All member reviews for The Ring

This movie is very, very scary.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybookkeeper October 29, 2009

Scary scary scary *spoilers*

I haven't seen many horror movies, but this one was freaky. I can't think of any family appropriate words for how scared I was after watching this last Halloween. I had to sneak into my sister's room for the next two nights and listen to audiobooks to get any sleep at all. The Ring, though it has many somewhat gory and very disturbing images, has less of a horror feeling than an overall creepy feeling of impending doom. So, for those who are curious, I will try to name all the scary parts that I remember, so you can be on the lookout. If you don't want to know, don't read them. The beginning was scary; the one girl tells her friend and the audience about the tape, and then reveals that she watched it- 7 days ago. As the clock strikes 10, when she watched it the week before, things start happening (I don't actually remember the specifics). Either way, it's all very creepy and ominous- the TV turns on and off and on, static fizzing from the living room (I was afraid of static-y TVs for weeks, by the way). She opens the door to her room, and screams, and that's the end of her. You don't see what happened to her until the reception for her funeral, which our protagonist attends- the girl was her niece. They talk about her roommate (or was it her mother..?) finding her in the closet and BAM! Before you can blink, a quick flash of the girl, crouched in a closet and grotesquely distorted. The movie continues in similar ways- a man commits suicide in front of Rachel by electrocuting himself in his bathtub, a horse drowns and is chopped to bits by the propellers of a boat, Rachel pulls a long wire covered in black hair out from her throat. The tape itself is the creepiest thing I've ever seen. Simple shots of clues to the mystery of Samara, the ring girl. The climax is scary, but I'm not quite sure, as I was hiding behind a pillow the whole time. But the action- and gore- doesn't stop there because PLOT TWIST! And when Rachel is about to spin the chair around to see what's his face's face, don't look. I'm so glad I didn't- my friend still shudders to think of it. But, by this time, you are tired of plot twists, and just want it all to end. So, in conclusion: Scariest movie I've seen, disturbing images, and just a bit too long. Rachel is a good role model, who wants to save not only herself and her son, but everyone else who may ever watch the tape in the future.
Teen, 15 years old Written byindiemusiclover27 June 8, 2011

This movie is not "very, very scary".

I think the original review of this movie given by Common Sense Media is too critical. The Ring is not scary; some people may find the cursed tape and the Morgan family to be creepy. Otherwise, this movie is more interesting than scary; mind you, this was my first scary movie experince. Also, there is not any sex in this movie; the closest you'll probably even get to sexual themes is in one scene where Rachel (the protagonist) is in her bra and underwear in her house looking for a dress. Language is not much of a problem either; the only drinking/drug reference is at the beginning where Rachel was telling some girls about how sometimes her and her friends would get high in Rachel's room during their teen years. In a nutshell, this movie is not as bad as Common Sense Media makes it seem.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE March 10, 2010

More proof that j-horror re-makes are epic fails.

I didn't know I had this movie until I found it one day buried under all sorts of junk. I've seen Ringu, the movie on which this was based, and it's a lot better. I'm not frightened by Samara-- and this is coming from a girl who is afraid of TRAINS, for crying out loud-- and I just feel bad for her. The only scene that scared me was the suicide scene, and I was pretty creeped out by the poor horses falling off the boat. I would suggest seeing the Japanese version of this movie as it is a lot better (if you're looking for a scare) but if you have young and/or sensitive children and they just HAVE to watch this movie, please at least cover their eyes during the scenes I mentioned.
Kid, 11 years old April 10, 2011

My favorite movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a great movie overall. There were "jump" moments, but I just don't get scared by movies. Wonderful.
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2010
ummm my mom is very VERY strict and she agreed to watch this even though she was very scared to. I did NOT jump once!!!!! i was not scared once!!!!! nothing happened till the end and THAT was NOT even scary!!!! btw i am new to horror movies!!!
Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2011

This is the best movie ever! I am like OBSESSED with this movie, Samara is awesome! This is my favorite movie of ALL time!!!! I don't think it's scary anymore. I must admit, the first time I saw it- it scared the life out of me. No joke. It wasn't scary the second time. But BEWARE: Violence is no concern, Scariness and Disturbing Images IS A HUGE CONCERN. But after a second time it didn't scare me. SUPER GOOD MOVIE. Only good if you know enough about it. I did my research- LOL told you I'm obsessed. As for language: It has "pr*ck", "p*ssed", "b*tch", one use of *f*ckin", several uses of "sh*t", "d*mn", "d*mmit", the "Don't Watch This" has a use of "f*ck", the movie has LOTS of language, but the only constantly used word is "sh*t". I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH. As for sexual content: Rachel is once in a small bra and underwear, she has a wet T in one scene that you can see through, Katy answered yes when Becca asked her if her and her boyfriend "did anything". This movie is terrifying, disturbing, yet amazing. It scared me so bad the first time I had to go to the bathroom with my sister in the room with me, I slept with all the lights turned on for weeks, seven days after I saw the movie I was up until 5:00 AM, I wouldn't go near a TV for a week, I had horrible nightmares for months, to be honest, I am STILL scared of that movie, several times during the first time watching it I had to cover my eyes because it was too scary, I could barely watch the Noah death scene, yet I got over most of my fear. I love that movie, though writing this review is making me tremble. But watching the movie itself doesn't scare me anymore, it's Samara that scares me the most, but she's awesome!
Adult Written byMostlysane April 6, 2013

My favorite horror movie.

