All member reviews for The Purge

Home invasion movie has intense ideas, strong violence.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek June 6, 2013

Thought-Provoking, violent film deals with intense ideas.

Parents, this mind-blowing horror-drama hybrid from the director of Sinister is probably on your teen's radar. Just know, most of the mature content will be fine for age 15+. The year is 2022, and there is a 12-hour period where all crime is legal, including murder. One family must decide to kill an innocent man to save themselves, or face the deadly consequences that will follow. I personally enjoyed this movie very well. It's one of my favorite movies now. There is some pill popping, swearing and violence. Violence includes surveillance footage of acts of brutal violence and murder, a stabbing, punching, kicking, slapping, brief torture, and bloody attacks, but it is mostly the disturbing images that are the most mature. Images of bloody handprints, sliced body parts, bloody fingers, dead bodies, and the storyline is built on thematic violence. Kids use medical prescribed drugs, Language includes infrequent use of f--k and s--t, used in derogatory terms. Also includes a middle finger gesture. I would rate this movie PG-13 For Thematic Violence Involving Some Disturbing Images, Brief Strong Language, & Drug Use, and that most mature teens can handle.
Parent Written byKarenDenny June 7, 2013

Creepy, but Nothing New

This movie is suitable for almost any teen. What parents should know is that there are sequences of extreme peril. Violence is strong in the opening scene, but only shown through security footage at a distance. Although a classic cat-and-mouse theme, The Purge brings a creepier element into the movie. Plenty of scenes might make audience members jump or squeal. Violence is a common factor in any thriller, nothing new or over the top. Teens should be okay for this movie.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byEleanorWilde June 7, 2013

Appropriate for 14+

I saw this movie just a few hours ago and absolutely loved it! I'm a fan of horror films but this is more of a thriller. I definitely think a mature 14 or maybe even 13 year old could see this movie. Both of my daughters loved this film and my youngest is 14. Yes, viewer discretion is advised, but if your child is mature and doesn't get too easily grossed out, they should be more than fine.
Parent Written byTaniaL January 18, 2014

Good, not great, worth watching in my opinion, but only once!

I was really afraid that this movie would be too disturbing and I would have to shut it off. (This was after seeing the very beginning news footages of a purge day) but after that, the movie toned down and takes place solely in the home of these people trying to stay alive.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynv2pa October 20, 2013

CRAZYYYYYYY!!

I saw this movie with my aunt just over the summer and I LOVED IT!!!!!! Yes it has some violence but if your a parent and thing your kid can handle it, then let them watch it! If you feel the need to tell them to leave during it, then you can, but as a 13 year old, I say 10 and up is the PERFECT age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShnep007 August 12, 2013

HILARIOUSLY STUPID!

I'm a wimp with horror movies (I was scared of "The Sixth Sense [1999]") but this movie was very predictable. Director James DeMonaco hasn't made many other movies and I respect his attempt at a horror movie. When making a horror film, it's probably hard to make it scary because as the director you know what's going to happen so you have to overestimate the suspense. He overestimated the suspense a little too much because I knew when a murderer was going to appear (and I bet everyone else in the theater did too). The murderers didn't even appear with surprise, they just put them into focus. To make it more suspensful, the lights in the house were off the whole movie for absolutely no reason. Wouldn't the family want to have them on to help them find a murderer. I bet this is just because DeMonaco ran out of suspense strategies. Seriously, all they had were flashlights. A thriller is also meant to have plot twists and James DeMonaco also tried to add a plot twist [SPOILER ALERT AHEAD] that their neighbor that has an appearance in the beginning turns against them when she says she's saving them form the murderers but is actually there to kill them. I knew by her facial expressions in the beginning that she would do this. It was a very cheesy movie with people always mentioning constitutional stuff and saying how they are proud to be an American because of the purge (blah, blah, blah). The only upsides to the movie are the cinematography and the acting. In case you don't know, here's a brief summary: in the year 2022 or something like that, an American law exists that gives people a whole night once a year to commit any crime they can think of (murder, robbery, etc.). this law is known as the purge, which means release. The purge has helped America reduce unenployent to 1% and people letting out their agression they keep inside, but of course there are negative points to it, too. As you can tell, this story would've worked much better as a political drama. On one purge, the youngest son in a family of four lets a man who was asking for help into their house without permission. This leads to the murderers with smiley masks who were after the man knocking on their door and asking for him back in a certain amount of time or else they will break into the house. They eventually do as the famliy struggles to do what's good and this leads to unexpected consequences. Not really that unexpected actually. This movie contains some positive messages about how wrong a law such as the purge can be and people coming to realization about that, but it's still a really dark movie; I don't how people have a big problem with the violence in the movie but their is a stabbing, camera footage of murders and beatings, some shootings with blood, a woman gets slammed into a table and gets a bloody nose, and a man is tied in duct tape and they stick a knife in his wound; Two teens embrace on top of each other and make out, the girl unbuttons a bit, but they stop before it goes wrong; One or two uses of "f--k" and a middle finger; Adults drink wine as part of their dinner meal.
Parent Written byMr.Scheawrsz June 21, 2013

NOT FOR KIDDDDDSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NOT FOR KIIIIDDSSS TOOO MUCH SEX,VIOLENCE AND LAAAUNNGAGGGEEE
Educator Written byA_cheese September 26, 2013

The Purge

This was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on the story and not the graphics. Movie is supposed to be judge by its content not the cover anyway.
Kid, 10 years old March 16, 2014

Pretty scary but in a good way!

