All member reviews for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Inspiring seize-the-day tale with some peril and flirting.

Parent Written byManhattan Mom December 28, 2013

Let's have more movies like this one!

Finally, a sweet movie to take my 12-yr-old daughter to that she doesn't think is boring or corny! The cinematography is breathtakingly beautiful and Ben Stiller delivers a nuanced performance. The "romance" is subtle and respectful - a real rarity in the movies. Take your kids - you'll all enjoy it!
Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2013

Just A Great Movie To Watch Before The Year Ends!

I went to to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and I have to say it was nothing, but wonderful. It was hilarious at some parts, but also very touching at others. It was quite inspiring actually. And I am happy to report that there was nothing too inappropriate. Just very little language, and crude comments, but otherwise just fine. The movie was a lot of fun. The way they made was just creative and made it fun to watch. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who's looking for a good time at the movies before 2013 ends!
Parent Written bymotheroftwogreatboys December 29, 2013

Should be 16+

This movie should be rated 16 plus there are some references to sex such as Horney, strip clubs, erection, teen sex. If you are not ready to be in a movie theatre and have your child exposed to this, save yourself the stress. I think it is a great adult date night movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 December 29, 2013

Quite good, mature PG

Language is infrequent and violence is mild, as well as a few crude jokes and gestures, but when this is rated the same as planes, I don't get it
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byZoeyPearl December 31, 2013

Misleading Previews

I really enjoyed the movie but felt it was not a kids movie at all despite its PG rating. I wished I had known that since I had my kids with me. The trailer was very misleading, I thought it was going to be a Night at the Museum type adventure movie but it's more serious in nature. Good story and beautiful to watch but just not for kids.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Don't let the rating fool you, this movie is not for little kids.

I went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with my grandfather, no more prepared to enjoy it than we were to enjoy the popcorn, but we each were pleasantly suprised with Ben Stiller and co star Kristen Wiig's marvelous performance. It looks pretty good, and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose however it does its job, it depends on the visual effects to an extent. The romance was subtle and respectful,characters reference and go to the online dating website, eHarmony. A group of Chilean sailors pulling into port are said to be horny and very eager to visit a local strip club.Walter speaks of the reputation a character has in Grease for partaking in teenage sex. He struggles with a Greenlander's garbled english, mistaking eruption for erection. Walter speaks once of "making love" over a phone conversation. One s-word. One misuse of Jesus' name, four or five exclamation of "oh my god." Walter calls his boss a "d--k." Also "h--l," and "kick-a--," (twice each). "What the ...?" is blurted out and left unfinished. The film does nothing but struggle to continue the running theme and overall message (You are your worst barrier. Get out of your own way). Walter Mitty plays as a positive role model becuse he's tired of being to careful. So when an opportunity arises that allows him to push past his limitations and helped the magazine he loved for so long and possibly impress the woman he likes in the process, he finally goes for it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE December 31, 2013

Best Ending to A Movie

This movie was good but the ending is what made the movie incredible!! There is some violence but nothing over the top. There is some flirting and some brief heavy drinking in one scene. I would see this again so I could just see the ending again... Go see it! Perfect movie for winter break
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 December 31, 2013

Fun, joyous, charming, and sometimes quite funny adventure!

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 29, 2013

Perfect matinee.

I'm surprised by Ben Stiller's visual sense. This movie looks pretty good and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose but it does its job, but depends on the film's visual sense to an extent. The acting is good for the most part; Kristen Wiig is still super likable but I wish there was more of her, Ben Stiller plays the timid card well, but Adam Scott is super miscast. I like him and I love him on Parks and Recreation, but he just can't play an ass. I can't buy it, and it doesn't help that the screenplay's characterization of him is pretty lame, almost like they were desperate to have a direct and more conventional antagonist. Some stuff is pretty predictable, but I enjoyed this enough overall thanks to the cute laughs and sensibility it brings, but it mostly functions as a good weekend matinee. 6.8/10, fine, one thumb barely up, average, etc.
Teen, 16 years old Written byiPunk December 29, 2013

Good movie, but sometimes you confuse the fantasies with the reality

It all starts with a guy named Walter (Ben Stiller) that has these fantasies. He works with a girl named Cheryl (Kristen Wiig) and she's on the same dating site as him. He has a major crush on her. He has fantasies about her singing to him mainly. He wants to give her a 'wink' on this dating site but he can't because he didn't fill out a part of his profile. It asked if he 'has been anywhere noteworthy or mentionable'. He didn't put anything down. Everyone is jealous of someone else's life, in some way or another. Especially on Twitter. And everyone feels like their life is boring in comparison to somebody else. I thought the movie was pretty good.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerevier December 29, 2013

10 and up

This movie was a really good movie for kids but had some sexual references and language but was a good movie overall and I highly recommend it for kids 10 and up.
Parent Written bymomkristina January 4, 2014

Inspiring and Beautiful!

