All parent member reviews for The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

Parent Written byjohn in mn August 15, 2011

Adult humor in a kids show

I never understood the draw to this character? The movie is terrible and not appropriate for any young age. Has hidden adult humor all throughout the show that kids just don't get yet. Let your kid watch this, they'll grow up violent and stupid.
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Underrated

When i saw this in the theater, my family and I were the only people laughing in the whole theater. Some people just don't find Spongebob funny
Adult Written byfonzieg March 29, 2015

A little edgy, but still a fun animated flick for kids!

If you're a fan of SpongeBob, and if you love absurd and funny jokes, you are sure to love this flick! I am a huge fan of the SpongeBob TV show, and to be honest, i like this movie more than the TV show! A few jokes and references in this movie may go over kids heads, but this movie is wholesome family entertainment with some charm and good natured laughs!
Parent Written byloldoge333 January 21, 2015

Awesome Movie!

My kidjjido loves sponge bob and saw this movie on Nickelodeon, and she loved it! All you really have to do isn't never to streak, and don't act ice cream drunk shen they have ice cream at school. It is still one of her favorites today.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

an ok movie with some suggestive content

there is some suggestive content in this movie like: brief non realistic cartoon nudity, patric has a crush on a mermaid and shows it with his words and the exspretions on his face, very very brief language, and lots of peril and vilonce.
Adult Written bymissmanzana April 9, 2008

From a mom who actually likes Spongebob...

But hear me out! I think a lot of the negative perception of Spongebob is because people haven't really watched the show. And in my opinion, as the TV show goes, so goes this movie. It's like a very long episode. I agree that there are negative characters on the show, notably lick-penny boss Mr. Krabs and morale-draining co-worker Squidward. But Spongebob himself is a ray of sunshine. He is unrelentingly upbeat (except for the getting drunk on ice cream scene herein, which most kids will not get). He is a champion of positive attitude and cooperation. Granted, Taxi Driver, it ain't. It's not even Finding Nemo. But it is harmless fun. The specifics that people seem to be objecting to are not so different than the jokes for adults that are always thrown in to better kids movies (so we don't claw out our own eyes.) 8-) Lighten up.
Adult Written byatesmom April 9, 2008

Not even worth the money!!

I cannot believe that people would let their kids watch this stuff. The cartoon is not interesting and the movie is even worse!
Adult Written byn8chiro April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjdc April 9, 2008
Educator Written bymaddox121 July 18, 2016

YES! YES! YES! Great movie for everyone!

Don't ban it because of the villain saying the "d" word.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent of a 3, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan April 9, 2015

Silly with choice words and violence

I see quite a few people have issue with the naked bum of Patrick. That didn't bother me. The violence was a little much. Even worse, for me, is the language. Words such as stupid, jerk, idiot, and if you listen carefully at the beginning you hear 'jack##s'
Educator and Parent of a 2 year old Written bynina.gold November 17, 2014

Thumbs up for the talking cheese! :)

My almost 3 yo loves the talking cheese :D It's important to realize that different individuals get different messages from the same piece/event/movie etc What message comes across and how it's perceived and received depends entirely on the audience. I say trust your child and your good example and allow your child to form his own opinion and draw his own lessons and conclusions from this movie. There's a lesson to draw from everything, this movie included :) You might like to read this article on the educational value of SpongeBob : http://www.psychologyinaction.org/2012/05/13/the-values-in-sponge-bob-sq...
Parent of a 6, 15, 15, and 17 year old Written by79awesome August 27, 2013

Spongebob is fine

Spongebob is hilarious even the movie makes it better its totally kid safe some violence and name calling but other wise kid safe
Parent Written bySam Thomas August 5, 2012

Very good and suitable for all ages

This is harmless, a film for both parents and children. It has nothing inapropriate in and all children should be allowed to watch it. Do not listen or pay any attention to reviews saying they should be something ridiculous like 12 or 13. Suitable for all ages and a very good film, your children will love it.
Parent Written byChessPiece19 July 25, 2012

A Lesson

Here is a lesson in why so many adults can not stand this show: ever since the dawn of cartoons, they have reflected instincts we humans have to judge the characteristics of people and things depending on the simplest of things: their shape. For example, Super Mario: Mario is short, rotund, and sorta plushy. The most common shape on him is a circle. Same for Mickey Mouse, Arnold, etc. We associate circles and curves with positivity and protagonists, and when we see a protagonist like Spongebob, who is essentially a rectangle, with "square pants", it goes against our primal instincts, and leaves us perplexed and angry, at which point we write angry reviews on this site. The most circular character is actually Squidward, who is mean and rude. We expect mean people to be more pointy or triangular, like Bowser with his spikes all over his body and triangular shape in his normal position. But instead the triangular character, Patrick, is the loveable dope. But the truth is, these things aren't always true in real life. It's perfectly fine for a kid not to judge a book by it's cover. So don't project your deeply rooted hatred on children like this. I would reccommend this show to any kid at least 6.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 21, 2012

EVEN MORE SPONGIER!!!

I was probably more excited than any other kid to see SpongeBob on the big screen! It is just like the show except this time, it actually has some positive messages for kids! I love this movie! Did you know there's a SEQUEL to this movie coming in 2014?! I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Adult Written bybaba 1 May 17, 2012

SpongeBob SqaurePants The Movie

This is even better than the TV show! But meant for older kids. Mainly because at the begining Patrick is flying on a banner naked shouting " HOORAY FOR SPONGEBOB!! " You can see Patrick's bum.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byeelee February 10, 2012

Pretty awesome!

Sure, there's some violent scenes, and Spongebob/Patrick get "drunk" off of ice cream, but COME ON! Do you know how much kids get into these days?
Parent Written byhelper + February 10, 2012

FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has positve messages in it