All member reviews for The Sound of Music

Outstanding family film features glorious music.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byletticepalmer February 19, 2011

Musical Numbers Great For All Ages!

We have been showing our 2 year old the musical numbers and he loves them. Do-Re-Mi, My Favorite Things, So Long, Farewell, and Lonely Goatherd all are fantastic out of context. We have tried to watch the movie with him from the beginning, but in the first 30 minutes so much of it was going over his head that he quickly lost interest and walked up to the TV to turn it off. We'll just stick to the musical parts until he is quite a bit older.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bystarbuck65 October 17, 2009

Excellent for a musically inclined, thoughtful child

This was a huge hit with my 4 year old daughter. She's seen it dozens of times by now, though rarely all the way through because it's long. Parts of it took some explaining, of course, but most of the characters are readily understandable and the songs are instantly accessible and addictive. I'm not sure there's a better way for a child to first encounter the huge topic of the Nazis: they're introduced well into the film as obviously bad but in a very nondescript way, they're ominous but not explicitly violent.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAmyWP September 8, 2010

First half perfect for preschoolers

Our 3.5 year old daughter adores this movie, but she only sees the 1st half of the show (we end it after "So Long, Farewell"). I think that the chase & gun scenes later in the movie would be very scary to her right now, but the 1st half of the movie is just right for a preschooler with lots of singing, dancing, etc. A bonus for our household: The scene with "My Favorite Things" features a thunderstorm, which has made our daughter less fearful about lightning and thunder in general.
Parent Written bymikalulu March 21, 2011

Great for the entire family

Love this for watching with my 4 year old and 18 month old. Pick any disney movie, any one ... an it is scarier than this. The singing is lovely and my girls love to dance and clap along. There is some close dancing and a couple of kiss scenes.
Parent Written byaneelee August 19, 2010

Perfect beginning for discussions on war and non-violence

Movies, especially recent releases, are sensory overload for my daughter and this was an absolutely perfect experience for her. Not to say that there weren't tears and/or emotional bits for her - when Maria leaves and the end when she is unsure if they will get away. There are a few things within the movie that warrant conversation after: 1) being from a non-christian home there was quite a bit of discussion of convents/nuns. 2) war and non-violence I think it was a perfect vehicle for discussing war with younger children because the characters she grew to love were ones that were against the war and choosing non-voilence (taking gun from the young boy even). Not a single shot or act of violence (not even comedic) throughout the ENTIRE movie which gets it a big thumps up from our family.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

fun even for the toddlers

I was suprised that this was rated for 5+. My son began to love this at age 2. the music is brilliant and he loved seeign the child actors. the scenes toward the end when the family is being pursued at the convent are really the only ones requiring the fast-forward.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010

The kids love the music

We love this movie, but we always end it at the wedding, the kids love dancing to the music.
Adult Written byMom of 2 Girls April 9, 2008

What a great family film! Still enjoyable today!!

I was surprised to find my 4-year-old loved this movie, too! She did leave the room as it ran on & on (it is a very LONG film), but we'd pause as it came to the scenes I thought she'd enjoy (the scenes with the children singing), and she's wanted to see it again and again. If anyone in your family loves to sing (skill not required), let me recommend looking for the two-disc DVD release with the sing-a-long. It's great to be able to just pick and choose favorite songs and sing along with the scene (words appear at the bottom of the screen).
Teen, 13 years old Written bySarra Fobes June 23, 2015

The best movie ever

This is a truly amazing movie I love how musical and inspiring it is.
Parent Written byQinzhou July 15, 2013

Try PAUSING after the wedding for younger children

For younger children and those not ready to handle real life fear of family almost being detected by Nazis, END the film at the stained glass scene at the end of the wedding. Its believable as an ending. I love this movie but I have had enough sweet singing by this point anyway! If you wait until children ready for WW2 content, they may be too old to appreciate the rest of the story.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHaileyMarie July 10, 2013

Classic Musical for All Ages!

I can't even describe how brilliant this movie is! A classic that you will want to watch over and over! It's become my favorite movies of all time! I don't even remember how old I was when I first watched it. Probably like 5 or 6. The songs are awesome, catchy, and beautiful. There are very positive role models and lots of educational value considering the movie takes place during The Last Golden Years in Austria before WW2. No drugs, violence, or sex. A couple good, CLEAN jokes. A kissing scene with Maria and Captain Von Trapp, but it doesn't lead to anything else. Kids of any age should be able to watch this with no problems at all.
Kid, 8 years old May 27, 2013

Do Rem I Fa So Lat ti

A great film best movie seen!!
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2011

SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOD!!!!

This is the best movie of all time! Great actors, and the best is Julie Andrews! The songs are beutiful, couragous, fun, sweet, expressive, and inspirational! The movie shows that people always love you, and that they can have a change of heart. It is a movie for the whole family! Little ones, parents, and even teens love this movie! And its educational! The history is about World World 2 coming. The kids are funny, sweet, and intelligant. There is barly any violence, and so what if someone is put at gun point, in this movie it doesn't matter. Any violence leads back to the history. And there has always been violence when it comes to history. This is the ultimate classical family movie package!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byuscdonna March 31, 2011

Great Family Watch Together Movie - make Popcorn!

My five year old daughter just watched for the first time and hasn't stopped singing the songs. Loved the kids. The parts I was concerned might worry her, she didn't seem to care about and she really took to the kids and the music.
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2010

OMG, love this movie even though it is so old. So romantic and its just such a good movie with very good songs.
Educator and Parent Written bystephen melinger May 25, 2015

Great Movie but Why Change the Stars

This movie would be just as great or greater if the original stars, Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel were cast. Martin and Bikel had the musical ability that is lacking here. The wonderful music deserved to be delivered by the best talent available. The mean Nazis in the plot are really not portrayed as evil as they were but after all this is a musical not a documentary.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byBobCat75 March 4, 2015

A beautiful must see for anyone with a heartbeat

An all-time family classic, that even my children of 6 and 8 ask to watch. There are serious moments that may need explaining to young ones, but nothing inappropriate.
Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2015

adventurous and alive

feel good family musical with continues singing and happy moments. some mild flirtation and kissing but catchy songs with a delightful ending
Parent Written byjsnz December 21, 2014

Completely delightful - but stop early for sensitive kids!

A fun, uplifting movie full of positive messages - until it gets a little scary. On the plus side: joyous music, the transformation of a man opening to life, a young woman coming into her own, and lovely messages in song about how changing how you look at things can shift your whole life (such as My Favorite Things and I Have Confidence in Me). Stopping at the end of the wedding scene is a good idea for any sensitive kid, no matter what their age. Following another reviewer's suggestion, I watched with my 5 and 9 year old daughters until there. Then I checked out the rest of it on my own (it has been a really long time since I watched it!). While there is nothing obviously scary right away to children who are seeing it and have no context for, say, marching soldiers or the Nazi flag, this was enough to get my nerves going a bit and my girls are sensitive enough to pick up on that! And the tempo sort of picks up bit by bit from there. But do watch the first part! Lovely fun, much slower paced than today's movies (so good for us sensitive types) and lots of positive stuff. Enjoy!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppycorn123 December 20, 2014

SO FREAKIN GOREY!

I hate this movie! I hate when Maria sings about murdering, it just makes my case worse (I have an issue that if I see murders, I tend to want to murder them).