All member reviews for The Princess Bride

Witty, winsome fairy tale for the whole family.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOdo the hero June 27, 2009

everyone!!!

There's nothing wrong with this movie. Great for the whole family. My favorite movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bymissylynn June 4, 2009

loved it!

good movie
Parent of a 5 year old Written bycarrieann45710 May 25, 2009

Beware of violence, suggestive humor, and a scene involving contemplated suicide--not appropriate for very young viewers.

This is a wonderful movie which incorporates the lost art of chivalry and relatively clean, witty humor. However, there is considerable drama and violence, and I would not yet show this movie to my six-year-old daughter. I am the old-fashioned type, however, who is still flaberghasted to see people bring their 8 year-olds to a PG-13 movie. There are a couple of issues not listed on the main review that are a cause for concern, specifically in the scene when the heroine holds a dagger to her breast and intends to commit suicide--which is an issue for me when it comes to younger viewers. The hero makes the comment, "There is a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours." This has obvious sexual implications. Nontheless, I look forward to sharing this romantic comedy with my daughter--in three or four years.
Adult Written byNormalMom April 28, 2009

misogynistic and violent

Two things alarmed me about this movie .. on the surface the torture scene was more than I wanted my 6-yr-old to watch. Deeper than that, the movie is misogynistic .. the lead female character is literally just brought along while all the action takes place among the men.
Adult Written byLANESISUNG April 5, 2009

Awesome Movie for Kids

kids will love this funny romantic fairytale.
Kid, 10 years old February 18, 2009

To good to describe in words!

I'm really shocked that all the reviews aren't like this GREAT MOVIE YEAH GOOD ACTING YEAH GOOD ACTION YEAH GIANT MAGICAL UNDERSEA TALKING CELL PHONE NO
Teen, 16 years old Written bydancingqueen13 February 15, 2009

BEST MOVIE EVER!!

I love this movie! I can quote the entire thing, and have seen it a million times! it's a funny, witty romance, and lots of fun for anyone 10 and up. the "machine" and ROUS's are pretty scary for younger kids, so don't show it to your 4 year old.
Adult Written byCyclone411 January 16, 2009

It's good and it's not good

I first saw it in college when I had some friends who constantly quoted it and said it was the best movie ever. I enjoyed it but wasn't overwhelmed by it. The scene I loved best and most remembered was the duel of wits between Carey Elwes and Wallace Shawn over which cup had the poison. That is great stuff. I viewed it again this year, considering whether it would be right for my 8 year old daughter. You know what surprises me? The other reviewers either dismiss as "mild" or ignore the torture machine scene. There is no way I am showing that to my daughter. I find it unsettling at my age. Is no one else bothered by the screams as all the life is literally sucked out of Westley? I know we're supposed to go with the deadpan "scientific curiosity" of toruturer, but this scene is really quite horriffic. Also, I have to saw that I don't care for any aspect of the Magic Max scenes - not funny, not even well acted.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Even though I'm the world's biggest prude...

I let my 4 year old watch this movie, because it's my favorite movie in the world. It's not sooo bad...*blush* Ok, yeah, so there's torture, death by poisoning yada yada yada. It's a great movie. And as other reviewers mentioned, it's all pretty cartoony. I agree with the reviewer who said this is on the very mild side of pg. It's certainly not G by any means, but it's much milder than many pg movies, and considering there are still G movies I don't let my kid watch because of violence or drug use, this movie's doing well.

BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

this waz the coolest movie ever. no one can deny it. its the classic love story spoofed.GREAT film!!!! its a little violent. there is a few drunk incidents. GET THIS MOVIE! for people 7-100!!
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

The Best Family Fairy Tale Style Romance Adventure

Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

I

I remember first watching this when it came out on video. I fell in love instantly. A wonderful story of love! The fights scenes are a little intense, but the witty banter between sword strikes is classic! This movie is just beautiful! =D
Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

My favorite fun movie of all time

I love this movie. I saw it when I was in college and fell in love with it. I love that it is a basic good versus evil plot, I love that the characters are complex, I love the lack of foul language, I love the humor. I watched this with my four year old daughter. She was unimpressed. I don't think she got enough of it. We will watch it again (I own it on DVD!) Please, please read the book. You will not regret it!
Adult Written byacubound05 April 9, 2008

Teen, 17 years old Written byhyounhorse April 9, 2008

A classic movie to be remembered!

Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008

Fantastic

This movie is great for the whole family - enough action and adventure for younger children, and plenty of witty dialogue for older viewers.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymiles_for_prez April 9, 2008

Grand Parents

This movie gives grand parents a bad name. They don't always pinch cheeks.
Adult Written bysandia829 April 9, 2008

LOVE

Ok, so I was freaked out by the ROUS when I was like 4... had nightmares... but this is actually one of my favorite movies of all time. Every memebr of my family knows the whole thing by heart and we never tire of it.
Adult Written byaya770 April 9, 2008

A real classical gem

I first saw this movie when I was about 8 and was slightly traumatized by the eels and rats which were pretty scary. But that was in the 80's maybe not anymore. This is the greatest movie ever so romantic and hilarious I never met anyone who didn't adore it. Really clean- a coupla chaste kisses and one weird comment about breasts. Otherwise absolutely incredible highly recommended. A treasure for grownups and kids alike.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythmtrxhsy April 9, 2008

Great movie.

Iteresting movie with a great storyline. Great family movie. Always fun to watch.