This is my FAVORITE horror movie!! It only has 2 (maybe 3-4) really jumpy-scary parts. Everything else is just creepy and very suspenseful. There's an element of mystery to it which I enjoyed. I don't recall any swearing although there may have been. The only "sexual" scene is when Rachel (the mother) is putting her clothes on however she never has less than underwear on. LOVED IT!!
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

for teens

i watched it when i was 5 years old and it was not that scary probably the scariest part is when she comes out the tv
Written byAnonymous August 7, 2012

Nightmarish and gruesome - fun for some, traumatic for others.

I am a huge horror movie fan - I love all horror from psycho slashers to supernatural hauntings, bizarre body horror to psychological thrillers. The Ring is a pretty solid example of a "scary movie" - a mysterious plot with some VERY creepy scenes, and still good after repeated viewings. I am impressed how well this film has aged, considering that the technologies involved in the mystery are land-line telephones and VHS tapes. I know kids who haven't ever seen either of those things in person before. The Ring has some effective scares, including sudden shocks. Some of the imagery is gruesome, unsettling, and nightmarish, and has a way of sticking in your mind. You can't un-see it. It's a particular kind of scare which is harmless and even delightful for some, and traumatic for others. I have personally seen young teens giggling and cheering their way through the entire movie, and I have seen grown adults tremble & then complain of terrible nightmares later - thankfully the nightmares usually wear off after 7 days have passed. Watch it yourself and decide in which category you & your kids might be. As for other concerns, there's really nothing here to worry about on the sexuality, language, partying, or drugs level. A few references here or there, but nothing children haven't already heard and talked about by the time they're in 4th grade. But DO be aware that the movie's lead child character is a lonely little boy whose parents have split up and who is essentially raising himself as a latchkey kid. His mother is very busy all the time, and his father is physically and emotionally absent. If these are issues in your family history, be prepared for a few uncomfortable moments.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 24, 2011

oh my god

oh my god this movie is SCARY!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byMattyWatty556 April 9, 2008

The film RING is one of the scariest movies of our generation. Don't even THINK of watching this with a child below the age of 12. DO NOT. You can unless you love screams of "HELP DADDY, SHE'S TRYINGTO GET ME" every night then fine. Its okay as a film, kinda cheesy, but scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygeorgia. May 30, 2011

I thought this was a good film, not scary atall but i wish i hadn't known the storyline before i saw it:(.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythekatfew May 17, 2011
SO JUST WACHCHT IT REALY GOOD keep looking behind me its a j-horror wich means its one of the moves you wach and ur not scared when your waching it but after it u keep checing behind you it has some disterbing seans i think thers 4 may be more idk but its grat it cud of ben more scareyer. its sad i think i cryed 2 times so dont know how much sleep ima get but if you love scary moves like me but u have a freand that dont u get hem or her to wach it and wen it is scarey just say is just a dog its just a dog and thay will be lol and whont get scared
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2011

Teen, 14 years old Written byheymonday101 January 12, 2011

Saw it when I was 6 or 7. We still have it on dvd!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bykellebag January 3, 2010

Scary movie, judge by YOUR kid's standards.

If your child is easily scared, no matter what age, this is not for them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBeyondBD October 18, 2009

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni--but with a VHS!

OMG, I am 14 and two nights ago from when I'm writing this, I watched the Ring. My mother rented it for me for a Halloween movie, after I had watched the Exorcist. Personally, I love anything Japanese, Death Note, FMA, etc... I thought that since this was based on the Japanese movie called Ringu, that I would be either very disturbed, or very interested (depending on how good of an English adaptation it was). In fact, it was a little of both. Kinda' reminded me of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... I was able to handle this movie without puking, but I must say that this is VERY disturbing, especially when they are watching the "death tape" (oh and did I say I watched this at midnight on a laptop in the dark?). If I was any younger I might have wet myself. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was all very good. The plot does a 360 nearing the end which will make people kinda surprised (epic plot twist!). And some bits are symbolic and have meaning. I rated this iffy for 14 because I was 14 when I saw this, and I didn't puke my guts out with fear! Anybody who likes this, I highly recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Or the dreadful English version When Cicadas Cry (DON'T GET THE ENGLISH VERSION!) All in all, a pretty good movie--make sure to look up Anna Morgan's curse on youtube and send it to all your friends after watching it--or you too will die.... :-)
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bygavin m. jackson April 9, 2008

Couldn't Live Up

This is a film that couldn't live up to the scary first act of the film. It drones on, and on, asking more questions that it doesn't attempt to answer, and ends with an extremely silly scene.
Teen, 15 years old Written by5aret April 9, 2008