All member reviews for The Pursuit of Happyness

Teen, 13 years old Written byboredgrl November 13, 2009

Very moving, and extremely sad until the end

This movie really made me cry! It was very touching and movie, with some mild profanity. It also teaches people a lesson on how fortunate they really are, and you should appreciate what you have.
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2009

Based on a True Story

It is good and Will Smith is a great actor! So is his son.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymegan094eva June 27, 2009

Kept me reaching for the tissues...

I love this film, it is really good but really sad. There is one use of f***, and a couple of uses of other language that your average parent would not want their child using but it is still really good.
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid August 15, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 April 20, 2010

This should be pg
Teen, 13 years old Written byJewel♥ July 8, 2009

This movie makes me cry. I love it! It shows that anything is possible if you put you're mind into it and work hard.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySkullie June 29, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I enjoyed this movie. It followed the true hard story of a real man. I also liked how Will Smith was cased as the role. They need to make more movies like this in my opion, it grabbes me in and takes me for a ride in my own home.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2009

Best Movie Ever, even for 12 year olds.

Ok. There is a little bad language, but this is an amazing movie that portrays life at it's low. The characters in this movie struggle to survive, but they perservere. This is probably the best movie I've ever seen; and I'm only 12!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 31, 2012

Emotionally devastating and heart wrenching drama is also very uplifting.

The Pursuit of Happiness is a film that, despite having the word happiness in the title, stirs up an immediate and intense amount of sadness in it's viewer, and, of course, myself included. Will Smith gives a powerful and riveting performance as Chris Gardner, the real life millionaire, who, in 1981, has his life infiltrated by a huge loss of money and income, misfortune and depression. His self-built business of homemade Bone Density Scanners, which he attempts to sell to hospitals, clinics and paying doctors, has run out, and he is no longer making any sort of income from it. And, worse yet, his exasperated girlfriend (Thandie Newton) has decided to finally leave him, and to leave there apartment in Las Angeles to pursue a better job in New York City, but, it is Chris who decides to stay with his young son (Jayden Smith). But, once he loses his apartment, he must find a way to sustain a life for him and his son, even if it means ending up on the street. Now, The Pursuit of Happiness wouldn't be anything if it didn't have it's well-written, smart and original script, and, of course, the absolutely beautiful and first-rate performances from it's main cast, with Will Smith and his young son (who was only 8 years old at the time) Jayden, who manage to bring even the stoniest hearted people into a deep blue mess of sadness and hopelessness, but, when the time comes, the film evokes great happiness, indeed, thus borrowing from the title of the film, and that there is indeed happiness for these two, after all. Now, despite the fact that this movie is Rated PG-13, it is fairly tame: There is mainly just the overall mature subject matter, such as the homelessness and hopelessness of one man and his very young son, which can be hard for most audiences to watch, at certain parts, because of the fact that it is so sad and depressing. And, finally, there is infrequent but strong profanity, including about 2 uses of F--k, but also other uses of sh-t, g-dd-mn, h-ll, a-- and d-mn. So, Pursuit of Happiness is a rightfully applauded and critically well-received film which deserved it's collosal box office success, and I still enjoy watching it all of these 5 and a half years later.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMehFooL March 31, 2012

Get off the computer, and go rent this movie!

Seriously? What's up with the movie review? Don't even pay attention to it- just go out and watch this movie! It's A MUST WATCH. It's a heart touching story about a dad and his son, and through many hardships and difficulties, their strong hope and persistence paid off as they became successful. Any mature kid will love this movie, as I have. It really teaches you a lesson and makes you understand how lucky you are. The story, acting and pretty much everything is beautiful! Anything inappropriate is in the background and isn't focused on, I haven't come across one single thing that's bad. The language is few and only used to convey emotion.
Kid, 11 years old February 13, 2012

This is a really good movie and I nearly cried. Will and Jaden Smith do an amazing job and shows the typical life of a struggling family. This movie deserves a good rating. AMAZING!!!!
Kid, 10 years old August 26, 2011

Sad. Just sad...

I watched this at 8 years old, I understood the story and I cried.
Kid, 8 years old January 1, 2011

very inspiring and sometimmes sad
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2010

I bet they gave this movie twelve and up 'cause of the great messages. I personally think its not too bad since the grafitti only says 'fuc-' and you can only see some of the K. When the little kid says the F-word, you can't really understand it. Some kids may find living homeless disturbing, but my six year old sister watched this and she was fine with it (she just had a hard time understanding the story... but what the heck, she's six!). Very good movie, I reccomend it!
Kid, 12 years old February 14, 2010

It Was Okay.

This was definitely a tear jerker for emotional people. It was pretty pointless with the f word on the wall. The sad thing is is that the movie is based on a true story. It was okay. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2009

Good movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymiddleschoolman June 29, 2009

It shows that if you try you will overcome your jouney but the thin is that it is a sad movie with lots of pressure it shows life in a bad way also
Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery June 25, 2009

I love Will Smith.

It's a good movie. Sad, uplifting, but not true to life. It may be based on a true story, but it isn't close to what really happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydrummerkid94 June 22, 2009