Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Princess Bride

Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Adult Written byArbor Mom November 15, 2013

Troubling reference to abuse; warrants discussion with your family!

We like this movie EXCEPT for a troubling line in the middle. The hero, disguised as a pirate in a mask, argues with the heroine about why she gave up on her true love. After her wistful reply, he angrily raises his hand to strike her. She cowers, and he harshly quips, "where I come from there are penalties when a woman lies!" A friend told us he was watching this movie on a bus ride for a school trip, and at this part of the dialogue, a classmate gaped and asked, "What was that??" He replied, "Oh that was just Disney advocating for domestic violence." Ah. Please be sure to discuss this with your kids! Not okay to strike a woman for lying. Or anyone.

Adult Written byshelznh February 25, 2011

Classic movie but not as clean as CSM claims

I love this movie and always have. However I am not sure how Common Sense Media can say that language is not an issue. There are two expletives son of a b---- and, even worse is when the boy utters Jesus' name in a profane way. The torture scene is a little extreme in my opinion. Also there is a tad more than "just kissing" as far as sexy stuff goes including when Wesley refers to Buttercup's "perfect breasts". It is still a classic movie but I must say that I prefer the movie reviews at Plugged In Online as they seem to be much more acurate.

Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written byBug M. April 7, 2017

Classic doesn't hold up to current gender standards

You should know there are some problematic areas about this movie-- it doesn't hold up to 2017s social justice and gender equity standards. It miserably fails Bechdel Test., and after Buttercup finds Westley again, she's nearly useless for the rest of the movie. When Westley is attacked by ROUSes... she just stands there and watches. As another user mentioned, Westley threatens to hit Buttercup when he doesn't believe her to be telling the truth (spoiler, she is). See this review for more info: https://julesdoes.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/jules-does-films-feminism-and... I just watched The Princess Bride with a 10 yo girl. It's been one of my fave movies ever since my high school boyfriend showed it to me six months after telling me 'as you wish' for some other question, so you can imagine I am full of love and nostalgia for this movie and I'm sad that I had to make excuses for the movie. I would still show it again but I would be better prepared. To Twu Wuv!

Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written bycharles l. December 9, 2016

Great for mature young kids!

The princess bride is a family favorite In my house! I have three boy's: 7, 11, and 13,and they all love it. A few parts, such as the torture scene, need to be skipped but other than that this movie is very clean. The very famous one liner: "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" comes from this movie and is followed my Inigo yelling " I want my father back you son of a b****!" and he then stabs the six fingered man in the gut. This scene needs to be skipped or at least muted. OVERALL THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST AND FUNNIEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME AND IS A MUST WATCH FOR ANYONE WHO IS NOT BOTHERED BY SOME VIOLENCE AND KISSING.

Adult Written byNormalMom April 28, 2009

misogynistic and violent

Two things alarmed me about this movie .. on the surface the torture scene was more than I wanted my 6-yr-old to watch. Deeper than that, the movie is misogynistic .. the lead female character is literally just brought along while all the action takes place among the men.

Adult Written bybestiame April 9, 2008

One of my favorites, but it depends on the kid

I have always loved this movie; I can't remember a time when I didn't. When I was a kid, I had a self-imposed tradition of watching it on Christmas Day in the afternoon when I was bored. Recently my stepdaughter (6.75 at the time) was sick in bed and my husband and I decided we'd watch it with her. What a mistake! I hope we didn't ruin it for her forever. I always thought, "what's not to like?" but she's not really used to movies with almost constant fighting, a lot of witty (but often fast-paced and subtle) dialog, and very little overt physical comedy. Most of the jokes went over her head, and she proclaimed it to be "scary" and "boring". The sort of magical parts (Miracle Max, Westley's return) aren't the fantastic and wondrous "Disney-style" magic, either. All in all, a great movie in my opinion, but not really for kids under 8 or 9 unless they have a decent sense of nuance.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

