All member reviews for The Princess Bride

Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygregguy August 20, 2016

Okay movie, But very overrated

Most kids, especially girls, will want to see this movie. Parents need to know that this movie has a lot of kissing but nothing gets worse than that. There is some violence and small amounts of blood. There are some giant rodent like creatures that may scare young kids. There is not much language. A kid says "Jesus!" as an exclamation, one character says "Son of a Bitch", and one guy says that a woman has perfect breasts. But that's all that could cause concern. In my opinion I would like to say that this movie is very overrated. It's not bad but it's just strange. I guess it's just my type of movie. Or I just expected too much because I have friends and family who rank this as one of the best movies. But all in all it's a fine movie and a good movie for family viewing.
Kid, 12 years old July 18, 2016

Exciting and very enjoyable

This movie is a great, exciting, family film, with only one bad word. A great classic!
Teen, 17 years old Written byimsobored7 May 17, 2016

so good! so good!

um it's pretty good a little violent yeah guys! you guys are great fans. i really like this book. it's really good. so like watch the movie dawgs it's groovy man
Teen, 14 years old Written byMitten2002 March 18, 2016

Hilarious

this movie is epic, there is one scene that creeped me out a little, with a screaming old lady, But the operative word is creeped, not scared. and besides i was only 7
Adult Written byDryad March 13, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke Starkiller March 8, 2016

One of the best.

A must-see!
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 February 22, 2016

Beginning like a typical fairy tale, The Princess Bride quickly side-steps and beats its own trail with a quick twist of evil and amazing subplots.

I knew I wouldn’t get away without mentioning this classic. Seeing this film for the umpteenth time, I couldn’t help but continue to marvel at all the artistic prowess given to make this film. Even the worst aspect of the film, its flat-out fake sets, enhances the sensation of a timeless fairytale. Perhaps it begins like a typical fairy tale about a peasant girl and a marriage, but soon, Rob Reiner’s The Princess Bride quickly side-steps and beats its own trail with a quick twist of evil and amazing subplots. A personal favorite and acclaimed classic, Princess Bride contains many of the most quoted lines ever in the history of film along with memorably choreographed duels and rich characters. Westley (Cary Elwes, an unknown actor who later went on to star in other popular films, a dashing farm boy, falls in love with a peasant girl, Buttercup (Robin Wright). Sadly, a misfortune takes him, leaving Buttercup broken-hearted, even when an arrogant and conceited Prince Humperdinck (Christopher Guest) discovers and chooses her as his bride. However, before the marriage, she is kidnapped by three eccentric, disproportionate pirates: Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), the leader; Fezzik (André the Giant), the clumsy, wisdom-speaking idiot; and Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin), the wisest of the three. Then, like typical fairy tales, it poses the question that can be readily answered with a “no”: is Westley actually dead? He, disguised in black, chases these three desperados to recover his lost love in a perilous hunt. During this exhausting journey to fight back for his love, we observe a good number of passionate kisses (hey, it’s a romance) and hilariously scripted and well-choreographed duels (enough to make you forget of the horrific set pieces), though none are as frightening as the Forest and Westley’s torture scenes as the undertakings are slightly painful and disturbing. But as we receive the assuring company of a grandfather narrating the story to us, it helps soothe the anxiety of the tale. But then again, an unexpected strong obscenity near the end is heard. However, due to its characteristic fairy tale formula, its virtues surely dwarfed the negative as it allowed the clear distinction between good and evil with the respective, evident deeds of each side shining. Still, this already colorful film is sprinkled by colorful subplots, like Inigo’s father and revenge, fitting in perfectly and even aiding the story. Maybe Vizzini’s famous “inconceivable!” may have been blown up by fans into one whole subplot itself already. As one of the few films I own, I rank this among my favorites. As the narrator in the trailer truthfully states, it’s “not just your basic, average, every day, ordinary, one-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairytale.” Whether seeing this for the first or millionth time, with or without a loved one, The Princess Bride definitively lives up to all its “inconceivableness.”
Educator and Parent Written bylinda_s February 7, 2016

Totally not appropriate for under 12

Common Sense Media's review is very misleading. I watched this last night with my 10-year-old son, and there were several inappropriate/ disturbing scenes. First, the torture scenes are awful. Does CMS really think it's OK for kids to watch this type of thing? Second, there is talk of suicide, and third, there is an awful scene at the end where the protagonist describes how he will kill his enemy piece by piece (chopping off his fingers and toes first, gouging out his eyes next, etc. I was so upset with myself for letting my son watch this.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLucan1010 January 2, 2016

Surprisingly entertaining classic does push the boundaries of PG

Violence: Several sword fights, but most are comical and only one leads to death (however that one is not gory but features a surprising amount of blood for PG). Some peril, characters attacked by giant rats (they look like muppet rats, so not very scary). One character dies of poison, and another is nongrapically tortured by a pain machine and appears to be dead for a while, which may upset young viewers. A character talks about committing suicide in one scene but never does it. Language: One use of S.O.B. which is strong for a family movie but still fits in the PG rating. Sex: Romance between two characters, reference to "perfect breasts".
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2014

i watched it but didint finish the movie

there are swords they pretend die they torture the prince and he screams the princess is about to attempt suicide there's kissing
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDanzaJoy February 2, 2014

