All member reviews for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Inspiring seize-the-day tale with some peril and flirting.

Parent Written bymotheroftwogreatboys December 29, 2013

Should be 16+

This movie should be rated 16 plus there are some references to sex such as Horney, strip clubs, erection, teen sex. If you are not ready to be in a movie theatre and have your child exposed to this, save yourself the stress. I think it is a great adult date night movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2013

Just A Great Movie To Watch Before The Year Ends!

I went to to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and I have to say it was nothing, but wonderful. It was hilarious at some parts, but also very touching at others. It was quite inspiring actually. And I am happy to report that there was nothing too inappropriate. Just very little language, and crude comments, but otherwise just fine. The movie was a lot of fun. The way they made was just creative and made it fun to watch. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who's looking for a good time at the movies before 2013 ends!
Parent Written byManhattan Mom December 28, 2013

Let's have more movies like this one!

Finally, a sweet movie to take my 12-yr-old daughter to that she doesn't think is boring or corny! The cinematography is breathtakingly beautiful and Ben Stiller delivers a nuanced performance. The "romance" is subtle and respectful - a real rarity in the movies. Take your kids - you'll all enjoy it!
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Don't let the rating fool you, this movie is not for little kids.

I went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with my grandfather, no more prepared to enjoy it than we were to enjoy the popcorn, but we each were pleasantly suprised with Ben Stiller and co star Kristen Wiig's marvelous performance. It looks pretty good, and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose however it does its job, it depends on the visual effects to an extent. The romance was subtle and respectful,characters reference and go to the online dating website, eHarmony. A group of Chilean sailors pulling into port are said to be horny and very eager to visit a local strip club.Walter speaks of the reputation a character has in Grease for partaking in teenage sex. He struggles with a Greenlander's garbled english, mistaking eruption for erection. Walter speaks once of "making love" over a phone conversation. One s-word. One misuse of Jesus' name, four or five exclamation of "oh my god." Walter calls his boss a "d--k." Also "h--l," and "kick-a--," (twice each). "What the ...?" is blurted out and left unfinished. The film does nothing but struggle to continue the running theme and overall message (You are your worst barrier. Get out of your own way). Walter Mitty plays as a positive role model becuse he's tired of being to careful. So when an opportunity arises that allows him to push past his limitations and helped the magazine he loved for so long and possibly impress the woman he likes in the process, he finally goes for it.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Mature PG. VERY mature PG.

The movie is beautiful, in summary. This is what it contains: Violence- There is a fistfight in a lift, which is quite disturbing for kids under 8 as it is not fantastical, and features blood spurts. There are explosions, volcano eruptions, and fights with sharks. 5/10 for violence. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking- There is a drunk man when Ben Stiller visits Greenland. He acts drunk and crazy. Nothing else. 2/10 for 'drunkness...' Language- Lot's of uses of s**t. About 6 or 7. Holy s**t is said once, but briefly. A** is said once or twice. D*mn is said about 20 times, and so is h*ll. There is one use of d**k that is VERY inappropriate as it is used directly and aggressively. 6/10 for language. Sex- There are a handful of sexual innuendo's that will go above kid's heads. These include references about online dating, erections, teenage sex, sex in general. VERY inappropriate for a kids movie. 6/10. 19/40. This is very inappropriate for children under 7, ever, in terms of bad language, but children over 9 will get the jokes and enjoy the movie. Also, the movie was over the top at some moments...... (Greenland bit was boring and over the top...)
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byZoeyPearl December 31, 2013

Misleading Previews

I really enjoyed the movie but felt it was not a kids movie at all despite its PG rating. I wished I had known that since I had my kids with me. The trailer was very misleading, I thought it was going to be a Night at the Museum type adventure movie but it's more serious in nature. Good story and beautiful to watch but just not for kids.
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Best movie in 2013!

I saw "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" with my Grandpa and brother right before the year ended, and it was totally amazing in the theatre! Ben Stiller usually creates comedies, and even though it really was more of an action and a drama film, I LOVED IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a bit of violence (Walter jumps through a building and escapes a gas leak explosion) and bad language (that is common for your average comedy film), and some of Walter's "dreams" are totally unrealistic, but when you mix them together, they make a soon-to-be favorite for all kids with a wild imagination!
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 December 29, 2013

Quite good, mature PG

Language is infrequent and violence is mild, as well as a few crude jokes and gestures, but when this is rated the same as planes, I don't get it
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2014

good movie, good message , funny scenes

this is wonderful it has beautiful scenery an inspiring movie the only reason I said pause for 9 is because they might think it is boring because the movie takes a while to open up 10 year olds will get it and understand it some very funny scenes also sex will fly over kids heads some flirting a man thinks a guy said erection when he said eruption violence includes two people fight in an elevator is a tiny bit of blood an eruption there is a shark scene language is infrequent h--l d--n a used 5 times d--k is used once s--t is uses a few times a great message nice ending very impressed by this movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 29, 2013

Perfect matinee.