I think the movie is very scary, probably one of the top five scariest I’ve seen but in a good way. There is no nudity, some violence but could have been worse because they don’t show much up close. It’s a great scary movie because it makes you feel very nervous. I think you should be at least about 9 years old, or at least old enough not to have a lot of night mares.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLillliiiaaannn November 11, 2013

Don't Even Bother!

This movie is HORRIBLE! Don't even bother watching it! Of course the previews look GREAT, but the movie itself isn't that good. The violence isn't into detail and there is some language but it doesn't matter because the movie is bad. I just saved you ten dollars!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 November 9, 2013

Not good, and cliche movie.....

Bad movie especially if you are calling it a horror film. The issue is the bad acting, weak plot, and ridiculous all around. This movie features violence including a few stabbings but more of gunshots, and it isn't really that strong or graphic. To some kids this movie would come off as intense, but to a lot I think it wouldn't be to a lot of people. Some language was used, and it contained a few uses of F*** and S***, but it is pretty mild R with language and violence. There is no sex or nudity in this except for some kissing. This movie had violence within and is the main reason for the R, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Suggested for mature 10, but don't bother it wasn't even that good.
Adult Written bywonder dove August 12, 2013

Frightening.

I thought The Purge was a pretty good film. Very disturbing and frightening, especially if there really was a 12-hour purge in any country each year, how terrifying! The surveillance video before the actual purge takes place makes it very clear and feels real. I think we have enough violence going on as it is. This was scary because it was realistic and the acting was amazing. It's definitely up there on the horror charts for me. Ethan Hawk is awesome! Violence is very strong with gunshots, knives and stabbings, attacks and injuries, a woman's face is smashed into a table, deaths including a teen, an innocent man is tortured and tied to a chair, some attackers are in masks. Language is strong but not frequent from everything to the famous f-word to sh*t, b*tch, pen*s and more. Sexual content has a couple scenes of teens making out. Two of the female masked attackers kiss at one point with their masks on (like teasing). Overall, pretty good home-invasion type of story worth seeing! Gutsy 16+ viewers recommended.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson June 7, 2013

Disturbing

Great but disturbing
Teen, 14 years old Written byPeythepenguin June 21, 2013

Good, but some iffy stuff

Pretty good, but a little forgettable. Language isn't too bad, a couple -f words and -s words, but not constant. Violence is what gives the movie its R rating. The worst is when a character sticks a letter opener in a bullet wound(so gross), other than that just shooting, stabbing, also an assault with a pool ball, and many failed attempts to hack, shoot, stab, and beat. The opening of the movie is violent survalence videos from previous purges. Also some "petting" and brief making out between teens.
Kid, 2 years old December 15, 2013

not for kids

not for kids !!!!!!!!!!! too much sex ,violence, and drugs. not good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDog Bone November 2, 2013

Good

Violence is bad for an R movie but is still above PG-13. A fair amount of language. Good storyline and fairly good acting. Gets more like a slasher near the end.
Teen, 17 years old Written byarandomperson August 15, 2013

Violence well used

Really about a 4.5 in my opinion. Some people think the message is drowned out by the violence, but i am fairly psychology-oriented and loved it. Closed my eyes sometimes, but still great. I hate horror movies if you want to know.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymattguy15 June 21, 2013

the purge

some language nothing over the top and some violence shootings killing stabbings and fighting .
Written byAnonymous June 9, 2013

Good movie but does have a few flaws

7.5/10 SOME SPOILERS. I watched this movie praying it wasn't as bad as the reviews said. It turned out it wasn't. This movie has a lot of violence. The goriest scene was at the end went Grace tried to get the gun of Mary but Mary pulls the gun off her, hits her with the rifle butt and slams her face on the table. Very bloody scene. Quite a few jump scenes. Language is quite harsh motherf***er is used once quite a few f**ks and f**kings. A few uses of swine and homeless swine and one hand gesture. Actors are all good Rhys Wakefield was really good. Henry and Zoe kiss a lot. Bloody wounds and blood splatter are frequent. The problem with the movie is that when the masked people get into the house there's only like 20 minutes of action. They should've added about 10-15 minutes more of violence. For the concept and ideas it could have been made a bit better. Overall it was a good film the with good action and violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life September 28, 2014

My Review on "The Purge"!

Parents, you should know that this "Purge" is way tamer than the second. This one is kind of like a hard PG13. The last 20 minutes have some blood and violence, but thats about it. There is about 3 uses of f--k, 6 uses of s--t, and a handful of uses of hell and damn. Language isn't much of a problem as you can see. The first 60 minutes may bore some people, as its just the people in the masks threatening the family, and the family looking for the man. In the first 20 minutes, a girls boyfriend is shot (very brief, some blood is shown, not graphic at all though). A man briefly presses on a mans wound, its pretty disgusting, but brief. The boy helped the man, and towards the end the man helps the family. 13+, 4/5 stars. My MPAA Rating: PG13 - For Intense Sequences of Violence, Terror, Menace, Bloody Images, and Brief Strong Language