Me and my 15 year old daughter loved this film!!!! While younger kids might not understand this film fully, I think this movie is ok for kids 11 and 12 years old. The older kids get the more I think they will enjoy this movie. One use of "d--k" and some drinking but not much other than that. With all the violent movies out these days it was nice to see an uplifting movie that is ok for kids!
Educator and Parent Written byskiddered January 2, 2014

a enjoyable visual feast

A visually impressive film that our 10-year-old enjoyed very much. Yes, there are a few instances of language we don't allow our son to use, but other than that, I can't find much objectionable to this film. We all dream, and kids especially like to dream big. Dreaming of how his life should be (or could be) makes Walter Mitty's character an interesting one -- appealing to kids of all ages. I don't quite get the objections to consumerism in this film. Yes, Mitty uses a Dell computer, and he works at Life magazine, and we see him in a Papa John's, but I'm not sure those instances of product placement constitute making this film a glorification of consumerism. In fact, Mitty's character eschews much in our consumer world and he lives a pretty simple life.
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Best movie in 2013!

I saw "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" with my Grandpa and brother right before the year ended, and it was totally amazing in the theatre! Ben Stiller usually creates comedies, and even though it really was more of an action and a drama film, I LOVED IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a bit of violence (Walter jumps through a building and escapes a gas leak explosion) and bad language (that is common for your average comedy film), and some of Walter's "dreams" are totally unrealistic, but when you mix them together, they make a soon-to-be favorite for all kids with a wild imagination!
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byMayflower January 2, 2014

Enjoyable movie to see with your teens

Saw this with 3 boys ages 11, 12 and 13 years. I thought they might not like it, but they did. The adults really enjoyed it. There are a few, occasional, inappropriate words and one scene where a man is quite drunk. Very minimal violence (in one of Walter's day dreams, he fights with a coworker), no swearing that I can remember. The cinematography is beautiful and overall the movie is very enjoyable and positive. I would not recommend this for children younger than 12 due to the few instances of inappropriate language, and I do not think they would understand the story line. Middle school age and up would be most appropriate.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykrissylou January 4, 2014

Loved it!!!!!

Loved this movie!!!!! It was inspiring and funny! Probably ok for kids 11+ One bad word and a bit of drinking but not too much. A must see for teens and adults!
Parent Written byjamhr1 January 2, 2014

Thurber will luckily miss this one

Depressing, not inspiring. My first review was lost somehow, but now I can rethink what was most important. This is a trite, shallow, slightly crass treatment of the Thurber classic, and you would expect that from Ben Stiller, whose triumphant soliloquy at the the movie's end should embarrass anyone who sees it. The movie is about the demise of Life Magazine, and how one photo, to be the cover of Life's final edition, sums up the doomed magazine's mission. The photo negative is lost, and Mitty's got to leave his safe world of daydreams to rescue it. As so often happens with Hollywood, any opportunity for a real message is squandered. Stiller's afore-mentioned speech is almost tragic in its failure to grasp even the least shred of moral significance. Rather, he tells the cold-blooded, bearded mercenaries tearing down the magazine not to be such d#@!$ about it. Roll to credits. It's an obscenity beyond any words he might have used. He fails the magazine, he fails the employees, mostly he fails the audience. Sean Penn is colorful, but rarely seen. Shirley McClain is colorful, but rarely seen. The "real-life adventures" are MORE absurdly improbable than his day-dreams and rely solely on plot gimmicks and inconsistencies to keep moving.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Mature PG. VERY mature PG.

The movie is beautiful, in summary. This is what it contains: Violence- There is a fistfight in a lift, which is quite disturbing for kids under 8 as it is not fantastical, and features blood spurts. There are explosions, volcano eruptions, and fights with sharks. 5/10 for violence. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking- There is a drunk man when Ben Stiller visits Greenland. He acts drunk and crazy. Nothing else. 2/10 for 'drunkness...' Language- Lot's of uses of s**t. About 6 or 7. Holy s**t is said once, but briefly. A** is said once or twice. D*mn is said about 20 times, and so is h*ll. There is one use of d**k that is VERY inappropriate as it is used directly and aggressively. 6/10 for language. Sex- There are a handful of sexual innuendo's that will go above kid's heads. These include references about online dating, erections, teenage sex, sex in general. VERY inappropriate for a kids movie. 6/10. 19/40. This is very inappropriate for children under 7, ever, in terms of bad language, but children over 9 will get the jokes and enjoy the movie. Also, the movie was over the top at some moments...... (Greenland bit was boring and over the top...)
Kid, 10 years old January 4, 2014

Good Movie

It was good! There is a scene when two men fight quite violently but nothing you can't handle! There is some mild sexual remarks and dating sites but hardly any! There is only two swear words - s**t and d**k but still swearing in it! The reason I said nine and up was because anyone younger might find it a bit boring!
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2014

good movie, good message , funny scenes

this is wonderful it has beautiful scenery an inspiring movie the only reason I said pause for 9 is because they might think it is boring because the movie takes a while to open up 10 year olds will get it and understand it some very funny scenes also sex will fly over kids heads some flirting a man thinks a guy said erection when he said eruption violence includes two people fight in an elevator is a tiny bit of blood an eruption there is a shark scene language is infrequent h--l d--n a used 5 times d--k is used once s--t is uses a few times a great message nice ending very impressed by this movie