All member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

First African-American Disney princess is a good role model.

Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 14 year old Written bySavedMomof4Girls December 29, 2009

NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12!

I was VERY disappointed! I would have NEVER brought my children! Black magic, shadowy ghosts, the villain squashing one of the bug characters with his boot killing him, caring a vile of blood around his neck.....This is a dark, inappropriate movie for children.
Adult Written byt7as0e3bf December 18, 2009

Don't like magic? Don't watch ANY Disney films.

For those who complained about the voodoo or "witchcraft", haven't you ever seen a Disney movie? There is always a sorcerer, witch or someone who does magic....it's funny that it is offensive to you now.
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2010

caution for 8 and younger

i personally think that this movie doesn't hardly have any quality. any three year old could pick this movie out at a library and her mom would easily check it out. later, she would be terrified by the voodoo man. they also could be very sad by the character that is important and dies. when watching this movie, a 5 year girl behind me in the audience was crying very hard!
Parent Written bymikalulu March 17, 2011

Not for young children.

I liked the movie, but am very happy that I watched it without my 4 year old. She would have been terrified. I can safely say that I will not allow her to watch this until she is 8 (which, by the way is when I will let her watch Snow White) Some points that I did not like: First: the prince is a schlep, does nothing, isn't worth her wasting her time on ... he should have ended up with the spoiled girl. Second: there is far too much scary and violent stuff, like the shadows chasing them (did we really need to see them that much) and his deal making with those "from the other side" (skeleton face, big scary masks, explosions, chase scenes, etc.) ... also, wouldn't the scene with the frog hunters been equally funny if they hadn't beaten each other over hte head one hundred times? They could have easily just ran in to each other, tripped over things, etc. there was no need for the gratuitous violence. Third: why did they have to drink? Fourth: why did he have to step on the firefly so calously (looking down at it, almost enjoying it)? And why the overly dramatic death? Just because it is animated it does not justify a G rating. If this movie had not been animated it would have easily been rated R. I think PG or PG-13 would have certainly been more appropriate.
Parent of a 3, 3, 4, and 6 year old Written bySafeMom December 11, 2009

Voodoo is not entertainment.

I hate that voodoo is treated so lightly in this film, especially by the "good" guys. My kids won't be going near it-- at ANY age.
Teen, 15 years old Written byyoullbeinmyheart May 2, 2010

Adorable with realistic life lessons.

I absolutely adored this movie. First off, the new princess isn't already privileged, which makes the person watching it feel closer to her as a character. People may be weary of the villian, but if you think about it, it's a good way to keep kids out of future troublemaking. Think about how many palmreaders and tarrot card places there are. Wouldn't you Want your child to think of that as bad and evil even if it was just because of Dr. Facilier? It sends the right message, in my opinion. Another thing that caught my attention in a good way was that the prince wasn't perfect. In pretty much all the other disney princess movies, the prince is made to be handsome, strong, intellegent, and kind- perfect. Prince Naveen isn't and I think that makes it easier for children to believe in fantasy and that they really can follow their dreams, because it's alot more realistic than the usual princess story. The issue of there being a few kisses and a glass of wine in somone's hand, are quite frankly so little that I doubt anyone under the age of 8 would notice or care. They probably see more of it in reality than they will in this movie. Lastly, it's set in New Orleans, with fantastic music, amazing voice acting, and absolutely gorgeous HAND-DRAWN animation. I'm proud of disney for going back to the traditional animation. This is how a movie truly should be made. I'm 15, and I have seen this movie over 15 times. I'm not tired of seeing it, and I doubt I ever will be. Disney has done it again.
Adult Written bylodia December 14, 2009

Frog Princess, took my breathe away

BEWARE PARENTS! The voodoo theme was absolutely too overpowering, So many children in the theatre was scared half-way through the movie and several parents were considering leaving. The demon spirits from the darkside, peeling down from the walled masks who quickly went on search for the two frogs created paralyzing fear in the children. The shadow man was an evil character, who needed more of the prince frog's blood in a vial which was strung around the neck of the imposter prince, in order to give the imposter prince more time to enchant and pursue the marriage to young Charlotte, the hieress to a fortune. The evil shadow man was going to kill Charlotte's father with a pin pierced through the heart of a tiny doll made in the image of the rich business owner. The river journey through the bayou was terrifying for the children, however Ray (light bug) did a tremendous job in lightening up the thick and heavy drama at this point in the movie. Another light and humorous episode was the bayou trappers trying to catch the frogs. The voodoo theme was too overpowering, and I would suggest that parents be prepared to answer a lot of questions that I am certain parents were NOT prepared to discuss at this tender age with their young children. I anticipated a very light hearted, entertaining, high-morally based movie through and through....which this is not. It broadly depicts selfishness, greediness, death to those who stand in our way to wealth, deception....values that we certainly do not want to model for our impressionable young children. Parents will need to work hard to underscore positive values, and will be put to task to erase the balant negative character traits presented.
Adult Written byK3 December 12, 2009

