All member reviews for The Secret of NIMH

Fascinating, but very dark with some creepy imagery.

Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns November 18, 2008

Okay, can we get some sense of imagination here, people?

In the world of today, kids kinda need to be scared, and I think they like it more than they let on. With all the lies told by parents nowadays, kids need to be exposed to this kinda thing. This is one of the best movie adaptations ever! Perhaps it is too frightening for younger children. I guess maybe it would be a good idea to wait a while. Still, this is Don Bluth's best film and deserves a lot more respect.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byVickyN August 5, 2010

Definitely not for under 8

My nearly-8-year-old had starting watching this yesterday while I frantically searched here for clues. I sent my 5-year-old out of the room. The 8-year-old was fine with all the scenes people talk about here, but my hyper-sensitive especially around animals 5 year old would have been freaked by the glowing eyes. I want to clarify a point people have made about the flashback scene in the lab. Unless I missed a scene, the flashback in no way portrays torture; the rats are injected and they make it a little scary but I think kids would just associate it with a shot and think it was a good thing. Then the rats grow exponentially and squirm a bit while they do it. That's it. The problem I have with this movie is more about the violence of the two rats fighting and the graphic quality of the stabbing. The good side is that it's a mother that's the hero(ine),
Teen, 17 years old Written byel April 9, 2008

awful!

Violent, scary, witch-like. A wonderful children's classic taken to a "dark" level, makes the wise leader Nicodemus a wizard-king. Involves 2 murders, is all DARK. Certainly not for little kids, or for those who've loved Robert C O'briens classic. Puts NIMH in a cruel light, shows animals being "tortured". Absolutely horrid, would NEVER watch again. Had my 11 year old brother almost crying.
Parent Written byufosjt February 23, 2012

Can be scary, but a great family flick!

This great flick for children can be scary at times. "Nicodemeus", a rat from NIMH, looks very creepy and scary. So does the great owl. Otherwise, children 7 and up would be good for this. Anyways, this movie is great and family-friendly!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJemmy March 10, 2009

Great Entertainment For Everyone!

I have to say, this is the greatest animated fantasy ever made. There were some violent parts though, and some blood, but it had a pleasent ending. The animation is fabulous, and so are the special effects, music, and voice talents. This is a film that young and old people will enjoy. It was a faithfull adoption to Robert C. O'Brian's novel.
Educator Written byoggathac February 19, 2015

"Courage of the Heart is Very Rare..."

"...You'll Find a Power When Its There." It would be more honest for Warner Bros. to use the original dark movie poster design that came out when this film was released (it's much more stylish anyway). 'The Secret of Nimh' still stands as Bluth's best animated feature, something he himself admits after all these years. The incredible lush animation, beautifully painted backgrounds, and lovingly detailed character designs are something you just don't see anymore in this era of simplistic, Flash-dominated TV/web animation. Older children will appreciate the darker themes of suspense, examples of female and male derring-do, facing one's fears, and the backstory of animal experimentation that is the main message the book 'Nimh' is based on. The wise, imposing-yet-benevolent characters in the story are almost portrayed as god-like with their gold, glowing eyes. So whether you think such things are too scary for young children or might benefit from getting a bit of "fear of God" put into them as Bluth (a strict Protestant) intended is up to you. Bottom line, this is a beautiful, action-packed, sensitive film with great messages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

one of my favorite animated movies of all time.

I remember watching this film several times during my elementary school years at two schools. I didn't really get scared though and neither did the other kids. It is a very dark kids movie as well and when it comes to language d*** is said once and I didn't notice it until I watched it for the last time in elementary school in 5th grade. This is still a amazingly beautiful film though and me and my brother both think it's great. Just keep 5 and under away though because they will get scared. I am also so gonna show this movie to my little cousin when she turns six.
Parent Written byBrandon Espinoza September 30, 2013

