All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Kid, 11 years old December 25, 2009

Bad movie for 2-4 year olds but boring for older ones

um why would kids 11+ want to see this movie? It's too kiddish! Even kids 7-10 woulden't like it! I mean come on, princess, frog that does not go very good together. Also the shadow guy freaks my sister, Taylor out { age 3} its too scary for the little ones and too childish for older kids! Must I also say the prince frog is too inopropiot for my sister too he says " come on we pucker"! Gosh, those people who say its rated G should say its rated PG instead!
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 27, 2011

Disney really raises the bar for themselves with this wonderful rendition of the fairytale!

Disney never ceases to make wonderful movies that keeps people of all ages entertained. Though the voodoo at times got a little sketchy for younger kids. I found some of the voodoo magic to be slightly creepy at times myself. I cry every time I watch one of the important characters die. Ray the Firefly was my all-time favorite character! I loved him and his entire firefly family! So cute!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRosebud95 May 27, 2012

Watched most of it

It's okay. And my sister said that the villain was sent hell. (O_o) which is interesting for a Disney movie. It would've been better if we saw Tiana as human more, too. Overall, it's okay.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 March 29, 2011

Not a classic, but okay

The Princess and the Frog, while not great, was still enjoyable. I like it how they made an African American princess and she is a very good role model; she's very hardworking, and doesn't wait to be rescued by a prince. The prince starts off as arrogant, but he matures later on. Like Common Sense said, this film makes light of racism and sexism when it could have been portrayed deeper. Also, I didn't like the whole voodoo priest villain and could imagine how much this film would scare kids. Overall it wasn't a bad film, but not the best Disney film and not a classic in my eyes. It's mostly a clean movie, but there are some scary scenes, and the villain is a scary man with voodoo magic. He also says at one point he has villains from the "other side". Also, a supporting character dies unexpectedly. It seemed like the whole movie was okay. But I'm glad Disney went back to recreating a classic story like they did years ago. And I like traditional animation better than CGI.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGreatNoOne February 27, 2011

The princesses are BACK! >:D

I loved it! Saw it twice in the theater and currently own it! Though it can be scary sometimes and with the voodoo and all that, it's mostly kid-friendly! The one thing I don't like is the fact that most of the people in the movie were black. It seemed too cheesy, and obviously there just to stop all of the negativity towards Disney.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 2, 2010

Yay! 2-D animation!

It's pretty good, not my favorite, but I can sure tolerate it. The Shadow Man is a good villan, but his little minions terrify me, yes, I am indeed whimpy, but I digress. Tiana works for her money, she's stubborn, but a good respectful character. Her best friend Lottie is white, they're both funny together. The Prince is hispanic (finally) and he loves jazz, he's a little on the stuck-up side but you can see through that. Tiana doesn't pay him any attention until she pretty much has to, then of course they fall in love. Lottie is personally my favorite character, no, not because I'm 'racist' I just find her funny and slightly irritating. Anyway, Ray and that alligater which name I forgot, are pretty funny, but I personally like Ray. Mama Odi is gross, but funny, I love the casin accents. Sometimes I got confused on who was Navine and who wasn't.. anyway, before I go on, I want to clear up on the whole racist thing. Why is it, that every single move of every single black person on a movie is concittered 'racisum' Yes, I realise that they're poor, but guys, I don't think they meant to be racist by it- please don't be so paranoyed. She 'slaves away' as some call it, well, guys, she's working for she can buy her own resterant. And some say 'she should have a black prince' does it really matter? There were a few other princesses that were differen't races, Pocahontas, Mulan, Jasmine, sure some were white, but differen't. This may be hard to believe, but not every movie's soul perpose is to be racist. Some people may say 'well you're white, you don't understand' of course I understand, but you must realize we aren't all racists, I personally think everybody is beautiful, its personality I judge by. Anyway back to the movie. Around the ending was sad, sweet, but I really didn't like the death scene consittering I loved that character.. it may be scary for little ones, otherwise really cute.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybrunettegirl202 August 29, 2010

BEST MOVIE DISNEY HAS MADE! (after the little mermaid!lol i love her still) coming from a 14 and 19 year old.

This movie was just amazing!!! The story itself, and all the characters were either extremely beautiful, or fit extremely well fit for the part. I who being 14 and my sister who is 19 adored this movie, us being both suckers for sad scenes "literally" cried our eyes away when ray was dying, and when he went up to the beautiful sky with evangeline (i love that name!).seriously almost the whole theater was staring at us but i still saw some sad faces, and tears in peoples eyes. I saw some reviews here from some totally expected parents saying it was too violent because of the voodoo and stuff, and their little kids got scared, and most of them being 6 years old of course would get scared because 6 year olds are more timid than others, I think the better age to watch it is at like 7 or 8, because kids then learn what is going on. And this one parent who made a review said "my 4 year old son said mommy i dont like this movie" Well A. Honey your kids a boy! thats why he doesn't really like this movie cuz boys arent t to crazy with the whole princess thing. i bet you all anything in the beginning if there was like a race car scene your kid wouldnt have complained. but all in all this movie had amazing positive messages, good role models, and it was pretty educational, and the reason why i put too violent here its not that its violent it was the only thing closest to "scary" for like little kids. Im happy they have a black princess who isn't ugly who is in a matter of fact absolutely gorgeous, with a strong radiant voice who ends up with the hot handsome hunk prince, and ya i know some of you are mad at disney cause they made the blonde girl act kind of dumb. But she wasnt really dumb she was just enthusiastic and excited to get married, and meet the prince, and ya we just got a good laugh out of her, she was actually like my 4th favorite character cuz first I LA LA LA LOVE RAY! 2nd I mean who wouldn't like Tiana right she is just absolutely beautiful, and set to achieve her goals? 3rd prince Navigne or however you spell it is just yummalicious and 4th charlotte was just beautiful, bold, and funny! So parents stop acting like parents and being concerned about the voodoo i mean eventually they will know about it, and so what if some were drinking alcohol (just tell your kids its soda), in sleeping beauty the kings actually got drunk! and you drink alcohol, and at one point in their life they will too so stop being so negative on a disney movie, let your children experience movies like that! well ya dont let them watch rated R movies but explain to your children if they get scared, that it was just a movie, and nothing like that will ever happen to them unless your there, or unless they do terrible things (not like breaking a cup, but like killing someone.) SO TO ALL YOU PARENTS OUT THERE THAT ARE UPSET WITH THIS MOVIE! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU ALL!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 12 year old Written byosukiddo July 4, 2010

