All member reviews for The Secret of NIMH

Fascinating, but very dark with some creepy imagery.

Teen, 17 years old Written byel April 9, 2008

awful!

Violent, scary, witch-like. A wonderful children's classic taken to a "dark" level, makes the wise leader Nicodemus a wizard-king. Involves 2 murders, is all DARK. Certainly not for little kids, or for those who've loved Robert C O'briens classic. Puts NIMH in a cruel light, shows animals being "tortured". Absolutely horrid, would NEVER watch again. Had my 11 year old brother almost crying.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byVickyN August 5, 2010

Definitely not for under 8

My nearly-8-year-old had starting watching this yesterday while I frantically searched here for clues. I sent my 5-year-old out of the room. The 8-year-old was fine with all the scenes people talk about here, but my hyper-sensitive especially around animals 5 year old would have been freaked by the glowing eyes. I want to clarify a point people have made about the flashback scene in the lab. Unless I missed a scene, the flashback in no way portrays torture; the rats are injected and they make it a little scary but I think kids would just associate it with a shot and think it was a good thing. Then the rats grow exponentially and squirm a bit while they do it. That's it. The problem I have with this movie is more about the violence of the two rats fighting and the graphic quality of the stabbing. The good side is that it's a mother that's the hero(ine),
Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns November 18, 2008

Okay, can we get some sense of imagination here, people?

In the world of today, kids kinda need to be scared, and I think they like it more than they let on. With all the lies told by parents nowadays, kids need to be exposed to this kinda thing. This is one of the best movie adaptations ever! Perhaps it is too frightening for younger children. I guess maybe it would be a good idea to wait a while. Still, this is Don Bluth's best film and deserves a lot more respect.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byJemmy March 10, 2009

Great Entertainment For Everyone!

I have to say, this is the greatest animated fantasy ever made. There were some violent parts though, and some blood, but it had a pleasent ending. The animation is fabulous, and so are the special effects, music, and voice talents. This is a film that young and old people will enjoy. It was a faithfull adoption to Robert C. O'Brian's novel.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

Good

I love it it's a good movie, but 3-6 year olds might get scared at some parts.
Adult Written byAurelia143 April 9, 2008

Bad memories!

Granted, I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid...but my mother just told me she rented it for my son (who is 4) and my blood froze. I remember being horrified by this movie. I told her about it, what happens in the movie..and that I distinctly remember hating it. I would not recommend this movie for young kids..some older ones might be able to handle viewing it..but I wouldn't recommend it!
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2010

GOOD MOVIE

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I REMEMBER WATCHING IT WHEN I WAS IN THE THIRD GRADE. THIS MOVIE WASN'T SCARY AT ALL! I KNOW IT MAY BE A LITTLE DARK FOR LITTLE KIDS BUT, HEY WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU'LL GET USED TO IT.
Adult Written byPelloneus May 19, 2010

Great movie with a strong message.

I saw this movie for the first time when I was about 5 years old, and I loved it. Even though it was scary at times, the characters and story were wonderful. This was my first introduction to animal testing, and though I didn't think too much of it at the time, it became one of my main concerns later on as got older. Overall, this is an excellent movie with strong characters, beautiful art and animation, and a excellent story.
Adult Written byMike8555 May 6, 2010

It's to me a very good movie, but I also remember thinking it was extremely scary when I watched it at age 5-6 - this while a friend of mine, the same age, didn't find it scary at all. I watched it again last night, for the first time in over 15 years and I liked it a lot, without having to be scared this time, but there were no doubt things that I don't think that some children younger than 8 could handle well, such as the owl with the glowing eyes or the spider, as well as the laboratory where the animal testing takes place. It's no doubt a well made movie in all aspects but I think that parents should watch it themselves, before showing it to any kids younger than 8. For me it's more of a movie meant for the little older children as well as for adults who like animated films as it is a fairly dark film.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byQuQu May 17, 2011

Well made, but too scary and violent

Dark, scary and violent throughout, except for the very end. There are several scary looking characters, violent fight scenes, rats being forcefully injected with experimental substances in a lab and the main character's children drowning in mud (though miraculously saved). The animation is good and the ending is happy.
Kid, 10 years old December 5, 2009

Just as good as the Newbery-award-winning book.

It's a great animated movie, but the mouse's hole is almost run over by a tractor and one of the baby mice is sick with a bad cold.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008

Too Scary for 8 year olds

It's amazing how these ratings can go awry. This movie may have a G rating but it should have a PG-13. There are scary occultic sequences with witchlike characters, a very scary owl and mature situations wholly inappropriate for 8 year olds. It is too dark, ominous and frightening for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeAelita September 30, 2009

Great movie for all ages...

I used to love this movie, I was four when I first saw it - I liked it a LOT! :) I still like it somewhat..Its a pretty good movie :) Depending on ones tollerance for violence - it may be an issue or not..For me it never was :)
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2010

What I don't get...

.... is why it says this in the trailer. "And find the child inside us all." I haven't watched this movie, but I can tell it's very, very dark and I might watch it soon after reading the book.. The plot, I can tell, is heart warming. Mrs. 'Frisby' trying to save her son is a very good message.. and she's a wonderful role model.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 4, 2009

This isn't the type of animated movie that has a dark side covered with overdone cuteness like Disney was making at the time. This is quite open about its darkness.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011

i love this movie so much.its one of my favorites.its really interesting to watch.its amazing! i didn't find all that scary but for people who are easily scared they might want to be a little careful when watching this movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bytajishima June 9, 2010

A classic movie from the early 80's,but watch with small children with caution

The Secret of Nimh is one of the most powerful movies I remember seeing when I was four years old. Now I'm 32, and I REALLY miss this quality of hand drawn animation. For Parents, this is a great movie to watch with your children. However, be aware there are some scenes which are very distrubing to children, especially the animal experimentation scene. Just be aware that you need to talk to your children afterwards if they start to get scared about this distrubing scene. Apart from this one scene, the rest of this movie has wonderful artwork, and the backgrounds are so detailed, that you have to admire all the attention to details. This movie artwork is even impressive to this day (2010). Buy this movie and enjoy. The Secret of NIMH should be one of best animated movies of all times.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweeney_Todd April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee01 April 9, 2008

my review

when i first saw this i thought this was to scary for younger children