All member reviews for The Secret of Moonacre

Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2011

Great for tween girls!

This is definitely one of the most fun movies I have ever watched. At the time I watched it tied for first place as my favorite movie with Howl's Moving Castle. It has positive messages of overcoming your differences and changing the world yourself and not just sitting around for others to fix the world. The movie seems to be set in a sort of alternate reality, around the Victorian Era. Towards the end of the movie there are some points which could be creepy to kids under eight, or even sensitive eight year olds. At one point a dog gets shot and seems to be dead. The main character is held at gunpoint and later jumps off a cliff that seems to be at least a hundred feet high, and lands in the ocean. At first the movie seems to be divided into two sides, with the Merryweather's being "good" and the De Noir's being "bad". Later it becomes clearer that this is not the case, and both families are at fault. Still, the movie really centres around the kids being better than the grown-ups, which works well, but isn't a great method. The main character, Maria is very selfless, generous, and noble-hearted, and the De Noir boy, Robin, is also fairly nice and courageous, once he listens to Maria and his head deflates a bit. The grown-ups seem to hold their grudges rather strongly, and aren't as great of role models. Sir Benjamin, Maria's uncle, breaks off his wedding when he finds out his bride-to-be, Loveday, is a De Noir. Loveday, in return runs away to the woods and hides. Also, Coeur De Noir decides to kill Maria when she runs away from being held captive at his run-down castle fortress. Later in the movie the two men seem to forgive each other, but neither seem really sincere. There is a budding romance between Maria's governess and Sir Benjamin's butler, and throughout the later part of the movie you are suspecting something more to spring up from the new relationship between Maria and Robin then what ever does. The movie is loosely based on the book, The Little White Horse, which I found not quite as enjoyable. But then again I had higher hopes for the book having already watched the movie. Fans of the book might be disappointed as many things in the plot were changed to include magic. The movie is aimed at 10-12 year old girls, but will be enjoyed by other crowds as well, though it might not appeal as much to boys as girls, there being no significant or good main character that is a boy until about three-fourths of the way into the movie.
Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2010

very weird......
Kid, 9 years old July 17, 2013

THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE

It was even better than hairspray my mom and my 16 year old cousin even liked it .Maria is gorgeous and its cute how robin has a crush on her.
Teen, 13 years old Written byElvalight December 10, 2012

Not the worst. Pretty bad though.

I guess this movie wasn't the worst, but it never did make any effect on me. It just seemed...like the girl was a BRAT! Like she didn't even want those cloths over her own dead bird of a dress she NEVER.TOOK.OFF. Yeah, so it may have had good scenery, the characters were not good actors at all. It was on about the same level as the last sin eater.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJulia8 July 16, 2012

Great Heroine

Its an exciting movie with a witty and brave heroine. And Robin, who is a "bad guy" is really cute! <3
Kid, 8 years old April 27, 2012

A+!!!!!!!!!!

This movie was the best! I think it is a great family movie for kids 8 & up. You never knew what was going to happen next. I was scared at some parts but then I felt alot better when everything worked out. There were some sad parts but the always got fixed by something unexpected. I give this movie an A+!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old March 31, 2012

BEST...MOVIE..EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great movie that everyone should watch.There might be some things that might scare some kids.My 4 year old sister could watch it, but, she has seen some stuff that is not appropriate for other 4 year olds.Anyway, there is a brief kiss and a few scenes that I was a bit scared of myself, but after you watch it again you see it is awesome! I noticed that some adults have rated it 14 and 11, but I think it deserves a 6 and up. This is a perfect family movie! trust me on this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMs.Readalot September 6, 2011

I liked it but...

it had some scary parts, a bad word is used at least twice. I liked it for me, not my younger siblings.
Kid, 10 years old August 9, 2011

The best movie of 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi I am Emma and I am ten years old and this is what I think of The Secret of Moonacre. The Secrte of Moonacre is a great movie because it gives a good leson like dont run away from your troubles fix them. In the movie they always give postive attiudes. The Secret of Moonacre is tied with favorite movie The Chronicles of Naria! I am trying to get the book The little white horse and this movie (I saw the movie on Netflex) because i love it so much =)!
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check out my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 19, 2011