All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus December 15, 2012

Meh.

This movie is a pretty good and fun family movie, but also very forgettable.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag December 2, 2012

Disney goes back to old fashioned animation, with some peril.

"The Princess and the Frog" is a Disney cartoon released in 2009. Being released in a time, where CGI animation takes overhand, Disney decided to go back to their well-known, traditional hand-drawn cartoon style. Since commercial success is not guaranteed with such an idea, Disney tried to bring in two innovations: firstly, it takes a well-known fairytale and turns it upside down. Instead turning the frog into his human form, the kiss between the protagonists turnt the (human) female protagonist into a frog. Secondly, this cartoon is set in a world, in which at least half of the citizens are Afro-Americans, finally exterminating the stereotypical depiction we know from Disney cartoons. As much as these ideas are interesting, as much the movie lacks the brilliance of Disney's earlier movies, such as the all-time favourite masterpiece "The Lion King" or the thoughtful, superb "Pocahontas". The plot seems a bit predictable, and the characters are not nearly as amazing as in the older movies. An exception is the side-character Louis, a jazz-addicted aligator, who is scene-stealing and interesting, but the second side character of Ray, a firefly, seems a bit uninspired. The songs "Down in New Orleans" and "Almost There" are really good, but none of the songs in this movie are as perfect as the soundtracks to films such as "The Lion King", "Pocahontas" or "Mulan". But still, "The Princess and the Frog" has its moments. There is a message about that love will find a way, and that inner values are more important than looking good or being wealthy. In the end, even the macho is not as superficial as he seems. "The Princess and the Frog" is nowhere a masterpiece, but it is a movie in the right direction. Hopefully, movies like this - and Disney/Pixar's superb CGI films - will finally triumph over the endless, dreadful teen dramas, annoying sitcoms and unnecessary 3D re-releases Disney has done in the last few years. --------------------------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) Very mild peril overall. Not much violence. A drop of blood is shown. The villain is dark, but the athmosphere is not as intense as in e.g. "The Lion King" But still, Ray, one of the four main characters, dies at the end of the movie. He gets crushed, but his dead body is shown without any injury. Should be okay for younger viewers, but they should watch it with a parent.
Kid, 7 years old November 8, 2012

Don't bother

Don't bother to watch this movie. I would rate this movie PG and my brother said he would rate it PG 13 but I think that's a little too much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byColtrane Class May 29, 2012

Never Give Up On Your Dreams

I think the The Princess & The Frog was a very good and inspirstional movie. It teaches a positive message about going after what you want and working hard for it. The main character Tiana is a girl who has had a dream of having her own resturaunt. She's been saving since she was a child. But when she gets the money she comes to a situation where things go wrong. When The hadsome Prince comes to town, The shadow man gets involved and messes things up. She only has a limited time to get them fixed or bad thing will appear. Watch the movie to find out what happens when Tiana's dreams change right before her eyes!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 28, 2012

Excellent reason why Disney is still on top

An excellent animated soon-to-be classic that showcases the great music of New Orleans and an extremely well-cast voice talent! It's got great themes about digging deep to find yourself.
Parent Written byJackie&Josie's Mommy May 27, 2012

Parent Alert! READ BEFORE WATCHING MOVIE!!!!

GREAT JOB Disney, for FINALLY showing our kids that PRINCESSES COME IN ALL COLORS! Sad that it took decades! But focusing on the Positive, better late than never! I am a white mom of girls, however I think it's wonderful that my girls are exposed to different cultures and especially since both my girls as well as my group of friends include members of the African American race, Hispanic and even Asian races! My ONLY gripe with this film, is that the Voodoo in the movie may have been a bit much and perhaps a tad stereotypical. However, that's where good parenting comes in! TALK TO YOUR KIDS, and KNOW THEM, well enough so that they can handle subject matters like this in a mature, healthy way! All in all, I LOVED IT! And so did my girls! THANK YOU DISNEY! Keep it Coming!
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bynewgirl1993 May 25, 2012

Great Message

Parent Written byJLFM May 16, 2012

There's some heavy voodoo, but it's lots of fun, and has a good role model.

Kid, 7 years old May 12, 2012

G-Rated But Shot in the Face? Really, Disney? Really, MPAA?

Extreme violence by any standards: One character shoots another in the face with a shotgun at point-blank range. I don't care that in true "cartoon violence" style, the character simply gets his hair burned. My child and others were terrified.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKidquizine March 20, 2012

The Princess and the Frog Movie

This movie is NOT appropriate for little kids. People might be drawn to this because it is a princess movie but it is the scariest princess movie. The voodoo man (referred to as shadow man) scares some kids. The princess Tiana is shown as a hard worker though who wants her dreams to come true and that is a positive message. However, she agrees to kiss a frog thinking that she will get rewarded. The main focus is kissing in this movie. This movie should have been PG and it is very violent. However Tiana is a good role model by working hard to achieve her goal. Watch this movie before your child does!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHarryPotterForever March 19, 2012

