All member reviews for The Professional

Stylish, mature hitman thriller is quite violent.

Adult Written byLauraEve August 17, 2011

Review

Violence is current throughout the film. There are scenes near the start of the film where some women are dressed inappropriately, there is also a short shot of two people having sex, although there is no nudity. The 12 year old girl also wears some revealing clothes and tries to seduce the main character who is an adult. It can be quite uncomfortable to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightVamps13 June 27, 2011

Brilliantly done, but know your child.

My parents are very strict about what I watch. I have seen less then a dozen R-rated flicks in my time, much unlike most of my friends, and this one was most definitely worth watching. The violence, while gritty and at times disturbing, is flawlessly done in a way that makes you want to keep watching, while still shocking enough to keep you interested. Most deaths are shown, but you don't normally see the faces of the victims. The only death I found particularly disturbing was that of the four year old. Another factor to point out is Mathilda's urge to kill. She may be 12, but she has no problem shooting a gun out a window, not caring where the bullets end up. Gary Oldman's performance is disturbing and amazing at the same time; he plays the 'bad cop' role perfectly. Teenagers will appreciate the artfulness of the film, such as the lighting (perfect) and camera angles. It's older, but not dated. Many R-rated films these days thrown in more gruesome and explicit violence than is necessary by any means, which this one avoids. A good starter for a teen begging to see an r-rated movie (like me!). Not a hard-r film, but know your child before you let them see it.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2010

Great Entertainment

this movie is awesome. If you like action movies or thrillers, this is a must see. Expect lots of graphic bloody violence and swearing.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 January 30, 2016

Overrated hitman dramedy started off with a bang...

...and then it fizzled out a little for me. I've always heard about "Léon," mostly the performances of Natalie Portman, who people have been both impressed by and creeped out by in this role (I think it was written to do both) and Gary Oldman, who is seriously one of the most over-the-top bonkers villains you could possibly ask for, in the best way possible. The opening sequence of establishing what Léon does was immaculate, and the film just declined and got a little too silly for me after that. Some character's motivations were just strange, and maybe I didn't see the director's cut everyone talks about because some things seemed skipped over. But the movie was so devilishly entertaining, it went by in a flash. Jean Reno was a solid lead, Natalie Portman effectively made me squirm in my seat as the nymph Mathilda, and Gary Oldman was a true blast to watch. Even though it didn't hit all the right notes for me, everyone at least 15 years and up will be able to appreciate "The Professional." EEEEVERRYOOOOOOOONE!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 May 31, 2015

Hitman tale has feelings, good characters, but lacks action.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 June 21, 2013

Amazing movie, but might be to overwhelming for some!

Personally when I was told to see this I didn't want too. Once I got around to it I regretted not watching it earlier. This movie was just flat-out amazing. This was the beginning of Natalie Portman's career and I don't doubt it for a second. Some people however might not like this movie because it does contain some violence that ranges from mild to strong, and it has a shoot out towards the end. Some people will be disturbed by the killing of Matilda's family which may scare some of the younger kids. This movie does contain the F word and other swear's, but not as bad as most R rated movies. There is talk of drugs, and they show a man holding some, but he was not using it. Throughout the movie Matilda and Leon have this sexual tension feel even though nothing happens between them, which may upset some viewers. I feel that a mature 11 year old can handle it.
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2012

Great movie although some issues

I watched this movie alone, and I'm only 12. Honestly I thought this movie was amazing. Language was an issue but I've heard these words, nor do I use them. One other thing that was an issue was how a 12 year old girl was in love with a 40 year old man. That could be found inapproaite or disturbing to some. Overall great movie, and I must give kudos to Natale Portman, Gary Oldman, and Jean Reno who portrayed each character perfectly.
Parent Written byMewmewfancycakes January 29, 2012

Good but violent

This movie was entertaining. Although this movie has some horrible curse words. And this movie is violent I let 13 year old watch this with her older sister. I also found how the little girl was attracted to the man disturbing.
Educator Written byfaincut January 5, 2012

13 and up will really enjoy it!

There is one very disturbing and violent scene in this film, where a man is gunning down an entire family. This might make some children upset. However, the rest of the movie, there is less violence but more suspense. Some children may be embarrassed by the behavior of a child falling in love with an adult, but there are only innuendos and no sexual activity.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygeorges113 November 21, 2009

outstanding mature story one of those movies that u'll never forget once watched

WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IIIIIIIITTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ||| NOW FOR PARENTS ||| Violence: too violent and disturbing Sexuality: a 12 year old girl proposes sex to a man and talks about virginity and sexuality, but the man refuses every time she does ask and shows care and respect considering her age and case. character plays with his wife's breasts and they have clothed sex, interrupted by their 2 girls, but it's not visible. drinking : the little girl drinks lots of champaign in one scene and starts laughing in a hysterical way. the little girl smokes there's lots of sacs of drugs but they're not used Cursing: out of anger generally, and the little girl swears a lot and is thought not to swear or smoke The little girl also sings a song with lyrics" ....like a virgin touched for the first time..." ||| These was for parents to read NOW FOR THE MOVIE, THE GREATEST MOVIE I'VE EVER EVER EVER WATCHED... IT MAKES U THINK ABOUT IT FOR DAYS... PERFECT ACTING PERFECT STORY SCENARIO PERFECT EVERYTHING...
Adult Written byXeeraH September 12, 2009

The unusual suspects ^_^

Here's a story bout a teenage girl name Mathilda, whose 'family' was killed, including her only real brother who's only four years old. Her plan: take revenge on those who killed her brother. Coincidentally she meets with a hitman who teaches her his trade. Mathilda is this feisty 12 yr old girl (kudos to Natalie Portman) who means business if she wants to do something. Just like going all alone to track down Stansfield. Firing bullets out the window, playing russian roulette. However her character doesn't lose the '12 yr old' self, only thing she's mature for her age. Leon (kudos to Jean Reno) is this professional next door hitman with a goofy side that you won't expect. He doesn't talk much, only when needed. The most coolest, calm hitman who shows himself through actions. You don't see him get angry even when Mathilda does immature stuff. It's surprising that Mathilda curses more than Leon. In fact, I didn't hear Leon cursed even once in the film. Lol. They share an unusual love relationship between each other. Much like first love between a boy and girl, so innocent. it's not as if she wants to seduce him, he is all she has. The scene when he has to let her go was painful, terribly... cried at that scene. Violence is a lot, intense when Mathilda's family was killed. You don't see lots of blood splattering actually, just holes on the clothing. occassional trail of blood. Leon's stitching of his wound was ouchie. There's drinking between mobsters and some drug uses. Lots of $#%#$^#. If you don't mind it then watch em. Overall I would say that I REALLY enjoyed this movie a lot! It is a good movie by Luc Besson just like Fifth Element. An accidental find but instant love. I loved how the movie revolves around Leon and Mathilda. At some scenes it was serious, then it became funny or sad and they were all memorable. The emotions these characters brought out were strong that it connects the viewers. It's a must watch you'll enjoy these unusual suspects :)
Adult Written byMovie Man August 17, 2009

Superb, Stylish, Violent Hit Man Story.

This is a very good but very disturbing hit man drama/thriller. A family is graphically slaughtered (including a four-year-old boy), a very young girl is attracted and tries to seduce a much older man, and the villains *SPOILERS:* happen to be police officers *SPOILERS END.* The violence is pretty rough and a young girl is in serious, protracted (prolonged, or very long lasting) danger. There are senseless killings and the murder and abuse of children, so if you don't like that, I wouldn't reccommend this film. Otherwise, please enjoy!