Will not recommend to anyone.

Disney normally means great storyline, great songs & great animation. That was mostly true. Unfortunately, The Princess & The Frog also had way to much "evil" -- even for a Disney movie, where there's always a bad guy. Marketed to little children, yet full of voodoo, tarot cards and demons. Not what I want my kids seeing at any age. For us, the songs & love story were completely negated by the dark side of the story. Will not recommend to anyone.
Adult Written bygarfield2711 May 21, 2010

An Excellent Disney Film, but pretty scary.

I really enjoyed this film, but I think this film was too freaky for a G rating. It should've been PG. A main character dies, and the villain is literally dragged into what appears to be hell. Be forewarned before letting your youngest see it.
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Not recommended for anyone - boring movie - racist slant

In order to promote the black girl to princess and help her win the heart of the Middle Eastern prince, they give the blonde white girl a small role and make her look like a stupid stuck up snob. Not to mention the fact that it was incredibly boring.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydmoore April 15, 2010

Re-watch "UP" instead.

Way too much Voodoo and scary shadow shapes. I wasn't too happy at the theater with large influence of witch craft. I agree with the other review regarding the first black princess, but she is a frog for most of the movie =( My kids did enjoy it and didn't seem scared (no future nightmares either). But I DID NOT like it for them and will NOT be buying it or allowing Nana to!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byhammer mom March 26, 2010

To much voodoo stuff. Too scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKatie2Fun March 18, 2010

Good for nada

Witchcraft. Ugh.
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byhippiemomma March 4, 2010

Not a good movie for any age

I thought that this movie was overtly racist, but not the way most people think. Blacks are actually portrayed as loving, caring, hard-working people, just doing their best to get by in life. While the whites are rich or greedy, and on the whole just plain stupid. Then there's the "shadow man" who was just plain scary. Way too much voodoo emphasis for a kids' movie.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byBCB February 9, 2010

5-year-olds loved it, but were VERY scared at times

We took a group of 5-year-old girls to see it. They sat in the row in front of us like "big girls," but by halfway through the movie every single one was in mom's lap. The creepy ghosts were VERY scary for them; the villian also VERY scary. Certain scenes in the swamp also had an "ominous" air, even when nothing frightening actually happened. This would have been much better for them by age 7, I think.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byWrynn January 22, 2010

This movie was way too scary for my five year old. She and her six year old friend sat holding each other every time the Shadow man and his minions came on screen. Then she had nightmare all night afterward. I have no idea what they are thinking over there at Disney but we won't be going to see another film in the theaters any time soon because we'll have to pre-screen everything. My husband and I feel we can't trust that G rating anymore.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMom of a Preschooler January 18, 2010

NOT OKAY FOR 5 or YOUNGER!

Wish we did not see it. My son is almost four and my nephew is almost five, and the entire voodoo theme was way too much for them. Not only was it scary, but they also did not understand how the Shadow Man story was linked to the prince turning into a frog and then staying as one.... too complicated.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byclm2009 January 11, 2010

Although it does give Disney a different direction in terms of having an American princess who is African-American, the sub-plot of voodoo is too intense and detracts from the positive message of perserverence.
Adult Written byMommyK January 11, 2010

Was kids the target audience?

This was one of the worst Disney Princess movies we have seen . . . and we've seen just about all their princess movies. Voodoo plays an overwhelming role. Too scary for children 4 and 3 year old. Was at some point thinking that the movie was created for adult audience. Has good and refreshing storyline with princess Tiana turning into a frog and the adventures she experience with her newly found friends. Good to see young woman with aspirations for her own business and dreams while holding her family memories dear. So unfortunate good movie was made bad. Don't know what they thought basing the movie on voodoo . . .
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAB CD January 8, 2010

Too scary -- not appropriate message for young girls!

While Tiana is a good role-model -- hard working, etc., her best friend Charlotte is NOT. I don't see why Disney had to put stuff in like Charlotte pushing her breasts up and saying "I'm gonna get me a man." Since this is aimed at young girls, I think this is very inappropriate. What message are we sending to our young girls? Breasts equate with "getting a man"?? Also, as has been said many times, the voodoo stuff was WAY too much and too scary. And, unnecessary to the plot - the same story could have been told without it being this scary. My 8 year old had nightmares after seeing it.