All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 2, 2010

Yay! 2-D animation!

It's pretty good, not my favorite, but I can sure tolerate it. The Shadow Man is a good villan, but his little minions terrify me, yes, I am indeed whimpy, but I digress. Tiana works for her money, she's stubborn, but a good respectful character. Her best friend Lottie is white, they're both funny together. The Prince is hispanic (finally) and he loves jazz, he's a little on the stuck-up side but you can see through that. Tiana doesn't pay him any attention until she pretty much has to, then of course they fall in love. Lottie is personally my favorite character, no, not because I'm 'racist' I just find her funny and slightly irritating. Anyway, Ray and that alligater which name I forgot, are pretty funny, but I personally like Ray. Mama Odi is gross, but funny, I love the casin accents. Sometimes I got confused on who was Navine and who wasn't.. anyway, before I go on, I want to clear up on the whole racist thing. Why is it, that every single move of every single black person on a movie is concittered 'racisum' Yes, I realise that they're poor, but guys, I don't think they meant to be racist by it- please don't be so paranoyed. She 'slaves away' as some call it, well, guys, she's working for she can buy her own resterant. And some say 'she should have a black prince' does it really matter? There were a few other princesses that were differen't races, Pocahontas, Mulan, Jasmine, sure some were white, but differen't. This may be hard to believe, but not every movie's soul perpose is to be racist. Some people may say 'well you're white, you don't understand' of course I understand, but you must realize we aren't all racists, I personally think everybody is beautiful, its personality I judge by. Anyway back to the movie. Around the ending was sad, sweet, but I really didn't like the death scene consittering I loved that character.. it may be scary for little ones, otherwise really cute.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater September 28, 2010

The first step to getting a more classic disney, getting rid of Hanna Montana, and not starting a protest at the some time

I like this movie. It has humor and it's a nod to the classics. It is a improvement over Home on the range. I like it. I highly recommeded it
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written bycdnkb August 9, 2010

This is my 3 year old son's current favourite

My 3 year old loves this movie and I love watching it with him. The characters are fantastic. He loves the shadow man, sings along to the fabulous music and isn't afraid of any of it. Plus it has sparked an interest in my son to start cooking with me more. It's an instant classic at our house.
Kid, 10 years old July 21, 2010

This movie is great for families! It has great messages for kids to know. Although there is a bad guy in the movie that might be scary for kids younger than 6. Over all, I loved it!
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Not recommended for anyone - boring movie - racist slant

In order to promote the black girl to princess and help her win the heart of the Middle Eastern prince, they give the blonde white girl a small role and make her look like a stupid stuck up snob. Not to mention the fact that it was incredibly boring.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2010

A family favorite!

The Princess and the Frog! Ah, yes! The name so dearly loved inspired by the story of the Frog Prince. A magical time with a message ("It's not slime, It's mucus") and loveable characters!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKatie2Fun March 18, 2010

Adult Written bybaby_blue March 17, 2010

Wonderful for all ages

Loved it. Took my 3 neices to see t was a wonderful move
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife March 16, 2010

Can be scary for little ones...Easily our family's favorite!!

I agree with the other parents that the voodoo and Shadowman's "friends" are a bit on the creepy side, but my 4 year old son and 6 year old daughter love the movie!!! The movie shows how things were years ago in that area - not "racist" in my eyes. That was the reality of the times. Just gives me an opportunity to talk about the unfairness that happened then and that is still happening in the world. My kids don't ask, though. Goes over their heads at this point. I never really liked the prince and his slacker ways. He was completely fine with it through most of the movie. Tiana was so admirable, though. Even her Daddy gave good advice...that wishing on a star for things only gets you halfway to your dreams. The rest is all up to you and your hard work to get to them. We all love the music and the firefly and gator are just a hoot! The kids thought the tongue tied part was funny. I can see how an adult can read into it. For kids, it's just funny that they are all stuck and twisted. If your kids are easily scared by shadows and magic stuff, I'd skip this movie for a while. My kids love the first 2 Harry Potter stuff, so they are ok with magic and creepy things. I just let them know it's pretend and they are good to go. The firefly dying was actually very well presented. When he died, I had a feeling they would bring him back magically, like a lot of movies do. Disney didn't do that, though. They made him into a star and both my kids were so happy about that!! Overall, this is a wonderful movie with a VERY strong female character. We love it!!! We have ordered it and it will stay with us for a very long time!! Easily MY favorite!!
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written bykimberlym February 28, 2010

Voodoo ruined the movie

I had a hard time getting past the voodoo pieces and theme throughout the movie. i think that the dark themes ruined a nice fairy tale.
Kid, 7 years old February 23, 2010

love it
Parent of a 4 year old Written bywymama February 20, 2010

Great movie for all ages!

I took my 4-year-old and he and both parents loved it. He is usually sensitive to scary, but I didn't hear a peep from him...and we loved the music. Definitely good messages for strong girls. The death scene was sad, but well done. Kids can handle deaths of real people, why not fireflies? Great one!
Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2010

really good family movie, but maybe a little scary for childen under 7!

I wasn't sure when I went to go see it , I thought it might be babyish, but I really liked it! there where some parts that we're sorta scary for little kids, like when the bad magicion was calling the spirets, my 7 year old brother came with me and he said it was a little scary for him. but seens there haven't been to many G rated movies lately and its a good movie I reomend you go to it!
Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2010

Craziness

This is a fairytale happily ever after movie you let your kids wacth cinderrella snow white and sleeping buety so how come they cant see this
Parent of a 5 year old Written byBCB February 9, 2010

5-year-olds loved it, but were VERY scared at times

We took a group of 5-year-old girls to see it. They sat in the row in front of us like "big girls," but by halfway through the movie every single one was in mom's lap. The creepy ghosts were VERY scary for them; the villian also VERY scary. Certain scenes in the swamp also had an "ominous" air, even when nothing frightening actually happened. This would have been much better for them by age 7, I think.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMom of a Preschooler January 18, 2010

NOT OKAY FOR 5 or YOUNGER!

Wish we did not see it. My son is almost four and my nephew is almost five, and the entire voodoo theme was way too much for them. Not only was it scary, but they also did not understand how the Shadow Man story was linked to the prince turning into a frog and then staying as one.... too complicated.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byRachelNZ January 16, 2010

Scarier than we expected

Scarier than we expected, which was probably silly of us when you consider other Disney Princess movies like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White which also have quite frightening sections. Loved the heroine, who is feisty, hard-working and smart. I took two four year olds and two seven year olds and we all wound up squashed into three seats during the scary bits. I wouldn't recommend it to sensitive kids and we had to have quite a long discussion about Voodoo afterwards which was quite interesting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 January 12, 2010

Uhmm... I was disappointed...

this movie was completely different than anything disney I've ever seen. I enjoyed about two scenes... 1. The bad guy is shown WAY to frequently... and his scenes are creepy...! 2. There were about two scenes I really found "heartwarming" 3. They kill off the little jimmeny (haha spelled that wrong) cricket character! what the heck were they thinking? That will upset young children... btw i said off just because i didnt like the movie...
Parent of a 2 year old Written byfredyta January 11, 2010