All member reviews for The Search for Santa Paws

Kids will love Santa's puppy, but watch out for sad moments.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 9 year old Written byenocat December 2, 2010

NOT a happy holiday movie.

Grandma bought this for my kids to get them in the holiday spirit - it was horrible. All three of my kids 3,5 and 8 were in tears at more than one point in the movie. Its just sad thing after sad thing - there is nothing happy until the very end. We won't watch it again. Don't waste your money.
Parent Written byembeau November 26, 2010

Not a family movie, just scary and inappropriate

The horrible woman who watches over the kids in the orphanage incinerates their toys as she does not allow toys in the home. (Going so far as to take a three year old child's toy given to her by her dead mother.) Children are forced to sleep in basement when they misbehave. This is not a childrens' movie and was frightening to our daughter . Not a family movie!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymorga November 26, 2010

Inappropriate for young children

This movie is not appropriate for young children. My seven year old daughter went to bed in tears and we didn't even finish watching the novie. There are too many sad moments. Santa Clause gets run over by a taxi cab and his possessions stolen while he lies in the street. A mean sadistic woman runs a foster home. She throws children in the basement when they misbehave and burns their toys in the incinerator. Santa Clause gets very ill and nearly dies at the end of the movie. Santa Paws is a stuffed dog brought to life by a magic crystal. His crystal is stolen by the foster mom and she throws him into the incinerator. I do not recommend this movie for young children.
Adult Written bycoffeecup12 December 6, 2010

True horror for a real dog!

I work for an animal hospital and saw first hand a real life tragedy for a small dog. A 3 1/2 year old child put her dog in a heated oven after watching this movie several times...at least that's the grandmother's story. The oven had just been turned on to preheat, and the mother realized within a minute's time what had happened. The dog suffered great burns, and may or may not survive. What if the child had burned herself while acting out this part of the movie? What if the mother had discovered the horror 5 minutes later? As for common sense, don't let young children watch tv and movies without previewing or watching with them. Just because it looks cute doesn't mean that it's appropriate. Adults who make movies like this must not remember being kids themselves.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySanterrifying December 7, 2010

AVOID FOR CHILDREN UNDER 7

Please don't let Joly Herman review any more films for this site. HOW could she not mention that SANTA IS MUGGED, HIS WALLET STOLEN AND HE NEARLY DIES IN THE HOSPITAL! Not to mention that Paws in nearly incinerated and a little girl retrieves him IN THE INCINERATOR! Do yourself a favor and go to Amazon and read all the reviews by likewise horrified parents.
Adult Written bykeerstn April 9, 2011

NOT a cute buddies movie

If your kids love the Buddies movies (Air Buddies, Snow Buddies, etc.), DON'T get this one! The dogs are an afterthought in this very poor Annie remake. I'm so sorry we got this! My kids were looking forward to the dogs and laughter, and we got neither. We didn't even SEE a dog for the first third of the movie, and there are NO buddies anywhere. Worst of all, the 'caregiver' is the nastiest of bad guys - steals a doll and tosses it into the incinerator, where you actually watch it burn. AARGH! Scared my 7-year-old terribly.
Adult Written byljrhaz December 14, 2010
I rented this movie without knowing there was adoption/foster care content as one of the themes. As an adoptive parent, I am concerned that my 6 yr old daughter will not understand that how these concepts were portrayed is not real. I'm particularly concerned with how Miss Stout was portrayed as a mean foster parent who punishes children by taking away beloved possessions and incinerating them and by locking children in the basement overnight. I plan to talk with my daughter to clarify things tomorrow. The other themes about Santa, the elves and the dogs was somewhat cute. Overall, I have some concerns about this movie.
Kid, 8 years old December 24, 2015

Really Intense Movie!

This review contains spoilers, so don't let your kids see this or hear this. Santa Paws gets put in an incinerator and it gets really intense, but then Eli suggests to turn off the power and then the drama for Santa wasn't as bad, but, no, don't think you could let your 2-year-old see this.
Adult Written byLittleBear December 21, 2014

A Christmas Movie with a dark image

As an adult, I look for movies at Christmas time to watch whether they are Disney movies or those other made for TV movies. So, I decided to rent this movie and watch it as it looked like a cute movie to watch. Unfortunately there were lots of scenes in this movie that even made me cry. Santa Claus gets hit by a car, there are several instants of the nanny being overly mean to the children, the older child in the movie does not lead by example by leading the kids on false pretenses, and even the youngest girl climbing inside the fire incinerator to rescue paws. There are instances too of a kids favorite doll being burned, and also the kids being forced to spend the day down in a dungeon like setting. It may be a Disney "family" movie but I won't be watching that one again as it does not have that lasting appeal to be a memorable film, except for the scars the hurtful scenes left in my mind.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byLen Snark December 30, 2012

You guys weren't kidding were you?

