All member reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

1960s-set family drama tackles weighty issues.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMiss Laura September 4, 2012

Original story!

This is an amazing film and book! The characters are beatifully portrayed in the film (except Rosaleen seemed a bit softer in the film and T.Ray also seemed nicer and less violent).
Adult Written bywonder dove January 25, 2010

Very emotional...

One of my favorite movies! It's extremely emotional & intense, but realistic which is refreshing. Dakota Fanning is excellent. I love Alicia Keys! I think the storyline is too powerful for young ones, the violence bothered me somewhat & the journey to find more about her mother was very sad & depressing. The whole concept of race/racism was a lot to breathe in but that's why this film is so great. Even older adults will cry, so make sure you have extra kleenex around! I rate this 5/5 stars.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypennstar April 2, 2012

the screct life of bees

i thought that it was a wonderfull movie. and really reccomand kids to watch it;
Teen, 13 years old Written byResidentEvilPotter November 26, 2011

Wonderful, Heartfelt, Touching Story - Does the Book Some Justice

Amazing movie. Some racial issues, including a character being falsely accused and beaten. The most intense scene of the movie is when one of the characters commits suicide. You see her body and the reaction of all the characters. It's very sad and has an effect for pretty much the remainder of the movie. I highly recommend you give it a chance.
Parent Written byGreat Movie September 22, 2011

Great Movie with a great sense of reality

Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea April 13, 2011

Perfect for 13+

This movie is an exellent film representation of the book by the same name by Sue Monk Kidd. The movie portrays important issues like racial prejudice, bad family situations, and suicide, while keeping an overall positive message of finding yourself and beauty in unexpected places. Lily, the main character, finds a true family in the beekeeping Boatwright sisters, and learns much about herself and that 'she is enough.'
Teen, 13 years old Written byshanno15 May 24, 2009

My review

This movie is sad,rascist,and abusive. The father abused his wife, and his daughter. The daughter accidently kills her mother when she was little with a gun. A girl May is shown drowned in a lake, and dead. A colored woman is beaten, and so is a colored man.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byluvgoodshows November 2, 2008

This movie made me cry!

Despite the violence and other elements already mentioned in Common Sense's review, I thought this movie was very good. I think the message behind this film is very relevant; we all have a past, which can be terrible and frightening, but our friends and loved ones can be a great source of comfort to us. Also, racism still exists today in some areas. African Americans have not always had the right to vote and other rights today. We have to remember that.
Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2009
The Secret Life of Bees is a movie thta will make you cry and laugh.It shows how you have to stick together and never turn away from family.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycalliegallie2 October 13, 2009

The secret like of this review.

Well I loved this movie. I thought it was al little sad because someone does kill them selves. There is just a gentle kissing and there is some abuse. Also this is when there was segregation in it so that isn't a positive message.
Kid, 11 years old October 12, 2009
Kid, 10 years old April 30, 2016

very moving

good movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMirene_cs February 15, 2016

Heart breaking yet uplifting

This movie goes threw a journey of emotions... Its got some funny parts to it but it seriously den break your heart. It is an amazing store of a girl who thinks she's unlovable. I strongly strongly recommend this for the family or if you just feel like something a little sad yet incredibly moving
Teen, 14 years old Written byskyrebel June 3, 2011

Awesome movie

This movie is extremely powerful. It shows viewers the effects of racial discrimination in the 1960s. the leading female roles are very strong, but why in the world are most of of them singers? Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, even Queen Latifah did some rap back in the day. And they got Sophie Okonedo to play Miss May. And she's a singer. Mind you, they are all strong women. But overall, an extremely inspirational movie. p.s Zach and Lily's kiss was so adorable!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 5, 2011
The Secret Life of Bees was a really great movie. The scenes with Lily's abusive father are pretty scary, but not too horrible. Also, a woman's dead body is revealed, in an extremely sad scene. There are also fighting. There is some mild curses, and the N word is targeted to hurt African Americans (this movie takes place in the 60's). This movie teaches a very valuable lesson of friendship and love. Lily's father is a terrible role model, but there are many good ones, like August. All in all, I would really recommend The Secret Life of Bees.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMillyMolly September 1, 2010

Great Acting

This is a great movie, it teaches valuable lessons, and it shows what happened in those days. I cried so much at this movie, but it was great acting :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyB123 July 27, 2010
I really liked this movie and it delivered a powerful message at the end. Good acting too
Kid, 10 years old July 10, 2010

Older kids

Dakota Fanning is the main character she goes to a house and learns a lot of life lessons.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorlaunterluver July 6, 2010

a sad but learning story

the positive message iz that every little thing can b loved
Kid, 12 years old April 17, 2010

Great movie with mature themes

Secret Life Of Bees is a very good movie starring Dakota Fanning. The movie is about a 14 year old girl who is haunted by the memorie of when she accidently killed her mother when she was four. She also has a very abusive father. Finnally she thinks her dad has crossed the line with saying and doing bad things to her. So she runs away and takes an older family memeber with her. soon they find a place to stay with a kind family who makes honey and works with bees. Lilly the 14 year old girl lies and doesent tell them why she really needs a place to stay. But as lilly becomes closer and closer to the family through love, honey, friendship, tragedies, and bees she has second thoughts about keeping everything about her life a secret from them. The movie is very sad and somewhat ilont. But secret life of bees i recomend for all kids 12 and up. But keep in mind the movie does have mature themes such as: Physical abuse, death, tragedies, and more....