All member reviews for The Princess Bride

Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl June 22, 2011

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was FABULOUS!!! The best movie ever created!!!!! I adored it!!! Not only was it hilarious, it had a positive message too! Besides getting revenge. They rated correct- it deserves five stars. My favorite line is, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" And... "Think it'll work?" "It'd take a miracle." "Mawwwwwariage, mawwwwwwagriage is what brings us together today." I loved this movie! It was funny, I laughed (a lot) I cried, it moved me Bob. Ha ha! This movie was epic. Good luck trying to find a better movie than this! My favorite character is WESTLY!!! It's such a good movie!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of my absolute favorites

When I think of my all time favorite movies, this is always near the top of the list. Probably the best script ever written. Most of it will go over young children's heads, but the smart ones will love it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byemmybaldwin January 29, 2011

the rating is correct better for 8+

i love this movie so much!! but the torture scene is definitely something to fast forward through--i don't even like watching it-- and depending on your kid, the shrieking eel and rodents can be scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

A Great Movie!

The Princess Bride is a classic fairy tale that every single family should definitely see. There is some violence and one character says 'son of a b-tch' to another, but besides that it is appropriate for all families. Good for kids 9+
Kid, 10 years old May 16, 2015

Way too scary

I will say -- I get scared easily by movies. But I think that this movie has too much violence. Bad people put a good man into a torture machine, the princess is planning to commit suicide, a man sticks a knife into another's stomach… This movie gave me nightmares for a while after I saw it. Not a bad movie, unless you're too young when you watch it, and then it's just awful.
Teen, 13 years old Written byedshu33 August 18, 2011

The Princess Bride

Inigo says SOB twice, there's a little bit of violence. The kissing scenes are not raunchy. The drinking references are limited. Some of the good guys have questionable motives, but overall they are all definite heroes. The villains, such as Wally Shawn, are awful role models, but then again, they're not supposed to be good role models, they're villains. Only Christians would be offended at the part where the kid says "Jesus Christ", they don't have the right to inflict their definition of profane on everyone else. This film will open the doors of imagination for young children, and the simplicity of the story makes it easier to comprehend. Also, this film is an excellent production, a classic.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byardrummo November 11, 2010

Great, but a little scary

I love it, but a few scenes are too scary for my younger child
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet May 26, 2011

A wonderful movie, which can be watched over and over again

This is one of my favorite books, and the movie was a very good adaptation. I've probably watched it a dozen times. I even watched it with my 6-year-old (after some careful discussions about the story) and we took it in little pieces. She handled it fine, but generally I'd show it to an 8-year-old, not 6. If you like the movie, give the book a try, but hold off until they are 10 or 11. The author's commentary, which is fictional but sounds real, has a lot of stuff about infidelity, unhappy marriages, and disdain for one's own child. None of that is in the movie, though.
Kid, 9 years old January 29, 2011

good for kids 9 and up

Yeah, I think language should be an issue because Inigo Montoya says "you son of a bi*ch". But overall, the movie was HILARIOUS and good.
Parent Written byCWindle September 20, 2014

Very scary for my 7 year old

I have a 7 year old boy and this was very scary for him. Depends not the kid, I suppose. I torture scenes and ROUS (rodents of unusual size) were pretty scary-despite some fast forwarding he came away saying he never wanted to watch it again. I stuck it out to the end thinking he would get some closure, but wish I hadn't. He likes movies like star wars FYI.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byEmmas Dad February 25, 2011

Means well, some iffy content.

The movie uses the name of Jesus in vain (especially offensive since it is a child who says it). The B-word is also used once. A TV guardian may take care of that. One man goes on a drinking binge. There is a torture scene that leaves the main character presumed dead. The movie means well but treats life and death very lightly.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNico coolman January 3, 2015

FUNNY AND COOL!!!