I wish I'd read the parent reviews on here instead of just glancing at the main screen rating because this one left my daughter emotionally wrecked. Terrible business with the orphanage and incinerator.
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2012

Fun Christmas movie for ALL ages

Children of any age will absolutely love this movie! It has some sad moments , but nothing happens. It's a very cute movie. It's sure to get you into the Christmas Spirit.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLHANDC May 4, 2011

HORRIBLE

Horrible movie, possibly the worst kids movie ever made. What trash! I demanded Disney give me a refund.
Parent of a 10, 10, and 10 year old Written bypanthergirl December 25, 2010
After reading the comments on this website I was concerned about letting my daughter, who is a dog lover, watch this. My husband and I watched it before we allowed her to watch. I have to say I disagree with many of the comments that are found on this site. Yes, there are some issues in this movie that need to be addressed with your child as you are watching it. However, I feel confident that the positive message of the Christmas season is one that my daughter recognized. I am sad that many of the reviewers did not see the power of love in many aspects of the movie. From the point Paws was created to the very end when the Huckelbuckles decide that making money is not the only thing that makes you a valuable person. While we are not her birth parents, she knows that not all foster homes are like this (she also knows some are). I suggest you watch this with your children and take the opportunities to talk to them about the issues that are brought up in the movie and make sure that you help them to see the message of this movie and the Christmas season.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJakGLaDOS29 July 18, 2015

Depressing

It's just sad especially with Miss Stout and when she incinerates the orphans only memories of their parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 December 21, 2011

Really good, but not for younger kids

I've seen this on ABC Family and I think it's really good. It has some scary/sad moments that might not be for younger kids, but still a good movie and has a positive message about caring for others and realizing the true meaning of Christmas is giving to others. Violence: Miss Stout, a foster home owner, is shown treating the orphans very badly, and a few perilous situations, like the scene in the incinerator, but nothing too bad for kids 6+ Consumerism: Part of popular Buddies movie series.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycheerchic747 December 28, 2010

Not for little kids at all!!!

This movie is adorable, but do not let little kids watch this. It can be very scary for them. The lady at the orphanage is way to mean to the orphans, and she hates Christmas. But at the end of the movie, it sends a positive message, and in the end, it is really cute.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... December 10, 2010

Very Bad Holiday Movie

After trying to watch this movie twice,I must say, it is not a very good movie. My granddaughters were terrorized by it. The furnace scene certainly should not have been in the movie. Even Santa was not attractive. Why make such an awful "Christmas" movie. I had to turn the movie off as soon as that furance scene came up. The children started to cry. I wish that Disney would read some of the negative reviews this film is receiving. Too bad DVD's can't be returned to the store. I think I might send it to Mr. Robert Vince, Walt Disney stodios Home Entertainment Director.
Kid, 10 years old November 27, 2010

A very heartwarming story for anyone to enjoy

The movie is bittersweet.Some happy and sad moments.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAVVD24 November 25, 2010

Extremely disappointing!!!

I bought my son the Santa paws this season because he loved the first one that was put out last year. However, when we were watching the movie I found it send some really bad messages to my son. To start off the foster mother places kids in basements as a form of punishment! Another issue I had with the movie was how they showed a scene of a little girl climbing to an active incinerator to save the stuffed puppy. My son starting crying and screaming when he saw this scene, I have never seen him act this way in my life! I had to explain to him obviously that it was bad to climb into something like that even if it is after an animal. I didn't like the message they sent in the movie especially in this one specific scene. I will be tkaing the movie away from him and we just bought it yesterday. I'm extremely disappointed!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byPnoenix0327 December 19, 2015

Scary for a small kid

My son is almost four, I came across this movie on Netflix, decided to give it a try. He enjoyed it in the beginning, the North Pole, the cute puppy and what not. But then he freaked out during the scene when the puppy, who turned back into a toy, was thrown in a furnace and a little girl went after him to pull him out. My son cried so bad while the puppy was going down the furnace on the conveyer belt! I can't believe a kids movie got so horrific. Seriously, he refuses to watch any other christmas movies now and I don't blame him!