All member reviews for The Red Balloon

Imaginative story told entirely through vivid visuals.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byBob the Parent March 26, 2011

Perfect for any kid old enough to understand it.

I don't see why this is rated 7+??? Other than some older kids chasing him (doesn't that happen on every playground in the world at all ages??) there's nothing even remotely scary or anything else about this movie. Even a 2 or 3 year old would probably just like watching the balloon. A true classic.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymannymateo10isback December 26, 2010

this is the best short film! the kid is always having a good time with his balloon, and then the gang took the balloon away (that was a sad part), well i love watching this all i want, and i recommend that this is for all ages only
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bySStarr May 23, 2014

Gentle, sweet movie with devastating ending

If you have sensitive kids, this is not the movie for you. It is a gentle story about a boy and his balloon, beautifully photographed -- until the end when the balloon gets deliberately destroyed by bullies. Yes, a host of other balloons come, but the special balloon is gone forever. My five-year-old said afterwards, "Mom, you PROMISED that kids' movies have happy endings!" Yeah.... sorry, kid.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byrachelernst.com August 28, 2012

So glad I watched this! A real STORY.

Perfect. Real storytelling. Visually appealing. Real live action without editing tricks. Captivating. Good message, in the end. The complexity of the messages might be best for age 4+, but compared to just about every other movie I've seen for kids, this movie is relatively angelic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMiscreant March 18, 2012

I Will Respect Your Ratings No Longer

I am a 15-year-old boy, and I will respect your ratings no longer. How can you give this a 7+? This film should be 2+! What in the world is there to object to at all?
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymarceladns March 4, 2011

Beautifully made and told

I'm a foreign film fan myself, I could not wait to show my kids this movie, it was a hit, my daughter was fascinated, it's such a simple but sweet film. You must watch!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bycaitlinvs February 21, 2011

Classic movie that's good for all ages

This is a beautiful movie with virtually no dialogue (the dialogue there is is in French; it has subtitles), about the relationship between a seemingly sentient balloon & a young boy. Our son began watching this movie before he was two & still loves it, as I did as a child. There are a few scary moments (other boys chasing the boy & his balloon, trying to pop it & then succeeding) but it's really one of the sweetest kids' movies ever made.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

BORING

this short film is boring and pointless and slow!!!!!
Adult Written bynecole523 April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS MOVIE

WHEN I WAS 5 I WANTED TO WATCH THIS MOVIE EVERYDAY MY MOM WOULD PUT IT ON FOR ME. NOW I'M 30 AND I WANT MY KIDS TO WATCH IT WITH ME.
Adult Written byflaivarosa April 9, 2008