All member reviews for The Shining

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie Goer 101 March 19, 2010

A masterpiece for mature young adults, but not for younger audiences

The Shining is Kubrick's iconic classic that is a film adaptation of the namesake novel, written by Stephen King. Albeit, with that saying, this movie is not aimed at the younger demographic. The main concerns for the film are violence, nudity, drug content, negative messages, and no role models. For violence, you see a man axe a guy in the chest (you see blood and the action take place). A young boy is strolling around on a motorcycle, while two girls are standing in the way. It cuts to flashbacks of dead bodies (drenched in blood, and you see gory wounds everywhere, highly graphic), while the girls say "Come and play with us Danny". A woman slits a man's hand with a knife (we see a moderate amount of blood on his hand, the action takes place). A man axes down a door, but nothing grotesque or violent happens after that. A man is holding a bat trying to smash a woman's brains out (he doesn't), but the woman hits him with the bat while he falls down a flight of stairs (no blood or gore). The Shining includes some gory kills and graphic situations that are very intense. As for the nudity, there is a scene where a woman steps out of the shower and you see full frontal nudity (breasts, nipples, pubic region visible), and a buttock shot. She starts kissing a man (the man is fully clothed). It turns out she's a corpse and we see the scars on her back. A woman sees a door open with two men. One man is crouched down on his knees and in a bare costume (you see his buttocks, but he's completely clothed beside that). While another man is seen on a bed (fully clothed). No actions take place but this scene heavily implies oral sex. For profanity, there are around a dozen f words and its derivatives, some anatomical and scatological terms, and mild obscenities. There are no positive messages and no good role models. The movie is basically about a man that is psychologically disturbed and as the film progresses, loses his sanity and becomes heavily delusional. Overall, a phenomenal film but not suitable for younger audiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written byerica921 May 14, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written byMeow314159 April 16, 2011

One of the best horror movies

I saw this movie and I LOVED it. It was genius! I thought the acting was amazing also. It does have language though, and there is one scene where it shows a woman taking a shower and I closed my eyes throughout the whole part. You HAVE to make sure your kid closes their eyes though because it shows everything. This scene is near the end of the movie and because I had heard about it, I was waiting to close my eyes the whole movie. It was really obvious when this scene was about to show up though, because it spent at least a minute zooming into the bathroom door. Also, there was a creepy and bizarre scene near the end when the mother walks in on two male ghosts, one dressed as a bear, doing inappropriate things, and the position is kind of obvious. I don't think there is a ton of violence in this movie, it's more of suspense. So, just cover your eyes and your kid's eyes during the inappropriate scene, and KEEP THEM COVERED BECAUSE IT GOES ON FOREVER. By the way, there are also some inappropriate paintings in the background.
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsallgood February 26, 2010

very scary.

I first saw this movie in December, 2007, so I was 11 years old, and I was pretty much scarred until around November, 2008. I was still pretty young when I saw this, and the eerie feel of the whole movie just got to me. Especially the ending parts. Like; the skeletons in the lobby, the man bleeding across his face saying "Great Party isn't it?" Now that scene right there, was singed into my brain for a few months. Also, where Jack is shown froze to death, and the two twins, I was extremely scared of this movie. I would NOT reccomend it for ANYONE who is not 13 yet.
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2009

MUST HAVE!!!!!!!

I'm 12 and love this movie, it's the best!!! Comical words and brill suspense!!! Love the characters and find it clever how it is films!!! Found nothing scary and my mum wasn't sure but now she has let my little brother (age 10) watch it because she said it is not scary!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byindigo0808 July 29, 2009

Great movie

I watched this movie when I was 10 and I was absolutely horrified. Good for ages 14+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGreg Foltynowicz October 23, 2011

Ok for older teens

This movie is very disturbing,but awesome. The violence is bloody. U see full frontal nudity of a women coming out of the tub.(1min. long) The only language is a couple F-bombs.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRowanLovesHorror August 1, 2010

Good movie, just not scary

I saw this movie when I was 12 years old, and it didn't scare me one bit.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySanjay407 October 28, 2011

Read

Rated R: Strong Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, and Average Drug Use
Teen, 16 years old Written byCallie2255 May 6, 2011

Traumatized at seven.

I am 16 and i watched this movie when i was 7 at a friend's house because her mom was dumb and the only part that stuck with me was the bathtub scene where danny see's the dead woman. I slept with my mom for about 3 years because i had so many nightmares. I'm still scared of bathrooms and still have nightmares. It's been 9 years can you consider me traumatized?
Teen, 14 years old Written byIronZombie75 November 1, 2009

Better for older teens

Okay, this movie is not an allout gorefest, but there are some bloody scenes (i.e. Blood literally flooding an entire room, disturbing images, a guyt gets chopped in bthe stomach with an axe) Warning: also has a very graphic scene of full nudity. Also has some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyeahbuddydotcom November 2, 2011

The shining

The Shining is a really good movie for young teenagers who like scary movies. It is not that gory but you see glimpses of two dead girls in a hallway for about a second. In one part you see full nudity of a girl but i saw the tv version so it didnt show it and i'm thirteen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeviejean November 1, 2011