This is one of the best movies of all time!!! Cary Elwes is the BEST in this movie. (Other than men in tights) If anything, I would say it's kind of violent. In the Fire Swamp, the princess' dress gets on fire, but it is quickly put out with nobody injured. In the same scene, Wesley (Cary Elwes) is attacked by an ROUS(Rodent of unusual size) and bit twice, by a giant rat, that might seem a little scarey. Once in the arm, and another time in the shoulder. He screams in pain and eventually sets the rat on fire. It moans, and Wesley stabs it three times to put it out of its misery. Wesley and the princess share quite a few, passionate kisses. A bad guy is poisoned, but it is very silly. Lots of talk of torture. One reference to the princess' breasts. Iningo Montoya gets stabbed at least three times. Then he stabs his enemy at least three times and kills him. Two torture scenes in the pit of despair. "Son of a b*tch" is used once. "God" a few times. All of this may sound bad, but it's not. It's also a FANTASTIC MOVIE!!! I hope this review was helpful to you. It has GREAT writing!!!!!!!
Adult Written byJEDI micah January 24, 2013

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

What a hilarious and action-packed fairy tale this is! Rarely is there a princess movie that I love! This is a fun family movie to watch!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMacey08 November 18, 2010

Funny and adorable

I love this movie!! Old, but a classic. There is one scary scene with a torture machine and another with a giant rat. But the other violence is alright. This movie has some great lines and is sooo funny! My mum and uncle love to quote bits of this to each other. Nice story of true love and planning...
Adult Written byaya770 April 9, 2008

A real classical gem

I first saw this movie when I was about 8 and was slightly traumatized by the eels and rats which were pretty scary. But that was in the 80's maybe not anymore. This is the greatest movie ever so romantic and hilarious I never met anyone who didn't adore it. Really clean- a coupla chaste kisses and one weird comment about breasts. Otherwise absolutely incredible highly recommended. A treasure for grownups and kids alike.
Adult Written bym0nde April 9, 2008

Actually quite boring...

This movie is very over-hyped. I've seen it several times and never understood why it has such a cult-following. If you want to see something in a similar vein but with a much wittier and entertaining plot, take a look at Ella Enchanted.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamCatcher68 April 9, 2008
I saw "Princess Bride" when I was about 12 and I've loved it ever since! This is a great movie, and the happy ending will please everyone. Even my friends and I will still watch it once in a while.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySynchronicity April 9, 2008

No more rhymes now, I mean it. Anybody want a Peanut?

That is what I think is the funniest line in this funny, funny, funny movie. This movie has something for everyone: fantasy, action, humor, and even flowers! (Yes, the protagonist is named after a flower). There is torture but it's not as graphic as it seems, and a lot of swashbuckling action. Also, Inigo says "You killed my father son of a b!tc#" but that's all. Watch this movie and see why fairytales can be funny.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPapa Karis May 15, 2016

I HATED THIS MOVIE.

I truly think this was one of the worst movies ever. I was pretty disappointed because everbody said that this was the BEST movie ever but to me, it was horrible. I mean ,if your bored and you don't know what to watch then watch this but otherwise this was pretty bad. The giant rats freaked me out. But I did not see anything special about.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster December 9, 2015

"No one of consequence...."

The Princess Bride is fantastic. Sword-fighting, magic, adventure, Wizards, a beautiful princess... It's a fairytale adventure at its best! Westly, Buttercup's beloved is killed by pirates, and as she mourns, she is engaged to Prince Humperdink, against her will, but the law requires it. Then... Nothing but adventure follows! There are 2 sword duels, one is quite funny and with no wounds, but the final duel is bloody, violent, and has a character stabbed with a dagger, cut across the face and stabbed about 8 times before he dies. For language, there is one "Son of a b***h" (well deserved), and "My God" is a common phrase by both good and bad men. There is kissing, and a reference to "Perfect breasts" in a humorous joke from Westly. Giant rats attack Westly leaving him with s bloody shoulder, and the rats is engulfed in flames and stabbed 3 times.