All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent Written byJLFM May 16, 2012

There's some heavy voodoo, but it's lots of fun, and has a good role model.

Kid, 7 years old May 12, 2012

G-Rated But Shot in the Face? Really, Disney? Really, MPAA?

Extreme violence by any standards: One character shoots another in the face with a shotgun at point-blank range. I don't care that in true "cartoon violence" style, the character simply gets his hair burned. My child and others were terrified.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKidquizine March 20, 2012

The Princess and the Frog Movie

This movie is NOT appropriate for little kids. People might be drawn to this because it is a princess movie but it is the scariest princess movie. The voodoo man (referred to as shadow man) scares some kids. The princess Tiana is shown as a hard worker though who wants her dreams to come true and that is a positive message. However, she agrees to kiss a frog thinking that she will get rewarded. The main focus is kissing in this movie. This movie should have been PG and it is very violent. However Tiana is a good role model by working hard to achieve her goal. Watch this movie before your child does!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHarryPotterForever March 19, 2012

Don't See A Problem

I don't know why people are complaining about. Yes, there is quite a bit of voodo...but it's like the hype with Harry Potter teaching kids Witchcraft...the movie doesn't TECH anyone witchcraft...only the Shadow Man is seen doing any Voodo - The Villan. Mama Odie - the good Voodo woman - doesn't use it at all... I don't really see the stereotypes as a problem. I mean, look at the stuff on Disney Channel nowadays! You'll see what I mean. But I liked how the movie gave the spoiled rich girl something...she gave up her dream of marrying a prince so Tiana could be with the man she loved...that's cool. And Tiana is a great role-model...you have to work hard to get somewhere in life. The Shadow Man is a little scary, but look at some other Disney Movies - Black Cauldron, Sleeping Beauty etc: - and you'll see alot of the villans are creepy! Have you SEEN Malecifent? Yes, an important character dies, but that's not any different from any Disney Movie - Lion King, Bambi, Tarzan, Hercules (though she came back to life but still), Black Cauldron - and good characters die. Personally, I find it realistic. People die in real life. I think this is a very good Disney movie. I think some kids might be a little scared...but my cousin was only 4/5 when she saw it and she was fine. So was my 3 year old brother.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylindseytdwt March 13, 2012

Calm Down

Some of you parents and others seriously need to calm down. Yes, a character dies, is that so scary, lets see where you are in 300 years from now, yeah, not likely to be alive? Also if you think this movie is sexual besides kissing and stuff, wake up. There is a part in the movie when Naveen says to Tiana, "We might be here awhile, so let's get comfortable." If you think that's sexual your thinking in the wrong way. It could just mean cuddling and nothing is sexual about that. You cuddle with your spouse, your kids, animals cuddle to show love. The only thing sexual is kissing and that is everywhere! So it's really not that sexual. I have to admit, the voodoo scenes were kinda scary, but they can't avoid it forever. I mean think about it, wouldn't you rather have your kid learning about voodoo now then 20 years later when they actually do get caught up in voodoo. I mean, this teaches kids what not to get into and who not to trust. Also I love the fact that Tiana is an African-American princess who's independent! Don't focus so much on the negative and think about the positive. This movie shows that if you work hard and never give up, you can accomplish anything. I thought the movie was a true delight!
Teen, 14 years old Written byicestardethklokfan March 11, 2012

stop over-reacting.

the voodoo thing is a bit scary yes,and a character dies,yes,but guys-IT'S DISNEY!what kind of Disney did you expect,steamboat Willie?i think this movie's great.it goes back to classic Disney and the animation is beautiful.i don't think it's fair that you guys are saying it's for teens only and it's terrible.you should know by now that movies are probably going to have violence and 'witchcraft' but you don't have to freak out over it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadygaga12348 February 8, 2012

Awesome

this is a great movie and the people that said it was violent were just playing around
Teen, 17 years old Written bylamanjalo February 5, 2012

I

FANTASTIC and great music!
Parent Written byacasby June 29, 2011

My Favorite movie!

This is one of the best Disney movies in a long time. The music is GREAT! Fun and upbeat. They really grasped the south and lowcountry theme. There is a little bit of dramatic choices that could have come out differently, such as all of the voo doo and creepy voo doo song. but overall is an adorable movie for little girls, and relatable for all races. Its my favorite movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMissE1000 March 26, 2011

Good movie, but lots of Voodoo

I liked this movie, but there was a lot of voodoo and some of it got a bit intense for younger audiences, but this is what I call a great classic Disney Villain!
Adult Written byOptimisticPessi... March 13, 2011

My fav Disney movie. Not meant for kids younger than 7

This is my favourite disney movie. The first ever black disney princess portrayed in a good way not like how movies used to portray black people. Read some of the other comments... ok this movie is based on the story the inspired in part by E. D. Baker's novel The Frog Princess, which was in turn inspired by the Grimm brothers' fairy tale "The Frog Prince." That what disney does takes books and turns them into movies. And the whole part where there tongues are tied together they are not moaning they are groaning because Louis is trying to undo there tongues. They are groaning in pain because he's making it even worse. There is nothing sexual about that. Seriously it is meant to be funny not sexual. The whole Voodoo thing I agree is a little scary for kids who are at least not 7, but it is based on Louisiana Voodoo, which did happen in New Orleans, it was a underground religious practices. The producers of this movie made sure to make this movie replicate New Orleans culture at that time. I agree the part with Ray is very scary cause you can actually hear the crunch. I would say this movie should of been rated PG not G. Seriously people need to do research on this movie before they judge it.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2011

I actually liked it!

Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies personally. Tiana's a good role model and this movie has positive messages. I thought for sure it'd be bad, but i actually liked it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHWADOB March 5, 2011

Lovable Disney Classic

I, unfortunately, was born at the tail-end of the Disney Princess movies and into the short generation of 'let's make some somewhat bad sequels'. At age 4, I was genuinely shocked that Disney animated films didn't come straight to VCR or DVD. But, when I saw the trailer for this movie, I became very giddy and anxious to go to it. During the feature, my toddler memories of the classics before my time washed back over me, and I came out a bit different. On the content note, the whole voodoo theme was very creepy, a side character's death may shocking to younger viewers, and there are a few mild sexual references (notably when Lottie (AKA Charlotte La Bouf) stuffs a few paper napkins into her dress and Naveen's general attitude to women in the beginning of the movie). Depending on the family, alcohol consumption (Tiana samples wine in a song sequence, champagne is used, and a man sees a few interesting (but real) spectacles in front of him and dumps the remaining wine out of the eight glasses he was holding in his costume, giving the idea that he thought he had had a bit too much) and mild kid swear words (dang, heck etc.) may also be
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCuseMom February 28, 2011

Too scary for my 6 year old daughter

I love this story, but my daughter had nightmares about the villain. I think it would be better for ages 8+.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybpowerslol February 20, 2011

I love this movie . The first african american princess my niece who is 3 loves this movie so much she knows all the words lol . Go and watch is :)
Adult Written byCaustiousness Counts January 28, 2011

Be careful of your child's sensitivity to death....

I really enjoyed the movie, however, I would encourage parents to always go by how you think your kids will respond to it. Had I known prior to viewing that there was a death scene of an important character I would not have had my daughters who had just experienced death in their personal lives to watch it. Many movies they watch again and again, not this one, it collects dust on the shelf. Careful consideration to your child's personal life and sensitivity is soooo important. I really like the reviews on this site so far, and hope to use them when chosing future movies.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byheddypeddy January 14, 2011

Disappointing and too much for a disney movie

I really wish I had watched this movie by myself before showing the children. Voodoo and bad spirits are not something I think my kids need to see in a disney movie. Although I have said older kids would be better I am not sure how that would go either because we were lucky that some of the not so nice stuff in the movie went over our kids head. As an adult I found it creepy how one of the characters was killed. Not something I would watch again.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBroadwayFan6 December 31, 2010

The Best Disney Movie Yet

I was in the 'Princess' generation, growing up watching VCRs of Cinderella and Snow White. Even at a very young age, I was always mad that the princesses needed to be constantly saved by someone and were hopeless on their own. Because of this, I've never been a huge Disney fan. My friend saw this with her younger cousin one weekend and told me that I had to see it. At first, I was a bit iffy, the last thing I needed was another damsel in distress. Well, I watched it and was shocked beyond belief. Far from Cinderella, Tiana was different from any other Disney princess out there, Hard-working and determined, she is an amazing role model and positive character. The entire movie left me humming the songs and in love with characters such as the charming Prince Naveen and girly, southern Lottie. Some more sensitive younger children might not like the voodoo man and his friends 'from the other side', but in truth, he wasn't that frightening either to me or my friend's 4-year-old cousin. Another possibly sensitive moment is the death of a beloved character who, surprisingly for a Disney movie, stays dead. All in all, the movie was wonderful and creative, taking place in no fairy-tale castle, but in New Orleans. I would suggest it to any kid (or parent) looking for a break from the usual Disney princesses and plots.
Kid, 11 years old December 24, 2010

Know your kid

I liked the movie a lot but the voodoo man was scary and could prove to be more than that for younger kids. The firefly's death was extremely sad also. There is also a lot of sexy stuff for a disney princess movie.
Adult Written bykhan2705 December 11, 2010

classic disney 2D animation. love it.

Walt Disney Animation Studios presents the musical THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, an animated comedy set in the great city of New Orleans. From the creators of "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin" comes a modern twist on a classic tale, featuring a beautiful girl named Tiana (ANIKA NONI ROSE), a frog prince who desperately wants to be human again, and a fateful kiss that leads them both on a hilarious adventure through the mystical bayous of Louisiana. one of the best animated movies ever, one of the best i have seen recently or lately, one of the best Disney animation and the second most favorite animated movie of the year after UP. this movie is not just a visual treat but has an excellent story and plot. its unbelievably fantastic and sweet with a lovely and likable plot and characters. a musical romantic animated movie. excellent story that reminds you of old Disney movies and very good messages and thinks to learn. screenplay and plot is very interesting, fresh and very indulging. its the old fashioned hand drawn animation which really feels good to watch, i loved it. all the colors that are shown are just fantastic. its seriously a visual pleasure to watch everything. i loved it and so will you. Must watch. and yes it had many good songs in it which is lovely. the visual artistry of songs is captivating. it is a fresh charming movie that never feels a cliche or something. a minor classic.