All member reviews for The Runaways

Sex, drugs, and glam rock in '70s teen band biopic.

Teen, 17 years old Written byilovekristenstewart July 19, 2010

the runaways

i LOVED this movie, mainly becuase kstew was in it, and i have LOVED joan jett's music for a long time!!!! WARNING: a lot of cussing, sexual content (between girls), and nudity (mostly girls). the lesbian scenes were awkward at first, but eventually i got used to them, there are just a lot of things in this movie that i would not recommend people under the age of 16 to be watching. well, you were WARNED!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisumi April 4, 2015

this is a good movie if you're a music fan.

This biopic is mature and has girl on girl kissing, a sex scene and drugs and alcohol. If you love sex, drugs and rock and roll then you'll like this. Not appropriate for under teens. Has bad language too.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytomogutu100 June 5, 2014

MA15+-Strong language, sexual raferences, and explicit scenes of drugs

This movie is really for older teenagers. I loved this film. but as a guy, the way I saw the movie is that teenage girls my age were shown as sexual objects. The producer tells the girls to act in a sexual manner. language is frequent. (especially towards the end, f-bombs a dropped frequently. parents really need to understand this movie before being watched. Despite that events are true, makes it really for older teens and adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytruetomovies April 12, 2014

gave a weired vibe

it was a load of rubbish in some respect. It was just about some girls with a life that turns into a depressing drug story. and at the end it made me feel weired.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytaralovescory September 30, 2013

Very good movie, but not appropriate for younger teens (unless you're more mature like me)

This is a very good look into The Runaways and the beginnings of the band, but its definitely NOT appropriate for younger teens, and even for kids my age (15) who are not very mature for their age. There is a lot, and i mean a LOT, of drinking, drug use, profanity and sexually suggestive material. If you're 16+ or a VERY mature 15 y/o, this movie should be fine
Adult Written bywonder dove May 11, 2013

Fun rock 'n roll film!

I thought The Runaways was a very enjoyable movie, although I have to admit, it took me two viewings to actually like it. Now, I'm just in love with it! I love the 70's rock 'n roll feel. I think it was really well done and the cast is perfect. I normally don't like Kristen Stewart movies (although I like her!), but she was just awesome in this, you get to see the best of her in this movie. It's basically about Joan Jett (Kristen) who wants to start an all girls rock band. She runs into aggressive producer Kim Fowley and he agrees to set her up, but there was only one thing missing, a sassy blonde named Cherie Currie (Dakota Fanning). The group sets off like wildfire and they soon become the most sought after band until things get crazy and go a little too far which eventually breaks up the group and Joan Jett decides to go solo. The language is strong with lots of "f" words throughout along with hell, d@mn, sh*t, p*ss...etc and some sexual related words. Violence has a foul-mouthed manager yelling and throwing things at the band members, insults in a bullying-like tone. Beer cans are thrown at people. A window gets smashed by an angry band member. Loud arguments, pushing and even peer pressure. Sexual content has girls making out with guys and girls. A boyfriend puts his hand under his girlfriends skirt when he learns she's wearing no panties. A five second scene of a man having sex with a teen (no nudity). A band member poses of sexy pictures at a photo-shoot wearing very baring outfits, she's also seen in lingerie during a performance. Manager uses sexual slang language when he's lecturing the group. A girl dances seductively in lingerie for a man for about 5 seconds. There is a lot of teen drinking, talking about alcohol, some cocaine snorting and pill popping and plenty of smoking. It's rated R for a reason, definitely not suitable for younger viewers. I would say 16+ at least!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 February 17, 2013

Weak on plot, performances; strong on rock

For me, "Runaways" wasn't great, and totally by-the-numbers as far as music biopics go. Stewart probably gave the strongest of the performances, at least she was able to communicate some of that rock grit we love about the ladies of the genre. Fanning, who I've grown up with in "Charlotte's Web" and "Cat in the Hat," is fairly awkward to watch strutting around, over-sexualized. I know, that's who the character was supposed to be, but it came off as hard to watch. If you like music biographies, try "Notorious."
Teen, 16 years old Written byBryn Clare August 1, 2012

The Runaways

This movie was great, but also had plenty of questionable content. On the plus side, it was entertaining, introduced me to 70s music, and gave me a biography of the first all girl rock band. This movie did have sexual content, swearing, and teens doing drugs on the other hand. Also, while none of the characters were role model worthy, the determination of Joan Jet to prove girls could rock is admirable.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 January 29, 2012

the runaways is a solid hit

i think thsi movie is good dark edgy and beautiful
Teen, 16 years old Written byGeorgiaS May 14, 2011

Teens and adults only.