Loved the movie

I'm 13, and I was expecting this movie to be terrifying,when really, it didn't scare me much at all! I thought it was a very well made, creepy movie, definitely eerie, with the two little girls and their 'come play with us danny' line,and the suspense of it all. A few F Bombs dropped but I mean, in fairness if i was a parent I wouldn't mind my children hearing bad language once they didnt say it themselves. I mean we've all heard the words. Then there was the bathroom scene, in fairness, everyone knows what a naked body looks like, but most children excuse themselves from watching that part, I know I would. The violence wasn't bad either, I mean despite people running around with knives and axes, nothing violent happened really except for one guy got hit with the axe and died and then there was the room full of blood which wasn't scary, just creepy. What i'm saying is, it depends what your child is able for. if that sort of thing scares them, dont let them watch it. don't let anyone who's not fully matured watch either, their brains aren't developed enough, you wouldn't know what goes on in their heads.
Kid, 12 years old October 8, 2011

FABULOUS movie, but not for kids

This movie was very good, although rather inappropriate. It was very scary and suspenseful at some times, with some blood and gore (not as much gore as I expected, but I still had to close my eyes!), and there are PLENTY of naked women scattered through out. Also, the f-bomb is dropped MANY times.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrombone1997 July 2, 2012

Very good horror movie, NOT FOR KIDS!

THE SHINING is based off of Stephen King's novel with the same title and is one of the best horror movies I have personally seen. I saw it when I was twelve and had already read the book. It has no positivity whatsoever, and the amount of violence is pretty strong for the time, but would probably still be R-rated today. The violence in the movie consists of two little girls being murdered with an axe (blood is splattered all over the walls and their insides are visible), a young boy's father accidentally dislocates his sons' shoulder (off-screen), that same young boy has a mark on his neck which indicates he was almost strangled to death, that young boy sees a disturbing image of blood pouring out of an elevator and blacks out, the young boy carries a knife at one point and writes REDRUM on the door in lipstick, a character is seen being killed with an axe, a character hits her husband in the head with a baseball bat, the young boy is being chased by his father through a maze with an axe, and a disturbing image of a character being frozen alive. One scene in the movie, you see a woman completely nude (full frontal) and her and a character begin to make out, then, that woman turns into a rotting old woman (still full frontal) chasing the character through the hotel room. The language in the movie is very strong. It has every single curse word in the dictionary...and then some. Good movie and good book, but it's definitely not for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenHorrorReviewer October 20, 2011

The Shining is a true horror masterpiece that will be remembered throughout history as one of the most disturbing and terrifying movie the world has ever seen.

The Shining is horror masterpiece that will inflict psychological fear into your mind. It bends the level of reality and the paranormal. The realistic timing of Jack going insane is truly terrifying. The influence of the spirits have on Jack are extremely realistic. The combination of psychological problems and disturbing images make this one of the most terrifying films the world has ever seen. This is not for younger kids. The language is fluent. Jack is an recovering alcoholic, it is suggested that he used to abuse Wendy and Danny. Blood flows through out. Such as it erupting from elevators, pouring out by the gallons. With plenty more. This is NOT for pre-teens and children. This is simply too terrifying for them.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjohnwi312 December 27, 2009

Best horror movie ever made.

The Shining is brilliant. Terrifying, hilarious, and perfectly made - a masterpiece. However, this is way too scary for kids. Some younger teens can handle it - there's brief violence, full-frontal female nudity, and a truly nervewracking atmosphere that might be too scary for even younger teens. For 13 and 14 year olds it probably depends on how much they can handle, but anyone older than that can definitely watch this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byB-KMastah June 21, 2012

Pivotal and extremely scary.

The Shining is the scariest movie ever made. It still sticks with me after so long. The entire thing is so unbearably eerie and utterly disturbing: the sound, the score, the sound of the beating heart in the background, the ambient noise of the wind, the huge landscape of a mysterious building and fact that a father is slowly descending into madness is nerve-wracking. The opening credits are scary as hell with the juxtaposition of the beautifully-shot landscapes and insanely creepy music with the simple, scrolling text credits. The tracking shots of Danny riding his Big Wheel down the hallway utilize such a fantastic use of blocking that restricts the audience's view to bleak, sullen emptiness. I can't withstand it without getting chills of feeling like eyes are watching me the whole time or hours afterwards. One of the best parts: there's very little blood. And maybe it's just me, but Shelley Duvall's face, teeth and bad acting at parts causes the perfect sense of brief comic relief between the immense horror. 9.9/10, one of the best films ever made, beyond incredible, godly, four thumbs up, A+, etc.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarieva Walton July 12, 2013

It's a classic, with some hesitations

In this rather violent, yet classic Stephen King masterpiece. I was 11 when I was first exposed to this movie, Despite the rather strong language, this movie contained a very emotional and disturbing plot, in which the possessed husband attempts to murder his wife and child. This movie is filled from beginning to end with gripping suspense, and a wild conclusion, that will make you think twice about leaving the light off at night. However, I strongly would recommend reading the book before watching this movie, and remember, this movie is rated R for a reason, If you are planning to let your child watch this movie, maybe consider letting them read the book first, or watch it with them! Overall I love this movie!
Kid, 12 years old September 27, 2011

Terryfuying

bloody gory scary terrifying epic