All member reviews for The Princess Bride

Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Age

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

A Great Movie!

The Princess Bride is a classic fairy tale that every single family should definitely see. There is some violence and one character says 'son of a b-tch' to another, but besides that it is appropriate for all families. Good for kids 9+
Kid, 9 years old September 9, 2013

One of the Greatest Movies on Earth

True love. Miracles. Chases. Escapes. Revenge. Adventure. The Princess Bride is a lot of things. And one of those things is great. Little kids might not handle the stuff that's in the movie. My name is bookiereviewer42.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAsh2o13 July 2, 2013

NAH

ITS NOT THE BEST MOVIE IVE SEEN
Parent of a 5 and 11 year old Written bydpd November 27, 2011

Love the movie but not for young kids

I love "The Princess Bride" but I agree with the other comments about the language issue, particularly the violent, vengeful "s-o-b" uttered by Inigo at the end. That one scene is why I would push the rating to 9+. We watched this when my older son was 9 and it was strong but welcome. He enjoyed it but was sensitive to the violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byedshu33 August 18, 2011

The Princess Bride

Inigo says SOB twice, there's a little bit of violence. The kissing scenes are not raunchy. The drinking references are limited. Some of the good guys have questionable motives, but overall they are all definite heroes. The villains, such as Wally Shawn, are awful role models, but then again, they're not supposed to be good role models, they're villains. Only Christians would be offended at the part where the kid says "Jesus Christ", they don't have the right to inflict their definition of profane on everyone else. This film will open the doors of imagination for young children, and the simplicity of the story makes it easier to comprehend. Also, this film is an excellent production, a classic.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl June 22, 2011

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was FABULOUS!!! The best movie ever created!!!!! I adored it!!! Not only was it hilarious, it had a positive message too! Besides getting revenge. They rated correct- it deserves five stars. My favorite line is, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" And... "Think it'll work?" "It'd take a miracle." "Mawwwwwariage, mawwwwwwagriage is what brings us together today." I loved this movie! It was funny, I laughed (a lot) I cried, it moved me Bob. Ha ha! This movie was epic. Good luck trying to find a better movie than this! My favorite character is WESTLY!!! It's such a good movie!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 21, 2011

Depends on the Kid.

I loved this movie! There are some badish words.
Parent Written bykiltkop June 4, 2011

Classic!

Fun classic everyone should see.
Kid, 9 years old January 29, 2011

good for kids 9 and up

Yeah, I think language should be an issue because Inigo Montoya says "you son of a bi*ch". But overall, the movie was HILARIOUS and good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMacey08 November 18, 2010

Funny and adorable

I love this movie!! Old, but a classic. There is one scary scene with a torture machine and another with a giant rat. But the other violence is alright. This movie has some great lines and is sooo funny! My mum and uncle love to quote bits of this to each other. Nice story of true love and planning...
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byardrummo November 11, 2010

Great, but a little scary

I love it, but a few scenes are too scary for my younger child
Kid, 9 years old June 14, 2015

Advencha=this

This is a incredible swashbuckling adventure, a instant classic. Parents should know that Inigo Montoya is the most inapropriate part of the movie, yet people love him. He repeats " Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." everyday with vengeance for the murder of the six fingered man, Count Rugen. He is violent and says b****, yet for a understandable reason.
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2015

Incredible Classic

This movie is not remotely bad. The stakes are always high, and Wesley, the protagonist, befriends many previous enemies, including Inigo Montoya, who is out for revenge. His father was killed by a man with six fingers on one hand. He practices a phrase every day. Wesley also befriends Fezzick, a giant man who helps Wesley in every way possible. Princess Buttercup is being forced to marry against her will, so Wesley, Inigo, and Fezzick go on a long quest to rescue her from Prince Humperdink, and the six fingered man. There is no swearing, but there is a small amount of drinking.
Kid, 10 years old May 16, 2015

Way too scary

I will say -- I get scared easily by movies. But I think that this movie has too much violence. Bad people put a good man into a torture machine, the princess is planning to commit suicide, a man sticks a knife into another's stomach… This movie gave me nightmares for a while after I saw it. Not a bad movie, unless you're too young when you watch it, and then it's just awful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox April 24, 2015

The Princess Bride

This movie is one of my favorites! Its not to violent and its great! Barely to little sex, a man makes a comment about a princess's breasts (will go over kids heads) the swearing is very mild! Jesus's name is misused once briefly... Son of a b!tch used once. I would say WITH PARENTS a six year old could watch it. Keep in mind its rated PG
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2015

Adult Written bykimballguy January 23, 2015

great!very awesome comedy!

very funny,a family favorite!when times are at there darkest,wesley can lighten everyones spirits. probably my all time favorite comedy. all though there is a lot of blood shed which might gross out little kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNico coolman January 3, 2015

FUNNY AND COOL!!!

This is one of the best movies of all time!!! Cary Elwes is the BEST in this movie. (Other than men in tights) If anything, I would say it's kind of violent. In the Fire Swamp, the princess' dress gets on fire, but it is quickly put out with nobody injured. In the same scene, Wesley (Cary Elwes) is attacked by an ROUS(Rodent of unusual size) and bit twice, by a giant rat, that might seem a little scarey. Once in the arm, and another time in the shoulder. He screams in pain and eventually sets the rat on fire. It moans, and Wesley stabs it three times to put it out of its misery. Wesley and the princess share quite a few, passionate kisses. A bad guy is poisoned, but it is very silly. Lots of talk of torture. One reference to the princess' breasts. Iningo Montoya gets stabbed at least three times. Then he stabs his enemy at least three times and kills him. Two torture scenes in the pit of despair. "Son of a b*tch" is used once. "God" a few times. All of this may sound bad, but it's not. It's also a FANTASTIC MOVIE!!! I hope this review was helpful to you. It has GREAT writing!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan December 13, 2014

The Princess Bride movie review

Many people have told me that "The Princess Bride" was perfect, the best film of all time, and a classic. Did it live up to the hype? For me, it did not. On a technical basis, it could have been improved. One of the biggest problems I had with this film was the pacing. By that I mean how elaborate it was. When Buttercup and Wesley were reunited, we get to see more of their relationship, but that quickly ends and kinds of sabotages the romance which is not good since this is kind of a romance film. The next problem I had with the movie was the consistency of tone. At one point of the movie, it was very kid-friendly, then towards the end, it got bloody. I questioned if I was still watching the same movie and this problem was one of my biggest issues with the movie Hook. I might be coming off as a hater of "The Princess Bride", but I assure you I don't hate this movie. I really enjoyed the comedy, the movie had some solid performances and characters, the movie had a cool story of rescuing and the sword-fights were choreographed really well. I'll give "The Princess Bride" a 6.5/10. I was underwhelmed by this movie and I was hoping to give the movie an 10/10. This kind of thing happens from time to time. I recommend "The Princess Bride" to children mostly.
Parent Written bybebarce December 10, 2014

There are educational values inherent to the movie

Aside of course from the most important of all learned facts from the movie "To never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line!" there is a great deal of value to be learned in the art of reading to ones children, and the effect of being read to. One can learn how conflict, even conflict that has reached acts of physical confrontation, can be resolved by level-headedness, and the fairness, and understanding each others motives. It is this consideration that saves both Inigo Montoya and Fezzik by allowing Westley to rest before a sword fight, or Fezzik to warn him. It is the empathy of Westley then shows them in return, that turns enemies into friends. These are values to live by. These are lessons one should always learn.