I love this movie, after watching I died my hair black, Kristen looked great. I limit it to 13 because of the drug use and sexual themes, teenagers only on this one.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMissWorld February 12, 2011

Perfect for everyone :)

I love Joan Jett, I love The Runaways, and I love this movie!
Adult Written bymovielover11 December 29, 2010

Teenages allowed

It was a really good movie about how The Runaways started and how iconic they were. Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning are excelent in this movies. There are many scenes involoving drugs but nothing that a teenager could not handle. There is one scene where you can see people having sex but you can not see any body parts, this scene only lasts for 5 seconds and should not be the reason you do not see the movie
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2010

For VERY mature early teens, teenagers, and adults

I'm not gonna lie, 12 is the age I saw it, but I love the band so much. Not the Kristen/Dakota version on the songs, but the real '70s music. I know at least 50 of their songs, and have done research and saw "Edgeplay". They are my favorite band ever, even more than the Ramones. The movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I had high expectations. You/your child must be mature to see this. If you have to fast forward through the scenes with drugs/sex, they shouldn't see the movie at all. I felt mature enough to see it, and, I'll admit, I was freaked out at first, but I realized it's only bad if you haven't sat down and thought about life before you've seen it. A mature 13 or maybe 12 year old who wont be influenced and understands things should be okay seeing it. A girl starts her period(blood is shown), people have sex(it is shown once or twice), about 75 droppings of the f-bomb, and references to "private parts". Ciggs, girls inhaling things out of a bag, pills, cocaine, and other drugs are used by teens. However, the girls show sexist people that girls can rock.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMarilynMansonLover September 17, 2010

Perfect for mature teens.

Personally I really liked this movie. I love Joan Jett's music and have been really wanting to see this movie for a long time. I say if your kids very mature and can handle things like lesbian kissing drugs language and alcohol then they are probably old enough to see it. You shouldn't have to make your kids fast forward threw the "bad parts" if you feel there mature enough. If you feel that your kid should fast forward thew those parts then they are probably not mature enough to see it.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

not for kids

I did not like this movie.It was bad.Now the actors did good but I didn't like the messages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOnlyForForever August 3, 2010

Be careful..

I rented the movie, thinking it'd be really great. But i found it full of scenes,that personally i really didn't wanna see ( rough language , adult scenes taking place with teens ..drugs ..ect) If you trust your kid to fast forward past all the "iffy"situations , then yes it's a good movie. And trust me,there will be a lot of fast forwarding,but it also shows things like how friendships grow apart..Drugs can destroy your life,dreams, friendships , career ..everything. And that sometimes being outside the box (different ,standing out..ect) Is totally fine. Being yourself,No matter what is a great thing. But the drug use,language and sexual content.Really took away from it, but yet it probably wouldn't have had the same meaning without. I'd say if you trust your teen,then yes it's a fine movie. If not, i'd be very careful. One more thing..The music is AWESOME! Seriously.. :)
Parent of a 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byIndyChild.3000 July 21, 2010

Its All About Trust

I think if you trust your child, then the age is limitless, can you trust your child to fast-foward through the "Iffy Stuff"? If so, no harm is done! :-)
Teen, 15 years old Written byklkelly13 June 9, 2010

GREAT movie... for mature audience!

I loved this movie! The movie showed the great story of The Runaways! There are some intense scenes of drugs and alcohol, and some sexual scenes. I felt mature enough to see this movie, but anyone younger than me might want to stay away from it, especially any younger teens wanting to see a movie with their favorite Twilight characters. This is NOT a movie about the inecent Twilight characters. The young actresses also are very sexually attracted to eachother and older guys. The language was pretty bad and the whole message was not that possitive, BUT this is an amazing movie and very real as to how Joan and Cherie's lives were, along with the rest of society back in the mid 1970s.
Adult Written bypeppermintqueen April 18, 2010

Lots of sex, drug use, and profanity. Teen actresses are sexualized and parade about in their underwear. Well-made biopic but all a little gratuitous, even if it really happened.
Kid, 9 years old April 3, 2010