Don't See A Problem

I don't know why people are complaining about. Yes, there is quite a bit of voodo...but it's like the hype with Harry Potter teaching kids Witchcraft...the movie doesn't TECH anyone witchcraft...only the Shadow Man is seen doing any Voodo - The Villan. Mama Odie - the good Voodo woman - doesn't use it at all... I don't really see the stereotypes as a problem. I mean, look at the stuff on Disney Channel nowadays! You'll see what I mean. But I liked how the movie gave the spoiled rich girl something...she gave up her dream of marrying a prince so Tiana could be with the man she loved...that's cool. And Tiana is a great role-model...you have to work hard to get somewhere in life. The Shadow Man is a little scary, but look at some other Disney Movies - Black Cauldron, Sleeping Beauty etc: - and you'll see alot of the villans are creepy! Have you SEEN Malecifent? Yes, an important character dies, but that's not any different from any Disney Movie - Lion King, Bambi, Tarzan, Hercules (though she came back to life but still), Black Cauldron - and good characters die. Personally, I find it realistic. People die in real life. I think this is a very good Disney movie. I think some kids might be a little scared...but my cousin was only 4/5 when she saw it and she was fine. So was my 3 year old brother.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylindseytdwt March 13, 2012

Calm Down

Some of you parents and others seriously need to calm down. Yes, a character dies, is that so scary, lets see where you are in 300 years from now, yeah, not likely to be alive? Also if you think this movie is sexual besides kissing and stuff, wake up. There is a part in the movie when Naveen says to Tiana, "We might be here awhile, so let's get comfortable." If you think that's sexual your thinking in the wrong way. It could just mean cuddling and nothing is sexual about that. You cuddle with your spouse, your kids, animals cuddle to show love. The only thing sexual is kissing and that is everywhere! So it's really not that sexual. I have to admit, the voodoo scenes were kinda scary, but they can't avoid it forever. I mean think about it, wouldn't you rather have your kid learning about voodoo now then 20 years later when they actually do get caught up in voodoo. I mean, this teaches kids what not to get into and who not to trust. Also I love the fact that Tiana is an African-American princess who's independent! Don't focus so much on the negative and think about the positive. This movie shows that if you work hard and never give up, you can accomplish anything. I thought the movie was a true delight!
Teen, 14 years old Written byicestardethklokfan March 11, 2012

stop over-reacting.

the voodoo thing is a bit scary yes,and a character dies,yes,but guys-IT'S DISNEY!what kind of Disney did you expect,steamboat Willie?i think this movie's great.it goes back to classic Disney and the animation is beautiful.i don't think it's fair that you guys are saying it's for teens only and it's terrible.you should know by now that movies are probably going to have violence and 'witchcraft' but you don't have to freak out over it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadygaga12348 February 8, 2012

Awesome

this is a great movie and the people that said it was violent were just playing around
Teen, 17 years old Written bylamanjalo February 5, 2012

I

FANTASTIC and great music!
Parent Written byacasby June 29, 2011

My Favorite movie!

This is one of the best Disney movies in a long time. The music is GREAT! Fun and upbeat. They really grasped the south and lowcountry theme. There is a little bit of dramatic choices that could have come out differently, such as all of the voo doo and creepy voo doo song. but overall is an adorable movie for little girls, and relatable for all races. Its my favorite movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMissE1000 March 26, 2011

Good movie, but lots of Voodoo

I liked this movie, but there was a lot of voodoo and some of it got a bit intense for younger audiences, but this is what I call a great classic Disney Villain!
Adult Written byOptimisticPessi... March 13, 2011

My fav Disney movie. Not meant for kids younger than 7

This is my favourite disney movie. The first ever black disney princess portrayed in a good way not like how movies used to portray black people. Read some of the other comments... ok this movie is based on the story the inspired in part by E. D. Baker's novel The Frog Princess, which was in turn inspired by the Grimm brothers' fairy tale "The Frog Prince." That what disney does takes books and turns them into movies. And the whole part where there tongues are tied together they are not moaning they are groaning because Louis is trying to undo there tongues. They are groaning in pain because he's making it even worse. There is nothing sexual about that. Seriously it is meant to be funny not sexual. The whole Voodoo thing I agree is a little scary for kids who are at least not 7, but it is based on Louisiana Voodoo, which did happen in New Orleans, it was a underground religious practices. The producers of this movie made sure to make this movie replicate New Orleans culture at that time. I agree the part with Ray is very scary cause you can actually hear the crunch. I would say this movie should of been rated PG not G. Seriously people need to do research on this movie before they judge it.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2011

I actually liked it!

Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies personally. Tiana's a good role model and this movie has positive messages. I thought for sure it'd be bad, but i actually liked it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHWADOB March 5, 2011

Lovable Disney Classic

I, unfortunately, was born at the tail-end of the Disney Princess movies and into the short generation of 'let's make some somewhat bad sequels'. At age 4, I was genuinely shocked that Disney animated films didn't come straight to VCR or DVD. But, when I saw the trailer for this movie, I became very giddy and anxious to go to it. During the feature, my toddler memories of the classics before my time washed back over me, and I came out a bit different. On the content note, the whole voodoo theme was very creepy, a side character's death may shocking to younger viewers, and there are a few mild sexual references (notably when Lottie (AKA Charlotte La Bouf) stuffs a few paper napkins into her dress and Naveen's general attitude to women in the beginning of the movie). Depending on the family, alcohol consumption (Tiana samples wine in a song sequence, champagne is used, and a man sees a few interesting (but real) spectacles in front of him and dumps the remaining wine out of the eight glasses he was holding in his costume, giving the idea that he thought he had had a bit too much) and mild kid swear words (dang, heck etc.) may also be