Overview of the Secret of NIMH

English: This film is just absolutely amazing! Nothing bad in particular except it's false "G" rating which should be revised to a "PG" rating minimum for it's perils, mild blood, and violence, and minor swearing. Besides its minor drawbacks, it has aged well, even after more than 3 decades since its theatrical release, it holds up well. The star, Mrs. Brisby, is such a timid mother, that she goes to great lengths to do just about anything, even nearly risking her life to do so. It is SO underrated, not too many people back then, or even to this very day discuss, let alone talk about it. I loved watching it as a child, and even as an adult, it's still quite entertaining to me in my opinion. Español: Esta película es absolutamente increíble! No hay nada malo en particular, excepto que la falsa clasificación "G", que se revisarían a una "PG" calificación mínima de sus peligros, sangre leves, y la violencia, y los menores juran. Además de sus inconvenientes menores, que ha envejecido bien, incluso después de más de 3 décadas desde su estreno, se mantiene bien. La estrella, la señora Brisby, es una madre tan tímida, que hace todo lo posible para hacer casi cualquier cosa, incluso cerca de arriesgar su vida para hacerlo. El SO está infravalorado, no mucha gente en aquel entonces, o incluso a día de hoy discutir, y mucho menos hablar de ello. Me encantó ver como un niño, e incluso en la edad adulta, aún así es bastante entretenido para mí en mi opinión.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 1, 2013

Dark, mysterious but fine for kids

Maybe don't show this to your youngest kids, but those in kindergarten and above will hopefully get caught up in the dark, somber and magical world of "The Secret of NIMH." There's some great voice talents, gorgeous animation, and my only complaint was the lengthy comic relief of Jeremy the Crow, but your kids will probably like him!
Kid, 10 years old May 15, 2013

Good movie but a bit Scary

This is O.K but Be careful it can be Scary at times. This is not for kids younger than 6.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow May 21, 2012

A well-made Bluth film; some violence

This is my second favorite Don Bluth film, after The Land Before Time. It has a few good role models, but it is a little bit dark, and it has one use of "d*mn", which makes me surprised at it's G-rating. It is not as emotional as The Land Before Time, but it is on par with it in terms of intensity. Nonetheless, it is a nicely animated Bluth film that will please his many fans.
Educator Written byAuntKraken October 13, 2011

Great film

It goes into detail about animal testing and how it effects the animals forced to be tested on.
Parent Written byhomiekreesh October 2, 2011

very good

awesome movie watched it when i was like 4 or 5
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 July 20, 2011

Don Bluth's Exciting, But Intense Animated Classic

While a great movie this is certianly not G rated. It's from the eighties, but still should be PG. Violence- The Owl crushes a spider. Jenner kills Nicodemus, and he and Justin fight. Jenner and his minion's deaths have blood shown. Language- Justin says D-mn when Brisby's caught. Drugs- A main part of the movie is that someone has to drug the cat. Your children may be fine, but just in case preview it first. (You'll enjoy just as much)
Parent of a 7 year old Written byQuQu May 17, 2011

Well made, but too scary and violent

Dark, scary and violent throughout, except for the very end. There are several scary looking characters, violent fight scenes, rats being forcefully injected with experimental substances in a lab and the main character's children drowning in mud (though miraculously saved). The animation is good and the ending is happy.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011

i love this movie so much.its one of my favorites.its really interesting to watch.its amazing! i didn't find all that scary but for people who are easily scared they might want to be a little careful when watching this movie.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2010

What I don't get...

.... is why it says this in the trailer. "And find the child inside us all." I haven't watched this movie, but I can tell it's very, very dark and I might watch it soon after reading the book.. The plot, I can tell, is heart warming. Mrs. 'Frisby' trying to save her son is a very good message.. and she's a wonderful role model.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2010

GOOD MOVIE

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I REMEMBER WATCHING IT WHEN I WAS IN THE THIRD GRADE. THIS MOVIE WASN'T SCARY AT ALL! I KNOW IT MAY BE A LITTLE DARK FOR LITTLE KIDS BUT, HEY WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU'LL GET USED TO IT.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

Good

I love it it's a good movie, but 3-6 year olds might get scared at some parts.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bytajishima June 9, 2010

A classic movie from the early 80's,but watch with small children with caution

The Secret of Nimh is one of the most powerful movies I remember seeing when I was four years old. Now I'm 32, and I REALLY miss this quality of hand drawn animation. For Parents, this is a great movie to watch with your children. However, be aware there are some scenes which are very distrubing to children, especially the animal experimentation scene. Just be aware that you need to talk to your children afterwards if they start to get scared about this distrubing scene. Apart from this one scene, the rest of this movie has wonderful artwork, and the backgrounds are so detailed, that you have to admire all the attention to details. This movie artwork is even impressive to this day (2010). Buy this movie and enjoy. The Secret of NIMH should be one of best animated movies of all times.