All member reviews for The Secret of NIMH

Fascinating, but very dark with some creepy imagery.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 July 20, 2011

Don Bluth's Exciting, But Intense Animated Classic

While a great movie this is certianly not G rated. It's from the eighties, but still should be PG. Violence- The Owl crushes a spider. Jenner kills Nicodemus, and he and Justin fight. Jenner and his minion's deaths have blood shown. Language- Justin says D-mn when Brisby's caught. Drugs- A main part of the movie is that someone has to drug the cat. Your children may be fine, but just in case preview it first. (You'll enjoy just as much)
Parent of a 7 year old Written byQuQu May 17, 2011

Well made, but too scary and violent

Dark, scary and violent throughout, except for the very end. There are several scary looking characters, violent fight scenes, rats being forcefully injected with experimental substances in a lab and the main character's children drowning in mud (though miraculously saved). The animation is good and the ending is happy.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011
i love this movie so much.its one of my favorites.its really interesting to watch.its amazing! i didn't find all that scary but for people who are easily scared they might want to be a little careful when watching this movie.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

Good

I love it it's a good movie, but 3-6 year olds might get scared at some parts.
Adult Written byPelloneus May 19, 2010

Great movie with a strong message.

I saw this movie for the first time when I was about 5 years old, and I loved it. Even though it was scary at times, the characters and story were wonderful. This was my first introduction to animal testing, and though I didn't think too much of it at the time, it became one of my main concerns later on as got older. Overall, this is an excellent movie with strong characters, beautiful art and animation, and a excellent story.
Adult Written byMike8555 May 6, 2010
It's to me a very good movie, but I also remember thinking it was extremely scary when I watched it at age 5-6 - this while a friend of mine, the same age, didn't find it scary at all. I watched it again last night, for the first time in over 15 years and I liked it a lot, without having to be scared this time, but there were no doubt things that I don't think that some children younger than 8 could handle well, such as the owl with the glowing eyes or the spider, as well as the laboratory where the animal testing takes place. It's no doubt a well made movie in all aspects but I think that parents should watch it themselves, before showing it to any kids younger than 8. For me it's more of a movie meant for the little older children as well as for adults who like animated films as it is a fairly dark film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeAelita September 30, 2009

Great movie for all ages...

I used to love this movie, I was four when I first saw it - I liked it a LOT! :) I still like it somewhat..Its a pretty good movie :) Depending on ones tollerance for violence - it may be an issue or not..For me it never was :)
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2009
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 4, 2009
This isn't the type of animated movie that has a dark side covered with overdone cuteness like Disney was making at the time. This is quite open about its darkness.
Adult Written byAurelia143 April 9, 2008

Bad memories!

Granted, I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid...but my mother just told me she rented it for my son (who is 4) and my blood froze. I remember being horrified by this movie. I told her about it, what happens in the movie..and that I distinctly remember hating it. I would not recommend this movie for young kids..some older ones might be able to handle viewing it..but I wouldn't recommend it!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008

Too Scary for 8 year olds

It's amazing how these ratings can go awry. This movie may have a G rating but it should have a PG-13. There are scary occultic sequences with witchlike characters, a very scary owl and mature situations wholly inappropriate for 8 year olds. It is too dark, ominous and frightening for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee01 April 9, 2008

my review

when i first saw this i thought this was to scary for younger children
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweeney_Todd April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylotusflower April 9, 2008

A favorite from my childhood!

A great adventure story, beautifully animated, funny, and a female protagonist to boot! Mrs. Brisby has to find courage to save her sick son, including going to the *scary* Great Owl for advice, and asking the Rats of NIMH to move her cinderblock house out of the way of the tractor-plow. Two of the rats are bad guys and they plot a murder and see it through! The two of them also wind up killed, one with a sword and the other with a dagger. Also, the flash-back story about how the Rats of NIMG escaped has some scary bits when they are sort of tortured, and the narrator sadly explains how some smaller mice who tried to excape in the air vents were blown away by the fans. Mrs. Brisby also finds out the true story behind the death of her children's father. Now as a kid, I was very sensitive about death, but for some reason, this movie didn't bother me, I think because when bad things happen, characters show how to deal with it maturely. For instance, when Mrs. Brisby finds out how her husband died, she is sad about it but greatful to have been told, and understanding of why she couldn't be told before. As with other better known classics by Don Bluth (All Dogs Go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail), the adventure is captivating because of the real danger characters face, but the skill of storytelling, the tenderness in the voice-acting, and the lightheartedness of the music, all combine to make the adventures fun and not too scary.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoldpaths April 9, 2008