Has some inappropriate scenes and messages

I'm surprised to see the rating of age 8 and no warnings on the editor's pick. This is one of my fav all-time movies but didn't want my kids to see it yet (ages 9, 10). Their are scenes of frequent dismissiveness from the young woman to the young man and yet he falls in love with her anyway. It might be a great example of compassion, or it might send the message that it's okay to be treated with disrespect. The theme of vengeance also figures strongly, which I'm work hard to erase from my children's habits (or at least ideation). And aside from the violence in general, there are the multiple scenes of torture. We ended up seeing in the waiting room of our pediatric dental clinic. I let it go and then my child started asking, "Are they really hurting him? Why are they doing that? Does that machine really work?" coupled with the agonizing screams heard throughout the forest. This is, at best, a tween movie. However, I would encourage parental supervision and discussion. If the family isn't in the habit of having these conversations with cooperative or thoughtful children, then I'd wait until they were older.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOlivia T A. February 2, 2014

Great Movie! Enjoyable at any age, anytime!

The Princess Bride is one of the best movies ever in my opinion. There is some violence, where one of the main characters, Vassini, dies by poison in a battle of wits against a man in black. The only other time is when the prince plans to kill his bride, but this never follows through. A good movie for everyone, wither it's family night, date night, or sleepover with friends night.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykgsandd January 12, 2014

Ok for kids if you don't mind pausing to explain things every 5 mins.

We watched this with our 9 year old twins (girl and boy). It was fun but there is so much that needs to be explained and requires context to understand. The kids liked it but found it more strange than funny. Meanwhile the adults were laughing while the kids were confused. After we explained A LOT they got some of it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

A classic that never gets old

A romantic, swashbuckling parody of romantic swashbucklers,and one of the funniest movies ever. A dream cast: deadpan Cary Elwes, sweet Robin Wright Penn, mustache twirling Christopher Guest, hissable Chris Sarandon, agile yet inarticulate Mandy Patinkin, wacky Billy Crystal, huggable Andre the Giant and a squawking Wallace Shawn star in this classic fairytale, framed by a lovely story of a grandfather (Peter Falk) reading aloud to his initially skeptical yet increasingly enthralled grandson.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2013

its okay if your mature

I wanted to see this movie and my aunt had it so when I was at her house I watched it alone at first it was great but what kind of scared me was that torture machine and his screaming and the giant animals and fighting my aunt even said if I could take it after a while I stopped watching it
Kid, 11 years old November 11, 2013

If you like fairy tales you'll like this.

There is one torture scene, although it isn't bad. Rarely any blood is seen. Only once you see it and it is in a scene involving some animal. I have only seen this movie once and I was 7 or 8. I liked but it wasn't one of my favorite movies...
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveitornot July 17, 2013

Good or not

I love this movie there is a lot of good facts ad i love it ill will give it out of 9/10 it needs more of the ending
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe July 3, 2013

A fairy tale that will woo the whole family. Wow.

I think this movie will amuse everybody in the family (except for those who are oblivious to media). The action was thrilling, but the thought of a machine that sucks life from someone may startle the wee ones. All I heard for obscene language was "I want my father back, you son-of-a-b*tch!!!!". I used a reference to the famous movie quote "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!!!" in one of my YouTube videos.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAsh2o13 July 2, 2013

NAH

ITS NOT THE BEST MOVIE IVE SEEN
Adult Written bycourtwork June 26, 2013

Quality film - tops

What a treat! I watched this movie with my 10-year-old boy, and we both loved it. The superior quality of this film gave me pause: by comparison, contemporary films are more formulated and sacrifice quality for consumerism, in my opinion. The cast is wonderful, and the script is clever and entertaining. Rob Reiner's talent shines through in every moment and aspect of the film. It is witty, creative, and charming with fun twists and turns. The sword duels are beautifully choreographed. The characters have integrity and tenderness, but they're also tough and intelligent. Even though the movie was made in the late 80's, there is enough action and excitement to keep it engaging even now. There is no reliance on the film tricks of today that deliver jolts per second of one kind or another to keep audiences hooked. We stay hooked by a well crafted tale expertly portrayed by the actors. It was so fun to watch with my little boy, particularly because of Reiner's timing in moving from plot to subplot. During the scary or romantic scenes, just when my son would become nervous or "grossed out," the film switches back to Peter Falk as the grandfather, reading to Fred Savage, then 11 years old, as the grandson. The timing was impeccable - Fred Savage's character was equally nervous about perilous scenes or grossed out by the kissing scenes - so there was an implied kinship between the boys. It was adorable! As for the sexual/romantic content, this is a sweet movie about young true love. I far prefer the lauding of the perfect breasts of "Wesley's" true love than the sexualization and objectification of women's parts that happens in more contemporary media. I confess that I missed the torture scene this time around, but having read previous posts, I asked my son if it was too intense for him, and he said no. I not only applaud Reiner and the cast for this wonderful film, I gladly recommend this film to anyone ages 9 and up. It's a classic.