All member reviews for The Princess Diaries

Sweet tale about growing up is terrific fun for families.

Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2010

I love this movie and so does my mom. It's HILARIOUS!
Parent of a 15 year old Written byMovie Parent August 17, 2009

This movie did not deserve a G rating. There was too much emphasis on kissing between 15 year olds. My own 15 year old was shocked by the protrayal of french kissing in a G movie. Adults in the movie assume that 15 year old Mia has sex with a boy because of photographs in the paper of her kissing the boy and appearing naked, clutching a towel to herself.
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2009

Girl Power

I love it!! This is a movie that really always leaves you with a good message. Although, I do think this would be better off rated PG, this movie really is pushing the G rating, I think there is a LOT of french kissing and teenage anst/flirting for a G movie. I don't think it's something I'd want a 3 year old to see.
Written byAnonymous January 31, 2013

Kissing is sex too. disney just hides it in G Rated Films.

It's Disney Hiding PG Rated Content inside a G Rated Film. I Gave this 10+ Because of this Kissing in this movie.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byivoryspice January 20, 2012

Commonsensemedia is OFF THE MARK on this one

I think the "on for 6 and above" is way off the mark with this one. There is a lot of kissing and practically fondling between teenagers, bullying and mean-spirited interactions. I have a daughter who is 7 and I stopped it about 30 minutes into it. It is appropriate for an older audience, probably 10 or 11 years old.
Kid, 9 years old August 8, 2009

Good for ages 6 and up.

This movie is awesome except there is a little bit too much mushy kissing and there is a part where people are trying to get a picture of Mia naked.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byDtownmom March 8, 2009

It was OK

It was just OK for me. My 7yo daughters loved it. Parents should know that there is a bit of teen kissing - just enough that you kind of roll your eyes and say, Ok, enough already. I would say it is really more for older kids - just all the things that the main character is going through - are teen things, not little girl things. Also, the movie pays a fair amount of lip service to the idea that it is what's inside that counts, but then spends a lot of time making over the lead actress from ugly duckling to gracefull swan.
Parent Written byBluffette February 10, 2013

More for high school students than young kids.

Features fantasy make-out scenes that are totally out of place, unnecessary and inappropriate. Also features meanness by high school bullies that felt too harsh. Really odd choices for a big budget film that had good actors and should have been much better.
Kid, 7 years old November 18, 2011

Not for young kids

Teenage behaviors include negative role models treating peers poorly including (verbal) bullying throughout the film.
Kid, 10 years old January 25, 2011

Movie for kids books for teens

Great movie! Okay for kids except the kissing.Books are a big no though.The books are for 11-12+
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 6, 2010

It's fun

It's fun, but that's about it. The sex-related thoughts mentioned in the comments are suffice.
Kid, 10 years old January 5, 2010

Surprising rating!

I was surprised to see that this movie was rated G when I finished watching this movie. Actually there was a good amount of kissing which is usually in PG movies. But otherwise this movie was pretty good. I love the whole "Queen of England" theme! Very cool! I would say thought this movie would be best for about 9 year olds and some 8 year olds.
Parent Written bymrtrucka April 20, 2015

Disagree with commonsense media's recommendation

We were fooled by the cute trailer and commonsense media's review. The overall message of the movie is ok, but much of the movie content is iffy and overshadows the concluding positive message. We watched it with our 9 year old daughter and 11 year old son and wish that we hadn't. The high school kids are complete stereotypes, with the "popular" kids being cruel throughout the movie to the unpopular ones (eg an unpopular girl is so nervous about giving a speech she runs from the room to vomit and the means kids laugh hysterically and then make fun of her later about being bulimic). It was also more sexual than we felt comfortable with. Yes, it was just kissing, but with lots of open mouths-not sweet, innocent kisses. At one point a popular mean girl blows a bubble with her bubble gum and the popular mean boy sucks it to pop it. Not what we wanted our kids to see. Also, towards the end, when the unpopular girl finally stands up to the mean popular girl she rubs her ice cream cone all over shirt. To me this communicated to the audience that getting even by being mean back was the way to go. There is not much positive in this movie and we were disappointed by the recommendation.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCali_Dad July 6, 2014

Not for 6 year olds!

The movie begins with kids in high school kissing and is the focus of the teen angst through the movie. Whomever thinks it's great for 6 year old children is out of alignment. I'll let my daughter watch when she's 12, maybe.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE July 15, 2010

Nice movie, but the books are the best.

I haven't seen the movie in quite awhile, but I'm familiar with the books. This is a good movie to see if you don't plan on reading the books, but if you've read the books, you'll probably get upset with the little details. They changed characters like Lars and Boris, who were funny enough already, they removed characters like Tina. The characters Lilly and Michael seem to be more toned down in the movie than in the books. But 'toned down' would be an understatement for Grandmere. Grandmere is totally mean, and was even described as 'scary' in the books. But she's less so in the movie. They also cut a funny side plot from the book about Mia's mom and Mia's algebra teacher being in a relationship. They even killed off Mia's dad. The movie isn't bad at all, don't get me wrong, but you should definitely read the books first if you can.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

A film for Little Princesses

Princess Dairies is a Movie based being true to yourself and how important it is to honor your self. It is a lovely movie though there seems to be a bit more of kissing then there should be in aG-rated movie plus they tried to take a picture of Mia as she was naked but not too much problems. It is a wonderful movie made for all little princesses.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaty0 June 12, 2009

Worth a look

Not a bad movie, but gets a bit too caught up in drama. Nevertheless, there are strong characters and good messages.
Kid, 10 years old May 29, 2015

Alright

My sister made my watch it. Not great movie. However, it is clean and entertaining. Even so, the books which it is based off is the opposite of clean. In fact, probably explicit. To quote one sentence from the book "Lilly, I told you, we're waiting to have s-x". Not so clean after all.
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2015

Funny kid friendly romantic comedy has some kisses

Mia French kisses the boy!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 February 13, 2014

Great sleepover movie! - Classic

I have been watching this movie since 2008 when it came out! I have loved it ever since. I've watched it at a ton of sleepovers, and the series is really cute and will be a really fun chick-flick for girls. Totally appropriate, no sexual content except for a kiss at the end, but it isn't inappropriate or gross like some can be. Overall, great pick, one the kids are sure to love!