Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster December 9, 2015

"No one of consequence...."

The Princess Bride is fantastic. Sword-fighting, magic, adventure, Wizards, a beautiful princess... It's a fairytale adventure at its best! Westly, Buttercup's beloved is killed by pirates, and as she mourns, she is engaged to Prince Humperdink, against her will, but the law requires it. Then... Nothing but adventure follows! There are 2 sword duels, one is quite funny and with no wounds, but the final duel is bloody, violent, and has a character stabbed with a dagger, cut across the face and stabbed about 8 times before he dies. For language, there is one "Son of a b***h" (well deserved), and "My God" is a common phrase by both good and bad men. There is kissing, and a reference to "Perfect breasts" in a humorous joke from Westly. Giant rats attack Westly leaving him with s bloody shoulder, and the rats is engulfed in flames and stabbed 3 times.
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2015

Incredible Classic

This movie is not remotely bad. The stakes are always high, and Wesley, the protagonist, befriends many previous enemies, including Inigo Montoya, who is out for revenge. His father was killed by a man with six fingers on one hand. He practices a phrase every day. Wesley also befriends Fezzick, a giant man who helps Wesley in every way possible. Princess Buttercup is being forced to marry against her will, so Wesley, Inigo, and Fezzick go on a long quest to rescue her from Prince Humperdink, and the six fingered man. There is no swearing, but there is a small amount of drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox April 24, 2015

The Princess Bride

This movie is one of my favorites! Its not to violent and its great! Barely to little sex, a man makes a comment about a princess's breasts (will go over kids heads) the swearing is very mild! Jesus's name is misused once briefly... Son of a b!tch used once. I would say WITH PARENTS a six year old could watch it. Keep in mind its rated PG
Parent Written bybebarce December 10, 2014

There are educational values inherent to the movie

Aside of course from the most important of all learned facts from the movie "To never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line!" there is a great deal of value to be learned in the art of reading to ones children, and the effect of being read to. One can learn how conflict, even conflict that has reached acts of physical confrontation, can be resolved by level-headedness, and the fairness, and understanding each others motives. It is this consideration that saves both Inigo Montoya and Fezzik by allowing Westley to rest before a sword fight, or Fezzik to warn him. It is the empathy of Westley then shows them in return, that turns enemies into friends. These are values to live by. These are lessons one should always learn.
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2014

The torture machine part are traumatizing!

It takes a lot and i mean a lot to get scared but i watched this when i was 9 and am still traumatized. I wish i never watched it. I ended up shredding the dvd.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian February 7, 2014

When Your Kids Ask to Watch This, Say, "As You Wish!"

The movie that can make a parent eager to let his or her kids watch it is rare these days, but The Princess Bride is one. Buttercup and Westley are a great couple, both passionate and pure. The usual fairytale love story also gets a major upgrade because here, their love is tried and tested, not rushed through a kiss and a marriage in one day. Sidekicks Fezzik and Inigo are also well-developed, especially since at first, they seem like the bad guys. Whether or not you see Christian undertones in the story, it's a beautifully told tale with plenty of adventure and romance. Some caveats do prevent me from making a recommendation to older kids. There are a few scary moments, such as the shrieking eels and the Pit of Despair scene. The final swordfight between Inigo and Rugen is quite bloody, and Inigo's quest for revenge is not something you'd want children to emulate. For all but the smallest moviegoers, however, this flick is a true (twoo) pleasure.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamCatcher68 April 9, 2008
I saw "Princess Bride" when I was about 12 and I've loved it ever since! This is a great movie, and the happy ending will please everyone. Even my friends and I will still watch it once in a while.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySynchronicity April 9, 2008

No more rhymes now, I mean it. Anybody want a Peanut?

That is what I think is the funniest line in this funny, funny, funny movie. This movie has something for everyone: fantasy, action, humor, and even flowers! (Yes, the protagonist is named after a flower). There is torture but it's not as graphic as it seems, and a lot of swashbuckling action. Also, Inigo says "You killed my father son of a b!tc#" but that's all. Watch this movie and see why fairytales can be funny.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaustin1423 May 17, 2016

its a fun movie to watch

i enjoyed the movie because it was amazing and yeah
Educator and Parent Written bylinda_s February 7, 2016

Totally not appropriate for under 12

Common Sense Media's review is very misleading. I watched this last night with my 10-year-old son, and there were several inappropriate/ disturbing scenes. First, the torture scenes are awful. Does CMS really think it's OK for kids to watch this type of thing? Second, there is talk of suicide, and third, there is an awful scene at the end where the protagonist describes how he will kill his enemy piece by piece (chopping off his fingers and toes first, gouging out his eyes next, etc. I was so upset with myself for letting my son watch this.
Kid, 9 years old June 14, 2015

Advencha=this

This is a incredible swashbuckling adventure, a instant classic. Parents should know that Inigo Montoya is the most inapropriate part of the movie, yet people love him. He repeats " Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." everyday with vengeance for the murder of the six fingered man, Count Rugen. He is violent and says b****, yet for a understandable reason.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2015
Very entertaining and funny. Quite a lot of kissing, though.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 22, 2014

cool!

This is a good movie! There is one bloody scene. It's intense.
Educator Written bysimpleseth July 20, 2013

As you wish.....

It starts with a young sick boy in his room who has his grandpa visit him, to read him a book. Through his narrative and visuals, we see this wonderful fantasy tale about a princess named Buttercup who falls in love with her brave farm boy and chooses not to marry the arrogant Prince Humperdinck. Along the journey, we are introduced to the legendary Inigo Montoya, who seeks revenge on Count Rugen, the man who murdered his father as a child. The farm boy, Wesley, turns into a swashbuckling hero, but will he rescue Princess Buttercup before it's too late and she marries the sinister Humperdinck?
Adult Written byacubound05 April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnd here we are April 18, 2016

A classic every person should watch

This movie is a classic. Although there is violence, it is not enough for me to even bat an eye at it. I feel that if you do not watch it, it is a missed opportunity, so I would advise you to look into watching it with your whole family.
Adult Written bykimballguy January 23, 2015

great!very awesome comedy!

very funny,a family favorite!when times are at there darkest,wesley can lighten everyones spirits. probably my all time favorite comedy. all though there is a lot of blood shed which might gross out little kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaylee O. November 15, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written byBelisandra August 13, 2014

A good movie, but I wouldn't see it again

This was a pretty good movie. It was REALLY funny at some parts. It was strange because some parts felt to fast and others to slow. The romance was nice, but it was definitely fairytale, Not real. I didn't really feel or see any personality in the characters. buttercup was a damsel in distress who sort was just there to be rescued. Westley had personality and I liked him well enough. the three bad guys, two who weren't really bad we're fun. I didn't really see the point in the prince wanting to kill buttercup, I think it was another part of the damsel in distress thing. But I really did like the movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykgsandd January 12, 2014

Ok for kids if you don't mind pausing to explain things every 5 mins.

We watched this with our 9 year old twins (girl and boy). It was fun but there is so much that needs to be explained and requires context to understand. The kids liked it but found it more strange than funny. Meanwhile the adults were laughing while the kids were confused. After we explained A LOT they got some of it.