All member reviews for The Royal Tenenbaums

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Fine

Rushmore is better.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypfflyer56 April 9, 2008

'Common Sense' left out a few details

I enjoyed it very much. There were no brandnames, which added humor to the film--the taxi service was called gypsy taxi co., the bus service was green line. Common Sense did not mention the poster of the fully nude woman the chain of clips with shirtless woman exchanging homosexual kisses. Otherwise, this film was excellent.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Amazing movie if you enjoy subtle, dark humor. Not for everybody, but I loved it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNice to meet you April 13, 2014

Wes Anderson

Wes Anderson has finger prints all over this movie. Though I have to agree, this movie is purely fantastic but the beginning 30 minutes of the movie are relatively boring, but this great family tale is worth the wait. This is not Wes Anderson's best work, but it still has his wonderful style to it. If you are thinking of letting you kids watch it, there is a scene of blood that is slightly disturbing, but you will see allot worse on CSI anyway. One character has coke on the table for one scene but other than that this is not really an R.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjonahraleigh December 3, 2012

The Royal Tenenbaums

I'm 13 years old and I watched this movie with both of my parents and my younger brother. This movie is a really hilarious, witty, and warm-hearted comedy. There is a lot of smoking in this, but no other drug use. The language is a little harsh at some parts, but if your child is mature and knows not to repeat it, then it's fine. In one scene, there is a topless woman for about 3 seconds kissing another woman, and also a poster with full female frontal nudity for about 2 seconds or so, but other than that it's fine, and a real classic!

Incredible movie.

The Royal Tenenbaums is about a group of gifted, famous children and their mother Etheline Tenenbaum and father Royal Tenenbaum. Chas was a financeer, Margot was a playwright, and Richie was a star tennis player. Their father Royal Tenenbaums. After Royal and Etheline's divorce, the gifted children's future was ruined by 10 eyars of betrayal and disaster. Now after not seeing his family for 3 years, Royal Tenenbaum fakes a terminal illness in order to see his family again. This movie's great and incredibly underrated by Common Sense Media. I mean come on, 3 stars? Easily 4 stars, maybe 5. As well as the Wes Anderson movies as well. Maybe not Life Aquatic considering it wasn't critically recieved that great. This movie contains dark, witty, and subtle jokes. There's also some technical incest from abopted siblings, a naked woman as an ad for one of Margot's plays, a flip through of Margot's files including a part entitled "Rive Gauche`" with a topless woman and Margot kissing. The language is pretty minor, but the violence is much stronger. You might as well just read the CS review for that one. Richie tries to commit suicide by slitting his wrists(not as graphic as it could be but very, very dark.) All in all, this movie is about a family that truly loves eachother in it's own unique way whether they wanna admit it or not. Amazing 5-star movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageCritic100 November 30, 2014

Great movie that isn't anything mature young teens can't handle!

This is a great movie from one of the quirkiest directors around. It's funny, gripping, and dramatic. I'd say 13 and up is a good age, but only if you're mature and can handle some adult themes. There are some dark scenes- a suicide attempt and car crash resulting in the death of a pet dog (though it's not shown). There is also some nudity- a photograph of a woman's entire front, but no face is shown. There's also a decent amount of language: several uses of f**k, s**t, and a*s and strange romantic relationships. The main character basically deceives his family, but you can tell he cares about them and has a good heart. Most of the characters shown are honestly good people, and there are messages about the importance of family, honesty, and using your talents to the best of your ability. However, this movie could be hard to grasp or boring for some teens- Wes Anderson's trademark style isn't for everyone. I however really enjoyed it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byfilmmakermel August 24, 2014

This is an incredible film, but you must be sure that your children are mature enough to watch it. There is one scene with a suicide attempt that is very bloody and can be upsetting to viewers of any age, even parents. It is a great film, the screenplay is incredibly written. I personally enjoyed the film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRedfire August 20, 2014

Great Depressing Mature Movie Watch With Kids, But Guide Them Through It

So I recently watched this movie after someone recommended it to me. I must say it is now one of my favorite movies ever. I loved every character, even though they have some serous flaws. However this s a VERY mature movie. With adult situations and mature themes. There are only three uses of f--k surprisingly, considering this is an R rated film. The sex isn't frequent, but can be strong at times. In the beginning a poster with full frontal female nudity can be seen. Probably for like half a second. n a flashback scene two woman, one topless, make out, this however is on screen for at least fifteen seconds. A graphic and bloody suicide, I will not tell you if they did it or didn't. However it s very sad. The father's children hate him because of his neglectfulness in their childhood, and one character has a serous drug problem. Suggested MPAA Rating: R for Some Language, Nudity, Sexual Content, Drug Material and Mature Themes. Watch
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Wes Anderson's funny, heartfelt, emotional masterpiece

With The Royal Tenenbaums, Wes Anderson perfects his quirky visual style. The film is both a funny drama and a serious comedy. It tells the story of the dysfunctional Tenenbaum family of child prodigies abandoned by their father after their mother kicked him out of the house. Years later, he returns, diagnosed with fatal cancer, and wants to spend the rest of his time with his family. Filled with colorful characters, great performances, and a great soundtrack, The Royal Tenenbaums is Anderson's best: a great film about a not-so-great family. Sex: A poster of a naked woman's torso is briefly seen. A woman is briefly seen kissing another topless woman. Discussion about sexual affairs between characters. The theme of a romantic relationship between a man and his adopted sister is a major subplot. Violence: A man is stabbed; meant to be comical. A boy is shot with a BB gun. A man crashes a car into a house and kills a dog. In a beautifully filmed but very sad sequence, a man attempts suicide by cutting his wrists. Blood is seen running down his wrists while the actual cutting isn't. He is later found passed out in a pool of blood. Language: Infrequent strong language. Substance Abuse: A subplot involves a character secretly being a smoker since age 12. Occasional other smoking and drinking. Intensity: The suicide sequence, though beautifully filmed, is very sad and intense. Many scenes of family struggles that could be considered intense. A man becomes paranoid following his wife's death. The ending is sad. Though none of the characters would make good role models in the beginning of the film, by the end they have all learned to love and make peace with each other. There is also a good message to the movie about loving your family because they care for you and will always be there for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byElizabeth Blue April 25, 2013

It Surely Wasn't Shocking

Wes Anderson has always been one of my all time favorite directors, and this movie doesn't disappoint. Every shot is like poetry in pictures, and these famous, well known actors really get out of their boxes and play roles we haven't seen them in before. I feel that the website made too big a deal about the suicide scene, I think although it is bloody and the scene in which he shows Margot his cuts is a little unnecessary, it really isn't that bad. The website failed to mention that the scene in which Margot kisses a girl is much more than a moment. The incest between adopted siblings isn't that shocking. Overall, any teenager hears things much worse during school every day than they will see in this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares July 26, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

It's very funny and well-acted, and I found it difficult not to like.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythebaloob123 April 9, 2008