I was so excited to take my neice & nephew to see this film. In fact, I also arranged to have a group of girls ages 5-12 (50 girls) attend from my church. After seeing this movie, I was appalled by the consistent impression of voodoo that this movie placed on the viewer. Practically every scene of this movie had an emphasis on this practice. The Villian (often referred to as shadow) tells characters their future, uses tarot cards, and even sanctions demons which come from under the floor (black floating images) to go out and assist with the destruction of the prince. This character is oftentimes seen talking to an image of a scary mask that to us symbolized the devil. For the prince to remain a frog, the other character kept a small voodoo mask that contained the prince's blood around his neck. Without this, he would turn back into himself. With it, he appeared to be the prince. For us, it was ridiculous how strong this content was throughout this movie for children. My 4 year old niece told me that she was scared that the shadow man would take her blood. My 5 year old was scared by the dark images and the music that moved throughout the scene. As devout Christians, I honestly felt that these scenes were very demonic and was saddened by the film due to this. I am not overly sensitive and can take my share of witches, spells, and potions, but this film pushed it way too close to the edge for me and my family. If you teach your children that voodoo, witchcraft, etc. are demonic forces and linked to Satan, then this is NOT the movie for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoverNumber101 November 4, 2011

Get It!!!

This is by far the best Disney Princess Movie ever. Why? 1- Tiana is a hardworking girl who doesn’t need a man to take care of her. She stands up for herself and is far more realistic than other princess. She is also an African American 2- Prince Naveen is just plain funny! He seems spoiled, a bratty but deep down he's a soft heart man who will do anything for Tiana. 3- The plot was amazing. I enjoyed the voo-doo (Honestly didn't see that coming) scene and the bayou songs. 4- It is REALISTIC!! At least a little bit. It takes place in New Orleans (Part of the reason I like it so much is cause I use to live near New Orleans) and they have Mardi Gras and all the jazz (*sigh*) 5- The music. I never was really a big fan of jazz even though my heritage is very Cajun but this movie just made me fall in love with. At least that type of jazz. 6- Its funny! "I suppose you wanna kiss," "Kissing would be nice, yes" That made me laugh my head off. "And we talk too!" I have nothing negative to say about the humor. I even to the "You from Street-port?" with ease. 7- Culture. There is so much culture in this. I grew up living with most of the culture and food they had in the movie so I was happy to have the culture be there. Things I didn't like to much... 1- They make Cajuns look dumb. My dad was like one of the frog hunters when he was younger and he is 100x smarter than them. 2- I know what I'm about to say (write?) really can't be in a Disney movie but at the time it took place (20s) African Americans would have been treated like trash, at least that's what I learned in school (I mean not to offend anyone in what I just said... typed). 3- There are some scene that can and probably will creep little kids out, like the voo-doo. I will admit when I first saw it the ending of "Friends On The Other Side" gave me chills. Overall... Let me just say this: I watched the movie Tuesday with my sister and I am currently listening to The Princess And The Frog soundtrack. It’s also just so sweet and cute!! When I watch it I can't help but smile. Oh and Lottie! She is awesome. She's spoiled, dreams of being a princess but will always (almost) be there for her Tiana. Go Lottie!! I'm finally through. You must be sleeping by now but oh well!! That's how good it is. I could talk about it for hours (just ask my family) ;) .... So.... What are you waiting for? Get it!!
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymcconnell.ma July 22, 2010

Am not going to buy

I couldn't believe the amount of voodoo incorporated into the movie. I wish we hadn't taken our daughters to see it at the theater and we are not buying it. Any good that could have come from the example of Tiana's hard work was over shadowed by the scariness of the witch doctor. Seriously.
Teen, 15 years old Written byImiYoung February 4, 2012

One of the Best Disney Princess Movies

First of all, I would like to say that this movie taught children so much, and that is why I love it. During this period, people had their prejudices, and Tiana's best friend was opposite her race. Also her husband was from Maldonia. Tiana and her father also showed that working hard pays off. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. Also, it was a perfect time to have a movie setting in a realistic place and everyone needs to know how great it is and was then! Now to the "bad", I know remember seeing some characters drinking wine at the party, but that was all. I don't think people should personally attack this movie for the witch-y and voodoo-y things because other movies have also done this. Yes, it may be uncomfortable to see blood in a talisman around Dr. Falicier's neck or watch a bunch of ghost sneak around or hear a bug being squished, but all of that is really not that bad. People bleed, we have fly-swatters, and some believe in ghosts. Those things are not what is important; the love and friendships Tiana gains are what is important.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2010

Family movie

I loved the movie! The bad guy in the movie might be scary to younger kids. But a good family movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 31, 2010

