Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Smurfs

Not enough bright spots in disappointing adaptation.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byjaywdet August 5, 2011

Is what it is.

You will probably take away what you expect to from this movie. If you go into this movie expecting an awful movie not worthy of the title, then you will probably find plenty of scenes to support that. However, if you go into this movie expecting nothing more than something to entertain your children for an hour and a half, you won't be disappointed. This movie is purely for the kids, and mine really enjoyed it. It won't win any oscars, and no single kid will lose an ounce of sleep over that. It's not memorable, the writing is disappointing, the humor is simple, but the kids will laugh!!! It is what it is. For the record, a few parents walked out of the movie, and I do agree that the language was poor. I just didn't think it was bad enough to warrant walking out. I guess I expected them to ruin the smurfs, so in that, I wasn't shocked or disappointed. My kids made a few crude "smurf" comments after the movie, and I parented them. They stopped. If you dislike Looney Tunes because of violence, then you won't like this. The violence is no worse. It's slapstick.

Adult Written byfattytuna1234 August 4, 2011

Had high hopes but bla

Adult Written byobietiger August 2, 2011

It says PG for a reason

We loved the Smurfs.You have to see it in 3D its was just great.The only thing we were a little disappointed about was that Grandpa,the Smurflings and baby were missing.Sassette was my favorite characters as a kid so it sad not to see her.Other then that was worth ever penny a must see.The label on the movie does say PG and they needed adult jokes as it mostly adult who remember the cartoon.I hate when parents complain because they see the rating PG on a movie and then take their kids to see then complain because it has some adult content there is a reason isn't rated G this isn't a Disney movie I mean on use some comsense .The Marilyn Monroe screen is harmless the Smurf was wearing pants under his kilt you couldn't see anything.The original Smurfs was a sexist show up until Sassette there was one female and she acted like pretty princess who wanted everything her way so that no way went away from the original show.Smurfette wasn't so pretty when she was first made and the other Smurfs didn't like her until Papa turned her pretty and blond.She even made the the comment you like what you see well you soon will on the cartoon if you watch the original episode it was clearly a full of sexist comments. They also used the term Smurf up on the cartoon many times and as a child I never found myself repeating it.I think parents have gone way to far with this trying to protect their kids from very little thing.We watched this stuff as kids and our generation acted lot better then kids do now.Yes this movie is bit much for 6 or 4 year old but if you read the label PG you wouldn't be taking a child that young to go see it.We gave this movie 4 stars and will buy when it comes out on DVD

Parent Written byImjustsaying August 2, 2011

Great movie!

I loved this movie. Hank was great as the wizard. I loved that the movie took place in NYC and that it had real people in it. That makes it fun for adults to watch. I really liked this movie.
Adult Written by858091 August 2, 2011

Food for Thought

It's unfortunate that Hollywood has forgotten how to make a kids movie...With all the sexual innuendos and language covered up with the word "smurf". It is not a movie I would want very young children to watch...Although some parents may say that these will go right over their kids heads, they should realize that their kids are like sponges absorbing everthing around them which will sooner or later be seen in there language and behavior...Just some food for thought...

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byMel739 August 1, 2011

Save your time and money (unless your a BIG smurf fan)

Really too long of a movie for a most childrens attention span. Not the worst thing to have to watch if you need a family movie... but not worth running out to see or buy.
Adult Written bymomoftwoinma August 1, 2011

Capture and Torture of Papa Smurf WAY over the top!

I was bothered by the scary violence. My 4 year-old daughter was horrified by scenes featuring Gargamel capturing and torturing Papa Smurf. She is used to antagonistic characters from the Disney films and is fine with them. But this was over the top for a kids movie. She has been scared to sleep alone since we saw the movie...

Parent of a 3, 5, and 9 year old Written byrockpounder family July 30, 2011

Terrible

I could do without the fact of substituting "smurf" for curse words. Also that the director totally miss the mark on this one - he was way off. If you are going to bring animation to life - bring it through parallel - keep the story line positive and they will come. When I grew up seeing this.. enough said. This is not what I saw growing up.Try again.

Adult Written bycoloradobutterfly July 29, 2011

Harmless and Cute Movie to Escape the Summer Heat

It was cute. The actor who plays Gargamel is really funny and plays the part well.

Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written byElizabethW July 29, 2011

Very disappointed

This is simply a crude version of the 1980's smurfs we all used to watch. The language was something I did not appreciate. Even though they substituted "smurf" for a lot of it, I still considerd it very offensive and innapropriate. I also agree with the above reviewer that the sexual innuendo was innapropriate. We took our children to see it since they liked watching some of the older smurf cartoons, but we ended up walking out early on and doing something else as a family. I wish I would have waited for more reviews and not blindly trusted the 6 and up rating from commonsense media.

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byjengrammer July 29, 2011

Rude, sexualized smurfs

Using the word "smurf" as a substitute is still crude. I wouldn't want my 6 year old going around telling people to "smurf off". It was totally unecessary to do this. And the sexual innuendos were terrible to see. Smurfs wanting to look up Smurfette's skirt? Terrible. They took an innocent fun cartoon and did what they always do - sexualized it and made it rude and crude. No way I'm taking my kids to see this.