All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent Written byacasby June 29, 2011

My Favorite movie!

This is one of the best Disney movies in a long time. The music is GREAT! Fun and upbeat. They really grasped the south and lowcountry theme. There is a little bit of dramatic choices that could have come out differently, such as all of the voo doo and creepy voo doo song. but overall is an adorable movie for little girls, and relatable for all races. Its my favorite movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMissE1000 March 26, 2011

Good movie, but lots of Voodoo

I liked this movie, but there was a lot of voodoo and some of it got a bit intense for younger audiences, but this is what I call a great classic Disney Villain!
Adult Written byOptimisticPessi... March 13, 2011

My fav Disney movie. Not meant for kids younger than 7

This is my favourite disney movie. The first ever black disney princess portrayed in a good way not like how movies used to portray black people. Read some of the other comments... ok this movie is based on the story the inspired in part by E. D. Baker's novel The Frog Princess, which was in turn inspired by the Grimm brothers' fairy tale "The Frog Prince." That what disney does takes books and turns them into movies. And the whole part where there tongues are tied together they are not moaning they are groaning because Louis is trying to undo there tongues. They are groaning in pain because he's making it even worse. There is nothing sexual about that. Seriously it is meant to be funny not sexual. The whole Voodoo thing I agree is a little scary for kids who are at least not 7, but it is based on Louisiana Voodoo, which did happen in New Orleans, it was a underground religious practices. The producers of this movie made sure to make this movie replicate New Orleans culture at that time. I agree the part with Ray is very scary cause you can actually hear the crunch. I would say this movie should of been rated PG not G. Seriously people need to do research on this movie before they judge it.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2011

I actually liked it!

Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies personally. Tiana's a good role model and this movie has positive messages. I thought for sure it'd be bad, but i actually liked it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHWADOB March 5, 2011

Lovable Disney Classic

I, unfortunately, was born at the tail-end of the Disney Princess movies and into the short generation of 'let's make some somewhat bad sequels'. At age 4, I was genuinely shocked that Disney animated films didn't come straight to VCR or DVD. But, when I saw the trailer for this movie, I became very giddy and anxious to go to it. During the feature, my toddler memories of the classics before my time washed back over me, and I came out a bit different. On the content note, the whole voodoo theme was very creepy, a side character's death may shocking to younger viewers, and there are a few mild sexual references (notably when Lottie (AKA Charlotte La Bouf) stuffs a few paper napkins into her dress and Naveen's general attitude to women in the beginning of the movie). Depending on the family, alcohol consumption (Tiana samples wine in a song sequence, champagne is used, and a man sees a few interesting (but real) spectacles in front of him and dumps the remaining wine out of the eight glasses he was holding in his costume, giving the idea that he thought he had had a bit too much) and mild kid swear words (dang, heck etc.) may also be
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCuseMom February 28, 2011

Too scary for my 6 year old daughter

I love this story, but my daughter had nightmares about the villain. I think it would be better for ages 8+.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybpowerslol February 20, 2011

I love this movie . The first african american princess my niece who is 3 loves this movie so much she knows all the words lol . Go and watch is :)
Adult Written byCaustiousness Counts January 28, 2011

Be careful of your child's sensitivity to death....

I really enjoyed the movie, however, I would encourage parents to always go by how you think your kids will respond to it. Had I known prior to viewing that there was a death scene of an important character I would not have had my daughters who had just experienced death in their personal lives to watch it. Many movies they watch again and again, not this one, it collects dust on the shelf. Careful consideration to your child's personal life and sensitivity is soooo important. I really like the reviews on this site so far, and hope to use them when chosing future movies.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byheddypeddy January 14, 2011

Disappointing and too much for a disney movie

I really wish I had watched this movie by myself before showing the children. Voodoo and bad spirits are not something I think my kids need to see in a disney movie. Although I have said older kids would be better I am not sure how that would go either because we were lucky that some of the not so nice stuff in the movie went over our kids head. As an adult I found it creepy how one of the characters was killed. Not something I would watch again.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBroadwayFan6 December 31, 2010

The Best Disney Movie Yet

I was in the 'Princess' generation, growing up watching VCRs of Cinderella and Snow White. Even at a very young age, I was always mad that the princesses needed to be constantly saved by someone and were hopeless on their own. Because of this, I've never been a huge Disney fan. My friend saw this with her younger cousin one weekend and told me that I had to see it. At first, I was a bit iffy, the last thing I needed was another damsel in distress. Well, I watched it and was shocked beyond belief. Far from Cinderella, Tiana was different from any other Disney princess out there, Hard-working and determined, she is an amazing role model and positive character. The entire movie left me humming the songs and in love with characters such as the charming Prince Naveen and girly, southern Lottie. Some more sensitive younger children might not like the voodoo man and his friends 'from the other side', but in truth, he wasn't that frightening either to me or my friend's 4-year-old cousin. Another possibly sensitive moment is the death of a beloved character who, surprisingly for a Disney movie, stays dead. All in all, the movie was wonderful and creative, taking place in no fairy-tale castle, but in New Orleans. I would suggest it to any kid (or parent) looking for a break from the usual Disney princesses and plots.
Kid, 11 years old December 24, 2010

Know your kid

I liked the movie a lot but the voodoo man was scary and could prove to be more than that for younger kids. The firefly's death was extremely sad also. There is also a lot of sexy stuff for a disney princess movie.
Adult Written bykhan2705 December 11, 2010

classic disney 2D animation. love it.

