All member reviews for The Ring

Teen, 15 years old Written bybookkeeper October 29, 2009

Scary scary scary *spoilers*

I haven't seen many horror movies, but this one was freaky. I can't think of any family appropriate words for how scared I was after watching this last Halloween. I had to sneak into my sister's room for the next two nights and listen to audiobooks to get any sleep at all. The Ring, though it has many somewhat gory and very disturbing images, has less of a horror feeling than an overall creepy feeling of impending doom. So, for those who are curious, I will try to name all the scary parts that I remember, so you can be on the lookout. If you don't want to know, don't read them. The beginning was scary; the one girl tells her friend and the audience about the tape, and then reveals that she watched it- 7 days ago. As the clock strikes 10, when she watched it the week before, things start happening (I don't actually remember the specifics). Either way, it's all very creepy and ominous- the TV turns on and off and on, static fizzing from the living room (I was afraid of static-y TVs for weeks, by the way). She opens the door to her room, and screams, and that's the end of her. You don't see what happened to her until the reception for her funeral, which our protagonist attends- the girl was her niece. They talk about her roommate (or was it her mother..?) finding her in the closet and BAM! Before you can blink, a quick flash of the girl, crouched in a closet and grotesquely distorted. The movie continues in similar ways- a man commits suicide in front of Rachel by electrocuting himself in his bathtub, a horse drowns and is chopped to bits by the propellers of a boat, Rachel pulls a long wire covered in black hair out from her throat. The tape itself is the creepiest thing I've ever seen. Simple shots of clues to the mystery of Samara, the ring girl. The climax is scary, but I'm not quite sure, as I was hiding behind a pillow the whole time. But the action- and gore- doesn't stop there because PLOT TWIST! And when Rachel is about to spin the chair around to see what's his face's face, don't look. I'm so glad I didn't- my friend still shudders to think of it. But, by this time, you are tired of plot twists, and just want it all to end. So, in conclusion: Scariest movie I've seen, disturbing images, and just a bit too long. Rachel is a good role model, who wants to save not only herself and her son, but everyone else who may ever watch the tape in the future.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE March 10, 2010

More proof that j-horror re-makes are epic fails.

I didn't know I had this movie until I found it one day buried under all sorts of junk. I've seen Ringu, the movie on which this was based, and it's a lot better. I'm not frightened by Samara-- and this is coming from a girl who is afraid of TRAINS, for crying out loud-- and I just feel bad for her. The only scene that scared me was the suicide scene, and I was pretty creeped out by the poor horses falling off the boat. I would suggest seeing the Japanese version of this movie as it is a lot better (if you're looking for a scare) but if you have young and/or sensitive children and they just HAVE to watch this movie, please at least cover their eyes during the scenes I mentioned.
Teen, 15 years old Written byindiemusiclover27 June 8, 2011

This movie is not "very, very scary".

I think the original review of this movie given by Common Sense Media is too critical. The Ring is not scary; some people may find the cursed tape and the Morgan family to be creepy. Otherwise, this movie is more interesting than scary; mind you, this was my first scary movie experince. Also, there is not any sex in this movie; the closest you'll probably even get to sexual themes is in one scene where Rachel (the protagonist) is in her bra and underwear in her house looking for a dress. Language is not much of a problem either; the only drinking/drug reference is at the beginning where Rachel was telling some girls about how sometimes her and her friends would get high in Rachel's room during their teen years. In a nutshell, this movie is not as bad as Common Sense Media makes it seem.
Kid, 11 years old April 10, 2011

My favorite movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a great movie overall. There were "jump" moments, but I just don't get scared by movies. Wonderful.
Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2011

BEST MOVIE EVERRRRRRR

This is the best movie ever! I am like OBSESSED with this movie, Samara is awesome! This is my favorite movie of ALL time!!!! I don't think it's scary anymore. I must admit, the first time I saw it- it scared the life out of me. No joke. It wasn't scary the second time. But BEWARE: Violence is no concern, Scariness and Disturbing Images IS A HUGE CONCERN. But after a second time it didn't scare me. SUPER GOOD MOVIE. Only good if you know enough about it. I did my research- LOL told you I'm obsessed. As for language: It has "pr*ck", "p*ssed", "b*tch", one use of *f*ckin", several uses of "sh*t", "d*mn", "d*mmit", the "Don't Watch This" has a use of "f*ck", the movie has LOTS of language, but the only constantly used word is "sh*t". I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH. As for sexual content: Rachel is once in a small bra and underwear, she has a wet T in one scene that you can see through, Katy answered yes when Becca asked her if her and her boyfriend "did anything". This movie is terrifying, disturbing, yet amazing. It scared me so bad the first time I had to go to the bathroom with my sister in the room with me, I slept with all the lights turned on for weeks, seven days after I saw the movie I was up until 5:00 AM, I wouldn't go near a TV for a week, I had horrible nightmares for months, to be honest, I am STILL scared of that movie, several times during the first time watching it I had to cover my eyes because it was too scary, I could barely watch the Noah death scene, yet I got over most of my fear. I love that movie, though writing this review is making me tremble. But watching the movie itself doesn't scare me anymore, it's Samara that scares me the most, but she's awesome!
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2010

ummm my mom is very VERY strict and she agreed to watch this even though she was very scared to. I did NOT jump once!!!!! i was not scared once!!!!! nothing happened till the end and THAT was NOT even scary!!!! btw i am new to horror movies!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 24, 2011

oh my god

oh my god this movie is SCARY!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byMattyWatty556 April 9, 2008