Not as great as "Up", but a step up from "Astro Boy"

I know it isn't fair to compare this movie to Pixar and the company who made Astro Boy, but I'm just comparing them because their animated. To start off my review, I'll say it definitely should of been rated PG because of a scary villain, and some discrimination. The violence level is obviously very low, and so is the language. I have to admit, this movie was disappointing, but it had it's moments. It was nice to see a classic story turn into an animated Disney franchise. I enjoyed the plot, and the ending was very cute. What made this stand out from other movie was the happy ending part. Of course, it did have a happy ending, but the problem was still there 10 minutes before the movie ended. Watch this movie with your kids and enjoy it; it's a special treat for the whole family!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byKJoyce December 12, 2009

Iffy for younger or more sensitive viewers

My husband and I took our 4 and 6 year old daughters to see this. The voodoo theme through out the movie was too intense for them at times but what disturbed me more was that one of the characters dies in the movie. I just didn't think it was something necessary to the plot of the story and one of my girls was almost in tears over it. If your children are sensitive, this movie may not be for them.
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011

PG.

This is the most scary Disney movie to date. I hate the whole "voodoo" theme that you describe as "secondary". It is pretty much the main theme. There's some blood, scary and violent images, a lot more sex than you said, and I'm disappointed. This movie should have been rated PG. That's all I'll say about that. To the parents reading my review:please consider the consequences of showing this to your child. I agree that Tiana is a good role model, but all the terrible things in this film overshadow that.
Educator and Parent of a 6 year old Written bynylamowery March 30, 2010

Questionable diversity

For being the first Black Disney Princess - - she spends 80% of the movie as a frog.
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2009

Too scay!!!

Ok this movie was creepy...and I know I'm 12 but still it had demons and voodoo. Then the Shadow Man gets dragged to hell by the shadows...what kind of mess is that! I went to go see it with my lil sister (she's 7) and she loved it because she didn't know what was going on meanwhile I'm next to her with my hands over my eyes thinking 'IT'S NOT TRUE...THAT CAN'T REALLY HAPPEN!' then people behind me are closeing the little kids eyes and taking them out of the theater because there crying about the Shadow Man getting dragged by demons. WOW!!! But on the good side I like that there's finally a Africian Americian princess, and how Tiona gets her restaurant by determination. I didn't like the fact that the firefly died though but I honestly felt better when he ended up with his girlfriend(I guess). Once again it creeped me out and I'm 12 so I wouldn't take ur child who's very young to go see it.
Parent Written byjocelynaus February 16, 2014

Really close to being great but unnecessarily scary

Firstly I love Tiana, she is a great character, outside the Disney typecast, not just because of her skin colour but also because she has drive and ambition and works hard at her job to earn her own dream, which she does despite becoming a princess that was not her goal. However at the start of the film she has the weight of the world on her, with a depressing backstory and then chooses love over her family and dreams, deciding to live as a frog. Of course it works out being Disney but a over 1 hour 15 in I still was turning to my husband hoping it would work out for her as we were watching with a skittish child. Which brings me to the 2 star review: it's depressing and unnecessarily scary. Yes, almost all disney movies involve scary characters and magic, no issue with their inclusion, but I think the shadow man and his creepy shadows have as much if not More screen time than Tiana. The entire premise is a bit off course too, the extension of the 'frog kisses princess and becomes prince' story to be that if he 'but if he kisses a waitress she becomes a frog' is a bit weird, couldn't a simple nothing have happened? Tiana have taken care of him, found love and overcome it, beauty and the beast style? I was watching with my own (not phased by this or really any film) 5 and 3 year olds and a friends kids the same age who asked to stop about 3 times over ancillary scenes. This film desperately needed levity and about 1/2 as much screen time for the 'bad guy' even his death was drawn out and scary after the only light character was unceremoniously squashed in 20 seconds in the scene before. Urgh, awful film. So sad for Tiana who is a wonderful addition to the Disney princess line.
Adult Written byMom of 2boys December 25, 2011

Disappointed.

The voodoo images and content were very scary for my 2 boys, ages 4 and 6. I can not believe this movie is rated G! I kept thinking the movie would get better, but I was disappointed that so much of the movie highlighted darkness (Voodoo). Now I know most Disney movies have good and evil...but this one left me wanting a lot less evil and a lot more good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 June 13, 2011

Lovely Movie

This movie is a great for kids. It's a cute adaptation of the book The Frog Princess, which I loved. The fact that this movie was set in New Orleans really made an impact on the movie itself. It was a beautiful movie, with beautiful songs that really helped move the story a long. The scene where Dr. Facilier sings about "the other side" could be considered creepy if you were a younger child. My favorite scene most definitely was the Dig A Little Deeper song. Then again, not everyone loves a musical soo... be aware that this movie has lots of theatrical numbers that could be a considered lame by older teens. I loved this movie and you will too:)