All member reviews for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2013

Just A Great Movie To Watch Before The Year Ends!

I went to to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and I have to say it was nothing, but wonderful. It was hilarious at some parts, but also very touching at others. It was quite inspiring actually. And I am happy to report that there was nothing too inappropriate. Just very little language, and crude comments, but otherwise just fine. The movie was a lot of fun. The way they made was just creative and made it fun to watch. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who's looking for a good time at the movies before 2013 ends!
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Don't let the rating fool you, this movie is not for little kids.

I went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with my grandfather, no more prepared to enjoy it than we were to enjoy the popcorn, but we each were pleasantly suprised with Ben Stiller and co star Kristen Wiig's marvelous performance. It looks pretty good, and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose however it does its job, it depends on the visual effects to an extent. The romance was subtle and respectful,characters reference and go to the online dating website, eHarmony. A group of Chilean sailors pulling into port are said to be horny and very eager to visit a local strip club.Walter speaks of the reputation a character has in Grease for partaking in teenage sex. He struggles with a Greenlander's garbled english, mistaking eruption for erection. Walter speaks once of "making love" over a phone conversation. One s-word. One misuse of Jesus' name, four or five exclamation of "oh my god." Walter calls his boss a "d--k." Also "h--l," and "kick-a--," (twice each). "What the ...?" is blurted out and left unfinished. The film does nothing but struggle to continue the running theme and overall message (You are your worst barrier. Get out of your own way). Walter Mitty plays as a positive role model becuse he's tired of being to careful. So when an opportunity arises that allows him to push past his limitations and helped the magazine he loved for so long and possibly impress the woman he likes in the process, he finally goes for it.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

Mature PG. VERY mature PG.

The movie is beautiful, in summary. This is what it contains: Violence- There is a fistfight in a lift, which is quite disturbing for kids under 8 as it is not fantastical, and features blood spurts. There are explosions, volcano eruptions, and fights with sharks. 5/10 for violence. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking- There is a drunk man when Ben Stiller visits Greenland. He acts drunk and crazy. Nothing else. 2/10 for 'drunkness...' Language- Lot's of uses of s**t. About 6 or 7. Holy s**t is said once, but briefly. A** is said once or twice. D*mn is said about 20 times, and so is h*ll. There is one use of d**k that is VERY inappropriate as it is used directly and aggressively. 6/10 for language. Sex- There are a handful of sexual innuendo's that will go above kid's heads. These include references about online dating, erections, teenage sex, sex in general. VERY inappropriate for a kids movie. 6/10. 19/40. This is very inappropriate for children under 7, ever, in terms of bad language, but children over 9 will get the jokes and enjoy the movie. Also, the movie was over the top at some moments...... (Greenland bit was boring and over the top...)
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Best movie in 2013!

I saw "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" with my Grandpa and brother right before the year ended, and it was totally amazing in the theatre! Ben Stiller usually creates comedies, and even though it really was more of an action and a drama film, I LOVED IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a bit of violence (Walter jumps through a building and escapes a gas leak explosion) and bad language (that is common for your average comedy film), and some of Walter's "dreams" are totally unrealistic, but when you mix them together, they make a soon-to-be favorite for all kids with a wild imagination!
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 December 29, 2013

Quite good, mature PG

Language is infrequent and violence is mild, as well as a few crude jokes and gestures, but when this is rated the same as planes, I don't get it
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2014

good movie, good message , funny scenes

this is wonderful it has beautiful scenery an inspiring movie the only reason I said pause for 9 is because they might think it is boring because the movie takes a while to open up 10 year olds will get it and understand it some very funny scenes also sex will fly over kids heads some flirting a man thinks a guy said erection when he said eruption violence includes two people fight in an elevator is a tiny bit of blood an eruption there is a shark scene language is infrequent h--l d--n a used 5 times d--k is used once s--t is uses a few times a great message nice ending very impressed by this movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 29, 2013

Perfect matinee.

