Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Smurfs 2

Mischief and slapstick fail to charm in un-smurfy sequel.

Adult Written byPittsburghmichaels February 2, 2018

Little Kids Show film sequel is a slighlt improvement

The sequel to the first piece of crap is all right. The plot is more tech advanced with tablet's and more effects from Gargamel which is only place for humor in any of these films. I do not like these films, I know little kids will like it. Somehow this film has a great cast.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 28, 2017
Some scary and gross moments.

Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 1, 2015

saw this with my kids

we were laughing so hard
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bycarlah August 31, 2014

Good Enough

It's a Smurf movie. If you are looking for high quality, this isn't it. However, once you get over that, it's pretty funny. My son is a VERY sensitive 4 year old and was totally happy. My 3 year old daughter was frightened by the scenes with Gargamel. For some kids, seeing a non-cartoon bad guy is really scary.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bywww.disneyjunior.com July 25, 2014

Movies

Movies

Parent of a 2, 3, and 5 year old Written byHeather.hm June 20, 2014

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymsmommypants September 27, 2013

painful to watch, poor Neil Patrick Harris

Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever been forced to spend money on. Annoying. Clearly meant to promote greater sales of kids meals at fast food chains with cheap plastic smurf toys.
Parent of a 5 and 16 year old Written byJess and Jack August 15, 2013

Go see this if you need to catch up on your sleep

I actually fell asleep in the movie theatre. The only thing that stopped me from falling out of my chair was that I had to keep putting my 5 yr. old daughter back into her seat because she kept crawling out of it. It didn't keep her interested either. A complete waste of 15 bucks

Adult Written byAnimaVita August 9, 2013

Beware - it is full of disturbing messages

I think the fil has much bigger flaws than being boring. 1) The most disturbing thing is, it gives racist messages - blue skin colour is good, brown/grey is bad. Instead of getting the message that goodness helps, kids get it wrong and think 'blue is a good skin colour and that's why it wins'. 2) Another disturbing message is about consuming healthy/unhealthy food. The human family in the film is doing their best to feed their child Blue with healthy, non-toxic food, but then the grandpa comes and distributes saussages to all the kids at the party. And because he is a hero in the stories, it gives the message that healthy food is not cool but the processed meat is. Not to mention it does not have any respect for people of different dietary preferences. 3) Candy shop is another problem - wrong message about consuming too much sugar, while there is the problem of obesity. 4) And I totally agree with the review above about sexism and not-so-pleasant jokes with sexual language.

Adult Written bydanalevitan August 8, 2013

Peanut Allergy Mockery par for course in humorless movie

Agree with the Common Sense assessment. While my 7 year old liked it, it was painful for an adult to sit through. I didn't laugh through the entire movie. My biggest complaint, however, is that they made a mockery of a peanut allergy, which my daughter has. She was very uncomfortable seeing something that could literally kill her be taken so lightly on such a big screen. Two very big thumbs down!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byCaidan2005 August 2, 2013

Nicely presented the positive influence a step parent or adopted family can have on a child.

I thought the movie was much better than the review let on and is worth seeing. I took my twin boys, 8 years old. They were on the edge of their seats, with fabulous giggles, a number of times. The movie offered a very positive message about families and nicely presented the positive influence a step parent or adopted family could have on a child. Important given that step parents, especially, are often demonized. It was nice to see a positive message. Worth taking the kids too, I think.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 9 year old Written byOhHeyGirlll August 1, 2013

I don't know

I haven't seen it, but seeing the old Smurfs comparing to this one, It's a skip! I see no point and there really isn't a plot or a moral, sure it's sweet I guess and good for kids, but it has the usual slapstick and the cheesy jokes. It's a bit cute to be honest with you, and yes there is lots of smurf slang that replaces bad words, but I'm sure all kid movies do it. Seems fine for kiddos, might not attract teens from all the other summer flicks. Im not sure, but maybe..

Parent Written bypatel002 August 1, 2013

Mixed good and bad messages

I think there is positive messages about family but I was utterly dissappointed by the scene of Smurfette's dream that she turned "bad". She went from blond to brunette - suggesting that brunette was bad. This is a very strong and significant scene in the movie and my brunetter daughter noticed it. VERY dissappointed about images in movies that blonde is beautiful and dark haired brunettes are not - especially worse to see it in children's movies.