All member reviews for The Secret of Kells

Teen, 16 years old Written byframinghanley March 12, 2010

review

It's perfect for little kids. It send a good message
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2010

A good choice for tweens

Secret of kells is my favorite movie ever, however, it could be very scary for young kids. (I was shaking the entire time, and i'm 11!)
Kid, 9 years old November 6, 2010

A good story with a little violence but not too much

It had beautiful animation and music. It made me interested about learning about illuminated manuscripts. The illustrations were soooo beautiful! I thought it was a great movie for 9 and up. But it was a little violent in some parts like when the Vikings attacked, but I thought they needed to show the violence because it was a good story about a time in the past.
Teen, 14 years old Written byimmzzzzy June 19, 2010

Great, dispite my nit-picking.

This movie was good, but I have a few problems with it. Overall, it was probably a bit intense for little kids, but otherwise wonderful. My issues with it lie deeper than that. I enjoyed the fact that it played off of Irish culture, history, and fables, but it wasn't entirely accurate. One little thing I picked up was that most of the characters are redheads, but they fear the coming of the Vikings. Historically, the "typical" Irish red hair came from the Vikings, which would make it impossible for the movie characters to have red hair before their arrival. This doesn't make it a bad movie, I'm just nit-picking. One more significant problem is that I think it ends too early. The story is hardly resolved. The last few years of the story are summed up in a couple of minutes, which I thought did it little justice. Not to mention my favorite character, the spirit girl, is under used. I'd have like to have seen more of her. Despite my review so far, which I feel I should apologize for, the movie is beautiful. It's filled with gorgeous imagery, and the music is enchanting. See this film, and enjoy the fantasy of the Book of Kells. I also suggest looking up the real thing; incredible.
Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2011

Great Movie, Honestly a Hidden Gem!

This is really a beautiful movie, that was really fun to watch and see. Since so many movies for kids today have tons of inapropriate stuff, marketing, "sexy" images and language while 4-year-olds are watching it, this movie really stood out! I loved the illumination plot, and watching the boy grow up and carry on the art. Ashlin the fairy was a good female character, and she was a funny, refreshing character! However, there was some noticeable violence when the Vikings attacked that scared my 2-yr-old sister and so probably younger kids shouldn't watch that part, but overall a wonderful movie and a must-see.
Kid, 9 years old June 2, 2010

Fantastic Movie!

This was the best movie at a film festival I went to. The animation was fantastic. The story was great because it was based on Celtic mythology. The only downside was that it was a bit scary at times. But, overall, this movie was AWESOME!
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2012

=)

It's pretty good but the animation is sometimes, weird. There are scary scenes, and the end is so sad it made me cry.
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2012

Great Animated Movie

Teen, 14 years old Written byAkoniades January 17, 2012

my favorite animated film

this movie is da bomb! dont listen to what ConcernedMommyE has to say. she dosent know what shes talking about. best. movie. EVAR.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrecociousBubblegum February 22, 2015

Amazing

This movie is.. wow. Just, wow. The art style is impossibly beautiful, and the delivery and scripting is incredible. I wish Aisling had gotten a little more screen time, because let's face it, that girl stole the show. She has by FAR the biggest fanbase, and was the scene stealer of every scene she was in. By the way, ConcernedMommyE, what about this is so bad? In a world filled with violence, terrorist groups, and corruption, this is the Telletubbies. I'm not saying that you should just let your 5 year old watch rated R movies and stuff, but don't completely shield your children from reality. That's how they become introverts. Love this movie, it's amazing!!
Kid, 8 years old March 31, 2013

Great Movie!

I think the Secret of Kells is a great movie and I'm 8 , almost 9. Someone get shot but it's not scary. The movie has suspense and a good ending.