I'm surprised by Ben Stiller's visual sense. This movie looks pretty good and its soundtrack compliments it well. The script is pretty loose but it does its job, but depends on the film's visual sense to an extent. The acting is good for the most part; Kristen Wiig is still super likable but I wish there was more of her, Ben Stiller plays the timid card well, but Adam Scott is super miscast. I like him and I love him on Parks and Recreation, but he just can't play an ass. I can't buy it, and it doesn't help that the screenplay's characterization of him is pretty lame, almost like they were desperate to have a direct and more conventional antagonist. Some stuff is pretty predictable, but I enjoyed this enough overall thanks to the cute laughs and sensibility it brings, but it mostly functions as a good weekend matinee. 6.8/10, fine, one thumb barely up, average, etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerevier December 29, 2013

10 and up

This movie was a really good movie for kids but had some sexual references and language but was a good movie overall and I highly recommend it for kids 10 and up.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Good.

I think this movie is great. I gave it a at least 8 and up, because there is one character that is very bossy and mean to Walter. The movie was very enjoyable. If your kids are dying to see this, let them. It is not a bad movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleakingrye January 19, 2014

walter

Teen, 15 years old Written byredtaylib January 7, 2014

Not as good as I thought, but great message

I'm sure everyone was as semi-captivated as I was by the trailer-- but don't be fooled! It was a nice movie with positive role models and messages. I just didn't understand the whole purpose of finding this ONE FRAME of film... I get that he was losing his job, but it was gone anyways. The trailer was pretty misleading as I thought it would be a Ben Stiller movies... sort of like Zoolander but more serious-- and it was not (not that it was a bad movie, just unexpected). Also, I think it's kind of sad and pretty slow (I fell asleep hallway through) but it had a very positive ending about not taking life for granted and enjoying the ride. I went to see this with my 8 year old relative, so I think your kids will be fine. It's your choice to hit the movies or wait until DVD (I'd say wait for DVD unless your desperate to see it).
Kid, 10 years old January 5, 2014

The secret life of Walter Mitty - is it really that good?

This movie would be too hard for younger viewers to follow as it moves around in the story too quickly. Also their was an amount of swearing and alcohol. At times it is a little far fetched .
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE December 31, 2013

Best Ending to A Movie

This movie was good but the ending is what made the movie incredible!! There is some violence but nothing over the top. There is some flirting and some brief heavy drinking in one scene. I would see this again so I could just see the ending again... Go see it! Perfect movie for winter break
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 24, 2015

Kid, 8 years old July 4, 2015

Boring, slow comedy is violent, to mature for young teens.

This comedy fallows a man named Walter he has lots of daydreams throughout they days of his life and then falls in love with a woman that has a son named Nick. This movie has lots of violence and peril but its all in Walter's day dreams. There are a few racy references including a talk about erection, adultery, references to "bunch of a horny Chileans" and one kiss. There is lots of frequent strong language including d--k kicka-s s--t c--p etc. There is also some very brief drinking and some beer drinking but nothing strong. This mature, boring, uninteresting comedy might appeal to young kids but due to strong language, drinking, mature content, and some strong violence this is best left to older teens. My rating:R for some strong violence, language throughout, frightening images, and alcohol use.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohnny brew March 3, 2015

The secret life of Walter mitty

11 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written bydkasal000 January 4, 2015

Good

Little bit of swearing for a PG but very funny.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnomaly January 2, 2015

Thought-provoking and Imaginative.

This was a movie I had to see twice to appreciate. I suppose the inappropriate comments and slight cussing caught me off guard the first time through, most of which would probably be missed by a younger viewer. Even though the age rating was off, you can't deny it's an excellent movie. The plot was thought provoking and inventive, full of beautiffully captured scenes, and has plenty of good, clean humor as well. Great for people who love to think deeply.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 24, 2014

This is my moms favorite movie.

Very good movie, think there might be some mild swearing, other than that very fun to watch and entertaining
Kid, 11 years old October 21, 2014

Incredible!

Violence- 2(Punching) Sex- 1 (One reference to sex) Swearing- 2 (S**t, Sl*t, hell)