woman with a gift for cooking and her eyes on the prize. She dreams of one day owning a restaurant, and exhaust herself day after day to save towards that goal. The movie is about the sacrifices she makes, believing in dreams and in love, opening your heart and your mind, searching deeply within yourself to discover who you truly are, and maybe even having a bit of fun. The storyline follows the typical Disney fairytale template of boy meets girl. The Shadow Man is much too dark, in my opinion, for children under the age of 7. Other than that, the animation was beautiful, the songs were catchy, and the characters were memorable. Great job!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhiker1 December 11, 2009

My husband, 5 year old and I all loved this movie! I love the fact that the heroine doesn't need saving or rescuing and she is a very good role model. I didn't have to squelch my own values while watching this movie, which I do in some other Princess movies like Little Mermaid. A nice modern twist on the princess theme. The voodoo stuff was a bit scary for the 5 year old.
Adult Written bykatiechamplin December 11, 2009

Great music, great plotline, but...

I personally LOVED the movie, but my kids are 5 & 7 (boy & girl) and spent 50% of the movie with their hands over their eyes. The voodoo stuff was wayyy too creepy for them and I'm sure they'll be in my bed with nightmares tonight. Just be very careful if your kids don't like scary stuff.
Adult Written bynduns December 11, 2009

Wow, the first day and everyone's being so harsh.

This proves everything people assumed about this film: On the day of its release, people would complain for the sake of complaining! Even though it was made politically correct for all of you, you'd still find a reason to complain because you like complaining! First of all, I thought this was a step in the right direction for Disney. They went back to the classic style. It's not just that there was a black princess in this, but everything was great about it and brought back great memories of the past. Also, it's nice to see Disney no longer talking down to kids in G-rated films. Take THAT, soccermoms!
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bybumpkin December 11, 2009

Disney does it again, but in a different color.

Typical Disney! Why didn't they break the mold and end the movie with the two protagonists staying as frogs? Why did they have to pull out one more magical spell and make them humans, sheesh. Little girls shouldn't be dreaming that one day a prince will come a sweep them away. Disney should not perpetuate these lazy fantasies and come up with something original. Simply using a darker skin color doesn't change their tired old formula.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byxxmom0f2xx December 1, 2009

Your normal fairytale

My son loved this movie.