A Classic

I can only name a handful of people I know who did not watch this growing up, this movie is something everyone I know has seen at least once and I have never heard a single argument about this movie. It is a romance movie, it has action, it can be watched by both boys and girls without problems as the movie isn't gendered by society. We all still watch this movie as we've grown out and claim it to be one of the best movies ever, it's charming and quirky.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDanzaJoy February 2, 2014

Highly problematic for preteens and younger

I'm surprised to see the rating of age 8 and no warnings on the editor's pick. This is one of my fav all-time movies but didn't want my kids to see it yet (ages 9, 10). Their are scenes of frequent dismissiveness from the young woman to the young man and yet he falls in love with her anyway. It might be a great example of compassion, or it might send the message that it's okay to be treated with disrespect. The theme of vengeance also figures strongly, which I'm working hard to erase from my children's habits (or at least ideation). And aside from the violence in general, there are the multiple scenes of torture. We ended up seeing it in the waiting room of our pediatric dental clinic. I let it go and then my child started asking, "Are they really hurting him? Why are they doing that? Does that machine really work?" coupled with the agonizing screams heard throughout the forest. This is, at best, a tween movie. However, I would encourage parental supervision and discussion. If the family isn't in the habit of having these conversations with cooperative or thoughtful children, then I'd wait until they were older. And I love this movie!

Adult Written byJEDI micah January 24, 2013

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

What a hilarious and action-packed fairy tale this is! Rarely is there a princess movie that I love! This is a fun family movie to watch!

Adult Written bytanshep August 20, 2011

Princess Bride is awesome but has a torture scene

Such a great movie. Other kids will refer to this movie ("My name is Inigo Montoya ...") but heads up--there is a torture scene. My girls weren't expecting it and freaked out. It looks comical to older kids and adults, but sensitive kids may be disturbed.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Even though I'm the world's biggest prude...

I let my 4 year old watch this movie, because it's my favorite movie in the world. It's not sooo bad...*blush* Ok, yeah, so there's torture, death by poisoning yada yada yada. It's a great movie. And as other reviewers mentioned, it's all pretty cartoony. I agree with the reviewer who said this is on the very mild side of pg. It's certainly not G by any means, but it's much milder than many pg movies, and considering there are still G movies I don't let my kid watch because of violence or drug use, this movie's doing well.
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

I

I remember first watching this when it came out on video. I fell in love instantly. A wonderful story of love! The fights scenes are a little intense, but the witty banter between sword strikes is classic! This movie is just beautiful! =D
Adult Written byMarimbus April 9, 2008

Witty adventure film with a comic twist

This movie is a classic as far as I'm concerned. I loved the book too.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

A classic

A fantastic, warming film. The title presents it as a girly movie, but this is far from it. There is some great swordplay in it. I believe the only curse word in it is when Inigo is avenging his father's death (one of my favourite scenes from the movie, my favourite being when Inigo and the protagonist swordfight). There is blood in this movie; it would have been too much for me at a younger age, but with the things younger kids are exposed to now, it shouldn't be a problem. There are not many words to describe a movie like this. All I can say is simply fantastic.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byStephieMintles June 8, 2019

A great film

I was slightly unsure how my 7 almost 8 year old would handle the ROUS's and the tourture scenes inthis film but with fair warning she was fine. She even laughedat the ROUS so all my worries were for nothing. She loved the film and will watch again.
Adult Written byKnotHauty May 11, 2019

Still my top 3 movies of all time!