RING

The film RING is one of the scariest movies of our generation. Don't even THINK of watching this with a child below the age of 12. DO NOT. You can unless you love screams of "HELP DADDY, SHE'S TRYINGTO GET ME" every night then fine. Its okay as a film, kinda cheesy, but scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygeorgia. May 30, 2011

I thought this was a good film, not scary atall but i wish i hadn't known the storyline before i saw it:(.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythekatfew May 17, 2011

SO JUST WACHCHT IT REALY GOOD keep looking behind me its a j-horror wich means its one of the moves you wach and ur not scared when your waching it but after it u keep checing behind you it has some disterbing seans i think thers 4 may be more idk but its grat it cud of ben more scareyer. its sad i think i cryed 2 times so dont know how much sleep ima get but if you love scary moves like me but u have a freand that dont u get hem or her to wach it and wen it is scarey just say is just a dog its just a dog and thay will be lol and whont get scared
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2011

scary

HORRORFYING
Teen, 14 years old Written byheymonday101 January 12, 2011

LOVED IT

Saw it when I was 6 or 7. We still have it on dvd!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBeyondBD October 18, 2009

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni--but with a VHS!

OMG, I am 14 and two nights ago from when I'm writing this, I watched the Ring. My mother rented it for me for a Halloween movie, after I had watched the Exorcist. Personally, I love anything Japanese, Death Note, FMA, etc... I thought that since this was based on the Japanese movie called Ringu, that I would be either very disturbed, or very interested (depending on how good of an English adaptation it was). In fact, it was a little of both. Kinda' reminded me of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... I was able to handle this movie without puking, but I must say that this is VERY disturbing, especially when they are watching the "death tape" (oh and did I say I watched this at midnight on a laptop in the dark?). If I was any younger I might have wet myself. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was all very good. The plot does a 360 nearing the end which will make people kinda surprised (epic plot twist!). And some bits are symbolic and have meaning. I rated this iffy for 14 because I was 14 when I saw this, and I didn't puke my guts out with fear! Anybody who likes this, I highly recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Or the dreadful English version When Cicadas Cry (DON'T GET THE ENGLISH VERSION!) All in all, a pretty good movie--make sure to look up Anna Morgan's curse on youtube and send it to all your friends after watching it--or you too will die.... :-)
Teen, 15 years old Written by5aret April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bySamara Coleman December 3, 2014

Truly scary movie!

The Ring is a great movie about (being scared sh#tless) the consequences of act before thought. I believe that this movie deals well with the horror genre, and even the evil child subcategory of horror. The concept of film hijacking real life can also be taken as an allegory. The Ring quickly became one of my favorite movies, though I would not recommend it for kids and teens under 14. Too darn creepy!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy November 16, 2014

Not as scary as everyone says

Don't get me wrong, the ring is a very scary film. The suspense and anticipation is very strong. The first half of the movie is the most scary. So why do I say its not that scary? Because for all the suspense and the dreadful mood set in the film, it never really leads up to any particularly scary scenes. Several scenes did honestly scare me, but overall this movie is not extremely scary. Ive seen worse. Maybe its just because I watched the movie mostly during the day, but the idea of them finding Samara's body just doesn't make sense. It ruins the scary atmosphere. Anyway besides that their is very little language but very infrequent strong language and I mean VERY INFREQUENT. This movie is probably going to scare 99% of people horribly who watch it, and I'm just that 1%. It still did scare me though
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie reviews November 3, 2014

The Ring

NEVER LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS MOVIE, DONT WATCH IT YOUR SELF IF YOU CAN ADVOID IT! It is horribly morbid, I watched the TRAILER and I was never the same again. I still can't be in a dark room, or be alone in a room, I must always have my back to something or my head over my shoulder, and I can no longer watch any movie that is even REMOTELY scary, or I have night mares for years. If I had the power to, I'd pull this of DVD and TV and not let ANYONE watch it. It RUINED me, just the TRAILER!!!!!!! HORRIFYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bylizzie_lauren October 3, 2014

Not very scary

When i watched this film i wasn't scared even in the slightest. It is not scary but could possibly be for under 10. I was a bit disappointed with this film as it was supposed to be one of the scariest films ever. It wasn't particularly good either, i found the plot rather boring and the ending was a bit naff.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylimabeanzrule July 28, 2014

Hardcore bro

its friggen scary! I don't know what else I can say to make my point more clear... Its scary!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMalpacka99 July 19, 2014

Creepy Horror Film

This was by far one of the scariest movies I've seen. It had it all- creepiness, intense moments, and times you were afraid they'd jump out of the screen. Aside from the fact of it being a good frightening movie, it did have its flaws; the actual story was somewhat nebulous. It did have language, some (I thought) disturbing images. Near the beginning a girl is killed and found in a closet and her face is very creepy. Even if it was cgi, that face is shown and someone else's about 2 or 3 times. Also, it will make you not want to be around mirrors, tvs, maybe even closets. Be warned!