I'm surprised by Ben Stiller's visual sense. This movie looks pretty good and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose but it does its job, but depends on the film's visual sense to an extent. The acting is good for the most part; Kristen Wiig is still super likable but I wish there was more of her, Ben Stiller plays the timid card well, but Adam Scott is super miscast. I like him and I love him on Parks and Recreation, but he just can't play an ass. I can't buy it, and it doesn't help that the screenplay's characterization of him is pretty lame, almost like they were desperate to have a direct and more conventional antagonist. Some stuff is pretty predictable, but I enjoyed this enough overall thanks to the cute laughs and sensibility it brings, but it mostly functions as a good weekend matinee. 6.8/10, fine, one thumb barely up, average, etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerevier December 29, 2013

10 and up

This movie was a really good movie for kids but had some sexual references and language but was a good movie overall and I highly recommend it for kids 10 and up.
Parent Written byjamhr1 January 2, 2014

Thurber will luckily miss this one

Depressing, not inspiring. My first review was lost somehow, but now I can rethink what was most important. This is a trite, shallow, slightly crass treatment of the Thurber classic, and you would expect that from Ben Stiller, whose triumphant soliloquy at the the movie's end should embarrass anyone who sees it. The movie is about the demise of Life Magazine, and how one photo, to be the cover of Life's final edition, sums up the doomed magazine's mission. The photo negative is lost, and Mitty's got to leave his safe world of daydreams to rescue it. As so often happens with Hollywood, any opportunity for a real message is squandered. Stiller's afore-mentioned speech is almost tragic in its failure to grasp even the least shred of moral significance. Rather, he tells the cold-blooded, bearded mercenaries tearing down the magazine not to be such d#@!$ about it. Roll to credits. It's an obscenity beyond any words he might have used. He fails the magazine, he fails the employees, mostly he fails the audience. Sean Penn is colorful, but rarely seen. Shirley McClain is colorful, but rarely seen. The "real-life adventures" are MORE absurdly improbable than his day-dreams and rely solely on plot gimmicks and inconsistencies to keep moving.
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bypkbos January 12, 2014

Fun + rich story - perfect date movie AND family with big kids!

This is a GREAT family movie. We took my youngest & his friend, 4th gr boys, and afterward, talked about it for an hour. This, despite their initial reaction, that it was 'pretty good, but not great.' The boys said parts were slow, and in our opinion, that is a good thing. It created space for them to THINK about the characters and the story, something they are clearly not used to doing! When we asked what they enjoyed, they couldn't stop relating scenes, one after another after another. We asked a few questions along the lines of the ones CSM suggests, and have continued to talk about this movie for 2 days. It is rich. A simple question about the title kept our 10 yr old, and his 11 year old brother who has yet to see the movie but has now heard most of it, jabbering through an entire long restaurant meal! My husband & I like to think the strong, quiet hero-mother character is a nod to Ben's own. The few profanities weren't too obscene, we know the boys have heard it all in films like The Avengers, anyway. Most of the dating innuendo went right over their heads, but as adults, we loved that it was respectful and honest. Plus, the digs at the (lack of) importance of social media were a bonus. Bravo!
Parent Written byLSU Mom January 11, 2014

Great Family Movie

This movie has gotten alternately panned and praised -- I am a member of the latter camp. The breathtaking cinematography echoes the story itself, as we see each frame of Walter's life both from his perspective and outside of it just as he must view the world, in beautiful single frames and glorious vignettes. This for me was a touch of genius. The positive messages are many, including Walter's self-discipline, sacrifice for family and loved ones, and bravery in overcoming his self-imposed obstacles. Fantastic. There is rampant product placement, which I assume helps Stiller pay for his movies, and I didn't find it vulgar or overbearing -- it just is, and worked in pretty humorously at some points. Violence is contained to Stiller's dreamscapes, and is relatively minor -- and again, pretty humorous at some points. Loved seeing Sean Penn in a role that I would imagine he would (or may already) live himself, in an alternate/private universe. Walter is fun stuff -- no "new Forrest Gump" as one reviewer reportedly claimed, but very good. Haven't stopped thinking about the movie since viewing a few days ago.
Parent Written bymomkristina January 4, 2014

Inspiring and Beautiful!

Me and my 15 year old daughter loved this film!!!! While younger kids might not understand this film fully, I think this movie is ok for kids 11 and 12 years old. The older kids get the more I think they will enjoy this movie. One use of "d--k" and some drinking but not much other than that. With all the violent movies out these days it was nice to see an uplifting movie that is ok for kids!
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014
Parent Written byUnwilted May 31, 2014

More interesting for adults, but not at all inappropriate for kids

This is obviously not a kids movie in that it is about a man sort of having a mid-life crisis. It gets more exciting as it goes along, however. But there is virtually nothing inappropriate about it for even the youngest of kids, other than the very few things mentioned in the main review. As a whole, though, this movie is much more wholesome than most kids movies.
Adult Written byddentry April 21, 2014

Good for "Family Movie Night"

This was a solid, easy movie for most any viewer over age 10/11. I was concerned about the previous review that mention the "erection" and "horny" and "teen sex" references but they were so small and so quick that I'd suspect most kids wouldn't have even noticed them. They certainly didn't cause an issue in my house.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Good.

I think this movie is great. I gave it a at least 8 and up, because there is one character that is very bossy and mean to Walter. The movie was very enjoyable. If your kids are dying to see this, let them. It is not a bad movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleakingrye January 19, 2014