The preface of the movie is that it is being read to a child that is about 10 years old. See the begining of The Wonder Years TV Series...I read the 1000+ pg. Princess Bride novel at 9 after watching the movie; and Princess Bride is the only movie better than the book, in my opinion. It's still in my top 3 movies at 43. It reminds me of Space Balls. The content is appropriate for any age because the jokes will only be understood by those with the maturity by which they were intended. I understood far more of the jokes at 9 than I should have and it was hilarious to me then and it is hilarious to my 10-year old now! I honestly don't understand why so many parents have issues with a few very slight curses and nearly bloodless sword fights. Maybe the "torture" scene, which is so funny rather than gory, should be explained to younger kids or skipped... I feel like so many reviewers on here are not giving credit to their child's maturity and intelligence. It varies greatly among kids because of their life experiences . Children deserve to be treated as half adults by 10. Religiousity creates another dimension by which to judge, shelter and control children... Kid's WILL experience things outside of their church/ comfort bubble/ parent shield. That is life! Get them accustomed sooner than later...They have to live in an imperfect world. "Can't"is the worst curse word I know. Can't negates progress, drive and positivity. I'd rather disagree with something in a movie, and to explain it in my own way like I do, than to have my kids say the word can't. Princess Bride teaches the following lessons: Friendship/Teamwork Achieving Short and Long-term Goals Positivity Overcomes Negativity "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Parent of a 9 year old Written byJondondo April 13, 2019
Parent of a 10 year old Written byOurfunnyfam April 1, 2019

As you wish

Everyone should watch this at least once. It’s a timeless classic! Even after all these years new viewers are entertained! A great pick for movie night! The bigger kids will enjoy this one.
Adult Written byahmed aiman 99 March 9, 2019

A timeless tale-as-old-as-time!

32 years since its release, it's safe to say that The Princess Bride is a timeless classic. And the fact that this is the first time I watch it, and I don't feel that it has aged even a little bit is more than a proof of the movie's immortality. But it's not only that it has stood the test of time; it seems that it also remain as subversive as it was back in the eighties. Imagine if Shrek's sarcastic tone and in-jokes didn't come at the expense of the heart of the story, and you would get this movie. (Except that the story is completely different, and it has no ogres, and ....... actually the movies are totally different from each other but you get the idea anyway!) With an awesome mix of swashbuckling, romance, comedy, fantastical elements, and insanely likable iconic character brought to life by a perfect cast, Rob Reiner put a magical spin on a happily-ever-after fairy tale and made it eternally fresh. But what stands out for me is the humor in particular. I was surprised by how the humor works perfectly well from the first second up to the very end of the movie. There is no single joke or gag that fails to land. The movie goes for the laughs relentlessly, and while this is a risk for sure; there are no joke that misses the mark. In fact, I couldn't stop giggling, and even laugh out loud, throughout this entire enjoyable adventure. I think the reason behind the movie's brilliant humor is that on the surface, the movie, of course, looks like an epic fantasy tale that its biggest concern is to show the heroic deeds of the protagonist and the lovely romantic relationship between him and his mistress; while Reiner insists, at any point of the movie no matter how serious it is, to take advantage of his eccentric characters and the fairly weird circumstances they face in an astonishing way leaning on the extremely witty dialogue and the charming cast. Unfortunately, I have some small issues with the movie. First, I think the movie could have been more heartwarming than it is simply by making the dialogue between the grandson and his grandpa half as smart and vivid as that of the fairy tale. The movie is full of heart, though, but largely due to the movie's sincerity and genuineness. Secondly, I guess the movie could have moved more gracefully and fluidly from an act to another, as I felt that the structure was a bit staged. Thirdly, the the third act seems as if it betrayed a certain message, or rather a certain underlying theme that it had been establishing throughout its first two acts. That said, the third act is utterly satisfying, and it proves that The Princess Bride is a very solid film that even its flaws can't be easily noticed or take away anything from watching it. Rob Reiner walks a very thin line between presenting a cute romantic damsel-in-distress story and a parody fairy tale. As a result, The Princess Bride is a good-hearted one-of-a-kind fantasy epic adventure of an enduring value. (8/10)

Adult Written byMatt B. February 11, 2019

Good movie for kids

I have been watching this movie since I was about 6. The blood is a little intense for PG movies today but still not bad.