Walt Disney Animation Studios presents the musical THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, an animated comedy set in the great city of New Orleans. From the creators of "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin" comes a modern twist on a classic tale, featuring a beautiful girl named Tiana (ANIKA NONI ROSE), a frog prince who desperately wants to be human again, and a fateful kiss that leads them both on a hilarious adventure through the mystical bayous of Louisiana. one of the best animated movies ever, one of the best i have seen recently or lately, one of the best Disney animation and the second most favorite animated movie of the year after UP. this movie is not just a visual treat but has an excellent story and plot. its unbelievably fantastic and sweet with a lovely and likable plot and characters. a musical romantic animated movie. excellent story that reminds you of old Disney movies and very good messages and thinks to learn. screenplay and plot is very interesting, fresh and very indulging. its the old fashioned hand drawn animation which really feels good to watch, i loved it. all the colors that are shown are just fantastic. its seriously a visual pleasure to watch everything. i loved it and so will you. Must watch. and yes it had many good songs in it which is lovely. the visual artistry of songs is captivating. it is a fresh charming movie that never feels a cliche or something. a minor classic.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bysjohns79 December 1, 2010

I felt this movie had an evil undertone and was VERY scary for my 6 year old and my 4 year old. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has kids that are under 8 at least.
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2010

Great movie

This movie is one of Disney's best. It has great music, a funny plot, and great animation. But in one scene, two men are stereotypical to Tiana (telling her a "woman of her background" can't run a restaurant) and the voodoo gods might be scary to younger kids. Anyway, this movie rocks!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjay.B October 24, 2010

jays thoughts

i loved the movie it was awesome
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater September 28, 2010

The first step to getting a more classic disney, getting rid of Hanna Montana, and not starting a protest at the some time

I like this movie. It has humor and it's a nod to the classics. It is a improvement over Home on the range. I like it. I highly recommeded it
Parent of a 2 year old Written byTildis September 28, 2010

Great fun, fantastic music, a little scary

There are a few Disney movies I really love -- Robin Hood, the Fox and the Hound, for example -- and lots I really hate. I watch a lot of Disney with my son, though. We watched this one to death! The music is insanely catchy and the old-fashioned classic visuals are really attractive, and a great nod to Disney films of the past. My son now, when we're getting ready to leave the house, sings: "Are you reaadddyyy?" a la the Shadowman. I will say that the portrayal of New Orleans and voodoo culture seems glammed, naive and a little hack to me as a grownup, but little kids won't pick up on that. Some kids three and under might be scared of the Shadowman and his devillish servants. My son liked them -- "ooh, monsters! Ghosts!" -- but he is kind of unusual in that respect and seems to be drawn to the baddies in movies :). I will mention to that the Shadowman is voiced by the actor who played Childs in the Thing! How cool that is! The characters are realistically flawed and humourous. Tiana and Naveen are adorable, though their relationship grows from dislike to love pretty fast. Anyhow, I would highly recommend this -- it's entertaining, and there's lots of zydeco music! :)
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byG-ma-Atl September 19, 2010

It's a Classic! Keep the same title.

My girls loved it! In fact, they KNOW ALL OF THE SONG!!!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bykatieleis87 September 8, 2010

Great movie for all ages

Ever since I first saw this movie, I was taken by it. The stunning Disney 2D animation mixed with classic dixie land jazz was incredible!! The overall morals were great, and it will teach kids that working for their goals is important. It also shows that you don't have to be a rich heiress to get what you dream (as in one of the characters Charlotte). It also had a beauty and the beast esque message about how its whats on the inside that counts (they fall in love as frogs). Yes, there is some slapstick comedy and very very slight innuendo, however it must be taken into consideration that 1) it is a cartoon, and must be treated as such and 2) frankly, it's nothing that they wouldn't get out of most other disney movies anyway... Also, the theme of voodoo is prevalent throughout, however that was a big part of Louisiana culture and proves that good wins over evil every time. Overall, it was an incredible movie, and i watch it almost 2 times a week =D
Parent of a 3 year old Written bytiaceleste September 7, 2010

Great for school-aged kids

I love the message of putting your dreams first and working hard to achieve them. It's a pretty girl power movie in that Tiana wants to be a successful business woman. I had trouble explaining the death scene with the firefly and the voodoo magic to my 3 year old so I would say it's good for older kids.