All member reviews for The Soloist

Memorable, sometimes gritty drama about music, friendship.

Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 7, 2010

A good cast and an A-rate script make up for this urban drama's flaws

The Soloist is based on the inspiring story of violin prodigy Nathaniel Ayers, who, in 2005, was living on the streets and then taken in by a successful newspaper columnist. The movie does good following the story, but what really stands out is the script. It's smart and true, and the performances are deeply moving. The movie also has a playful sense of humor, and a great way of forming climatic scenes. This is a drama, but it will appeal to many fans of differnt genres anyway. As far as content goes, there is a lot of language for a PG-13 (two f-words, a dozen s-words and a handful of other profanities), and some drinking. But nothing too bad. 11 year-olds should be fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysoccerchic June 19, 2011

inspiration no worry's just the good stuff

i am 13 yrs old and wouldn't advise showing this movie to a 9yr old that wasn't mature for his/her age...they would possibly still think it was boring...there was nothing sexual at all...some cussing not bad though possibly d**n a couple of times...the thing that freaked me out a little was the voices he heard in his head because he was a skitsofrynic(sorry if i misspelled it but he had a phsycological disorder) it was so pitiful...in this movie Robert Downey Jr. was a very good role model and had a very good lesson for us all...he helped a man who he believed could be so much more and this guy was a hobo that most people in today's world would think wow he is crazy do not get involved with him he might kill you or avoid him at all costs he's weird but he accepted him and tried to help him through the hardships he had gone through and the hardships he continued to go through with his phsycological disorder! it was truly inspiring
Parent Written byjhartsock81 April 12, 2011

Unlikely friendship.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEricCarrRulez March 19, 2011

good movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

this is inspirational

freindship is a wonderful thing and i think this a movie that elaborates on that a little more this is a movie in my opinion is wonderfully amazing and thats all i can say.
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2010

Nearly Flawless

A character gets in a bike accident at the beginning, but only his cuts and wounds are shown. Also, a character has schizophrenia, and the voices he hears get kind of scary and intense. The language includes the word "son of a b--ch" about three times, "s--t" about six times, and "f--k" twice (once with the suffix "-ed", once with the suffix "-ing"). In addition, there is a lot of smoking, some drinking, and an elderly woman mentions that she thought her husband was on cocaine. I wouldn't say this was the best movie I've ever seen, but it was very well made, considering that usually when you put two really famous actors in a movie it ends up really stupid (this being an exception), and it had a very great plot.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTermiteruler July 7, 2010

Plotless

This movie had gotten pretty positive reviews, but I was very dissapointed. It would actually have been good if the plot had been explained. It is a series of disconnected flashbacks, random music sequences, and lashouts by Mr. Ayers. You don't even know he's schizophrenic until the last 10 minutes of the movie. Everything is dragged out, and then quickly rushed in at the very end of the movie. It could have been a wonderful and inspiring piece of friendship and music if the director had decided to PLAN before he filmed.Contentwise, there is some blood at a crime scene and some drug use, but the drug addicts are in such horrific conditions (LAMP District), I doubt it will encourage your kids to try them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMeow314159 May 31, 2010

boring but good message

It was okay, although I thought it was a too boring.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykobukgirl96 January 21, 2010

okay first of all "that character" has a mental disorder he can not control what he does and persondally I love music it is what inspires me to do things I would never be able to do so I think this movie is amazing, nathaniels strength and musical talents is amazing, the journalist is a great friend and it really showed what the streets of LA look like and this movie is the best.
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2010

Beautiful true story, some tense scenes and themes

I highly reccomend this movie, its a fantastic drama about friendships and although its quite slow, I think mature children (12+) will apreciate it. There is no sex, but there is some disturbing images of homeless people, riots on the street, and mental illness plays a big part in the film, so maybe parents would like to discuss issues like poverty, homelessness, unemployment and mental illness with their children if there unsure about it, but it isn't too graphic and it is a beautiful film.
Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

allright 12 and up

it all right truth is kids might see it kind of boring 12 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written bymattthemovieman August 10, 2009

pretty good drama

brief strong language,and a kinda disturbing fight scene
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 July 27, 2009

Excellent film a tinch mature for 7-11
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byroseannamccoy June 3, 2009

Jamie fox was a great actor, but the movie was draging a bit
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2009

4 11 and up great movie

this movie was good and the message was great. it was u can still be ill and do your best. the language was deep with 2 f-bombs, but i got 2 see it cause the message was great.this movie is for 11 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 2, 2009

Jamie and Downey give it their all

A fine movie for most teens who don't mind some strong language, lot of talk of addiction, a fair amount of real life violence, and ESPECIALLY cello music, which I thought was pretty classy.
Adult Written bymilo122 April 29, 2009

im a 12 year old and it was kind of boring

it was good at some parts but as a twelve year old i didnt like it that much it didnt keep my interest...
Educator and Parent of an infant and 6 year old Written byshaycarter April 27, 2009